00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Pomnicaine43 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,855,243 Views | 59,825 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-07 21:55:07

What do you guys think of my new decals :) Put one on my scooter and one on my laptop.

Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-07 23:42:53

http://i32.tinypic.com/2cqk3d0.jpg Anyone know what anime he's from?

...The sun will set for you. And the shadow of the day; will embrace the world in grey. And the sun will set for you...

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-08 00:23:52

A friend suggested I should watch Howl's Flying Castle.

I came.

She is awesome.

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-08 03:29:00

At 12/8/09 12:23 AM, Tykwa wrote: A friend suggested I should watch Howl's Flying Castle.

I came.

She is awesome.

I always thought Howl's Moving Castle was the worst Miyazaki film.

Sure it's visually amazing, like most other Miyazaki films, but narratively it was incomprehensible. It's just a bunch of shit happening with no explanation.

Aigis - Putting the 'ai' back in 'Aigis'.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-08 04:50:20

At 12/7/09 09:55 PM, UCanCallMeJesus wrote: What do you guys think of my new decals :) Put one on my scooter and one on my laptop.

Pretty cool there chief! I'd come to your house and mess up the place for those if I could.

At 12/7/09 11:42 PM, xXDiseaseXx wrote: http://i32.tinypic.com/2cqk3d0.jpg Anyone know what anime he's from?

The thought in the back of my mind keeps nagging 'Fate/Stay Night' but I'm probably way off.

That or a really emotional Edward from FMA.

Speaking of, latest episode was pretty good. Explanations and the what not, encountering sloth and putting him down etc...

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]

XBL / PSN - Voidist

Malice is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-08 14:46:18

At 12/8/09 04:50 AM, Kisuke wrote: Pretty cool there chief! I'd come to your house and mess up the place for those if I could.

My house is already messed up.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-08 20:48:42

Well, I didn't really have much luck finding any pictures I liked with those suggestions, thanks for the thought though. Also, do you think you could find a picture similar to the one I posted, but maybe if he had silver hair? A guy in a black trench coat with silver/white, medium length hair? Or at least a good site or two to find anime pictures.

Thanks in advance, and thanks again for the help.

...The sun will set for you. And the shadow of the day; will embrace the world in grey. And the sun will set for you...

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-09 11:03:23

Welcome back, Tink, unless you're gone again, already.

At 12/2/09 01:10 AM, Mendou wrote:
At 12/2/09 12:35 AM, HibiscusKazeneko wrote:
That guy you posted reminds me of Arthur Reed.
What

ah sees it, but it's Read.

At 12/4/09 05:42 AM, Aigis wrote: I came across an animated signature picture on another forum depicting a loop of the first 7 seconds of the Lucky Star theme song.

I watched it repeat itself for two minutes and realised exactly why people hate the show.

koinki dinks. we just got a new member on MMJ who has an animated avvy from the theme. I...just don't get it.

I agree with you on Howl. weakest Miyazaki movie. I still liked it, but every single other movie I've seen by him is better.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-09 11:17:54

At 12/7/09 09:55 PM, UCanCallMeJesus wrote: What do you guys think of my new decals :) Put one on my scooter and one on my laptop.

Hello, Chris Antonelli!

Next time, please disguise your school papers before posting them online.

Where'd you get those decals? Did they come with a Polysics album or something?

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-09 12:58:59

So how 'bout that Kodomo No Jika?

I don't take revenue from my profile.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-10 11:35:44

At 12/9/09 12:58 PM, JohnnyWang wrote: So how 'bout that Kodomo No Jika?

I saw a couple of episodes and LOL'd my head halfway off.
Too bad it can never be legitimately licensed; Seven Seas even had to drop the manga due to fear of FBI intervention.

I maek lolz. I play Steam. I fight for genital integrity.

Anything else you need?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 02:30:15

I just wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions, and for being very polite. I will leave Ya'll alone now.
You can stay you know. It's always nice to have fresh faces every now and again in here.

I will take that offer if it it is still available. You guys were so nice and helpful that I wanted to come back. Anyway, thanks for the invite.
*Scans page for something to relate to*

A friend suggested I should watch Howl's Flying Castle.
I always thought Howl's Moving Castle was the worst Miyazaki film ever.

No offense, but that is not his fault. As the movie is based off of his favorite author Diana Wynne Jones. He has done several of her books already, Howl's Moving Castle is just the most recent. Remember Castle in the Air/Sky, another of her books he made into a movie. So if the story is what drags the movie down, blame Diana Wynne Jones, not him.

He is a phenomenal director and animation master, but he has a unique taste when it comes to picking out story's to portray. I mean seriously look at his track record: Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Kiki's delivery service, The Cat Returns, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, and now Ponyo. The only thing all of these masterful creations have in common is they are extremely imaginative, and they all incorporate flying scenes somehow.

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 05:48:53

At 12/11/09 02:30 AM, LinaInverseFan wrote: No offense, but that is not his fault. As the movie is based off of his favorite author Diana Wynne Jones.

Actually, it's entirely his fault.

He was the one who directed it, and he was the one who wrote the screenplay. He adapted it from a novel, and he adapted it poorly.

It's not a novel's fault if a film is bad. A good film can be made out of a bad novel, and a bad film can be made out of a good novel. Howl's Moving Castle was just a generally narratively poorly done film.

Also, Laputa: Castle in the Sky is an original story by Hayao Miyazaki. Castle in the Air is a completely different story (it's about a genie). Only the title is similar.

I believe the only other Miyazaki film based on a novel was Kiki's Delivery Service.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 08:47:45

At 12/4/09 05:42 AM, Aigis wrote: I came across an animated signature picture on another forum depicting a loop of the first 7 seconds of the Lucky Star theme song.

I watched it repeat itself for two minutes and realised exactly why people hate the show.

By the way, I just realised that the characters on the show can be very easily seen as analogues of characters from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Konata - Haruhi
Kagami - Kyon
Tsukasa - Itsuki
Miyuki - Mikuru + Yuki
The comic book guys - Any of the organisations that had an interest in Haruhi

This also sets up some interesting questions when you consider the fact that Haruhi is God, and can shape reality to her will. Perhaps at some point in the future of the series, Haruhi discovers that crazy shit is real and that the world is boring colours and decides that it's not for her. So she creates a universe where shit is mundane, the colours are impossible, and everyone leaves her the fuck alone and doesn't pay any attention to her.

She took her favourite yes man along with her, in the form of Tsukasa. She created Miyuki out of the most attractive parts of Mikuru and Yuki in some sort of bizarre genetic experiment to create the most MOE ^____^ character ever.

And as for Kyon, I believe it was established in the first episode of The Melancholy that Haruhi was bisexual so, to spice things up for new-Haruhi, in this universe he's been gender bendered.

In this universe she subconciously loves The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, because the main character literally is her, albeit in a previous universe incarnation.

Of course, due to the meta-textuality of Lucky Star, even crazier layers are added to the Haruhi onion to the point where it's starting to look like the world's largest onion.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 12:38:32

At 12/11/09 08:47 AM, Aigis wrote: Tsukasa - Itsuki

Alright enough theory, except for that. I just don't see any overlap.

Anyway, the following may shock you, so bbe warned, there's something in the dark text whicch may shake your world:

Most characters in all fiction ever is based one a set of archtypes, that the writers give a few new twists.

MIND = BLOWN.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 14:07:00

At 12/11/09 12:38 PM, JohnnyWang wrote: Alright enough theory, except for that. I just don't see any overlap.

There seems to be quite a clear overlap between the way Kagami reacts to Konata, and Kyon reacts to Haruhi. Although the characters in Lucky Star are naturally less mean spirited overall.

As for the Miyuki thing, my idea was that she was a combination of the smart 'meganekko' aspects of Yuki, and the clumsy, adorable, well-endowed aspects of Mikuru.

Anyway, the following may shock you, so bbe warned, there's something in the dark text whicch may shake your world:

Most characters in all fiction ever is based one a set of archtypes, that the writers give a few new twists.

MIND = BLOWN.

Well obviously.

But I don't usually let real world truths get in the way of jokes that I'm making.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 14:27:22

No offense, but that is not his fault.
Actually, it's entirely his fault.

Claws in much? Reow!

A good film can be made out of a bad novel, and a bad film can be made out of a good novel.

I agree with you on this point, only I reverse your opinion that he did a bad job.

Also, Laputa: Castle in the Sky is an original story by Hayao Miyazaki. Castle in the Air is a completely different story (it's about a genie). Only the title is similar.

Alright then. I read her Howl, and watched his Howl. I watched his Castle in the Sky and ASSUMED it was the same case. Thing about assuming something is it only makes an "ASS out of U and ME".

I guess it all comes down to opinion. You disliked Howl, I liked Howl. I think he is a great director and knows how to illustrate imaginative stories. We concur to remain civil, and express our opinions?

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 14:40:14

At 12/11/09 02:27 PM, LinaInverseFan wrote: Thing about assuming something is it only makes an "ASS out of U and ME".

Nah, really you were the only one it made an ass out of.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 14:54:06

Thing about assuming something is it only makes an "ASS out of U and ME".
Nah, really you were the only one it made an ass out of.

It's an old expression and I meant it to be funny.

Also what is this "Lucky Star VS The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya" thing your talking about? I have no idea what either show or movie your referring to is about.

We concur to remain civil, and express our opinions?

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 15:36:20

Also,, both shows are from TrollAni, so yeah, overlaps are abundant.

Personally, I like my Haruhi / Ouran theory. Both have a chharacter names Haruhi, but the catch is, in Ouran, the one called Haruhi is actually Kyon. Tamaki is Haruhi, the twins are Itsuki, Kyoya and Mori are Yuki, and Hani is Mikuru. Renge is Tsuruya.

And I can almost hear certain members RAGE as they read this.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-11 22:18:56

At 12/11/09 03:36 PM, JohnnyWang wrote: Also,, both shows are from TrollAni, so yeah, overlaps are abundant.

Well, yes.

Of course the Suzumiya Haruhi series is by Nagaru Tanigawa and and Lucky Star is by Kagami Yoshimizu, so if there were to be any actual connection that would be simply bizarre.

Personally, I like my Haruhi / Ouran theory. Both have a chharacter names Haruhi, but the catch is, in Ouran, the one called Haruhi is actually Kyon. Tamaki is Haruhi, the twins are Itsuki, Kyoya and Mori are Yuki, and Hani is Mikuru. Renge is Tsuruya.

Considering the subject matter of The Melancholy, you can really say this about any series.

In fact, I'm going to believe that absolutely every anime in existence is simply a different universe creation by Haruhi.

Example:

Cowboy Bebop:

Spike - Kyon
Faye - Haruhi
Jet - Yuki
Ed - Tsuruya
Ein - Itsuki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-13 01:23:57

At 12/9/09 11:03 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Welcome back, Tink, unless you're gone again, already.

I lurk now and then...

Anyhow, I disagree with Howl's Moving Castle being the the worst. I certinle liked it better than Kiki's Delivery Service. I liked it better than Castle in the sky too. Granted it's no Spirited away, Nausicca, orMononoke Hime but it wasn't that bad.

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-13 01:56:50

I think Spirited Away is the worst. Nothing happens!

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-13 03:06:05

At 12/13/09 01:56 AM, SapphireLight wrote: I think Spirited Away is the worst. Nothing happens!

That's funny, because Spirited Away is one of the best.

"Nothing happens" is not a criticism that I ever think much of. Some of the best films I've seen had very little forward momentum.

But if you hate Spirited Away for being uneventful, you'd have thought that My Neighbour Totoro, Kiki's Delivery Service and Porco Rosso were just as bad. I'm sure you'd hate Whisper of the Heart.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-13 15:36:54

I think Spirited Away is the worst. Nothing happens!
That's funny, because Spirited Away is one of the best.

Like I said, "it all comes down to opinion." Here are my top five favorite Miyazaki movies.
1: My Neighbor Tortoro.
2: Princess Mononoke.
3: Spirited Away.
4: The Cat Returns
5: Howl's Moving Castle.

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-13 17:48:05

I haven't seen near enough Miyazaki movies. I've seen Spirited Away, Howl's Moving Castle, Kiki's Delivery Service and Nausicaa.

I got Kiki and Howl on DVD. I really should check the other stuff from Ghibli. Those movies are pretty ace. And I agree, HMC is a bit disjointed, and I've heard from people who have read the book it's based on, it's a rather loose adaptation.

TV Tropes Wiki

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-14 01:41:35

So, I just watched shakugan no shana. JC, this anime was so generic I don't know how to put into words. Ohwait, I kind of do. Imagine fate/stay night mixed with zero no tsukaima mixed with a little bit of soul eater. Everything in the anime has been done before. Many times over.

On the bright side, I recently watched Beck. It was pretty good, enjoyed the ending, characters, the music. Pretty good feel-good shounen. Another good anime I've finished up recently is Great Teacher Onizuka. Absolutely hilarious. If anyone here's seen goldenboy, and liked that, GTO is the way to go. Also, I've finally finished up zan sayonara zetsubou sensei; which is absolutely laugh out loud funny. Also, I've caught up on the Gintama episodes.

Also, one big recommendation that I'm giving out is a slice of life called nana. Trust me, it's a must-watch for those slice of life fans out there.

It's 5 again, the air is thin.

No sunlight through my window.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-14 01:46:28

Ah man, forgot to mention, bakemonogatari is absolutely amazing. Loved every second of it. From the fast paced dialogue, to the backgrounds, to the character designs, to the zany story. Great anime.

It's 5 again, the air is thin.

No sunlight through my window.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-14 02:56:56

I just finished watching the entire Berserk series. Overall it was good, but it could have been better.

I'll mention some good things before I mention what was seriously wrong. I liked most of the characters, they were easy to relate to and they all had interestingly unique traits. Causka was my favorite, a head strong woman who wants to make it in a man's world. Realistic environment and battle tactics, the landscapes and background arts were very effective. BLOODSHED, I have not seen so much bloodshed since God of War, I loved it!

The biggest thing wrong with the show is the ending/beginning. It begins at the absolute end of the story, then the rest of the series is simply a very long and drawn out flashback. The whole time I watched the show I was waiting for a continuation or progression of story beyond what happened in the first episode. The first episode was literally the last.

Next, the invincible demon warrior. Somewhere in the middle Guts and Griffith battle and lose to a demon. The demon spares their lives because Griffith possess the Baylett. From there he keeps popping up here and there, either to help out, or to remind us of the Eclipse that is to come. One would think, that character would have some role in the Eclipse episodes, he is nowhere to be found in those episodes. So why even bother?

Next, the Eclipse itself. The entire Band of the Hawk was dragged down into hell. Everyone in that army was killed, except Guts, Causka, and Griffith. I just have a hard time believing that Guts was able to escape in his condition. We know what happens to Griffith in episode one. And Causka.... the last time you see her is when she is having an orgasm... Seriously, is there a lost explanation episode, or were those last couple of episodes a giant middle finger to the audience?

Anime Club

Response to Anime Club 2009-12-14 07:58:35

At 12/14/09 02:56 AM, LinaInverseFan wrote: I just finished watching the entire Berserk series. Overall it was good, but it could have been better. Seriously, is there a lost explanation episode, or were those last couple of episodes a giant middle finger to the audience?

Fuck the ending. It was great, the character were badass, the English adaptation was good and it all seemed to go along well when... THE FUCKING ENDING. Do we get a second season? No? FUCK YOU ASSHOLES!