00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Notking just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Anime Club

2,815,331 Views | 59,822 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-09 23:08:03

That Hobby Link Japan order I made a million pages ago shipped....after three delays.

Now to wait another 5-14 days for delivery.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-09 23:12:45

At 10/9/07 06:55 PM, Mendou wrote: Just goes to show how much he knows all about you man.

How much are you meant to know about a random individual you've only associated with on a forum?

Not all of us have shrines to Gendo in our closets.

At 10/9/07 09:19 PM, DepressedStone wrote: All of my IRL friends that are into weaboo things love Ken Akamatsu and Love Hina/Negima.

Aside from one of my friends who likes that sort of anime, all of my friends are pretty apathetic or leaning towards dislike of anime.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-09 23:17:57

At 10/9/07 11:12 PM, Kuro wrote: How much are you meant to know about a random individual you've only associated with on a forum?

I dunno, clearly everything.

At the same time, smcabunchafuckin'numbers made a presumptuous remark, was asked to back it up and failed.

Not all of us have shrines to Gendo in our closets.

You don't?

Fuck, what a blow to my God-like omnipotence..

Aside from one of my friends who likes that sort of anime, all of my friends are pretty apathetic or leaning towards dislike of anime.

A good deal of people I know are hardcore otakus, a few even more over-the-top than I am.

I only have one friend who is vocal about his dislike of anime, but he's one of those "IT'S ALL FAGGOTSHIT" types.

I have thus far convinced him to watch Black Lagoon, he seems to have an interest in the premise and characters.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-09 23:28:51

At 10/9/07 11:17 PM, Gendo wrote: At the same time, smcabunchafuckin'numbers made a presumptuous remark, was asked to back it up and failed.

I'm pretty sure you've made plenty of those.

Y'know, the whole "my taste is better than yours, you're terrible at everything, I'm much more awesome than you" attitude.

You don't?

Fuck, what a blow to my God-like omnipotence..

The only God I worship is me.

Which brings my number of worshippers to one.

I'll have to consult the manual as to what God powers that gives me.

A good deal of people I know are hardcore otakus, a few even more over-the-top than I am.

I used to know someone who liked anime more than me, but he became a faggot-goth and moved to another school.

I only have one friend who is vocal about his dislike of anime, but he's one of those "IT'S ALL FAGGOTSHIT" types.

I never tend to discuss anime with anyone in real life.

It doesn't tend to make for interesting conversation.

I have thus far convinced him to watch Black Lagoon, he seems to have an interest in the premise and characters.

I really had no interest in the premise.

I mean, it's basically "pirates kill people", it's nothing particularly interesting.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-09 23:41:35

At 10/9/07 11:28 PM, Kuro wrote: I'm pretty sure you've made plenty of those.

Y'know, the whole "my taste is better than yours, you're terrible at everything, I'm much more awesome than you" attitude.

Yes, but I don't welch on them.

He made the foolish statement, then backs out on it halfway through after realizing he had no clue what he was talking about.

At least my ego won't allow me to realize I'm wrong, not to mention the fact people take far too much of what I say seriously.

If I was on NG to post seriously, then I certainly would not have this many posts.

The only God I worship is me.

Which brings my number of worshippers to one.

Oh, the harsh reality.

Nonetheless, Anton LaVey would be proud. A man is his own God.

I'll have to consult the manual as to what God powers that gives me.

Hmmm, that's quite the thing to ponder.

I used to know someone who liked anime more than me, but he became a faggot-goth and moved to another school.

Ugh, faggoths....

I never tend to discuss anime with anyone in real life.

I only do it if the person is an anime fan or mentions anime to me.

90% of my conversations IRL are about crappy alternative music.

It doesn't tend to make for interesting conversation.

I've noticed.

Anime haters just yelll at you until you give up, passive people often have no clue what I'm on about and the hardcores tend to repeat themselves (IF I HAVE TO ENDURE ONE MORE FUCKING CONVERSATION ABOUT HOW AWESOE DIO BRANDO IS, I WILL LOSE MY GODDANED MIND!).

I really had no interest in the premise.

I mean, it's basically "pirates kill people", it's nothing particularly interesting.

He's a big fan of trashy exploitation films.

The notion of modern-day pirates murdering neo-Nazis, Yakuza, etc. was quite amusing.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-09 23:59:52

At 10/9/07 11:41 PM, Gendo wrote: At least my ego won't allow me to realize I'm wrong, not to mention the fact people take far too much of what I say seriously.

When I realise I'm wrong about something halfway through arguing, I tend to either keep going with my argument until the other person gives up, or change my argument randomly.

It either confuses or irritates the other person.

I never lose an argument.

Never.

Nonetheless, Anton LaVey would be proud. A man is his own God.

Bloody non-Satan worshipping satanists.

Though I do like the idea of having "stupidity" as a deadly sin.

Hmmm, that's quite the thing to ponder.

I'll just go and throw some sheep at houses.

Ugh, faggoths....

You and your portmanteaus.

90% of my conversations IRL are about crappy alternative music.

That reminds me.

New Radiohead album today.

Though I think only a couple of people I know like alt/indie music.

He's a big fan of trashy exploitation films.

Muuushrooom huuuntiiing.

The notion of modern-day pirates murdering neo-Nazis, Yakuza, etc. was quite amusing.

Nazi's seems to be all too common a theme in anime.

But that's really more of an event than the premise.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 00:14:01

At 10/9/07 11:59 PM, Kuro wrote: When I realise I'm wrong about something halfway through arguing, I tend to either keep going with my argument until the other person gives up, or change my argument randomly.

Flawless techniques, I'm quite fond of 'em meself.

It either confuses or irritates the other person.

Either reaction is good, means you're winning.

I never lose an argument.

Never.

Even if I was to "lose", I'd never admit it to myself.

Bloody non-Satan worshipping satanists.

Confusing concept, innit?

Though I do like the idea of having "stupidity" as a deadly sin.

I love the LaVeyan philosophy.

But calling it "Satanism" was a sad stab at attention and thus damned the religion's chances of being taken seriously.

I'll just go and throw some sheep at houses.

Sounds like fun.

Can I join?

You and your portmanteaus.

I'm right wit' 'em, I is, I is.

That reminds me.

New Radiohead album today.

Yes, I need that badly.

Though I think only a couple of people I know like alt/indie music.

Only like two of my friends do.

Nazi's seems to be all too common a theme in anime.

Urda: The Third Reich, Lupin III, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hellsing, Urusei Yatsura, FLCL, Tell Adolf (a manga, but nonetheless significant for blatantly involving the Nazi party as central characters), etc.

And that's just off the top of my head...

But that's really more of an event than the premise.

Nonetheless, it is a defining event of the series.

I mean come one, pirate/Nazi batles are too cool to ignore.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 00:23:26

At 10/10/07 12:14 AM, Gendo wrote: Flawless techniques, I'm quite fond of 'em meself.

It helps with the fact that when I'm arguing on Newgrounds, I usually am right.

Either reaction is good, means you're winning.

I've already won by the time I say "I disagree".

The rest is just filler.

Even if I was to "lose", I'd never admit it to myself.

Of course not, that'd be admitting defeat.

The only time I get defeated is with treachery.

Confusing concept, innit?

Not really.

They just say they're satanists, when really they're just atheists who run by a silly little code.

But calling it "Satanism" was a sad stab at attention and thus damned the religion's chances of being taken seriously.

A religion based on the absense of belief is not going to be taken seriously anyway.

Sounds like fun.

Can I join?

How many worship points do you have?

I'm hoping to find a lightning miracle at some point.

I'm right wit' 'em, I is, I is.

Iriwemiss.

Yes, I need that badly.

I'm hoping it's an improvement over Hail to the Thief.

Only like two of my friends do.

For some reason most people seem to think I like emo/goth music.

Urda: The Third Reich, Lupin III, Fullmetal Alchemist, Hellsing, Urusei Yatsura, FLCL, Tell Adolf (a manga, but nonetheless significant for blatantly involving the Nazi party as central characters), etc.

Anime needs a new hilarious political disposition to make fun of.

Haha, nihilism.

I mean come one, pirate/Nazi batles are too cool to ignore.

The pirate/nazi battle was quite unimpressive.

It just consisted of a bunch of nazis being slaughtered.

Black Lagoon tends to be more fun when there's someone able to fight back.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 06:37:45

At 10/9/07 06:13 PM, smc316 wrote:
At 10/9/07 06:03 PM, Gendo wrote:
Plus, regardless of what your thoughts on it are, the Gundam franchise is just plain better than the majority of stuff you like. It's an undisputed fact, ask any reputable scienceman.
I really doubt there are many sciencemen out there that are experts on anime. There could be, but I doubt it.

I consider myself an amateur scientist, and I enjoy the vast majority of Gundam series. I like how they try to make sci-fi things work in a logical quasi-scientific way (i.e., putting colonies only at Lagrange points - stable places between Earth and Luna).

Jack of all trades, Master of none

Head Scientist of NG Mafia

& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 10:54:13

Anyone remember the Gundam series where the Earth was at war with a bunch of guys in space?

There weren't a lot of REAL Gundam battles, just guys in Gundams fucking up little shitty mechs.

I'm gonna go back to my room and be awesome.

Desert Punk of the NG /A/|My VA Demo Reel|Audio Portal|

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 13:36:20

Wow. I hate this new layout.
Anyway, just stopping in to say I'm not dead.
Even though I bet no one here knows who I am anymore.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 14:28:05

At 10/10/07 12:23 AM, Kuro wrote: It helps with the fact that when I'm arguing on Newgrounds, I usually am right.

It's not hard to be right when arguing with people on a site mostly populated by stupid children.

I've already won by the time I say "I disagree".

The rest is just filler.

That tends to be the case with most arguments, the clear-cut winner is obvious from the beginning.

Not really.

They just say they're satanists, when really they're just atheists who run by a silly little code.

But it's a silly little code with moderately amusing (and somewhat truthful) observations about life in it.

How many worship points do you have?

I dunno, I think it was 26 at last check.

Iriwemiss.

Genius.

I'm hoping it's an improvement over Hail to the Thief.

Yes, what a disappointing album by Radiohead's standards.

The Bends is my favourite of theirs, nary a bad song on it.

Anime needs a new hilarious political disposition to make fun of.

Haha, nihilism.

I'd love to see Nietzsche as a villain in an anime.

On the topic of Nietzsche in anime, the Xenosaga TV show is lacking a fair deal of the series' allusions to his work.

That saddens me.

The pirate/nazi battle was quite unimpressive.

It just consisted of a bunch of nazis being slaughtered.

By a black man with a shotgun.

That's a solid win in my books.

Black Lagoon tends to be more fun when there's someone able to fight back.

Roberta.

At 10/10/07 06:37 AM, MrTrivia wrote: I consider myself an amateur scientist, and I enjoy the vast majority of Gundam series. I like how they try to make sci-fi things work in a logical quasi-scientific way (i.e., putting colonies only at Lagrange points - stable places between Earth and Luna).

Like I was once told, "The best science fiction almost feels like science fact."

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 17:37:26

At 10/10/07 02:28 PM, Gendo wrote: But it's a silly little code with moderately amusing (and somewhat truthful) observations about life in it.

The fact that they call themselves things like "witches" and "warlocks", kinda detracts from their image though.

Yes, what a disappointing album by Radiohead's standards.

Listening to In Rainbows now.

The Bends is my favourite of theirs, nary a bad song on it.

I prefer OK Computer.

By a black man with a shotgun.

That's a solid win in my books.

But he was only in it for about 20 seconds, then he went back to not shooting.

Roberta.

Hansel, Gretel, 50 different bounty hunters...

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 17:51:38

At 10/10/07 04:53 PM, Mendou wrote: An ending where fans aren't annoyed or pissed? I look forward to this.

Trust me, it's good.

But whatever you do, avoid buying the first edition version of the last manga volume. The cover and title completely spoil the ending.

Indeed, it's like they don't even know how to actually look up the term and learn that this show is intended to be enjoyed by your 12 year old brother, not you.

One needn't even research it.

Most shonen animes are obviously targeted to younger audiences, merely watching them should give it away.

Every gundam conversation requires at least one Ramba Ral quote.

I agree.

If i knew him, i would point a gun at him and force him to finish Hellsing. NO FOOD UNTILL YOU FINISH THIS CHAPTER.

It takes like a million years for each chapter.

And he's been writing The Dawn for like six years now and doesn't even have a volume worth of material done....

At 10/10/07 05:37 PM, Kuro wrote: The fact that they call themselves things like "witches" and "warlocks", kinda detracts from their image though.

Really and truly, the only thing not silly about Satanism is the Satanic Commandments.

Listening to In Rainbows now.

How is it?

I prefer OK Computer.

Great album, but I didn't really enjoy it as much as I did The Bends.

Not to mention everyone on Earth things OK Computer is their best album, and I wanna see trendy-cool by disagreeing.

But he was only in it for about 20 seconds, then he went back to not shooting.

Hey, hey, hey....

Dutch was at his peak of badassery in that arc. It was a refreshing change to see him do something other than sit around talking to Benny.

50 different bounty hunters...

It must have taken ages to come up with all the new characters created for the Greenback Jane arc.

Too bad like 40 of the 50 die either horribly or pathetically.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 18:02:42

At 10/10/07 05:51 PM, Gendo wrote: Most shonen animes are obviously targeted to younger audiences, merely watching them should give it away.

What?

Isn't calling it "few years" kinda implying that?

At 10/10/07 05:37 PM, Kuro wrote:
Really and truly, the only thing not silly about Satanism is the Satanic Commandments.

They're just funny rather than insightful.

How is it?

Quite good.

Not quite up to the standards of The Bends or OK Computer, but good.

Not to mention everyone on Earth things OK Computer is their best album, and I wanna see trendy-cool by disagreeing.

That's just because it is.

Dutch was at his peak of badassery in that arc. It was a refreshing change to see him do something other than sit around talking to Benny.

I think he shot a revolver a few times in the Roberta arc, but missed and got pulled out of the car by his arm.

Dutch isn't as badass as he should be.

It must have taken ages to come up with all the new characters created for the Greenback Jane arc.

Most of them are pretty generic.

There's just a few they gave personalities and cool weapons to.

Too bad like 40 of the 50 die either horribly or pathetically.

More like 47.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 19:02:33

At 10/10/07 06:02 PM, Kuro wrote: Quite good.

Not quite up to the standards of The Bends or OK Computer, but good.

Excellent, that's all I was hoping for.

That's just because it is.

I CALL SHENANIGANS!

SHENANIGANS HAVE BEEN CALLED, DOES THE ACCUSED ACCEPT?

I think he shot a revolver a few times in the Roberta arc, but missed and got pulled out of the car by his arm.

Dutch isn't as badass as he should be.

I know.

Sad to see the buff, gruff voiced black guy is one of the show's more sedate and kinda lame characters...

Most of them are pretty generic.

Nonetheless, even puking out cookie-cutter bounty hunters requires a slice of effort, especially given the sheer number of 'em.

There's just a few they gave personalities and cool weapons to.

Sawyer stands out as being the most awesome.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 19:10:23

At 10/10/07 07:02 PM, Gendo wrote: Sad to see the buff, gruff voiced black guy is one of the show's more sedate and kinda lame characters...

He's no Mal.

Nonetheless, even puking out cookie-cutter bounty hunters requires a slice of effort, especially given the sheer number of 'em.

Most of them were just normal people with guns who got killed almost instantly.

Sawyer stands out as being the most awesome.

Naturally.

Possibly followed by Shenhua or that Rotton the Wizard guy, who manages to do nothing of any sort of destructive purpose.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 19:22:38

At 10/10/07 07:10 PM, Kuro wrote: Possibly followed by Shenhua or that Rotton the Wizard guy, who manages to do nothing of any sort of destructive purpose.

Hahahaha, the Wizard...

Few wastes of space waste space as awesomely as he did.

Can't drink, not much of a fighter, clumsy. He just isn't typical bounty hunter material. Hell, the fact he gets shot whilst trying to make a fancy entrance nets him cool points in my book.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 19:28:41

At 10/10/07 07:22 PM, Gendo wrote: Few wastes of space waste space as awesomely as he did.

There were dozens of "waste of space" bounty hunters.

They just managed to get themselves killed.

Can't drink, not much of a fighter, clumsy. He just isn't typical bounty hunter material. Hell, the fact he gets shot whilst trying to make a fancy entrance nets him cool points in my book.

And of course he's the only one smart enough to wear body armour.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 20:38:00

At 10/10/07 07:28 PM, Kuro wrote: There were dozens of "waste of space" bounty hunters.

They just managed to get themselves killed.

"Torch" Weaver, anyone?

And of course he's the only one smart enough to wear body armour.

Yeah, smart move on his behalf.

It's the only thing that kept him alive.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 20:59:52

At 10/10/07 07:22 PM, Gendo wrote:
At 10/10/07 07:10 PM, Kuro wrote: Possibly followed by Shenhua or that Rotton the Wizard guy, who manages to do nothing of any sort of destructive purpose.
Hahahaha, the Wizard...

Few wastes of space waste space as awesomely as he did.

Yes, but considering he's the only person in the entire city of Roanapur to even think of wearing kevlar, he's automatically one of the most intelligent and threatening bounty hunters in the world

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 21:04:17

At 10/10/07 08:59 PM, tre-x wrote: Yes, but considering he's the only person in the entire city of Roanapur to even think of wearing kevlar, he's automatically one of the most intelligent and threatening bounty hunters in the world

Well kevlar restricts movement, and the citizens of Roanapur need their flexibility to do ridiculously over the top stunts.

Intelligent? He got himself shot while making an entrance. That's comparable to that giant Nazi.

Threatening? The guy can't even drink alcohol.

Either way; he's still one of the more interesting characters of the show, despite only appearing for about 1-2 minutes in total.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 21:05:53

At 10/10/07 09:04 PM, Kuro wrote: Intelligent? He got himself shot while making an entrance. That's comparable to that giant Nazi.

Ah yes, what a fucking twit.

So you have a golden Mauser chambered for .454 Casulls, big fucking deal, it'd be more useful if you'd actually use it.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 21:13:54

At 10/10/07 09:04 PM, Kuro wrote:
At 10/10/07 08:59 PM, tre-x wrote:
Either way; he's still one of the more interesting characters of the show, despite only appearing for about 1-2 minutes in total.

Agreed, he made more of an impression with his <2 minutes of screentime than most characters do in a whole series

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 21:19:17

At 10/10/07 09:13 PM, tre-x wrote: Agreed, he made more of an impression with his <2 minutes of screentime than most characters do in a whole series

There's a reasonable amount of characters like that in Black Lagoon, though.

Sawyer the Cleaner, Leigharch (sorta)...

And the rest of the minor characters I can think of had a bit more of a part in their episodes.

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 21:23:43

So yeah, I, a very patient man, am now quitting bleach...the only reason I was watching it before was because a friend was obsessed with it...I got passed him, and torwards the end where it started to suck...I dislike it now, but hey, only one a week to figure out what's going to happen (yeah yeah, Aizen's gonna get pwnt, but I wanna know how...I'm just crazy like that.) but now I figure out of a new season of fillers....ONE HUNDRED AND FUCKING FIFTY EPISODES INTO THE FUCKING SERIES AND YOU'RE MAKING THE NEXT SEASON ALL FILLERS FOR THE FUCKING MANGA ARTIST. Why can't you take an example from FMA and, God forbid, SPLIT OFF?! I mean, you're already making your own story, so why not just make a continuation of the story already going on?

Sorry if that seemed like a rant, you guys know that I type a lot...but I just had to say that somewhere. This series used to be slightly decent, and enough to keep me watching just to see what happens...now I'm fucking pissed, and I'm not even going to finish this arc, because I know it's just leading into another filler arc.

If there isn't going to be that forest of menos arc, and it was all false (no citation on wiki) then mmkay, I'll still keep up with it just to see what happens. But Jeesh. That's just...stupidity. Milking a cow, if I ever saw it. Sucks it's a children's cartoon in Japan, or it'd already be rushed to end, I'm sure of it.

In other news, I still don't know what new anime I should watch. Just throw me a bone, something that I probably haven't seen (from seeing my posts, y'know, not saying you guys really know me personally XD) and I'll watch it. Preferably something horrific, or horror related....in anticipation of going to a Halloween event, everything I'm reading/listening/watching is horror related, to kinda get me in the mood...oh and "hardcore" stuff counts too XD.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-10 21:48:02

At 10/10/07 09:23 PM, KingPanther13 wrote: Sorry if that seemed like a rant, you guys know that I type a lot...

I don't know a single thing about you.

In other news, I still don't know what new anime I should watch.

Black Lagoon, Last Exile...

Preferably something horrific, or horror related....

Paranoia Agent, to a much lesser extent Boogiepop Phantom...

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-11 00:57:49

At 10/10/07 09:23 PM, KingPanther13 wrote: If there isn't going to be that forest of menos arc, and it was all false (no citation on wiki) then mmkay, I'll still keep up with it just to see what happens. But Jeesh. That's just...stupidity. Milking a cow, if I ever saw it. Sucks it's a children's cartoon in Japan, or it'd already be rushed to end, I'm sure of it.

The One Piece filler arcs are actually awesome. It's the only mainstream anime I like.

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-11 00:59:54

At 10/11/07 12:57 AM, supyohos123 wrote: The One Piece filler arcs are actually awesome. It's the only mainstream anime I like.

Isn't all anime mainstream in someway?

BBS Signature

Response to Anime Club 2007-10-11 03:59:16

Hey everyone. Can I join the club?

"In the Soviet Union, capitalism triumphed over communism. In this country, capitalism triumphed over democracy." - Fran Lebowitz