00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Crzyhentaiboy just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,900,051 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 14:28:28

Also, dear Americans, what is wrong with your beers? They either tastes like water or flowers.

The reason for the Dutch "wasted" stereotype you encountered here, is due to the fact that 90% of Americans haven't been to Amsterdam. If they had, they would know why that's foolish. Hell... 90% of us don't even have a bloody passport. The beer issue is another matter entirely. Good beer does exist here, but it's all microbrew, and you'll have to find it. It's not going to find you. Still...after all that...my two fave beers are from Netherlands and Belgium, respectively. We can't even get proper Guinness here. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 14:32:19

maybe if we had better beer we wouldn't need pot. plus with all this 64 calorie nonsense it's getting worse.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 16:21:06

Actionscript/Flash brainfarts

Even after programming for 5 years or so, I found myself in a huge pickle. I had to turn something that was with 2x decimal places into a whole number, and it didn't have to be exact. I tried everything. Multiplying by 100, then dividing by 10... I sketched out formulas... nothing gave me the exact result I was looking for.

Then, I remembered Math.round()...

/facepalm

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 16:41:29

At 8/29/09 04:21 PM, Johnny wrote: Then, I remembered Math.round()...

ouch

don't forget about Math.ceil() and Math.floor() as well

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:05:35

At 8/29/09 04:41 PM, Afro-Ninja wrote:
At 8/29/09 04:21 PM, Johnny wrote: Then, I remembered Math.round()...
ouch

don't forget about Math.ceil() and Math.floor() as well

or if you're using as3 or c++, int() (cast to integer, pretty fast operation, behaves similar to floor in the positive numbers, i think it does the same for negatives cant be sure though)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:29:46

At 8/29/09 05:14 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/29/09 04:21 PM, Johnny wrote: /facepalm
My favourite programming fuck up is mixing up = and ==, has some funky results.

My least favorite programming error I've encountered, in c++, has to be when using the container class std::map. Iterators to it are supposed to remain valid if something else is deleted out of it, and indeed with GCC their implementation is correct. But, not with microsoft's compiler! So I can't pop through the map and delete unnecessary items, and all the segfaults and overwrites were crashing the game on windows. So I had to make a new map, copy the valid items over, delete the old map, and set the old map to a new map to delete a few items out of it conditionally. What a pain. Took forever to track down, took forever to fix.

Also recently I found out that when you open a file for loading, it defaults to text mode. Text mode converts some byte patterns to other things (line breaks are funky) depending on the OS, and naturally it loads stuff the right way otherwise. So my game had a few levels which it would just die trying to load on windows, so I had this huge workaround thing trying to figure out why my code wasn't working, and I got it to work 95% of the time, till i found the reason was just i needed to pop | std::ios::binary when opening a file. Then BAM all my problems for the last 2 months were solved.

You guys and your flash have it easy.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:31:10

At 8/29/09 05:14 PM, citricsquid wrote:
At 8/29/09 04:21 PM, Johnny wrote: /facepalm
My favourite programming fuck up is mixing up = and ==, has some funky results.

I tend to mix up > and <; when it causes only minor problems, it gets annoyingly difficult to pinpoint.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:31:45

Hi guys,

Can anyone test my game? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFlcqWQVV uU

It's in the rough and I want to see what people think of the difficulty. I posted this in a new thread but no one replied so instead of constantly bumping it I thought I'd just post it here (which is what I should have done in the first place). note all the blocks are generated through actionscript so I'm sorry for the poor quality graphics

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:33:16

okay I obviously didn't read the rules of this thread and I apologize for that :(!

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:43:19

Nice game you got there pal :)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:43:31

At 8/29/09 05:29 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: Huge wall of programming errors
At 8/29/09 05:31 PM, Doomsday-One wrote: I tend to mix up > and <

Needless to say, I feel like quite the fool.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 17:49:12

At 8/29/09 05:05 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: or if you're using as3 or c++, int() (cast to integer, pretty fast operation, behaves similar to floor in the positive numbers, i think it does the same for negatives cant be sure though)

pretty sure it just drops the decimal, I think thats why it's the fastest

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 18:30:47

At 8/29/09 05:49 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote:
At 8/29/09 05:05 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: or if you're using as3 or c++, int() (cast to integer, pretty fast operation, behaves similar to floor in the positive numbers, i think it does the same for negatives cant be sure though)
pretty sure it just drops the decimal, I think thats why it's the fastest

Beat me too it :p

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 19:00:08

At 8/18/09 05:41 PM, Blackfang wrote:

Toss The Turtle

Anybody play this game? Holy shit, talk about addicting. It's incredibly fun and i'm so addicted i have 2 medals left to get.

It's a good game and all, but it get's laggy fast, most likely due to the colors and the movie-clip count. The music sometimes gets boring, too. But I digress...

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 19:18:35

well that's how it behaves, but integers and floating point numbers are represented in wildly different ways internally so it's not as simple as "erase the decimal", but I'm pretty sure its fast cause float to int is done in hardware not software

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 19:27:01

At 8/29/09 07:18 PM, Glaiel-Gamer wrote: well that's how it behaves, but integers and floating point numbers are represented in wildly different ways internally so it's not as simple as "erase the decimal", but I'm pretty sure its fast cause float to int is done in hardware not software

ya I remember that crap in GSP310, hated that class

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 20:57:53

At 8/29/09 01:26 PM, ImpotentBoy2 wrote:
the word you are looking for is bliss

Divine ultimate warmth filled unquestionable euphoria bliss state.

Also American beer is weird. Canadian beer is strong how I like it. I've actually had an Angry Irishman today. Half Baileys half any Irish Whiskey. It's nice though I hate how the alcohol shrinks my brain.
I like dutch beer a lot mostly due to my dutch pride of bein 50% dutch. I agree with Xeptic. Holland is overrated. I wish people instead realized the beauty of the country, the dikes, the windmills, the meadows, and the shrinking red light district. It's a great country with lovely adorable culture just as rich in wonderful as British, English, German, and etc.

www.DuderEntertainment.com/ | Makin' Laughs and Kickin' Ass! >:3

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 22:29:52

At 8/29/09 12:54 PM, Zyphonee wrote: I just heard weed has been legalized here in Argentina. My mom is growing a plant, I dunno how to describe what I feel now...

pics to be posted soon

You are one lucky person

Holy Crap! You live in Argentina?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 23:14:45

It's a great country with lovely adorable culture just as rich in wonderful as British, English, German, and etc.

Yes. The history alone is enough to shut the average piehole of an American. I spent some time in Amsterdam, Rotterdam, and Brugges. I did a lot of dope there, but it was my choice, and it wasn't like there were 4 million people coercing me to do so. On the contrary, I met a lovely woman in Amsterdam that urged me not to be "stom", and just appreciate the city for the richness of it. We still talk. :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-29 23:22:25

The worst programming error I ever got was in a button. Forgot a {

That's all I know how to code

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 08:31:25

The worst programming error I ever got was accidentially making an infinite for loop. Because of some silly Flash safeguards not working, I had to essentially crash my crappy old PC every time I thought I may have found the problem. It took forever to find because I was just looking for recursive functions, while loops and bizarre bugs - I mean, what kind of idiot manages to make an infinite for loop?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 11:55:15

At 8/30/09 08:31 AM, Paranoia wrote: The worst programming error I ever got was accidentially making an infinite for loop. Because of some silly Flash safeguards not working, I had to essentially crash my crappy old PC every time I thought I may have found the problem. It took forever to find because I was just looking for recursive functions, while loops and bizarre bugs - I mean, what kind of idiot manages to make an infinite for loop?

Bah, you be a rank amateur at crashing pcs. I accidentally set up an infinite for loop which was controlling some HUGE bitmap data stuff, my pc wouldn't shut down, restart, ctrl alt delete and eventually the gfx card overheated and went into metldown. The fan fell of and there was quite a lot of smoke and melted plastic

RIP old laptop.

And hi from holiday.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 12:15:36

At 8/30/09 11:55 AM, Depredation wrote: Bah, you be a rank amateur at crashing pcs. I accidentally set up an infinite for loop which was controlling some HUGE bitmap data stuff, my pc wouldn't shut down, restart, ctrl alt delete and eventually the gfx card overheated and went into metldown. The fan fell of and there was quite a lot of smoke and melted plastic.

That is quite epic :p I'm going to use that one any time someone suggests programming to be a safe profession :D

In other news, I just debugged a relatively simple bit of code by the tried and tested method of randomly substituting in different number variables until it inexplicably starts to work.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 13:16:55

At 8/30/09 12:15 PM, Paranoia wrote:
At 8/30/09 11:55 AM, Depredation wrote: Bah, you be a rank amateur at crashing pcs. I accidentally set up an infinite for loop which was controlling some HUGE bitmap data stuff, my pc wouldn't shut down, restart, ctrl alt delete and eventually the gfx card overheated and went into metldown. The fan fell of and there was quite a lot of smoke and melted plastic.

LOL! Thats crazy dude! I'm wondering why you didn't just pull the plug ;) Thats the #1 way to shut down a comp if all else fails :P

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 13:27:29

At 8/30/09 01:16 PM, Duchednier wrote: LOL! Thats crazy dude! I'm wondering why you didn't just pull the plug ;) Thats the #1 way to shut down a comp if all else fails :P

Well, it was a laptop, so probably not quite enough in this case ;)

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 14:04:21

At 8/30/09 01:27 PM, knugen wrote: Well, it was a laptop, so probably not quite enough in this case ;)

Pop the battery, duh.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 15:10:02

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 15:43:10

Speaking of steampunk, I really want to make a portfolio game. basically right now my portfolio is on a flash cards that look like business cards, and i want it so when they put it in a flash game comes up, and they do various things to "unlock" or reach different games in my portfolio. and i really wanted the game to be focused on a giant steampunk robot. and turning certain valves and gears on him is the key to. I want it to be easy but just really interesting. anyone got any thoughts.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 16:09:23

If you guys have a few hours, I invite you to read the entirety of these threads. They may be long, but it's really interesting, hilarious, frustrating, and downright crazy. And it's a good read too.

http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?to pic=6456.0

http://www.igda.org/Forums/showthread.ph p?s=0d3e7147796d23db7e89d00438102ef5&thr eadid=35923&perpage=15&highlight=&pagenu mber=1

I've been following this since it unfolded in May (I even bought edge to show my support for the week it was back up) and there's more drama in it than any TV show or movie... it's worth a read if you have the time.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-08-30 16:28:48

At 8/30/09 02:04 PM, GustTheASGuy wrote:
At 8/30/09 01:27 PM, knugen wrote: Well, it was a laptop, so probably not quite enough in this case ;)
Pop the battery, duh.

Precisely my point; I would say "pulling the plug" doesn't cover the battery :P