00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Peacock6k just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

2,900,257 Views | 60,179 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 13:52:44

At 6/30/09 01:43 PM, MichaelHurst wrote: I fail to see how that has anything to do with microwaves.

Yer I was really excited expecting some kind of ultra geek conversation about reprogramming your microwave for optimum cooking speeds. Dissapointing day.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 15:32:06

okay im trying to figure out some styles. which ones for joe and nick?

Sig made by me

Once again i'm falling down a mountain like a metaphor

Here ends another post by the grand master of all things: fluffkomix

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 15:33:51

oops forgot pic

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 15:37:50

At 6/30/09 03:33 PM, fluffkomix wrote: oops forgot pic

B, and D
their really fat heads seem unnatural, and the smaller heads complement their big noses

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 15:43:22

B & D. How do they look when you use the pencil tool instead of the brush tool?

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 16:19:50

At 6/30/09 03:43 PM, Xeptic wrote: B & D. How do they look when you use the pencil tool instead of the brush tool?

not really any different, but its easier to work with the brush.

The Flash 'Reg' Lounge

Sig made by me

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 16:21:57

At 6/30/09 04:19 PM, fluffkomix wrote: not really any different, but its easier to work with the brush.

You're right, stick with the brush.

Also, who just bought the sexiest Ray-Ban ever? That's right. I did.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 18:21:51

At 6/30/09 03:33 PM, fluffkomix wrote: oops forgot pic

B and D.

The heads for A and C are too square-ish.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 18:34:20

Geez, I just spent like an hour trying to get code hints work in FlashDevelop for classes in a SWC. I had a sample project that it worked in, and I had checked that all the settings were the same several times when I finally tried putting the project folder on my computer: turns out the problem was that I had it on my NAS-server.

Still don't quite get why that makes a difference, I think this will keep annoying me for the rest of the day even now that it works. Dammit.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 19:07:36

This might not make sense and I drank a bit tonight, but I'll try and explain whats been bugging me recently about the flash forum:

When I joined and started posting about 2-3 years ago all the AS problems posted as threads seemed to be 'how do I make a button' or 'how do I get flash for free' or 'how do I convert my AS1 code to AS2'. I started off being mr super noob, asking more than answering and when I did answer it was normally not very helpful. Then I quickly became good at flash, and I liked that. I helped lots of people, joined in AS wars and it was good, but still all the questions were just repeats but at the time they seemed, not advanced, but acceptably confusing (by my shitty standards at the time).

But now 3 years later all the questions are still the same. it's just its really bugged me that i've got so much better but yet the forum as a whole still consists of 'how do I make a button', 'i want flash for free' and 'which is better as2 or 3' and its just depressing. the standard of the average scripter posting a problem is the same. I want people asking about how to use matrices the most efficiently, to post open source physics engines, to discuss the best way of using alchemy and other interesting stuff. the people who know their shit have become stuck inside this one thread and whenever anyone posts anything interesting (which should have their own thread), like deltas speed tests, it's swamped down by the boring news of mj dying or someone finding a website that lets them take the piss out of emos easier.

if that didn't make sense, don't think too much of it. just something that's been nagging me in the back of my mind.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 19:16:15

At 6/30/09 07:07 PM, trig1 wrote: This might not make sense and I drank a bit tonight, but I'll try and explain whats been bugging me recently about the flash forum:

Enh.

There's always new folk coming and learning Flash, so you can't really expect an ever-changing pool of folks to collectively mature.

Sounds like you may have outgrown this place for now.

Or if you have a great idea for a thread, you could always try starting it.

I really enjoyed Luis's typography thread and the "pool of inspiration".

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 19:37:04

At 6/30/09 07:07 PM, trig1 wrote: Stuff

Its because Newgrounds isn't a static community. It's always changes meaning noobs who asked questions become better, answer more noobs questions and finally leave. There will always be noob questions, if there was a seperate forum for Flash pro discussion and one for Flash questions some of us would feel more at home.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 19:46:32

The reason new people ask the same questions that have been answered before, is because newgrounds lacks a good searching tool. It makes it way too hard for people to find what the are looking for...Nah, just kidding, it is simply because they are new and lack the necessary knowledge in flash and actionscript. After the persevering ones acquire decent skills, they start getting involved in projects and find less time to chat on the forums. At least that is what happened to me...

CPerea.com | Computer Science Student

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-06-30 20:22:40

At 6/30/09 08:18 PM, BritishMoose wrote: I went to uni and was too busy larking around. Plus I was nigh-on useless in the forums anyways. I never helped anyone...

Exactly, once you are serious about your work, you seldom have time to congregate on newgrounds. Only the most addicted stick...

CPerea.com | Computer Science Student

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 02:13:55

Of course that's going to happen. You can't expect the whole community to stay the same people and develop with you. Those questions are always going to exist here. If you want more advanced problems, both to ask and to answer, then try a site like Dream.In.Code, a site dedicated to coding. They're a lot stricter on what you can ask and don't have the noobs there as the only reason to go there is for the forums, unlike NG. You have to post some sort of code or show some attempt at solving a problem by yourself before asking. I'm sure there are plenty of other sites like it. But this means the flash forum is alot slower than here.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 02:29:54

At 6/30/09 07:37 PM, Saza wrote: if there was a seperate forum for Flash pro discussion and one for Flash questions some of us would feel more at home.

That would actually be pretty sweet actually. A few problems would arise though

I'm thinking that all of the noobs would head for the pro discussion because "they are pro, and therefor they know better"

And none of the ppl that know what they're talking about would ever go to the noob section because they dont want to deal with noobs.

And to this day, those two forums are known as general and flash forums.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 08:45:19

I just received my 1st year uni results, the only thing I failed was the maths module.. so not revising DOES have a negative impact, hm. I'd expected that so I'm not too bothered. I'm kinda flabbergasted how I got the exact same mark for both my C++ modules - 70 (an A) for both. Flabbergasted and happy :P I got a B for another module, and the other 2.. well.. 40 and 47, which sucks. I'd expected the 40 and thought I might fail it so I'm happy I didn't (40 is the lowest mark you can get without failing, go me), though I expected more than 47 for the other one.. but oh well :P

Also my PS3 broke >.> I'll have to get in touch with Sony but I'm working in just over an hour, oh well.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 10:09:43

At 7/1/09 08:45 AM, liaaaam wrote: I just received my 1st year uni results, the only thing I failed was the maths module..

Never understood how people can fail at school.. i mean its not that hard to pass a class. Yes failing makes you look cool but its temporarily. I find you cool now but i probably will change my mind and or forget about your coolness eventually.

None

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 12:06:52

Because school takes commitment and not everyone is capable of such things. Same reason why some people can't keep jobs.

Hi there!

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 12:39:14

At 7/1/09 02:29 AM, Duchednier wrote:
At 6/30/09 07:37 PM, Saza wrote: if there was a seperate forum for Flash pro discussion and one for Flash questions some of us would feel more at home.
That would actually be pretty sweet actually. A few problems would arise though.

No, Kayn made sure there wouldn't.

In case you haven't noticed yet, this isn't my main anymore. PM me here.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 12:54:58

At 7/1/09 10:09 AM, Luis wrote: Never understood how people can fail at school.. i mean its not that hard to pass a class. Yes failing makes you look cool but its temporarily. I find you cool now but i probably will change my mind and or forget about your coolness eventually.

I got a 48 in Geometry, third marking period, Sophomore year.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 13:06:47

I never thought failing was a cool thing, but I still
can't commit myself to schoolwork. I usually
ace my tests without studying too much, but it's
just the homework that brings me down.

In my Algebra 2 Honors class, I had a 99% until
my teacher added in the homework grades at the
end of the semester. I still had an A, but barely...
It reflects in my Flash Development, though.
It takes me forever to do things because I just
can't make myself work on them.
Ehhg, it really stinks.

Now I feel like a blogger or something.
:3

what

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 13:42:22

At 7/1/09 10:09 AM, Luis wrote: Never understood how people can fail at school.. i mean its not that hard to pass a class. Yes failing makes you look cool but its temporarily. I find you cool now but i probably will change my mind and or forget about your coolness eventually.

I have the worst grades in my school but I never failed a class. In fact I'm passing to the hardest class next year. that's something that makes you cool and not just temporarily.

that's how i roll

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 14:20:50

I just received my 1st year uni results, the only thing I failed was the maths module

mmm. I'm kinda shocked Liaaaam. You're a pretty smart dude. That's not where I would've expected problems. Did you have a shite teacher? That can be a real dealbreaker.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 15:11:49

At 7/1/09 02:12 PM, fudgefalcon wrote: It feels nice to be back.

Finishing something is always very rewarding :) To those who can't: You need to find yourselves some proper motivation and not chicken out every time you don't feel like animating. Works for me.

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 16:41:17

At 7/1/09 12:39 PM, WhoknowsmeaUdiO wrote: No, Kayn made sure there wouldn't.

"and three of them are utter bastards"
KaynSlamDyke is my new favorite user

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 17:51:56

At 7/1/09 01:06 PM, K-Guare wrote: Now I feel like a blogger or something.

I just put a snappy little tune to your post and sang it in my head because of the way you write.

It was quite the good song too.

Hey yo

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 17:53:07

At 7/1/09 10:09 AM, Luis wrote: I find you cool now but i probably will change my mind and or forget about your coolness eventually.

Liar, I'm always cool :P But seriously, I don't think failing is cool at all, I'm disappointed but not surprised because I didn't work hard enough for it because I knew I could resit.

At 7/1/09 02:20 PM, doctormario wrote: mmm. I'm kinda shocked Liaaaam. You're a pretty smart dude. That's not where I would've expected problems. Did you have a shite teacher? That can be a real dealbreaker.

Thanks for your confidence in me *blushes*. Honestly it was my own fault, I left all my work til the last minute and since this was an exam, you can't really do that.. with the assessments at least I gave myself enough time to finish them, whereas I didn't really revise until a few hours before the exam. At least now I have no work to do and all I have to do for the next 2 months til the resit is to revise.. though, I do work.. but that's part time and won't take any time =P

@Kayn, there are more than 5 pro coders here (6 if you include me, hahahaha </selfconfidence>).. I have noticed a few experienced coders posting on newby accounts, they're just not as 'reggy' as .. us. As for an 'experienced flash user lounge', the idea annoyed me when it was mentioned and I'm glad you locked it before it started, it's a silly idea. I think this lounge will do, we're all pretty experienced with flash, even if most of us aren't 'experts', we certainly know our way around the Flash IDEs, animating and programming. If you want any more than that.. too bad, go pick something else up instead of flash ;)

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 17:55:09

Posting from my new laptop! [Not a Mac]
I can now play actual games!

Yesterday, due to how tired I was, I made my friend write code for me. Considering he doesn't know AS, I ended up writing it all anyway. But it was a wonderful motivator regardless.

Also, on the subject of school work, I really should be doing mine right now. Plotting four graphs of chemistry results, bah.

Doomsday-One, working on stuff better than preloaders. Marginally.

Response to The Flash 'Reg' Lounge 2009-07-01 19:09:54

Only thing i've ever failed is RE, mainly due to the fact that we had no teacher for 2 years. We had a good system though, every week it was someones turn to bring in a dvd and someone else had to bring popcorn/beverages. Good times.

At 7/1/09 05:53 PM, liaaaam wrote: @Kayn, there are more than 5 pro coders here (6 if you include me, hahahaha </selfconfidence>).. I have noticed a few experienced coders posting on newby accounts, they're just not as 'reggy' as .. us. As for an 'experienced flash user lounge', the idea annoyed me when it was mentioned and I'm glad you locked it before it started, it's a silly idea. I think this lounge will do, we're all pretty experienced with flash, even if most of us aren't 'experts', we certainly know our way around the Flash IDEs, animating and programming. If you want any more than that.. too bad, go pick something else up instead of flash ;)

Separating the "elite" from the rest would have just caused arguments and generally divided the community, and causing people to steal and backstab their way into the club. It was only a matter of time since someone mentioned it that someone would want the position of "king elite" and start a thread, which in this case was a user with no exceptional flash and wasn't at all a leet coder (from what i saw).

Cool

I never understood why failing exams is cool, i can understand doing something dangerous or getting hurt or doing something out of the ordinary, but failing an exam is just confirmation of your stupidity at a subject. Then again I'm not exactly the epicenter of all things chilled.

BBS Signature