00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Blurzapper just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sprite Club

507,594 Views | 8,375 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 21:42:40

At 8/10/04 06:16 PM, ProtoBassX wrote:
At 8/10/04 07:16 AM, DocMonster wrote: Looking good, mehng, as usual.
Um... what's a mehng?

Are you going to animate these bad boys?
I got around to animating this. I think it's looks pretty neat-o.

Yeah... except it's a recolor.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 22:03:03

At 8/10/04 09:42 PM, NazelbikAuthor wrote: Yeah... except it's a recolor.

Uh-huh... ya finally noticed huh? ;)

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 22:04:53

At 8/10/04 10:03 PM, ProtoBassX wrote:
Uh-huh... ya finally noticed huh? ;)

It's the first time I come here, but I'm a good sprite artist.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 22:06:44

At 8/10/04 10:04 PM, NazelbikAuthor wrote: It's the first time I come here, but I'm a good sprite artist.

I'm sure everyone here would love to see your work. Do you have any sheets that you'd like to post?

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 22:14:16

At 8/10/04 10:06 PM, ProtoBassX wrote:
I'm sure everyone here would love to see your work. Do you have any sheets that you'd like to post?

I'd like to, but I'm busy trying to fix my signature problem... *sigh*

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 22:32:02

Khaos:
My character is starting to turn out pretty nicely, but is this over the top?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Zanroth/zanrothsprite.png

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 23:57:35

At 8/10/04 11:21 PM, Kaosboy85 wrote: nice tekk. Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you though, take your time though, casue I prob wont start focusing ALOT on this project until after the release of ep 4 of my already existing series.

I can't really start putting this to serious work for the next 3 weeks...

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-10 23:58:41

At 8/10/04 11:21 PM, Kaosboy85 wrote: nice tekk. Looks like you have alot of work ahead of you though, take your time though, casue I prob wont start focusing ALOT on this project until after the release of ep 4 of my already existing series.

I can't really start putting this to serious work for the next 3 weeks...
Examns...
If posible, tell me which poses and animations you need as soon as possible, so I can start working on those first.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 00:07:09

At 8/10/04 10:06 PM, ProtoBassX wrote:

Ok.
Click here.
(note : I'm kind of lazy, so I didn't see the point of making LOTS of sprites for some of my characters. Oh and please, do NOT use without my permission.)

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 00:27:19

At 8/11/04 12:07 AM, NazelbikAuthor wrote:
Ok.
Click here.
(note : I'm kind of lazy, so I didn't see the point of making LOTS of sprites for some of my characters. Oh and please, do NOT use without my permission.)

Mhhh...
Considering the entrance you made, everything except for the link conversions are but moderately interesting.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 01:46:04

At 8/11/04 12:27 AM, TekkamanSaber wrote:
Mhhh...
Considering the entrance you made, everything except for the link conversions are but moderately interesting.

Meaning?

I know this isn't very impressing, but I can do anything on request.
I was a spritecomic author, I got bored of updating everyday and I almost quit. Now, I prefer spriting for myself and for other people.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 06:18:06

ProtoBassX

At 8/10/04 06:16 PM, ProtoBassX wrote: Um... what's a mehng?

Wha?! Joo don' know what a "mehng" ees, mehng?! Don' tell me joo never heard us Latinos speakeeng! XD Yeah, "mehng" is "man" in an over-the-top Hispanic accent. My bro in-law and I talk like that a lot since I'm 50% Cuban and about 47% Puerto Rican / 3% Irish. I have family members who actually say it that way for real since their english is so heavily accented.

I got around to animating this. I think it's looks pretty neat-o.

Like they say in the old country, "Neat-o Torpedo!" I'm diggin' how quick the burst is coming from the rocket pack. It gives it a nice edge.

AC500BELOW

At 8/10/04 06:31 PM, AC500BELOW wrote: im thinking of making sprite comics...do you like them?

Yes, we do. If you want to see some exceptional sprite comic work, check out Ghaleonx5z's sites - Soul Omen, The Catalyst and Final Breath. Best of luck with your own! If you make any that will fit on this forum, be sure to post 'em here!

Kaosboy85

At 8/10/04 07:32 PM, Kaosboy85 wrote: Do you actually get paid for your animation/how does one go about getting involved in something like that?

Yep, I get paid very well for animation, as well as cartooning, lettering and writing. As of late, the jobs have been for the latter three. The way one gets started freelancing is by looking anywhere they can find a need for the services of a Flash animator with a client who could afford the service, meaning steer clear of tiny businesses; you'll rarely get steady work from them. Once something is found, whip up a sample for the potential client, for free, that targets their particular business and offer it to them. Now, there's always the chance they'll take it and you'll never hear from them again, but nothing's lost. Think of it as an investment in your future. Eventually, someone bites and you've got a client. It also helps to know people. My best friend works for one of my clients. When there was a need for someone to write children's books, he told them about me and I've been working with them ever since. You can also either go through an agent or a temp agency that specializes in artists / writers if you're old enough. Once our house is finished being remodeled / expanded and my studio is set up, I'm going to build a new portfolio and actively seek an agent because I'm going to try to sell my intellectual properties. If I can do that, I won't freelance anymore because I'll be too busy working on my own stuff. Freelancing doing the things I love is already a dream come true, but having my own work produced on a grand scale is an even bigger one!

Don’t worry about making the sprite then if you don’t have time to. The series is still a little ways off.

Thanks for that. I was debating whether to customize or create my sprite. Now that I have time, I may create it.

Now go make money!!!

WOO-HOO!!!

... when I write up [the Pixelated Dreams] script ...

Not that I don't trust you because you've certainly proven yourself as an excellent storyteller with your series, but if you simply want another set of eyes to look over the script when you're done, I'll make myself available.

Does anyone have a sugestion on who we should make the "captain" of our "ship"?

Well, since you're already helming the project yourself, why not you? Being the creator of the toon should have its own perks! ;)

TekkamanSaber

At 8/10/04 10:32 PM, TekkamanSaber wrote: My character is starting to turn out pretty nicely, but is this over the top?

Now that, my friend, is what we here at Doc Monster Labs refer to as SHWEET!!! There's nothing over-the-top about it. The shading is excellent! Keep it up!

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 06:20:42

NazelbikAuthor

And you win the Captain Obvious Award! ;) Thanks for the recap, but PBX already told us that himself by saying, "I recolored every single sprite, then put my custom shades on 'em." You can find it on page 137.

[Provides link to various sprite sheets]

First off, make a reference to the top six moves on the Link sheet telling people you didn't make those since Kaosboy found those on the net for you (your thread, 4th post down). If you want folks to show you the respect of not ripping off your stuff, you have to do the same for others. Overall, the sheets aren't too shabby. The color choices are nice. I know you prefaced your entry by saying you didn't create a lot of moves for your characters, but you should still try some action poses for all the sprites whose base sprite didn't provide one. Right now, they're a bit too static and don't offer much visual excitement. The shading on the hair of the tall red-headed guy is excellent, but you'll want to carry that method over to the guy with the grey hair. He wouldn't have such a strong highlight over the entire top of his hair. If that's his base color, then you should throw in a highlight to make his hair look less flat and uniform. You've proven you can do a good job with shading so try and stay away from using black as your holding line for the larger sprites. Use darker shades of your base color on the outlines. It'll make your sprites look smoother and less amateurish. The black you've used on the tiny sprites works because you have a smaller area to make things pop so black cuts to the chase better. One last thing, on your sprites on the left, they're too out of proportion. The torsos are much too long which makes the legs look too short by comparison. If you cut out about a 3 pixel high section from the torso and arms, you should have a better proportion. Again, overall, not too shabby. With a little more work, you should be producing natural looking sprites in no time.

I know this isn't very impressing, but I can do anything on request.

Never show something unless you have confidence in it. With your first post here, you tried to allude to the idea that you were a good sprite artist when you called PBX on the carpet by stating the obvious; that's not a very good first impression. Then you showed us your stuff. It's pretty good, but it seems after the somewhat cool reception you received, now you're trying to backpedal by saying, "this isn't very impressing". Why don't you show us the stuff that is impressive so you can back up your claim, "I'm a good sprite artist." Also, you're not ready to offer "I can do anything on request" just yet. You've still got some work to do on anatomy, action and outline blending. Keep practicing.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 07:35:40

got the drawing done, but i can't take pictures of it becuse my brother is gone and he has his digi-cam with him...
it looks like i can only start wen he is back.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 07:38:23

UPDATE!!
sry, couldn't resist it...
I've completed the character just a little more, and I think it's still coming along nicely.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v233/Zanroth/2b460e9b.png
Still, any comments and suggestions are allways welcome

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 08:11:04

Anti-Majin-

At 8/11/04 07:35 AM, Anti-Majin- wrote: got the drawing done, but i can't take pictures of it becuse my brother is gone [with] his digi-cam ...

Unless you've got other stuff to do, why don't you draw some animation steps for your sprite while you're waiting? I think it's awesome you're not letting the absence of a scanner stop you from spriting! You're one of the good ones and it'd be a shame if you stopped!

Anti-Majin-

At 8/11/04 07:35 AM, Anti-Majin- wrote: The character [is] still coming along nicely. Any comments and suggestions are allways welcome

Well, I gave you my comment a few posts up. Any more salivating on my part would just seem redundant and not to mention it forms a nasty puddle. ;) Keep up the good work!

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 08:14:59

CRAP! I just realized I didn't change the recipient heading on the last section of my last post!

TekkamanSaber, the following was meant for you ...

At 8/11/04 08:11 AM, DocMonster wrote: TekkamanSaber
At 8/11/04 07:38 AM, TekkamanSaber wrote: The character [is] still coming along nicely. Any comments and suggestions are allways welcome

Well, I gave you my comment a few posts up. Any more salivating on my part would just seem redundant and not to mention it forms a nasty puddle. ;) Keep up the good work!

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:00:35

At 8/11/04 06:18 AM, DocMonster wrote: ProtoBassX
At 8/10/04 06:16 PM, ProtoBassX wrote: Um... what's a mehng?
Wha?! Joo don' know what a "mehng" ees, mehng?!

Ya know, I think I woulda understand ya if it had some other spelling. :P My parents are both 100% Colombian, although I was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised down here in Miami, Florida. Yay Hispanics.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:12:57

At 8/11/04 09:00 AM, Servbot- wrote: Ya know, I think I woulda understand [what "mehng" was] if it had some other spelling. :P My parents are both 100% Colombian, although I was born in Brooklyn, New York, and raised down here in Miami, Florida. Yay Hispanics.

LOL! Oddly enough, I was born in Brooklyn as well and I've got a ton of Cuban relatives who live in Little Cuba ... I mean Florida! ;) Though living in Brooklyn, I was raised to speak Spanish first and learned English along the way.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:17:41

Man that was alot to read though I feel Dizzy @_@

Anyway I wonder Kaos what jobs are open on the ship? I ask because I want to make a new character, So you tell me what job position my character should have and I'll work on somthing that will atleast look a bit like what his job would be.

Does that make sense? Sorry I'm still tired, and with me sucking at explainting things whatever I say may sound odd =/

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:20:23

At 8/11/04 09:12 AM, DocMonster wrote: Though living in Brooklyn, I was raised to speak Spanish first and learned English along the way.

I'm pretty embarrased at the fact that my English is perfect and I can't speak super-fast spanish being raised by a 100% Colombian family. I got the English from my big brother who is 9 years older than me. My parents thought I'd pick up Spanish by myself. Which I did, but not it's so fluent as it should be. :O And there's my life story.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:30:32

At 8/11/04 09:20 AM, Servbot- wrote: stuff

Man I really wish you would say when your changing your name lol took me a bit to figger out it was you.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:40:05

At 8/11/04 09:30 AM, Ghaleonx5z wrote:
At 8/11/04 09:20 AM, Servbot- wrote: stuff
Man I really wish you would say when your changing your name lol took me a bit to figger out it was you.

The reason why I exist is to cause havoc to everyone! Bwahahahahahaha! Eh, or not.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:54:20

At 8/11/04 09:40 AM, Servbot- wrote: The reason why I exist is to cause havoc to everyone! Bwahahahahahaha! Eh, or not.

Maybe, but just a bit lol

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 09:54:38

This proves I'm bored outta my mind.

Sprite Club

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 10:01:58

Make some Legends characters lol Or Reaver Bots =D

I ahve been meaning to try that myself.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 10:06:15

Looks like everyone has improved quite abit,i've been busy improving my animation and what not but i'm still crap at making sprites lol,but i think i'm going to try and give it a go using adobe streamline

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 10:16:53

At 8/11/04 10:01 AM, Ghaleonx5z wrote: Make some Legends characters lol Or Reaver Bots =D

I ahve been meaning to try that myself.

Oh eM Gee! You gave me an idea! I'm gonna make Kobun/Servbot sprites! Or try at least. -_-;

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 10:21:43

At 8/11/04 10:06 AM, Nova_dragon wrote: Looks like everyone has improved quite abit,i've been busy improving my animation and what not but i'm still crap at making sprites lol,but i think i'm going to try and give it a go using adobe streamline

I'm sure you'll do fine, just keep trying.

At 8/11/04 10:16 AM, Servbot- wrote: Oh eM Gee! You gave me an idea! I'm gonna make Kobun/Servbot sprites! Or try at least. -_-;

Well good luck, I'm sure they will come out great.

Response to Sprite Club 2004-08-11 10:33:08

At 3/7/03 09:56 PM, Tweekit wrote: Alright, i'm starting a club for artist who speacilize or have a large interest in sprites or video games in general.
You must leave e-mail and alias if interested. You can either leave a response or e-mail me with the information
This is a club where people help support and understand flash animation and sprites.
This is a club for sprite and video game enthusiasts. I hope to have you join.

Hmmm... seems to be good. ok. I'd like to join. e-mail is at the bottom. I don't have any movies made yet. but I have like 492,985
different sprites. I know because i've counted. hope i join.

jrrepinski@cox.net metroidmmbn@hotmail.com