00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

extradoodley just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Doctor Who Crew

403,203 Views | 6,203 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 16:18:18

They may have decided to have the new season begin on the same day in both the UK and US but they can't really stop from time zone differences. I'm trying to ignore everything in here now.

BBC America is playing a Dr. Who marathon leading up to the new season. I have to say that Vincent and the Doctor and The Lodger are probably my two favorite episodes of Dr. Who to date.

Still another 4 hours and 40 minutes until the new episode plays here in the US

¥ ♡ ¥ BBS, Review and Chat Mod - PM for help or to snitch! ¥ ♡ ¥

¥ ♡ ¥ Sig pic by Pingu ¥ ♡ ¥

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 17:56:10

Three hours until Series 6 here. Gettin' pumped.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 18:09:10

SPOILERS

That was brilliant, can't wait for Day of the Moon. Apparently the White House toilet seen was terrifying but I was laughing at the woman. What I've established from this episode is that the Silence are a bunch of creepy pricks.

Quite interesting that 200 years had passed. I'm wondering why that astronaut killed the future Doctor, maybe it was a deal of some sort.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 18:11:24

At 4/23/11 06:09 PM, dogpup4 wrote: SPOILERS

That was brilliant, can't wait for Day of the Moon. Apparently the White House toilet seen was terrifying but I was laughing at the woman. What I've established from this episode is that the Silence are a bunch of creepy pricks.

Episode definitely lends credence to the theories that we've seen Silents during series 5. The clips of moments of confusion, looking away, and then ignoring it line up perfectly with what we saw.

If it is true, I love Moffat even more.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 18:57:46

At 4/23/11 06:11 PM, TheMaster wrote: Episode definitely lends credence to the theories that we've seen Silents during series 5. The clips of moments of confusion, looking away, and then ignoring it line up perfectly with what we saw.

Silents in series 5? But I don't remem-
Oh Moffat, you genius. You absolute genius. I really hope this is true.

By the way, has there always been a 'Next Time' trailer after the credits? I know there is at the end of a story, but after the first part of a two-parter?

I didn't watch it, I want it to be a complete shock next week :D

Eternal spam ally of christmasraptor.

The secret to the universe revealed! Madness Combat Crew!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 20:46:19

........................i need BBC america. dying here i need to see it!

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-23 21:35:12

hey its not showing in my area. please someone help me. if you can wacth it in your area please help.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-24 00:59:14

At 4/23/11 06:11 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/23/11 06:09 PM, dogpup4 wrote:
Episode definitely lends credence to the theories that we've seen Silents during series 5. The clips of moments of confusion, looking away, and then ignoring it line up perfectly with what we saw.

Is it just me or is the control room River and Rory investigate is the same as the one from The Lodger?

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-24 05:24:39

At 4/24/11 12:59 AM, Malachy wrote: Is it just me or is the control room River and Rory investigate is the same as the one from The Lodger?

No, it's not you. It's the same ship. This was announced before the series started. There's a sequel to The Lodger later in the series, too.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-24 07:38:24

At 4/23/11 06:57 PM, joza1 wrote: By the way, has there always been a 'Next Time' trailer after the credits? I know there is at the end of a story, but after the first part of a two-parter?

Yeah, I think its before the credits when its a single story and after when its the first of a two parter. Can't remember for series 5, but thats what it was like before series 5 at least.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-24 08:27:57

Review of The Impossible Astronaut.
Same guy has done a bunch of other episodes - all of series 5, most of series 1, a few classic serials, and a few other TV shows and films. They're pretty good too.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-24 20:48:48

Wait, hang about. A massively multiplayer online role playing game for doctor who?? Is this real??? :O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:
_Worlds_in_Time

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-25 05:04:28

Mad weird and dramatic episode, eh? I had two non-Whovians over watching it with me. We were supposed to be getting smashed apparently, but I definitely wasn't going to drink when a new episode of Doctor Who is on.

From what I observed they were interested in it, since they sat through the whole episode, with nary a drop of vodka.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-25 10:42:35

It seems to me with all of the lead up and the new title sequence that BBC America is trying to entice new viewers with this season. There was a marathon on Friday and Saturday with lots of BBC America centric "insider look" during the commercial breaks with interviews of the actors and Moffet. The title sequence was changed at least for this week to a voice over of "this is a story about a little girl who had an imaginary friend...." that went on to describe how he showed up when she was little and came back and spirited Amy Pond away.

They did a "Doctor Who Rewind" to explain the story...but they only explained the story since last season...it's sort of like they are doing a reboot of a reboot. No mention of even Tennant's episodes.

I mean, Dr Who has been playing in the US since the 2005 renewal popped up on BBC America and Sci Fi channel in reruns...I just don't understand why they would treat this new season as some sort of renewal again when they didn't treat last season the same way. I guess just trying to grab new US Viewers (unless they did the same sort of thing across the pond)

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-25 11:18:45

At 4/25/11 10:42 AM, Malachy wrote: They did a "Doctor Who Rewind" to explain the story...but they only explained the story since last season...it's sort of like they are doing a reboot of a reboot. No mention of even Tennant's episodes.

I mean, Dr Who has been playing in the US since the 2005 renewal popped up on BBC America and Sci Fi channel in reruns...I just don't understand why they would treat this new season as some sort of renewal again when they didn't treat last season the same way. I guess just trying to grab new US Viewers (unless they did the same sort of thing across the pond)

This was actually intentional. Moffat wanted to be able to draw in new viewers, so dropped any references to previous series to make it easier to get in to if you start at series 5.

I mean, you can't ignore the River Song episodes from series 4, but nothing else really matters, since he's erased most of it with the cracks.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-25 12:33:40

At 4/25/11 11:18 AM, TheMaster wrote:
At 4/25/11 10:42 AM, Malachy wrote: They did a "Doctor Who Rewind" to explain the story...but they only explained the story since last season...it's sort of like they are doing a reboot of a reboot. No mention of even Tennant's episodes.

This was actually intentional. Moffat wanted to be able to draw in new viewers, so dropped any references to previous series to make it easier to get in to if you start at series 5.

I mean, you can't ignore the River Song episodes from series 4, but nothing else really matters, since he's erased most of it with the cracks.

I get that. I just found it odd that they put so much effort into this season rather than last season.

Then again, when you are going to have such a clean break with the previous seasons and you want to emphasize the new story line, having a little bit of a back story helps a long way since the commercials seem to be trying to grab people who would normally get into a long running story arch/series and may like to rent previous episodes on DVD or Netflix.

There must be a sweet spot for grabbing those kinds of viewers where they would be interested in a back story enough to start tuning in but if the back story is too long or far too advanced they might say "screw it, I'd be way too out of the loop to start now" and I think they are banking on one season back as that spot.

Then again, they could have at least mentioned that the first time River Song was in an episode she died which would have made a little more sense when a new viewer is watching this last episode and her explanation about how her and the Doctor are meeting up all backwards like and eventually he won't remember her and it's going to kill her.

Anyway, i would like to throw in a SPOILER that I would like to discuss:

Every time you meet River she mentions being in jail for shooting a very good man and all that. It would be far too obvious for the 1100 year old Doctor to be shot by her at the beginning of the episode, but it would kind of go along with the story line here since she meets him when he's older and she's younger so she could very well be sitting in jail for killing him but then again she seems just as surprised at the event as everyone else and seems just as invested in the mystery as everyone else. However, for somebody who can shoot a stetson off the Doctor's head from a little bit away, she sure did have piss poor aim when shooting at the big boxy astronaut who shot the doctor at the lake.

Killing off the doctor as Matt Smith would also seriously hamper any more regenerations so I imagine they will find a way not to kill the 1100 year old doctor or find some other way to keep the show going if Smith ever leaves (200 years doesn't seem that long for him since River Song has also asked "how early is this for you?" in the 4th indicating that she has met his older regenerations and that he had a bit longer to go than a measly 200 years). And if the Doctor was really going to invite his closest friends wouldn't you think a few more former companions would have been invited?

Some people have also seemed confused in other places online about their location currently at the end of the episode. I don't think that was supposed to be a mystery. The Doctor clearly asked for road maps of Florida, mentioned that they were only a few blocks away from the Kennedy Space Center and all that, so they are obviously in Florida on the coast roughly parallel to Orlando.

I like how they mention that the underground tunnels are all over the country which would put that spaceship from The Lodger more into the story line and bringing back that location later in the season seems appropriate.

And an extra SPOILER warning because I did watch the previews for next week and there was a line from the Doctor where he said that they aren't dealing with an invasion but are leading a revolution over some aliens who were secretly controlling humans.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-25 14:24:21

At 4/25/11 11:18 AM, TheMaster wrote: I mean, you can't ignore the River Song episodes from series 4, but nothing else really matters, since he's erased most of it with the cracks.

That was really a genius way of clearing up RTD's shitpile and using it as a good part of the story.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-25 14:26:05

At 4/25/11 12:33 PM, Malachy wrote: I like how they mention that the underground tunnels are all over the country which would put that spaceship from The Lodger more into the story line and bringing back that location later in the season seems appropriate.

I was hoping that would get mentioned again, in The Lodger it just seemed like it had been hanwaved with 'Oh, someone's built a makeshift TARDIS. Yeah, ignore it, there's other, more important stuff going on.'

And an extra SPOILER warning because I did watch the previews for next week and there was a line from the Doctor where he said that they aren't dealing with an invasion but are leading a revolution over some aliens who were secretly controlling humans.

...Is the next time trailer different in the US to the one over here? I (accidentally) watched it, and I've heard some people say something about an empire, but I don't recall anything like that. Or maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Two Doctors. Ehh. The stuff with the Sontarans was pretty terrible, and Androgum!Doctor (spelling?) was one of the most hilariously bad things I've ever seen. I can't unsee the second Doctor without those ridiculous eyebrows now. 6... didn't impress me as much as he did in Trial of a Time Lord, but he was still pretty good.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-26 08:26:25

At 4/24/11 08:48 PM, Sticky wrote: Wait, hang about. A massively multiplayer online role playing game for doctor who?? Is this real??? :O

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who:
_Worlds_in_Time

Yeah, its made by the same people as Puzzle Pirates which I played years ago. Probably won't be very good but I'll give it a try.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-26 21:20:00

Anyone know any sites where I can watch the original series? I love the New Who and the few episodes I've seen with Tom Baker, but I'm too broke to buy a bunch of episodes on DVD.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-26 21:31:06

At 4/26/11 09:20 PM, Oolaph wrote: Anyone know any sites where I can watch the original series? I love the New Who and the few episodes I've seen with Tom Baker, but I'm too broke to buy a bunch of episodes on DVD.

Netflix seems to have almost everything. There's a haphazard collection of classic episodes and movies for streaming but whatever you can't get for online streaming you can get as a DVD-by-mail. I would imagine this being the cheapest option (I pay like $9 a month for 1 dvd at a time and streaming). I used to get 3-DVDs at a time for $20 or close to it a year or two ago.

There used to be a site that had everything but considering that they have new episodes showing on the same day in the US and UK citing online piracy and that site disappearing a little while back It's probably going to be difficult to find a full collection online to stream - may as well just get 2 or 3 months of netflix with 2 or 3 DVDs at a time and go that route (I think you can even get up to 5 or more DVDs at a time by mail so you might be able to do it pretty cheaply)

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-26 21:35:51

At 4/26/11 09:31 PM, Malachy wrote: Netflix seems to have almost everything. There's a haphazard collection of classic episodes and movies for streaming but whatever you can't get for online streaming you can get as a DVD-by-mail.

Okay, thanks. I'll have a look around Netflix and see what I can find.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-27 07:50:23

BBC are repeating The Hand of Fear on BBC Four on Monday 9th May and Tuesday 10th May, as a tribute to the late Elisabeth Sladen.

god

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 13:48:35

When Moffat is writing Who this good, why does anyone else even try?

Perfect episode. Bit irritated that next week seems to be filler, though. At least the week after is Gaiman's, which looks arc related.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 14:09:53

At 4/30/11 01:48 PM, TheMaster wrote: When Moffat is writing Who this good, why does anyone else even try?

Not according to Andie Siobhan Wallis!

"this episode was awful!! in fact the whole last series was awful too. it contradicts its self so much... the story line is trying to be clever and have loads of twists and turns and instead confusing the "family" audience. i think the writers have forgotten that children watch this aswell.. what child can follow this poor excuse of a plot? In my opinion they should have stopped when David tennant left, and then perhaps carried it on after a few years when the fans had forgotten about many of the aspects that the writers have now contradicted"

My PSN: Obilisk745

"Remember, licking doorknobs is illegal on other planets."

Add me on Steam! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 15:02:26

At 4/30/11 02:09 PM, Centurion-Ryan wrote: Not according to Andie Siobhan Wallis!

It was trashed in a lot of the newspapers last week, too. My favourite review talked about how the Murray Gold score was shit, when the music in series 5 and this is the best it has ever been.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 15:06:46

Brilliant episode, bit miffed at them leaving so many open ends, but that'll probably be resolved later.
What exactly did the Silent say in the Moon landing clip that made people want to kill them? Curse you, bad hearing. *shakes fist*
Next week looks to be pretty good too, even if it does turn out to be filler. Knowing Moffat, there will be some really important plot element in there that is crucial to everything.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 15:11:23

At 4/30/11 03:06 PM, joza1 wrote: What exactly did the Silent say in the Moon landing clip that made people want to kill them? Curse you, bad hearing. *shakes fist*

"You should kill us on sight", or something like that. It was the recording Mark Sheppard's character took in the cell.

Next week looks to be pretty good too, even if it does turn out to be filler. Knowing Moffat, there will be some really important plot element in there that is crucial to everything.

But it's not a Moffat episode. I've no doubt it'll have hints towards future episodes, but it's wont be anything more significant than the cracks or silence mentions that were in all the episodes last series.

BBS Signature

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 18:01:09

So Amy's pregnancy is in a state of quantum flux, and it's implied it's the Doctors, I must say this is quite intriguing. As long as Moffat doesn't resort to erasing things from his own story like he did with RTD's I am very much looking forward to how this works out.

Response to Doctor Who Crew 2011-04-30 19:28:24

I think the stories are getting too complicated now... And also, didn't these two seem like the last episodes they would have in a series? I mean, the silence have affected all of history and stuff, they actually look and are cool, but just another episode. ...Although, if they outdo their best for the ending of this series, I withdraw what I have just written. Also, don't the silence remind anyone of Slender Man?

Steam, Xbox Live and Game Center - V1NC5N7 ----

-----------------Visit this guy's site, and while you're at it, join my site.-----------------

BBS Signature