00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ruthless3r just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Your Changes For The Audio Portal!

22,453 Views | 341 Replies

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 11:30:00

how about this one. this may piss off a lot of people, but how about you can only vote once youve streamed the song and heard it all the way through? this isnt a great idea, just a different one that im throwing out there

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 14:11:49

At 10/11/06 11:30 AM, HouseMasta wrote: how about this one. this may piss off a lot of people, but how about you can only vote once youve streamed the song and heard it all the way through? this isnt a great idea, just a different one that im throwing out there

I like it, it's a good one. The songs in the AP should be streamed and you can't vote until you have listened to 30% of the whole song.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 14:39:58

It's probably been mentioned before, but I think a voting system would be good. Just like the flash portal.

I doubt this is possible, but a way putting music into the correct genres. There's to many hard house tunes being classed as trance, there's music in the D&B genre that well, I don't know what it is. You get the picture?

I wouldn't mind a breakbeat area, but then you have to distinguish between Nu-Skool breaks, Old-Skool breaks, general breaks, hip hop breaks and so on. That could get a little confusing. So you could break Genres down with sub categorys.

Drum 'n' Bass
-Breakcore
-Jungle
-Tech Step

The rest below are new features that might be good.

What about having music videos in the Audio area? All made with flash of course. It might get the flash and audio users mixing again.

There could be a random list of songs somewhere that need reviews or need a vote.

There could be a proper and in depth tutorial section submitted by users. I'm sure someone could come up with some sort of default template page for us to download so we can add a tutorial to it and upload it again for other users to learn from.

The uploading of project files?

I have loads of ideas.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 15:09:19

oh also, lets have a better setup for Weekly AP. thats a given. maybe have a commity of people who dont submit music decide. anyway, theyre should also be a DAILY FEATURE!!

»» HouseMasta «« PM

HOUSEMASTER: "OHH FUK!!! TEH COMMUNITY CHEZZT FORCLOZD ON MA BEEEEEEF JEERRRKKEEE!!! j0 GOZ 2 JAYL!!!"

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 15:38:28

At 10/11/06 02:39 PM, GangsterRapper wrote: Drum 'n' Bass
-Breakcore
-Jungle
-Tech Step

Like wtf have you been smoking? DnB was derived from Jungle, not the other way around.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 22:11:44

At 10/11/06 03:38 PM, Kirizzle wrote:
At 10/11/06 02:39 PM, GangsterRapper wrote: Drum 'n' Bass
-Breakcore
-Jungle
-Tech Step
Like wtf have you been smoking? DnB was derived from Jungle, not the other way around.

Does it matter?

Anyway, Drum and Bass and Jungle were the same thing. Depending on what part of the U.K you came from determined what you called it. Anyway D&B/Jungle was an offshoot of Hardcore/Oldskool Rave.

D&B/Jungle produced more offshoots such as Tech Step.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 22:33:35

At 10/11/06 10:11 PM, GangsterRapper wrote: Anyway, Drum and Bass and Jungle were the same thing. Depending on what part of the U.K you came from determined what you called it. Anyway D&B/Jungle was an offshoot of Hardcore/Oldskool Rave.

Jungle was derived from Oldskool Rave Hardcore and has some Ragga influence as well, then Drum N Bass was derived from Jungle, just as Techstep and Jazzstep were. So DnB is not a synonym of Jungle, but a sub-category/genre. This would be accurate:

Jungle
- Drums N Bass
- Techstep
- Jazzstep

It just bothered me when you made it look like Jungle was derived from DnB, since that's like saying a daughter is pregnant with her mother.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 22:37:32

Easy and im sure its been said before....Audio Portal batting average.

NEED BEATS??? I GOT EM ELSEWHERE

I sell beats here Matt Mattik

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-11 23:04:17

At 10/11/06 10:33 PM, Kirizzle wrote:
It just bothered me when you made it look like Jungle was derived from DnB, since that's like saying a daughter is pregnant with her mother.

Jungle is Drum and Bass. It was called jungle mainly down south and D&B up north back in the early 90's.

Drum and Bass derived from Old skool rave and so on. Jungle was just another name for it.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-12 08:58:54

There should be a button that, when pressed, you download ALL SONGS of the selected artist to a chosen folder.
At the moment I´ve encountered the problem that I can´t download more than two songs at a time...
I dont know if this woulf put alot of pressure to the servers, but it´d be really smooth if possible.

When I listen to an artist on NG, I ususally want to DL all songs and put em in my mp3 player... then i delete the songs i dont like and keep the good ones. grrrr. >:(

Wakka wakka

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-12 11:23:10

At 10/11/06 11:04 PM, GangsterRapper wrote:
At 10/11/06 10:33 PM, Kirizzle wrote:
Jungle is Drum and Bass. It was called jungle mainly down south and D&B up north back in the early 90's.

The more "jamaican" and soulful it sounds, the more its jungle. The more it sounds like techno, its dnb. I like the ideas of splitting the genres, it'd make it easier for flash artists to find just what they're looking for, as well as us users.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-12 11:43:31

At 10/11/06 11:04 PM, GangsterRapper wrote: Jungle is Drum and Bass. It was called jungle mainly down south and D&B up north back in the early 90's.

Go here and click on the Jungle button as soon as everything finishs loading. Then this web of lots of different genres will show up, click on the Jungle button inside the web and read the description and listen to some of the samples. Then click on the Drums N Bass button inside the web and read the description for that and listen to some of the samples. Jungle and Dnb are not synonyms.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-13 11:18:48

At 10/12/06 11:43 AM, Kirizzle wrote:
At 10/11/06 11:04 PM, GangsterRapper wrote: Jungle is Drum and Bass. It was called jungle mainly down south and D&B up north back in the early 90's.
Go here and click on the Jungle button as soon as everything finishs loading. Then this web of lots of different genres will show up, click on the Jungle button inside the web and read the description and listen to some of the samples. Then click on the Drums N Bass button inside the web and read the description for that and listen to some of the samples. Jungle and Dnb are not synonyms.

What the fuck do you know? Trust me. When I was around 14 and I first got into d.j'ing back in 1994, this was when JUNGLE hit the scene hard. I would go into record shops and ask ''have you got that jungle tune by shy FX or M.c Levi.'' I would get the response ''Ohh, that drum and bass tune'' I have been D.J ing for over 10 years I know my music.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-13 11:59:36

"Nowadays the difference between jungle (or oldschool jungle) and drum and bass is a common debate within the junglist community. There is no universally accepted semantic distinction between the terms "jungle" and "drum and bass". Some associate "jungle" with older material from the first half of the 1990s (sometimes referred to as "jungle techno"), and see drum and bass as essentially succeeding jungle. Others use jungle as a shorthand for ragga jungle, a specific sub-genre within the broader realm of drum and bass. In the U.S., the combined term "jungle drum and bass" (JDB) has some popularity, but is not widespread elsewhere. Probably the widest held viewpoint is that the terms are simply synonymous and interchangeable: drum and bass is jungle, and jungle is drum and bass."

--Wikipedia

Case solved, now refrain from going off-topic all the time.
Try to keep discussion/arguing to PM'ing.
It's just annoying to watch for the rest of us.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-13 12:26:30

Here are my suggestions:

1. Audio Batting Average because audio makers dont get batting average if they just make audio and not flash which is quite unfair If you have no drawing skills to show of on newgrounds. You should give them may like 0.10 for every song they upload.
2. An acoustic section of music because there is so many songs that are acoustic and people say "Oh these arent punk or metal! They are shit!" and our music gets voted down because its supposibly in the wrong section.
3. Make P-Bot have a Daily Audio like mine and Seamonkies. Me and Seamonky could maybe sort it out for MindChamber and we could maybe mail him it or give it to him over AIM or MSN. This is just a thought. I don't have to do it just figured i may be able to do something helpful on newgrounds.
4. Let us submit more than 2 audios a day. Maybe 3 or 4 but i know the audio portal will be filled up quickly and our audio wont be acknowlaged but if we had more Audio Portal Mods we could maybe help keep the score up and the reviews up a bit more.
5. Make the design of the audio portal a bit more bright and colourful. It looks quite dull and boring and i think thats why people don't like it or go on it.
6. I know this isnt a suggestion but here goes. In the rules it says that 100 flash submissions are submitted every day. Only about 10 out of the 100 use audio portal songs. They mostly use famous songs so that people recognise them and go "Hey i love that song! I'm voting 5 on it!" Maybe people on newgrounds should use more audio portal music. It acually gets your score up a bit more because the author of that song usually votes on it and ask alot of his friends to do the same. If more people knew about the AP i think more people would use it and respect it.

Thank You For Reading My Suggestions!

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-13 13:03:21

At 10/13/06 11:59 AM, Arbiter wrote: "Nowadays the difference between jungle (or oldschool jungle) and drum and bass is a common debate within the junglist community. There is no universally accepted semantic distinction between the terms "jungle" and "drum and bass". Some associate "jungle" with older material from the first half of the 1990s (sometimes referred to as "jungle techno"), and see drum and bass as essentially succeeding jungle. Others use jungle as a shorthand for ragga jungle, a specific sub-genre within the broader realm of drum and bass. In the U.S., the combined term "jungle drum and bass" (JDB) has some popularity, but is not widespread elsewhere. Probably the widest held viewpoint is that the terms are simply synonymous and interchangeable: drum and bass is jungle, and jungle is drum and bass."

--Wikipedia

Someone else on another forum quoted wiki and said pretty much my point on the issue. Someone else said, fuck it, it doesnt matter, dnb and jungle, we're all junglists anyway. I'm now out of this til i have somethin relevant to the thread to say.

Case solved, now refrain from going off-topic all the time.
Try to keep discussion/arguing to PM'ing.
It's just annoying to watch for the rest of us.

Its not THAT off topic, its dealing with a detail of a wider issue, but yeah, to argue over it anymore is a waste of time imo, if only cos i'm sure i'm right :P

So, audio changes i reckon we should have, some of them have been pillaged from other people, and i cba lookin up who right now:

1. Thumbs up/down. Either boost a track you like, or hate it. Its pretty much what goes on anyway with 0's and 5's.

2. split the genres into a few more categories, make it easier for flash artists to find the exact sound they want.

3. Split the genres into longer traks and short loops, maybe with the possibility of saying how many bars loop it is as another property of the track, like the date if you see what i mean.

4. Having to listen to at least some of the track before giving a score. If you were forced to listen to something totally shite though, like when people just bump up total shite, and then not being able to hate on it would be silly.

5. I forget, anything else?

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-16 00:19:33

At 7/3/06 10:13 AM, MindChamber wrote: all good ideas folks

they're alright but, too many audios come in, and not enough audio views, so b/p for audio wouldn't go far, you would have to regulate like instead of 200 views lower it to 20 or around there, and the batting average wouldn't work since they're aren't enough voters so basically someone could just 5 all their audio submission and have a perfect score..although audio profile awards would be a good thing.

I hope my sig dosen't come out distorted

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-16 10:53:01

Says somebody that likes to write shitty spam reviews and self downloads, yeah...right. Do us all a favor and stay out of the Audio Portal.

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-16 11:03:17

My ones:

Batting average at audio.
Bookmark your fav. songs and producers.
Making the download awards better (not the gold one at 500, that sucks, start at 200)
And more genres, especially in the Pop category and in the techno category.
Flaggin audio just with a good description why it's not allowed btw. stolen.
More audio mods, best way: Every genre two mods.

And yes it would be fine to change the upload limit from 4mb to, lemme say 5mb. ^^

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-16 11:47:01

Thinking quickly, I know I want:

- Increased amount of space for your submission description
- Ability to view Flash your music was used in SORTED BY DATE
- A voting incentive to increase the amount of fair votes that each submission receives (i.e. Blam/Protect points. NO EXP INCENTIVES). The Audio Portal is like NG's underdog. Due to lack of user participation, unfair voting practices are able to sink decent submissions in to the depths amongst thousands of other submission, perhaps never to be heard.
- Some sort of submitting incentive (Awards? Having your profile display how many submissions your music was used in? Nothing too outward and flamboyant)
- A better way for popular artists to surface (Submission scores don't seem to cut it due to problems I've already stated). How about being able to find artists by the amount that their loops have been used or downloaded?
- A new categorization system. Many websites implement a categorization system where you provide a list of "tag" words that help identify the content. For example, if you made a Christmas song, you could provide the tag words of "Holiday, Christmas, Snow" etc. to help authors narrow down their search for music. Although there are many ways you could probably do this, that's one way.

I don't want to submit any of my current music until some nice changes are made. I'm not being stubborn. I know NG staff are always bending over backwards to increase the site's functionality. I'm just waiting it out until it becomes the Audio Portal's turn =)

BBS Signature

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-18 06:32:12

CUSTOM GENRES:
If your genre isnt on the list, you enter it in a field.

Then you can have whatever crazy-ass subgenre you want. So long as losers dont abuse it by making the genre 'awesome' or 'your mother'

EDIT SHIT:
And FFS. Option to edit audio submissions.

I am so sick of having to upload a NEW track whenever I make an necessary adjustment to a song, think about all the extra room on the AP that will be freed up when people can actually edit old submissions instead of throwing more onto their pile of recent songs mixed with crappy i-just-got-this-new-music-software-songs.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-25 13:02:02

At 10/18/06 06:32 AM, Sto0g3 wrote: CUSTOM GENRES:
If your genre isnt on the list, you enter it in a field.

Then you can have whatever crazy-ass subgenre you want. So long as losers dont abuse it by making the genre 'awesome' or 'your mother'

Where would those be sorted? Either they would never be found, or you`d see under misc. a lot of genres with one or two submissions in each.

EDIT SHIT:
And FFS. Option to edit audio submissions.

I am so sick of having to upload a NEW track whenever I make an necessary adjustment to a song, think about all the extra room on the AP that will be freed up when people can actually edit old submissions instead of throwing more onto their pile of recent songs mixed with crappy i-just-got-this-new-music-software-songs.

Best. Idea. EVER. Seriously!
BTW, how do I replace old song with redone versions of it?
It seems like everyone does it, but I don`t know how :(

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-25 13:05:13

I think we should get rid of that annoying, yet brilliant ParagonX9 music and have a little podcast to the right, promoting a new song each week, so each artist can get some sort of recognition.

And a hot dog maker...

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-25 13:45:35

Ok, I've been redirected here, so now that I'm in the right place, heres the dream.. :D

How about instead of having the rater seperate from the review, you add a category beside the 'Overall' that is out of five, and that is where your rate is shown, so it shows others (or just the author if that is how you want to set it up) what someone rated it, then you can press under 'Was this review helpful?' and the answers you could choose would be 'Yes', 'No', 'Abusive' and 'Bomb'. Yes and no are just opinions, consistantly abusive reviews can result in trouble of course, and a review marked as 'Bomb' by enough users would be nullified, the review would stay, but because that amount given to the song is kept record of, and the experience total of the user at the time could be recorded, so as to be able to completely undo a bomb, and if you have reviewed a song and your review was 'spotted' then it also prevents you from reviewing that song again. Consistant review bombing would result in a suspension of the ability to review. Some examples... (The answer chosen will be in capitols).

Good review:

This was great! Overall: 9 Rate: 4
Reviewed by: Mataro
This was a nearly flawless piece, although it had a few annoying issues,
the sound seemed somewhat distorted and was out of sync in some
places. Nice job anyway, the piano and electric guitar oddly sounded
quite in harmony with eachother, and fitted the beat well. Keep it up!

Originality: 8 Clarity: 7 Diversity: 9 Effort: 10
Was this review helpful? 'YES' 'no 'abusive' 'bomb'

And so that review would stay and it could inform others what you thought of the review, where as a review like this...

Bomb Review:

.... Overall: 0 Rate:0
Reviewed by: Mataro
Originality: 0 Clarity: 0 Diversity: 0 Effort: 0
Was this review helpful? 'yes' 'no' 'abusive' 'BOMB'

And that review after being flagged would automatically be deleted and I would have been prohibited from reviewing this song again, if my giving it a zero dropped its score from a 4 to a 2.30, then when my review gets deleted, it would raise the score up the amount it was dropped, in comparison to the amount of rates it has been given and whatnot, so that might mean that the score is 3.90 when my review gets its final gasp of air, and that might raise the song up to 4.20.

Of course its up to the user to decide whether a review is being abusive, or just bombing, but one should be able to select both in case it turned out to be both.

And so you don't have to wade through a bunch of crappy reviews, you could also set it so that in default it shows the order of reviews chronologically, or you could set it to show reviews starting from the most helpful. It would keep count of the amount of times a review has been marked as helpful and unhelpful, so that you can easily filter through the poor reviews to read the interesting ones.

Also, it wouldn't just take one flagging to delete a review of course, it would take multiple, possibly dependent on the amount of reviews a particular song has in total, so its all dependent on how many people would come through the area, the more traffic, the more people it will take to knock out a bad review, lets say a minimum of 10 flags, and then it goes up to whatever a quarter of the total reviews were, so up to 40 reviews would mean it takes 10 flags, 48 reviews will require 12 flags to knock out a review, and 80 would require 20 flags to knock out a bogus review. Make sense? That would prevent reviews from being knocked off quickly without good reason on songs that have many reviews, one person doesn't see the same as the rest but isn't bombing, then it will take more to clear out that review so as to prevent people from unjustly deleting reviews.

This would likely be a long way off, but it may be something to shoot for. :D Feel free to elaborate!

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-25 16:05:37

maek it all kewl n stuff kthxbai

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-25 17:17:38

Fix the review system Matoro? More like?

Reviewed by: GoldenCat

shi ur musik rly sux, myne is much bett0r. gtfo the audio protal.

Originality: 0 Clarity: 0 Diversity: 0 Effort: 0 Overall: 0

Was this review helpful? [Yes] [No] [Abusive] [ELECTRICUTE]

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-25 17:26:20

At 10/25/06 05:17 PM, Khuskan wrote: Fix the review system Matoro? More like?

Reviewed by: GoldenCat

shi ur musik rly sux, myne is much bett0r. gtfo the audio protal.

Originality: 0 Clarity: 0 Diversity: 0 Effort: 0 Overall: 0

Was this review helpful? [Yes] [No] [Abusive] [ELECTRICUTE]

Yes, NOW THAT would be nice. Haha, but basically, it just gives users the ability to band together to reverse damage done by bombers, I think it would work great :D

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-30 16:52:00

One thing i Dont like About the audio portal is the score Like eg if someone vote 5 and another person vote zero then the score goes to 2.50 thats kinda unfair.
it should be like higher than that like 4.15 or something

Your Changes For The Audio Portal!

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-10-30 17:45:15

At 10/30/06 04:52 PM, Carbo wrote: One thing i Dont like About the audio portal is the score Like eg if someone vote 5 and another person vote zero then the score goes to 2.50 thats kinda unfair.

This would cause imbalancing.
This finds the average of something, try (0+5)/2 to see why.
It's really not unfair at all, it just gives more voting power in the beginning.

Response to Your Changes For The Audio Portal! 2006-11-02 07:33:08

At 10/30/06 05:45 PM, Arbiter wrote:
At 10/30/06 04:52 PM, Carbo wrote: One thing i Dont like About the audio portal is the score Like eg if someone vote 5 and another person vote zero then the score goes to 2.50 thats kinda unfair.
This would cause imbalancing.
This finds the average of something, try (0+5)/2 to see why.
It's really not unfair at all, it just gives more voting power in the beginning.

You could fix that problem by having the votes of newbies count less than those of experienced voters, like they do in the flash portal. Only newbies vote 0 (unless the song is trully awful).

My favourite idea comes from IAmMark:
"the best idea i have would be for people to have to write a review if they voted under a certain score which may deter some people from even bothering due to pure laziness."

From this thread:
http://newgrounds.co../topic.php?id=593967