00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

emoloser21 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Official World Cup Germany Thread

102,225 Views | 2,613 Replies

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 15:23:08

At 7/10/06 02:47 PM, Jezek wrote: I really thought Germany had the biggest chance after France knocked out Brazil!

You're not alone...

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 15:25:54

At 7/10/06 12:44 PM, UKer wrote: Get them Zidane!

Haha, nice find.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 15:27:51

At 7/10/06 12:41 PM, -Buddhist- wrote: Zidane: THE GAME.

* http://www.gazzetta...openxlink.shtml?http

://widelec.org/zidane.html

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 15:30:14

At 7/10/06 01:30 PM, UKer wrote:
At 7/10/06 01:20 PM, -Buddhist- wrote:
At 7/10/06 12:44 PM, UKer wrote: Get them Zidane!
You dirty bastard. D:
Your link is broken.

Works fine for me.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 15:32:16

At 7/10/06 02:42 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
More dives than Portugal ! (Italy)
Now THAT is an achievement!

Unbelievable.... and look at which team scored the most.... damnit.

At 7/10/06 02:46 PM, Britkid wrote: Here's a link. Materazzi denies calling Zidane a 'dirty terrorist', which means he probably did.

Yes indeed. He's so stupid he says " I'm ignorant, I don't know what it means ".
Drama

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 15:49:16

At 7/10/06 03:32 PM, Cajunspirit wrote:
At 7/10/06 02:42 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
More dives than Portugal ! (Italy)
Now THAT is an achievement!

And look at the all-time scores...Sweet...even though it hasn't been updated with this years' cup. But since we won 6 out of 7 and scored the most, nobody's getting any closer...

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 17:48:42

At 7/10/06 03:49 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
And look at the all-time scores...Sweet...even though it hasn't been updated with this years' cup. But since we won 6 out of 7 and scored the most, nobody's getting any closer...

Where do I click to get that?

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 18:11:51

lol France had the most not singing the anthem. 32, wonder why that is.....

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 18:14:46

At 7/10/06 01:22 PM, Cajunspirit wrote: Yet your filthy Materazzi still comes and messes with his head.

Wow, this is actually hillarious stuff, bro. Put some more emphasis on the "your filthy", why dontcha :D because the rest of the players at the world cup were true gentlemen, through and through. Grow up, and lose the naive view on soccer.

I hate how all you Italy supporters don't care that your team underperformed,

I actually would, if it had underperformed. I've said several times that Zaccardo sucked, Totti didn't do as well as he could, and Camoranesi was basically useless. That, however, was it.

But please, illuminate my dreary and obscure view on my team, and tell me how every other player underperformed (by saying "your team" you surely meant every member of said team) in ways that no one else managed to see.

cheated, dived and are racist. All you care is that you won, the world knows what kind of people you are now >:(

Well well. Calls us Italians "racists" and then immediately after that generalizes on our whole people. I won't even deign that absurd paradox with an answer ;)

Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 18:17:05

Whoops, forgot one thing, silly me :D

At 7/10/06 01:22 PM, Cajunspirit wrote:
Do your homework

Checked the link...uhm...you might want to check that over for a sec. Doesn't say a word about what was actually said between the two players. Rumors, at best.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 18:23:59

At 7/10/06 05:48 PM, Cajunspirit wrote:
Where do I click to get that?

The path to glory

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 18:27:43

I like how LinkSilvermane is about the only one sticking up for Italy. Everyone can see what the Italian team really is, except Link doesn't seem to catch on.

It's ok Link, you're from Italy. It is good that you want to stick up for your country. But I don't think you should deny the obvious here. Your team was far from perfect, and just because you're from the country that won, doesn't mean your opinion has any more weight to it than anyone elses.

The Italians dove more than anyone in the cup. They also provoked a respectable player into lashing out. Italy won unfairly versus Australia. They tied the United States with an own goal. Your team won the cup, but they weren't the best team out there. Admit it Link. And if you don't, it just proves your blissful ignorance and refusal to acknowledge fact.

Eh, I guess that's what Nationalism can do to a guy.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-10 22:09:53

At 7/10/06 06:27 PM, Forums wrote:

Your team was far from perfect

Never said it was, bud. I'm only answering people who are particularly ignorant and/or racist when it comes to my team. And for the record, I'm not actually Italian, my mother's parents were both Italian and I now live in Italy, that's all.

, and just because you're from the country that won, doesn't mean your opinion has any more weight to it than anyone elses.

Didn't say it did man ;) the only opinions I believe mine "outweighs" is that of some of my fellow Italian supporters who can't seem to say much more than "Viva L'Italia".

The Italians dove more than anyone in the cup.

Seriously? We actually dove a lot less than last cup :D oh well, little by little, I guess.

They also provoked a respectable player into lashing out.

True. You will find, however, that a great deal of other teams has tried to provoke star players into doing something rash throughout the entire cup, in order to kick them out. The Cec Republic coach explicitly said that his team would try its best to get Totti hopping mad, in order to get him out of the way.

Italy won unfairly versus Australia.

And I have no problem with admitting that. Please consider, however, that Grosso (the Italian dude that dived and made the ref call a penalty kick) might have had a pretty clear shot on Australia's net, if the player he dove over hadn't streched out a great deal in order to slow him down. Still, it was a horrible way to end a match, I personally hate it when it comes to penalty kicks...luck decides those, mostly.

They tied the United States with an own goal.

Yup. Because one of our own players screwed up. Otherwise, it would have been 1-0, simple as that.

Your team won the cup, but they weren't the best team out there.

I never said we were. I've simply expressed my good feelings towards the victorious team, and tried to set things straight for some of the more ignorant (or simply racist) Italian opposers. You seem to think that I'm having trouble believing that Italy wasn't the best team: don't worry, I was shitting my pants through the whole cup ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-11 14:45:04

At 7/10/06 06:14 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote: soccer.

Either you're a heathen or trying to insult me. Don't ever say that foul word again.

I hate how all you Italy supporters don't care that your team underperformed,
I actually would, if it had underperformed. I've said several times that Zaccardo sucked, Totti didn't do as well as he could, and Camoranesi was basically useless. That, however, was it.

Camoranesi was actually one of the better play makers. Pirlo was a fantastic set piece shooter and Cannavaro was great on defense. However, as a team, they were mediocre in the second half of the final.

France was better.

Your team was far from perfect
Never said it was, bud. I'm only answering people who are particularly ignorant and/or racist when it comes to my team.
Please consider, however, that Grosso (the Italian dude that dived and made the ref call a penalty kick) might have had a pretty clear shot on Australia's net, if the player he dove over hadn't streched out a great deal in order to slow him down.

I watched over the clip, he tripped on the defender. That's not penalty worthy.

tried to set things straight for some of the more ignorant (or simply racist) Italian opposers.

Coming off rather biased >:\

Materazzi is such a nice man

I saw your team play, and they were not good, not worthy of the cup. I'm not racist either.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-11 16:17:37

It looks like the cup might not yet be over. The FIFA is looking into the Zidane incident, as they always do when red cards were given. But in doing so, they may need to take a deeper look into what Materazzi has really said. And IF he is actually found guilty of racist insults, that could, in strict accordance to the rules of the FIFA, mean that Italy will be denied the title and trophy.

As I realized the full impact of what I had just read, I drifted off for a moment. In my mind I saw an image of Torsten Frings, a german flag wrapped around his neck like superman, flying into the Circus Maximus and seizing the cup from the astonished masses, all the while laughing like Woody Woodpecker until he disappears into the distance.

I came to a while later with a wide grin on my face that hasn't quite faded yet.

Seriously though, I think this case carries a special relevance (one that the FIFA no doubt wil manage to avoid recognizing somehow). We have here Materazzi, who is undoubtedly one of the biggest assholes in the history of football, the video link provided in an above post by Cajunspirit shows a few examples. Also, Italy as a team is infamous for the amount of cheating, diving and brutal fouls comitted, their leagues known for more than just a few cases of corruption and racism. I'd LOVE to see Materazzi for the rest of his days. He might make good use of that time to take all those classes he obviously missed at school as a kid.
Still, I'd say that there should be no such thing as disqualifying the winners after the cup. Insults, tacklings, fouls, good and bad referees and so on are part of football. It's what makes it such an emotional event. I wouldn't want to have my team win the cup because all the teams before mine were subsequently disqualified, because some newspaper or association or whatever started bitching around.
But on the other hand, there is a pretty serious issue at stake here, and that's the FIFA's official stance on racism. They've had teams carry banners against racism, they've had players read speeches condemning racism to the audience ( I remember Beckham reading one). IF Materazzi is found guilty of racist slurs, then the FIFA will HAVE to intervene. Because if they didn't, then they could just as well stop engaging in anti-racism. If they have such stict rules for racist behaviour, then they need to follow them, ESPECIALLY when world wide attention is turned to the matter. They cannot let off Italy then ( i.e. the world cup champions, the footballer of the year or some other renowned entity), they'd have to punish them all the same, because otherwise some would again be more equal than others. And the FIFA rules explicitly state that consequences might occur to the whole team of the offender.

My personal opinion on the matter is: In case there really was a serious offense, Punish Materazzi (hard, very hard, that Idiot needs to be taught a lesson), but not the team. They cannot be held responsible for what he did (even though there are more assholes in there than just him). It's time people learned that really bad sportsmanship has consequences. If they don't start handing out serious punishments now, they'll never put a stop to such caricatures of a great sport.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-11 16:22:48

At 7/11/06 04:17 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
I'd LOVE to see Materazzi for the rest of his days.

Lol at typo. That's BANNED for the rest of his days, of course.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-11 16:29:49

At 7/11/06 04:17 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
As I realized the full impact of what I had just read, I drifted off for a moment. In my mind I saw an image of Torsten Frings, a german flag wrapped around his neck like superman, flying into the Circus Maximus and seizing the cup from the astonished masses, all the while laughing like Woody Woodpecker until he disappears into the distance.

I came to a while later with a wide grin on my face that hasn't quite faded yet.

LOL

That left me giggling aswell

At 7/11/06 04:22 PM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
I'd LOVE to see Materazzi for the rest of his days.:
Lol at typo. That's BANNED for the rest of his days, of course.

Yes, that seems adequate. Let them have the cup, but forbid Materazzi from competing ever again.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 01:54:03

Huh?

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 09:27:45

Lol

S'ok folks, you don't need to get your hopes up.

You won't be seeing Italy loose its cup on a technicality ;)

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 09:35:36

I can't believe the general sour grapes because France lost - and deservedly sdo, considering they only seem to be able to score after diving for pelanties.

Italy got kicked off the pitch for 90 minutes by Ghana and Australia, yet still overcame them by that old tactic of scoring more than they do. They overcame a talented Czech side (let's ignore the Ukraine forgot about the first half, eh?) and a committed German side, as well as coming from 1-0 down in the Final.

France, meanwhile, beat Spain from an Henry dive for a free kick, Portugal by a Henry dive for a penalty, and a Malouda dive for a penalty put them 1-0 up in the final. Diving? Yes, by the lot singing La Marseillaise before the games. And let's not forget they were 35 minutes away from first-round elimination against the might of Togo.

As for Christiano Ronaldo being unsporting, there seems to be some confusion. According to the British press, stamping on an opponent's groin and grabbing an opposition defender's hair to score a header is OK, but winking is cheating? Maybe if Rooney didn't get wound up by defenders doing what they're paid to do (i.e. defending, which means getting the ball off a player, or preventing a player from reaching it, so they don't score) he wouldn't get so annoyed and stamp on people, eh? Doesn't cover the fact he mouths off at officials left and right. Then again, petulence seems to be endemic at MUPLC, as does dirty play.

Probably because in the Premiership, they get away with it.

Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship

Never underestimate the significance of "significant."

NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 11:11:14

At 7/12/06 09:35 AM, D2KVirus wrote: I can't believe the general sour grapes because France lost - and deservedly sdo, considering they only seem to be able to score after diving for pelanties.

Mreh, what are you gonna to do? A lot of people just seem to find it easier to insult the Italian team than the French one.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 11:15:23

At 7/12/06 11:11 AM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
Mreh, what are you gonna to do? A lot of people just seem to find it easier to insult the Italian team than the French one.

*shrugs* I just said I don't like the Italian team much. Also, I explicitly said I didn't want the cup taken away from them. I just wondered where the FIFA is going with their strict policies on misbehaviour in the games.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 13:43:39

At 7/12/06 11:15 AM, --Hybrid-- wrote:
*shrugs* I just said I don't like the Italian team much. Also, I explicitly said I didn't want the cup taken away from them. I just wondered where the FIFA is going with their strict policies on misbehaviour in the games.

I know dude. I'm actually not speaking about the users of THIS forum in particular (though a few of them have been pretty petty about this whole thing)...I've been on some other British and American sites, and they're all bawling about how the Italians are the dirtiest team they've ever seen, that they dive more than anyone else, bla bla bla.

Anyhow, they're interviewing Zidane right now, this should be interesting.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 14:24:31

At 7/12/06 01:43 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
Anyhow, they're interviewing Zidane right now, this should be interesting.

Aww crap, I forgot about that. Shit, it's probably over by now.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-12 19:36:25

At 7/12/06 06:24 PM, Pinkasaurus wrote:
Materazzi told Zidane to "calm down" before accusing him of being a "liar" and wished "an ugly death to you and your family". This was followed by "Go f*** yourself"

...that's weird. Zidane admitted in his interview that Materazzi said something horrible about the women in his family...nothing about an ugly death.

I'm inclined to believe this part:

Materazzi said: "I held his shirt, for only a few seconds. He turned towards me and scoffed at me, looking at me with super arrogance, up and down.

"He said 'if you really want my shirt, you can have it later'. It's true, I shot back with an insult."

That would explain the part where Zidane reacts after Materazzi lets go of his shirt, after jumping.

I guess until Zidane tells people exactly what Materazzi said, any theory works.

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-13 15:16:58

At 7/12/06 11:11 AM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
At 7/12/06 09:35 AM, D2KVirus wrote: I can't believe the general sour grapes because France lost - and deservedly sdo, considering they only seem to be able to score after diving for pelanties.

That's what I don't get - come on, it's the FRENCH for God's sake!!! What's there to like? Diving players, Glasgow-kissing talisman, graceless wanker of a coach, Patrick Viera & William Gallas in the team, Chirac in the crowd for the Final...

Propaganda is to a Democracy what violence is to a Dictatorship

Never underestimate the significance of "significant."

NG Politics Discussion 101

BBS Signature

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-13 17:04:12

I still hate Portugal for being massive cocks against the Dutch.

Seriously, FIGO ACTED AND FELL TO THE GROUND, SOMEBODY GETS SENT OFF AND HE WAS FUCKING 2 FEET AWAY FROM HIM.

God.

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-13 18:43:32

Hehehe, OOOOPS!! After I ran into my 50th person asking me when I was heading back to Germany for the last games of the Cup, I finally said "Today", went home and started buying plane tickets. My connection has (again) been spotty while I've been here, so haven't been able to get any of these up until now. No game tickets for this go, just a lot of shots from the Fan Mile during and after the Final.

You can see the rest at my site, or just go directly to the Fan Mile pages. Second link will be broken once I get home and start being able to move them into the People section, but that's going to be at least another week.

I'll waste my 4/hour posting a few. Had to hack them down a bit to get them under the 50kb limit. First for the boys:

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-13 18:50:00

and for the girls

Response to Official World Cup Germany Thread 2006-07-13 18:52:17

That guy was wearing the only American flag I saw on the entire Fan Mile lol

And one last go for the boys: