00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hardcore Programmers

18,339 Views | 127 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 15:54:23

At 2/13/06 03:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: James programs the back-end database stuff.

I see :)

He also makes the occasional game, but that's not his primary roll at NG. :)

By "occasionally makes games", (paraphrasing is kewl), I assume you mean "once made a game"

unless he has other games on alt accounts, or he's just not submitted them.

Speaking of games which I'll be first:

Pico 2 or the PM system thats not just for admins/mods?

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:02:51

At 2/13/06 03:40 PM, TomFulp wrote: James programs the back-end database stuff. He also makes the occasional game, but that's not his primary roll at NG. :)

Yes, James does a great job on all that (he is English for gods sake).

So do I get the job Tom? E-mail me with the conditions:

liammac2005 [@at@] gmail [.dot.] com

I await your eagerness anxiously.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:08:30

Frag. Give me half a year and I'll have a Bachelors degree from Teesside University focussed on game design and virtual reality...

Guess you can't wait that long. Oh well. I'll just have to create and release Stormherald and ask for a job then...

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:12:35

I'm just suggesting, but my friend Dean_Angerer who is a member of this site is good with C++, (he helped make games for like EA or something), he has been doing flash for like 4 years, and he has his own website and lives in your area. He's like 18 btw.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:13:02

At 2/13/06 03:03 PM, KyleRoberts wrote:
At 2/13/06 03:01 PM, arab_freak wrote: Do I smell Pico 2?
I'd doubt it would be in C++.

IN 3D! awesome

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:14:41

This highly interests me... but I just don't know if I make the grade.

I love flash programming and programming in general. C++ was my first language but only for the basics. I've been programming for a while though so I tend to pick up languages pretty quick.

All of my projects end up being large projects,so that's no problem. I live in Ohio and I don't think moving to philly would be out of the question.

I've got some unreleased stuff to show, but like I said, I'm pretty sure I'm just not at that level. hrm. I'll gather my resume together later today. ...

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:14:46

btw, sry if this is double post, but his site is http://www.stellarsoft.net/

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:18:28

well, i don't think i could help i live in mexico and i don't know C++ u.u

I only flash, and my best project(with the highest score):
http://www.newground..m/portal/view/295089

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:18:48

At 2/13/06 04:14 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote: This highly interests me... but I just don't know if I make the grade.

You have the best shot out of most people on this site. I'm rootin' for you Afro :]

Find a mountain to stand on.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:25:03

I think this is for the new Behemoth game. I think that Tom and the others may be falling behind in their estimated release of their new game and need a new programmer on board to speed things up.

XBOX LIVE /// KevRS

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:45:35

At 2/13/06 03:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: Knowledge and education in C++ and Flash / Actionscript.

I'm proficient with C++ and a handful of libraries.

Must be interested in game / level design.

Check

Must be able to follow directions and complete large projects.

I've got a couple of big Flash games in development, but in a formal environment I would be much better at actually finishing them. I've held several jobs and know how to follow directions.

Must be an avid gamer.

I fully satisfy this requirement.

I'm a computer science undergrad at a Big 10 university who would love a job. I also have relatives in the Philly area so that's not an issue. I know I don't fulfill the job requirements at the moment, but if there is any chance you are interested in a programming intern I'll email you a formal resume.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:46:53

Hey Tom, contact me in 5-8 years. I'll be worthey then.

Until then i can offer to Beta-Test, click and read my 1000+ word review for a flashlite game :o

And games, i can't get enough of them, i love timeless original classics. The other day i went to buy Phantasy Star for the Master System, so i could use it as research on a Flash Game, it's good because it helps reduce the amount of artwork, plus old games had to rely on addicivness and replayability, which is crucial to any web based game, considering most internet users have the attention span of a brazil nut (that's really small). Unfortunatly, my "gamestation" didn't have it in stock, but it wasn't supprising.

Anyways, sorry that i can't program well, oh, and i can vouch that -Liam- can code much better than his submissions.

- James

SIG YOINK!

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:53:31

I'm not familiar with these guys C++ knowledge, but BleeBlap, Afro-Ninja and Johnny_Krysys all have my recommendations when it comes to AS, and they're all great guys. If I were to take a guess though, I'd say BleeBlap is the most proficient programmer here.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 16:57:13

At 2/13/06 04:53 PM, Rantzien wrote: I'm not familiar with these guys C++ knowledge, but BleeBlap, Afro-Ninja and Johnny_Krysys all have my recommendations when it comes to AS, and they're all great guys. If I were to take a guess though, I'd say BleeBlap is the most proficient programmer here.

Awww, thanks Rantz!

*Runs off to finish his C++ assignment for school*
*Laughs at the above shameless plug*

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 17:10:18

Here's an idea, if you don't have the type of skills or education that Tom is looking for; perhaps you know someone who does! E-mail them. Let them know about this thread.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 17:12:21

At 2/13/06 04:57 PM, DONT_FUCK_WITH_CHUCK wrote: How do you get a font like that! We just have grey

For starters, he created the site.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 17:17:46

Hmm, had I not taken this job I would have definatly applied. C++ is what I work with most, I do actionscript and I love playing/making games, I also have a lot of C++ industry experiance and although I don't really code for consules I've emulated one or two before (and it's basically just following the rules of a simple SDK, isn't it?)

Working in NG would probably be like a dream, but then again my new job looks like a dream too :)

I know you've already gone through those options, but what about fish or glaiel? glaiel has a lot to learn but if you don't need someone right now he has a lot of potential and I'm sure he'll be willing to move near you after he finishes school.

I don't mind e-mailing a friend or two who are looking if that would help, would it?

Anyhow, I better stop playing with my laptop and get back to my girlfriend :P this place is great, catch ya later

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 17:36:28

At 2/13/06 05:17 PM, Inglor wrote: Stuff...

What's the job of your dreams at this moment then?

I can't really think of anything better than working on Newgrounds at the moment, if you are in for Flash, programming and so on. =P

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 17:52:14

wow...ironically my dad may know some people out in philli.....im go see^^

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 17:56:11

Fuck. If only I knew more Actionscript and C++.

:(

Maybe another day in the future.

"In this world // We walk on the roof of hell, // Gazing at flowers." -- Issa

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:17:53

At 2/13/06 03:00 PM, TomFulp wrote: I am looking for an insanely bright programmer in the Philadelphia area, preferably someone with experience in game development and a traditional education in C++. Professional experience in the game industry is not necessary but would be a plus.

Just curious Tom: How far into the 'Philidephia area' does one need to be?

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:21:55

Well:
-I dont have a resume :(
-I'm going to compete for state against the best teen programmers in the state of Indiana
-I'm VERY knowledgable about C++, and I've been doing a lot of C++ game programming (My Win32 API skills arent too great, but they are improving)
-Despite my very old flash submissions, I've pretty damn good in it. And Im a QUICK learner so I could catch up to speed very quick with Actionscript if my skills need to be better
-I plan on going to college for game programming (in two years, Im only a Junior :()
-I'm the best C++ programmer in the county, and if I beat state, then I'll go up against the best teen programmers in America.

I'll include more details in the email ;)
-I have been using C++ for around 7 months, so I guess Im no real expert or anything.
-I'm a real big avid gamer.. I mainly play my SNES and 64 more than my GC or PS2..
-My favorite types of games are Mario/Sonic, Contra, Final Fantasies, and the old school Gauntlet rocks :P

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:24:06

I'm sure my two courses of Java programming will be more than enough... Heh, not really, but if you ever need a slow and inefficient sorting algorithm, give me a call.

Seriously, it would be cool though if someone like Afro_Ninja or someone else who is already well-known on NG would get the job; I'm sure the users would approve of him becoming an admin. I hope he's cut out for it :)

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:27:57

Oh C++, gotta love it. simple but efficent. gretaprograming language but it is sort of limited...

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:29:45

At 2/13/06 03:03 PM, KyleRoberts wrote:
At 2/13/06 03:01 PM, arab_freak wrote: Do I smell Pico 2?
I'd doubt it would be in C++.

But Game Dev Kits are.
;)

That was a great post. Right Zach?

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:30:06

At 2/13/06 06:21 PM, SuperBokey wrote: -I'm the best C++ programmer in the county, and if I beat state, then I'll go up against the best teen programmers in America.

wait wait wait.... there's a contest for this? linksplz

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:30:20

Key criteria:
Knowledge and education in C++ and Flash / Actionscript.
Must submit sample work.
Must be interested in game / level design.
Must be able to follow directions and complete large projects.
Must be an avid gamer.

what make you thing your going to find someone like that here,send this to job website you get a betterr change to find someone like that there...

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:34:17

Oooooo, sounds like a move to convert NG into a potential game development company. Sweeet.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:37:47

At 2/13/06 06:34 PM, Vlux wrote: Oooooo, sounds like a move to convert NG into a potential game development company. Sweeet.

You mean, like Behemoth studios? Something like that?

Writer @ www.Johnrickett.com

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-13 18:50:24

At 2/13/06 06:30 PM, Glaiel_Gamer wrote:
At 2/13/06 06:21 PM, SuperBokey wrote: -I'm the best C++ programmer in the county, and if I beat state, then I'll go up against the best teen programmers in America.
wait wait wait.... there's a contest for this? linksplz

It's for Business Professionals of America and Im pretty sure their website is: this