00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

wilwz just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Hardcore Programmers

18,337 Views | 127 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 04:20:31

try here http://www.newground../topic.php?id=217592
that is your C++ programmer thread. good to have it organized into threads.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 04:26:48

Liam, Inglor, Afro Ninja, Delta Lucas... They all know C++ and are really good at AS.
If you leave me a few years to learn C++ I can do that too. :P

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 04:42:09

practical options that are close are Afro_Ninja and GreenCastle not telling you what to do because you'll do whatever you decide anyway.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 08:11:03

You know what, people? If I had more time I would go through this entire thread and delete/ban anyone who posted anything that wasn't relevent to what he was asking for. Now Tom gets to sort through a bunch of bullshit posts to look for the few that are actually what he was looking for.

If you don't fit the criteria for what he needs then DON'T POST IN THE THREAD. Tom doesn't care if you don't know what C++ is, if you will be proficient in 8 years, etc. What he cares about is the people who fit the description of what he posted.

Maybe I'll feel more energetic later, or another mod will have the time.

Just because Tom makes a thread doesn't mean you HAVE to post in it. If you don't have a helpful response then don't post. Otherwise you are just spamming the thread with garbage posts that he has to sort through to find the few he actually needed to read.

a.k.a. Mary

My NG Wiki Page

"i guess it's settled that carm is a the manliest and most chauvinistic of mods? ^_________^" - Rucklo

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 08:28:11

Tom you should post this stuff on forums like G4 also, need to spread the word!

~¥%¥%+oint##so soft ¤%% ++-%¥-~-^->

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 09:32:58

At 2/14/06 03:29 AM, EarthCrisis wrote: Tom I agree that the location range should be more than just one city. I am pretty sure that there are more people in Jersey that know C++ than there is in Pennsylvania. probably should increase the range to Pennsylvania and surrounding states.

Its also not too critical that employment in the techonology sector be limited by geography. There's video conferencing and all that good stuff.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 11:30:24

Try asking on the SomethingAwful.com Hardware/Software Crap forum, some people there are really talented.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 14:06:54

Suggestion: Tom , ever thought of giving a call to Maddox ? He knows C++ , lives in Utah , and he's also an internet celebrity like you!

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 14:12:21

At 2/14/06 08:11 AM, Carmilla wrote: You know what, people? If I had more time I would go through this entire thread and delete/ban anyone who posted anything that wasn't relevent to what he was asking for. Now Tom gets to sort through a bunch of bullshit posts to look for the few that are actually what he was looking for.

If you don't fit the criteria for what he needs then DON'T POST IN THE THREAD. Tom doesn't care if you don't know what C++ is, if you will be proficient in 8 years, etc. What he cares about is the people who fit the description of what he posted.

Just because Tom makes a thread doesn't mean you HAVE to post in it. If you don't have a helpful response then don't post. Otherwise you are just spamming the thread with garbage posts that he has to sort through to find the few he actually needed to read.

The first post pisses me off the most. How can people be such morons.

Tom you should find a bunch of programming sites with forums and then link them to this thread.

You could really go for a chocolate chip cookie right about now...

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 14:40:25

Is this an actual paying job?

O'well *digs up C.V*

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 15:15:33

At 2/13/06 08:38 PM, redskvnk wrote: I guess Freakapotimus doesn't know php..........(?)

I'm intermediate beginner PHP, and even though I know C++ I'm better with Java, although really once you know one programming language it's easier to pick up others. Hmm now I want to see what I can do with C++ again.

Although if Tom's looking for a standards-based HTML/CSS developer, he's got my phone number. *hint hint*

Quote of the day: @Nysssa "What is the word I want to use here?" @freakapotimus "Taint".

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 15:32:07

At 2/14/06 11:04 AM, _BlAcKjAcK_ wrote:
At 2/13/06 03:01 PM, arab_freak wrote: Do I smell Pico 2?
I hope so :).

its either 1: pico 2 (yippeeeee)
2: AH2(yippeeee!)
or 3: new stuff(yippeeee! unless its utter crap)

anyway i think it would be pico 2, i likey!

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 15:37:36

At 2/14/06 03:32 PM, Hamypig wrote: 1: pico 2 (yippeeeee)

He's already started and it's in Flash.

2: AH2(yippeeee!)

Hmm.. no. Maybe later, I hope at least, but for now:

3: new stuff(yippeeee! unless its utter crap)

They have a new game in production, my guess is that the programmer will help code that. It's a sidescrolling adventure sort of game - it looks good.

Sup, bitches :)

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 16:05:42

At 2/14/06 03:56 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote:
At 2/14/06 03:49 PM, -Toast- wrote: Wrong forum, Tom. I suggest you try the programming forum.
Lol... never thought id hear a regular user telling TOM FULP he'd posted in the wrong forum...

Wow. That just made my day. Tom, if you can guarantee me a spot, I'd love to do this. Unfortunately, I ship out for the Air Force June 27th... and here I was thinking that my C++ training was going to waste... *cries*

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 17:19:32

Relax forum mods, don't let your ego get to you. Posting rants and threats about it proves that.

He asked for resumes to be "emailed".

Resume == email
comments == forum reply

Very simple concept!

The replies to his post are just that, replies, which is all they have to be. They are not applying, and therefore, it's ok for them to comment that they "wish they knew C++", or to wish Tom "good luck in finding someone good". If someone posted a resume by adding a comment (instead of email like he wants), they obviously doesn't know how to follow directions, and so it's not even an issue about "sorting" through replies.

Please read the entire "Thread Starter Post", and then install "Common Sense and Reasoning Module 2.0" before threatening to ban people! Anyways, can't wait to find out what these cool ideas are that Tom mentioned in a "reply".

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 18:25:26

At 2/14/06 11:04 AM, _BlAcKjAcK_ wrote:
I hope so :).

Agreed.

Hey Tom im quite qualified considering i have never seen a C++ program before and i can do flash for beans :) . anyways, i wish i could but im just really terrible. I hope you find someone good though.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 18:45:22

At 2/14/06 05:19 PM, tpm wrote: Stuff

Tom still reads the topic, and this topic would be up to about 7 pages long if Carmilla hadn't deleted the worthless posts.

So you class comments as: "I know a little C++", "I know php", "I know java" or "I don't know a thing but i'll be totally awesome in 10 years time" as valid? I think they are a total waste of time. When Tom could spend his time better reading worthwhile posts, he's a busy man.

I like to call some of those people "Sniffers" who are just hoping that Tom reads their post and will be interested, but he won't as he only wants programmers with game programming experience (Not just qualified, actual experience working in the field)

Please read the entire "Thread Starter Post", and then install "Common Sense and Reasoning Module 2.0" before threatening to ban people!

If they didn't threat this thread would spiral out of control and you would end up with 10 extra pages of non-sense.

I have complete respect for people in the army :), keep doing the good work.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 19:17:49

DAMMIT! IM A YOUNG PROGRAMMER WHO KNOWS A SHITLOAD BUT I LIVE IN CANADA!!!! BLAAAAARG

~ Truth is Brutal; Lies are Comforting. Our world is seeded in comfort because brutality leads to destruction ~

- Slashingsword -

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 19:24:37

At 2/13/06 03:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Key criteria:
Knowledge and education in C++ and Flash / Actionscript.
Must submit sample work.
Must be interested in game / level design.
Must be able to follow directions and complete large projects.
Must be an avid gamer.

Any retard can learn C++ thats the point of the whole easy interface and "press a button to make a game" shit, python all the way.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 19:46:59

After i posted earlier i remembered i know a guy whos pretty good with C++, and i asked him quickly but he said no! Well, i tried im guessing he cant use flash all that well, he hasnt showed my anything using it before.

Well i suppose you could always higher Chuck Norris.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 20:01:10

At 2/14/06 07:56 PM, Carmilla wrote:
At 2/14/06 06:45 PM, EviLDoG wrote: Tom still reads the topic, and this topic would be up to about 7 pages long if Carmilla hadn't deleted the worthless posts.
Excuse me? I have only deleted one post so far and it's because it was a one-word off topic post. In fact, I haven't even logged on since this morning. Shows what you know, smartass. Don't jump to conclusions. I even mentioned in my rant that I didn't have the time to edit the thread.

I think he was arguing in your favor, Mary : )
anyways I cleared out a lot of the pointless posts.

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 20:05:14

At 2/14/06 08:01 PM, Afro_Ninja wrote:
At 2/14/06 07:56 PM, Carmilla wrote: Something mean and wrong to someone nice
I think he was arguing in your favor, Mary : )

He was!? I didn't realize. I feel really bad now. In fact, I deleted the post. LOL I think I was so annoyed by the other guy that I assumed that he meant to be bitching as well. SHAME ON ME. I confess it.

anyways I cleared out a lot of the pointless posts.

See!? I wasn't the only one who thought the pointless posts were annoying.

a.k.a. Mary

My NG Wiki Page

"i guess it's settled that carm is a the manliest and most chauvinistic of mods? ^_________^" - Rucklo

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 21:31:08

Hi, my name is [name]. I live in [place besides Philly], but I would move their when I finish school. Unfortunately, I'm only [young age]. If only this job would be available in [sometime in the future], I would definately apply! Also, I have a friend who is an expert at [programming language], you should ask around for him on [random forum]. I really would apply, except I'm [too young / gay / from a foreign country / a psychological liar].

EF EF EF. Newgrounds is going to make it big. Hopefully, they'll wait for me to join before they go corparate.

I will buy as much stock as I can get.

Anyway, if things somehow remain unchanged, I will apply in a few years.
Like everyone else, working at NG would be my dream job.

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 23:13:08

Well Im becoimg a game programer (Collage) I hope you have a job opeing when I get out of school :)

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-14 23:46:52

Another idea, if you dont need someone today, call the colleges and ask if you can send a letter to the top 5% of their graduating class. Thats how law firms get their lawyers. And what person doesnt want to not have to worry about finding a job after graduating. hope i am helping
good luck

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-15 06:04:41

Relax people! just take a deep breath.. and this goes to you Carmilla as well.. some people here have their ego set to high and some dont.. like me for example, i do not have the programming tallents to do this the only reason why im posting here is because i read this entire forum and i got to say that you sounded pretty badly in your post before, he clearly said send me resume's to my email and well he didn't say that people couldn't comment, now of course you can read my post and threaten to ban me but where does that get you, do you feel any happier, does it make your day? no it wont you are a BBS MOD and thats great but you should put a limit on what you say as well, these posts you read are from people that most likely are 14+ and some of them are just incredibly stupid if you ask me, i havent done a single shit in flash for few months now i wish the behemoth team all their best luck in finding their programmer and ill say like few others goto programming forums post a link don't just search for your programmer here, after all this site is focused on flash more then c++ ;)...

p.s Carmilla, Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaax! ;)

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-15 07:42:28

At 2/15/06 06:04 AM, Plebbi wrote: p.s Carmilla, Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelaaaaaaaaaaax! ;)

I'm relaxed. You all don't realize that admins have voiced annoyance at sifting through pages of garbage to get the answers they are looking for. Moderators know about the issue.

I'm chillin' like a villain. Just trying to point out this annoyance to regs. Funny how everyone is getting so annoyed by it.

Anyway, I'm going to stop posting in regards to replies to my original post in this thread. Otherwise, I'll be guilty of filling Tom's thread with off-topic garbage he has to sort through as well.

a.k.a. Mary

My NG Wiki Page

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-15 10:38:27

At 2/14/06 08:11 AM, Carmilla wrote: You know what, people? If I had more time I would go through this entire thread and delete/ban anyone who posted anything that wasn't relevent to what he was asking for. Now Tom gets to sort through a bunch of bullshit posts to look for the few that are actually what he was looking for.

Oh yea, you're just doing what you don't want others to do, you just posted something that has nothing to do with the first post. Where's the help in your post, besides keeping other people from spamming, wich they won't stop anyways.

I know 2 people, one of them is great with C++ and one of them is really good with Action Script. Do you search one person to do it all, or can it be two too?

BBS Signature

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-15 10:47:23

At 2/13/06 03:05 PM, TomFulp wrote:
I will not be passing Pico 2 off to someone else. :)

smart thing to do

Response to Hardcore Programmers 2006-02-15 18:27:29

Tom, have you thought about asking Drew over at Fark.com to put a link to this thread on the front page? There are a few brilliant people on Fark who just might be in your area. I think Fark is up to at least a million hits a day, so it would get a lot of exposure, plus you could look in the comments on the article and see if anything comes out in the discussion. If he won't link you on the front page, you could take out a classified ad. Just a thought.

I wish I lived in the Philly area. My husband is a programming god, with a master's degree in computer science. I'm a business systems analyst. We could make an awesome team for NG!