00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Gustavo-Y-YA just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Auras now user selectable.

5,376 Views | 65 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 13:43:08

LilJim has now made it so users can select from a Dark, Neutral, or Light Aura. You can change this by logging in and editing your public profile. The selection is near the bottom. This has allowed us to free up a query to the database, which will hopefully result in a little better performance from the site. The next thing we are working on will be ranks for your accumulated voting points! Higher ranks will give your current voting power a boost! So be sure to collect as many BLAM and PROTECTION points as you can. Vote fairly! :)

Follow me on Twitter! TWITTER

Be my Facebook friend! FACEBOOK

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 13:48:56

I don't think people should be allowed to choose what Aura they are becoz it kinda defeats the purpose of them, i mean someone could vote 5 on every movie they see but claim to be dark :op

and just out of curiosity if we can get a blam point for assiting in a blam do we still get straight blams any more or is everyone just assiting everyone else?

And whoopdeedo i'm number one!

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 13:49:06

I have seen the top of the mountain. And it is good
Expect a crapload of clans to arise in the BBS.
props to liljim and wade for creating this.

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 14:09:33

At 10/17/02 01:48 PM, grahamscurrie wrote: I don't think people should be allowed to choose what Aura they are becoz it kinda defeats the purpose of them, i mean someone could vote 5 on every movie they see but claim to be dark :op

and just out of curiosity if we can get a blam point for assiting in a blam do we still get straight blams any more or is everyone just assiting everyone else?

From now on anyone who helped in getting a movie BLAMMED will get a point. It doesn't give you any bonus to be the triggering vote, other than seeing the blam animation. We feel this is more fair. There's no I in team now people! This should be a team effort to filter the portal.

Auras caused people to vote a certain way, just to get a dark aura. We'd rather they just select a dark aura rather than vote down good movies to get one. From now on Dark auras will represent someone's personality rather than their voting preferene. it also is taking load off our server, which is always a good thing.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:00:58

Ohhhh no now it will be worse. I'm not in favour of the new voting thing because i sometimes find "bad" flash movies hilarious and brilliant, even if they don't have perfect graphics or sound and I sometimes find "good" flash movies shite. This new thing discourages inviduality and your freedom to have your own opinion and things.
This is a bad move for Newgrounds and it will make me vote less.

What is the point in having the ability to vote if you are pressured a certain way?

You might as well disable voting 1 or 0 after a movie has a few good votes.

What I think you should do is only let people vote after they have viewed the movie. Wouldn't that be great? Yes, that would be jolly great.

New auras are good. I am going now to change mine. No, I will just keep at neutral. Hmm I dunno. Ahhh well. Aaack. Grrrn. I'm choking.

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:09:50

At 10/17/02 02:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote:
At 10/17/02 01:48 PM, grahamscurrie wrote: I don't think people should be allowed to choose what Aura they are becoz it kinda defeats the purpose of them, i mean someone could vote 5 on every movie they see but claim to be dark :op

From now on anyone who helped in getting a movie BLAMMED will get a point. It doesn't give you any bonus to be the triggering vote, other than seeing the blam animation. We feel this is more fair. There's no I in team now people! This should be a team effort to filter the portal.

Auras caused people to vote a certain way, just to get a dark aura. We'd rather they just select a dark aura rather than vote down good movies to get one. From now on Dark auras will represent someone's personality rather than their voting preferene. it also is taking load off our server, which is always a good thing.

Sweet!!!

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:20:50

I know what a stupid idea! for I am DARK BILLDOUS!!!!!

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:23:01

If it helps with any problems im all for it! For I am LIGHT BILLDOUS!!!

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:23:34

Dude your pretty much saying that we have no choice but to vote unfairly if we want a good rank... LOTS of ppl make really retarded movies... The majority on Newgrounds wants to have a good rank... Not a very big option!! lol

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:24:32

At 10/17/02 03:23 PM, Billdous wrote:

If it helps with any problems im all for it! For I am LIGHT BILLDOUS!!!

Yea im a dumbass an dthought that if i changed my aura it would stay on the post but as i update it it updates soooo... whatever

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:35:37

At 10/17/02 01:43 PM, WadeFulp wrote: LilJim has now made it so users can select from a Dark, Neutral, or Light Aura. You can change this by logging in and editing your public profile. The selection is near the bottom. This has allowed us to free up a query to the database, which will hopefully result in a little better performance from the site. The next thing we are working on will be ranks for your accumulated voting points! Higher ranks will give your current voting power a boost! So be sure to collect as many BLAM and PROTECTION points as you can. Vote fairly! :)

Alright Wade good job James

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:41:37

At 10/17/02 03:00 PM, Flowerman wrote:
Ohhhh no now it will be worse. I'm not in favour of the new voting thing because i sometimes find "bad" flash movies hilarious and brilliant, even if they don't have perfect graphics or sound and I sometimes find "good" flash movies shite. This new thing discourages inviduality and your freedom to have your own opinion and things.
This is a bad move for Newgrounds and it will make me vote less.

What is the point in having the ability to vote if you are pressured a certain way?

You might as well disable voting 1 or 0 after a movie has a few good votes.

What I think you should do is only let people vote after they have viewed the movie. Wouldn't that be great? Yes, that would be jolly great.

New auras are good. I am going now to change mine. No, I will just keep at neutral. Hmm I dunno. Ahhh well. Aaack. Grrrn. I'm choking.

If you'd take a look the new system is a huge success. Crap flash is being voted off much faster due to more people participating and not holding their vote back trying to get the trigger vote for the old type of BLAM. As a result the stuff that remains on the TOP 50 list is higher quality work that now has more time to get judged and commented on before it falls off the TOP 50 list and into the abyss, unless it was lucky enought to score well enough to make it into the TOP 5 or another featured area.

People find the new system much more fun. I am keeping a close watch for people being to quick to BLAM something that doesn't deserve it. The BLAM club will be helping to keep an eye out for this and come in and help protect funny movies that are getting an unfair rap.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 15:43:16

At 10/17/02 03:23 PM, DJViper wrote: Dude your pretty much saying that we have no choice but to vote unfairly if we want a good rank... LOTS of ppl make really retarded movies... The majority on Newgrounds wants to have a good rank... Not a very big option!! lol

If you look, the voting is going well. Most of the time if you vote fairly you will get a point. There maybe times where you vote what you feel is fair, but the masses don't agree with you and you won't get a point. That's just the breaks. Just vote what you think is fair and if you are an active voter you will surely gain a lot of points.

Google+ Profile

BBS Signature

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:00:38

new system = good

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:16:48

Yay

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:20:38

WUT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE STEVEN SEGAL SHOW???
ONE DAY IT WAS NUMBER ONE AND THE NEXT IT'S GONE!

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:26:52

At 10/17/02 04:20 PM, TheGoldenMonkey wrote: WUT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE STEVEN SEGAL SHOW???

He sold it too another website soo NG had to take it off..

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:39:09

At 10/17/02 04:20 PM, TheGoldenMonkey wrote: WUT THE HELL HAPPENED TO THE STEVEN SEGAL SHOW???

Man, why does everybody keep asking that?
It's sold to a bigass company! It's GONE. FOREVER.
Som1 should really post that on the mainpage cuz nobody seems to have noticed wade's post in the bbs...

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:40:34

heh, i just got a dark aura today, and now its selectable :p

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:46:16

I think that the user that blams the movie, should get like 1 blam, but if the 24th user votes low, and later the movie gets blammed it should get like 0.5 blam and the 21th to 23th user should get 0.25

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 16:57:29

awesome, i was waiting for this

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 17:24:17

ty wade

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 17:27:21

At 10/17/02 02:09 PM, WadeFulp wrote:

There's no I in team now people! This should be a team effort to filter the portal.
even tho theres a "m" and an "e" (me) ur right

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 17:31:00

At 10/17/02 03:23 PM, DJViper wrote:

sofa king wee todd did = so fucking retarded

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 18:03:19

At 10/17/02 03:00 PM, Flowerman wrote:

:(unrelated stuff)

i think it would be good to set it so people can only vote after the've viewed a movie especially becuase of the voting points ppl will just vote random things to get points

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 19:10:46

At 10/17/02 01:43 PM, WadeFulp wrote: LilJim has now made it so users can select from a Dark, Neutral, or Light Aura. You can change this by logging in and editing your public profile. The selection is near the bottom. This has allowed us to free up a query to the database, which will hopefully result in a little better performance from the site. The next thing we are working on will be ranks for your accumulated voting points! Higher ranks will give your current voting power a boost! So be sure to collect as many BLAM and PROTECTION points as you can. Vote fairly! :)

What will happen if I have collected enough blam and protection points?

Please subscribe

"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"

.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 19:19:54

Hurray i like being EVIL...
i have issues.

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 19:25:07

Poor Keeblur 2...Thanks Wade for updating the shit..

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 19:25:17

At 10/17/02 07:19 PM, dragnas wrote: Hurray i like being EVIL...
i have issues.

hehe same as above stated
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHA dIE MOTHER F***ERS!

Response to Auras now user selectable. 2002-10-17 20:12:24

Since all these changes are happening might as well ask now. Wade I was wondering, do you guys ever plan on adding new levels for users? I.E past level 30