00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TheGTBX just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What band or artist

2,370 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 04:53:07

My ma brought home a Crystal Method CD once after seeign them in concert more than 5 years ago. She insisted that I listen to them. I never even considered making music until I heard them. I had heard techno before but nothing like what they had made. I was totally blown away. Eventually I had my grandma buy me Acid for a Xmas gift (ty grandma!!) It was a start! My first pure synth program in which I made music from scratch was a demo of Orion. To this day I crave to make music like that.

The Crystal Method <--Greatest, most unique digital exuberance I have ever heard.

JAG
Evolution of the mind...

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 09:34:10

Completely changed the way you look at music?
Wether it was a metal band or some dj it doesn't matter just
who made you think diferently about music?

Good question - originally I was brought up on a variety of music -
Pink Floyd, Molly Hatchet, Queen, ELO, Jethro Tull, KISS, a ton of others - my father had varied interests in music and played it ALL of the time - I can remember plenty of nights falling asleep to Fleetwood Mac and waking up to RUSH the next morning...

But as far as who had the most dramatic effect? I'll tell you if you promise not to make fun of me (too much)

Probably a toss up between DEVO and NIN ... (at the time of this writing at least)

Devo souded like they just didn't give a damn what anyone thought - a few of their songs were awesome even today - a lot of their music completely sucked but they did it anyway - they were original if nothing else. And who doesn't STILL remember "Whip-it" talk about catchy...

NIN - this was the firt time that I noticed extreme dissonance, a little syncopation and some really warped up sounds in popular music. Granted - Michael wasn't the first person to do this, but it was the first time that I really noticed it and at the same time, he wasn't just one of those avant garde "I'm an artiste" artists that nobody listened to ... He actually topped a chart or two - as did DEVO in their time...

Both of these bands changed the way that I heard music - either that or it just so happened that I was hearing these bands play at crucial developmental stages in my life and that neither of them really had the effect that I think they did...

Oh - and about that "no making fun" thing... nevermind that - Hell, If I read someones response and it included bands like DEVO and NIN I might poke a little fun too!

BBS Signature

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 09:38:03

Dimebag Darrell and Pantera definately.....

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 14:11:32

At 8/23/05 09:38 AM, HDG wrote: Dimebag Darrell and Pantera definately.....

May Dimebag rest in peace :'|

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 14:49:50

Amen.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 15:39:14

At 8/23/05 02:11 PM, beatmasterJAG wrote:
At 8/23/05 09:38 AM, HDG wrote: Dimebag Darrell and Pantera definately.....
May Dimebag rest in peace :'|

Most definately.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 15:48:34

At 8/23/05 09:34 AM, ljcoffee wrote:
Completely changed the way you look at music?
Wether it was a metal band or some dj it doesn't matter just
who made you think diferently about music?
Good question - originally I was brought up on a variety of music -
Pink Floyd, Molly Hatchet, Queen, ELO, Jethro Tull, KISS, a ton of others - my father had varied interests in music and played it ALL of the time - I can remember plenty of nights falling asleep to Fleetwood Mac and waking up to RUSH the next morning...

But as far as who had the most dramatic effect? I'll tell you if you promise not to make fun of me (too much)

Probably a toss up between DEVO and NIN ... (at the time of this writing at least)

Devo souded like they just didn't give a damn what anyone thought - a few of their songs were awesome even today - a lot of their music completely sucked but they did it anyway - they were original if nothing else. And who doesn't STILL remember "Whip-it" talk about catchy...

NIN - this was the firt time that I noticed extreme dissonance, a little syncopation and some really warped up sounds in popular music. Granted - Michael wasn't the first person to do this, but it was the first time that I really noticed it and at the same time, he wasn't just one of those avant garde "I'm an artiste" artists that nobody listened to ... He actually topped a chart or two - as did DEVO in their time...

Both of these bands changed the way that I heard music - either that or it just so happened that I was hearing these bands play at crucial developmental stages in my life and that neither of them really had the effect that I think they did...

Oh - and about that "no making fun" thing... nevermind that - Hell, If I read someones response and it included bands like DEVO and NIN I might poke a little fun too!

I was expecting bands like Pink Floyd,Kiss,Queen and hell even NIN but damn you caught me off guard with DEVO.I really wasn't expecting to hear their name pop up unless it was in a conversation about stupid music videos where their song "Whip It" is brought up and people laugh.(Hopefully this doesn't exceed poking a little fun.)

Hey though if you like them you like them and I did say anybody.You also answered my question quite fully.