00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

applessmillion just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What band or artist

2,372 Views | 36 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

What band or artist 2005-08-18 07:53:40

Completely changed the way you look at music?Wether it was a metal band or some dj it doesn't matter just who made you think diferently about music?

For me it was Yngwie Malmsteen.Before I heard him I had never heard anybody play guitar like that and was in awe.This was years ago when I was just starting to get into guitar seriously so he really made an impact on the music I listen to and how I want to play guitar.

So who was it for you guys?

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 07:54:45

I just said in another thread that Mudvayne drawn me away from punk music. Mudvayne kick so much ass. They opened a new world for me.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 07:56:12

At 8/18/05 07:54 AM, FlameMesial wrote: I just said in another thread that Mudvayne drawn me away from punk music. Mudvayne kick so much ass. They opened a new world for me.

That little discussion is actually what made me think of this topic.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 08:06:40

I can also say that Metallica opened me up to harder guitar riffs, solos, and all that shit. Paul Gilbert introduced me to neo-classical metal. And Dragonforce, fuck, they introduced me to GOOD power metal.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 08:19:18

Check out Stratovarius if you haven't yet.They are another great Power Metal band.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 08:35:42

At 8/18/05 07:53 AM, speedmetalmessiah wrote: Completely changed the way you look at music?Wether it was a metal band or some dj it doesn't matter just who made you think diferently about music?

For me it was Yngwie Malmsteen.Before I heard him I had never heard anybody play guitar like that and was in awe.This was years ago when I was just starting to get into guitar seriously so he really made an impact on the music I listen to and how I want to play guitar.

So who was it for you guys?

Greenday.

Before anyone gets on my case about how much they can't play. Let me explain myself.

They have catchy riffs. They only use about 3-4 chords per song, yet the way he incoporates the chords is genuis (sp?). He knows how to make up music and keep it interesting with the vocals matching. I like that. BUT I also listen to hard rock, such as Metallica, Guns & Roses, Led Zepplin, ACDC, and punk like Third Eye Blind, Sum 41, and such stuff like that. So when I make up music I try to use catchy tunes but use it in a hard rock way, so it ends up taking "punk with a metal edge". It usually turns out nice at band practice.

We just got done recording some stuff at practice last time, so I'll submit it soon. We recording the full version of "My Demise" & "Never" for those who ever visited the audio portal and looked up EckHart you'll know what it is. And I gotta tell you, it sounds a hell of a lot better. Maybe you'll even feel the need to listen to it some day.

Cheers!

~Erik Eckhart~

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 08:58:28

I've got into Trivium right now, thier amazing! The riffs, the vocals, the dual guitars, the collosul chorus's.
Totally worth looking them up, i swear you shoud enjoy them, their influences are, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. Just an all round amazing band!

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 09:28:29

Deicide is a band that changed my perception of music in general. My dad started slowly introducing me to metal...mainly early Metallica. He told me to listen to the local metal show, so I did...and being a christmas special they played Kill the Christian, and I was like "whoa...fuck! MUSIC CAN BE THAT HEAVY?!?!?!". Instantly I dropped Metallica, and adpoted Deicide as my saviour.

Other bands which have significantly altered my perception upon hearing them include:
-Stabwound (big time. First time I heard 'Bloated Brain Implow' I came in my pants)
-Nile
-Dying Fetus
-Hate Eternal
-Dead Centre
-Cannibal Corpth

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 10:30:23

Well, I started with The Offspring. I saw Ed, Edd an Eddy on Cartoon Network with 14 and there was "Pretty fly" playing in a commercial. Then I thought "man, cool song is this from the cartoon? ^^"

No it was from the Offspring and I bought "Americana" cause I liked that one song ^^. Then I heard punk for two years and then I saw and heard it...KoRn. Watched "falling away from me" on TV and then went nutz. This was the time I got into metal and started to learn guitar 3 years ago. Now, Bands like Machine Head, Static-X, SlipKnoT, Mudvayne, KoRn, Metallica and so on take part in the main influence of my mu(sic).

I are pwnan teh lollbarian!

...SoS - We rape responsibly...

BBS Signature

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-18 10:31:07

I was a black/death/heavy metal fan who liked a lil bit of punk and alternative goth stuff like sisters of mercy, the cure and stuff like that, and nothing else until i was playing an old 3-d platform game that was called "Bugs 3-D".
The CD that was in the comp was a "Check your Head" with Beastie Boys, and i couldnt change the song to the punk songs, wich I liked... So on repeat until I beat the game was "Watcha want", and that shit brainwashed me into liking it, and then I discovered a whoooole new world of music. I was 12, and the Beastie Boys are still amongst the best band I ever listened to.
Yop.

/Rucklo

Wakka wakka

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-19 01:04:10

Most influential band for me is Metallica (old,new all good)
tho old was better :/

Also Dimmu Borgir (symphonic black metal)
amazing should check em both if u dont know of em or herd yet
an ya haha

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-19 11:28:10

for me it would have to be Slayer. They first got me into speed metal. before that i was into just hard rock and even punk.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-19 12:09:27

The Prodigy. Nuff said. Techno metal may have been around before their mish mash of sound, but i havent heard of it. Techno-Junglist-Metal. Yesai.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-20 07:05:19

The Mars Volta. Incredible, virtuosic songwriting and amazing musicians. They blend so many styles and influences, and their ability to fuck with your head is just amazing to me. And not to mention time signatures... in one song they go from 4/4 to 6/8 to 23/8 to 9/16 to 6/8 to 2/4 and finally to 10/4... complete and utter badasses, and I saw them live 2 days ago, they are touring with System of A Down... they are just an amazing display of talent and ability.

Another artist that really is amazing is Diana Krall, she's an amazing jazz pianist, and a good singer too. Her band is so good... they are masters of their instruments.... I could go on with more jazz that has influenced me but I feel alone in this metal-heavy thread :)

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 09:52:34

B0UNC3, for real, not many people can say they got better cuz of someone else, but yea.

i mixed his and my style after i met him, and finally mastered it (as you can see in Hallucinating Lifeline) and im def glad i met him

rawr.

BBS Signature

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 10:56:20

For me its alll Metal, industrial and Gothic rock.

Slipknot, Marilyn Manson, Mushroomhead, H.I.M, Static-x, Strapping Young Lad, CKY, korn, and of course system of a down.

What band or artist

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 11:56:32

Incubus....its beautiful man *weeps*

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 13:14:29

To get back to the thread, i actually got inspired by BOUNCE, i dont care what anyone says, ive been speaking with bounce, and with his help and advice, i can now make the music i always wanted to make. Thx man

nicolas..

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 13:22:00

At 8/18/05 08:58 AM, LookingTwiceKills wrote: I've got into Trivium right now, thier amazing! The riffs, the vocals, the dual guitars, the collosul chorus's.
Totally worth looking them up, i swear you shoud enjoy them, their influences are, Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth. Just an all round amazing band!

Yeah Trivium kick ass, but I can't hear any inspiration from Megadeth. I have two of their albums (Ember to Inferno, Ascendancy) and I'd say they're a cross between thrash metal, power metal and death metal, and a little metalcore because of the choruses where Matt Heafy sings his wimpy voice (his screams are insane though). That's the only thing in Trivium that I have a problem with. Every modern band that sings during the chorus constantly reminds me of Funeral For a Friend. They suck big-time ass (emo fags).

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 13:23:25

At 8/21/05 01:14 PM, NDP wrote: To get back to the thread, i actually got inspired by BOUNCE, i dont care what anyone says, ive been speaking with bounce, and with his help and advice, i can now make the music i always wanted to make. Thx man

nicolas..

GoreBastard got me into more death-metal (sort of), and he inspired me to make music on NG.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 18:58:25

At 8/21/05 01:22 PM, FlameMesial wrote:

Every modern band that sings during the chorus constantly reminds me of Funeral For a Friend. They suck big-time ass (emo fags).

Hahahaha that's fucking funny as hell.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 22:01:09

slayer, the first metal band i ever heard.

The names Food, WillPostForFood.

BBS Signature

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-21 22:48:36

At 8/21/05 11:56 AM, ripspeed2 wrote: Incubus....its beautiful man *weeps*

Aye, Incubus is awesome.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-22 03:20:48

manson nirvana linkin park evanescene ughh the list goes on.............

What band or artist

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-22 06:55:58

At 8/21/05 06:58 PM, speedmetalmessiah wrote:
At 8/21/05 01:22 PM, FlameMesial wrote:
Every modern band that sings during the chorus constantly reminds me of Funeral For a Friend. They suck big-time ass (emo fags).

Hahahaha that's fucking funny as hell.

Huhuh, you think that's funny. The Rasmus (goth fuckers) have a new album called 'Hide From the Sun'!! I couldn't stop fucking laughing!!!

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-22 07:15:23

Korn. Jonathan Davis is my idol

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-22 08:22:59

At 8/22/05 06:55 AM, FlameMesial wrote:

Huhuh, you think that's funny. The Rasmus (goth fuckers) have a new album called 'Hide From the Sun'!! I couldn't stop fucking laughing!!!

I really don't quite know what to say to that.

Other than Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Man you've made my day.

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-22 23:21:59

Jonathon Davis Got Fat... i meen he let him self go a whoole lot

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-22 23:30:23

hmmI must of been Eric Clapton Tear in heaven

have to feel sorry for the guy...

Response to What band or artist 2005-08-23 04:09:39

At 8/22/05 11:30 PM, PiePie wrote: hmmI must of been Eric Clapton Tear in heaven

have to feel sorry for the guy...

That's a great song.