00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

a125678298 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Star Wars... Racist? Again?

10,294 Views | 123 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-21 19:25:40

I say, insane. The first one with Episode 1, yes, but not this one. The thing with the army is a MUCH farther stretch than the Jar Jar Binks one. That panel better lay off of the CrackWeed.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-21 19:42:49

Obviously, none of us can get into the head of George Lucas and really find out why Temuera Morrison was casted for the role (subconsciously or whatever), but think of it this way: if Lucas wanted Morrison's character to have such negative connotations, why did he give him the role of such an obviously popularized character? Not a single Episode II commercial goes by without Jango Fett being shown.
Surely, Lucas must have known that Jango and Boba Fett are some of the most famous and well-liked characters in the Star Wars saga. This is especially true of Boba Fett, who, according to the article, "looked even more latino [than Jango]."
Personally, I see no real justification for the accusations in the article. The actors in question are clearly very talented and are not even of hispanic origin. I believe this movie should be enjoyed for what it is and not for ludicrous, alleged subliminal messages that have very little material evidence.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-21 20:35:00

I replied to them with this.

"Would it really be fair to just say, "Since you LOOK Latino, you can't be in this movie" then you'd complain about that, Samuel L. Jackson didn't want many lines, he just wanted to be in the movie, I am white, and I say he was godly, now stop complaining!"

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-21 20:50:39

Hey, guys,

Well frist of all, this is the most mundane subject I ever want to talk about. There's the Yellowstone Caldera looming to destroy the bread basket of America, There is a possible landslide that might produce tsunamis that could destroy the east coast, which could happen at any time, and there is a possibility of terrorist attacks and you all are talking about STAR WARS?? Well, anyways, let's see if all this makes sence to you if I explain it this way...
Have you ever beat a dog, I don't mean just smacking him on the bottom for acting up or putting his nose in his own crap because he pooped in the wrong plase. I mean really lay into him like you're trying to beat his fur back inside him? And for no reason at all, not that you could justify the beating, or that the dog could learn what to do to avoid the next beating, only knowing that another beating will inevitably come? They call it being hand shy, when a dog gets beaten so much. That is how you can tell if a owner beats his dog. I used to take care of animals and have seen it firsthand myself.
Well, here's my point, some peoples in the the US have been subjected to such abuse by the media that anything that seems racist or is percieved as such will get a reaction from the person because nothing much has been good from those sources, and because of the past actions of the media, they could expect nothing else but bad from those exact sources in the future. It's called media shy, that's how you can tell if the media distorts perceptions of various peoples that reside in their country. They used to do it to various peoples and now they have it down to a science. Sometimes you look at one, and most never see it. But those who are sensitive to it will react to those things, making them look like they are complaining. Let me give you an example. For all of you who watch Deep Space 9, May recall the Ferengi's, right? I'm not a Jew, as a matter of fact, my people tried to destroy the Jews; The Ferengi were the alien equivalent of the stereotypical Jew, Yamaka for their little hats they wore, the greed, their short stature, even the ratty ears,( in WWII, the jews were likened to rodentia). I could see it, and some Jews could, but most people don't have to deal with the stereotypes on one level or another, so they don't see it. So if someone complains, everyone will think they are crazy or whining. If they made a violent, red-haired, somking, drunken, swearing, fighing, ape-faced looking, always in jail green-colored bug, I'm sure the more sensitive Irish people would complain. And for good reason. because you can keep an bad image of a people without even using the people when you use aliens. Perhaps the writers aren't trying to do that, but that shows a severe lack of intelligence on their behalf.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 00:53:57

WTF, U guys know whats gonna happen next, the fucking Ninja Midget Bruce Lee Look Alikes Association is gonna be pissed about the Yoda fighting scene. I mean come on how desperate for a story can u get. People are so concerend about whats raciest and how to be politicaly correct. Fuck that shit, it doesnt hold up in the real world. You cant please everyone and if u get offended well hell by all means try to get money to ease the intense pain that u might have gotten from seeing an army of spics fighting. Shit has just gotten out of hand now days. Fuck as a confused 17 year old i just dont know what the fuck to belive in anymore. God this is why is smoke pot.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 02:06:05

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand (jake the muss) and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:
http://detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0205/18/d01-492788.htm

Must be a slow news week. Your thoughts?

jake the muss is god

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 08:43:54

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 08:46:52

Personally I agree with the last statement. I don't understand how such a large population of american society can be so stupid. Come on people. Its a movie, I'm pretty sure they didn't all sit around and think of how they could indirectly disrespect the Mexican culture. Honestly wake up.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 09:00:13

An army of look a like latinos from new zeland.
What's the downside?
The don't say "roger roger".
Still no downside.
Oh No C-3PO's bad puns.
Found the downside.
Side thought, anyone else yoda's fight kinda like a DBZ rip?
LoL

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 10:46:25

Stupid people will always find a reason to whine. The origin or the intention of the character never matters. Just as long as the proles can find something to whine about, they'll be happy, since there's always a hidden consipracy (sarcasm), right?

Fox

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 16:37:23

That movie sucked!!

Oh, man! I think all white people should be protesting that movie to be linked to such crap!!! I thought that whole Yoda thing was funny, because he looked like a piece of crap running around. ha ha ha. That jango looked Mexican? Not really. I guess if you are brownish you are Mexican. I mean, He looked like he was from India more, I guess.

I admit, if your mind was on that stereotype, you could believe that is what that meant. This is exactly what I said before, some peoples must have been SO beaten down by the media, that they can percieve things better, I guess. I could see the Jar-Jar thing. This one is a little more vague. If you though that he was Mexican at first, you probably came to a conclusion similar to that, if you had to deal with those stereotypes. I guess if they had some clones selling oranges on a space-highway that would be more obvious to the simpler-minded.

Anyways, That movie sucked. the dialogue sucked. I flushed things down the toilet more entertaining.

Spiderman was better. Not good, but better. He was getting his butt kicked hard in that one. Loser.

Blade2 was a whole lot better than both of those. I'm sruprised that it didn't do as good. Problably the whold trade tower and Anthrax crap.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 21:36:59

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand (jake the muss) and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:

Okay, as a New Zealander I can say I do not see any relevance between Jango and Boba Fett and Mexicans.

They speak like a lot of New Zealanders. Look like a lot of New Zealanders.

Hell their lines even sounded like something a New Zealander might say:

Tall thin alien: "Boba, is your father home"
Boba: "Yeh."

Jango: "Pack your things son."

Come on. I could be wrong but don't mexicans speak like "Ci Senör!" not "Yeh."

And Yoda's light saber fight was cool.

The way he limped in on his walking stick, then was jumping around doing triple back flips and the like, then he limps over to Anakin, who I dislike.

On a completely irrelevant subject though, notice how Anakin was always looking at Ambidala's tits? And my friends were laughing when he tried to be romantic!

Oh well.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 22:30:53

There was a time when I didn't want to eat your brain. That time is over now.

I just look like Einstein. You have no idea how often that gets me laid.

If I were half the man I was fifty years ago, I'd cut off your arms and legs and roll you down a hill!

When I'm older, I'm going to make EVERYONE pay for what you just did.

If you're trying to tell me that I shouldn't rape cows, well, I all I have to say is... 'Moooooo!'

I'm so happy I could slice my head open and scoop out handfuls of squirming brain meat!

Could you do that neat trick again? The one where you beat up my Mom?

I hear a totally original piece of music...EACH TIME I KILL!

I now this had nothing to do with anything well who gives a damn what you think you monkey loving son-of-a-bitch.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 23:14:28

Yaaa baby saw that movie opening day! Woot!

Anyway ya its total bullshit. Fuckin 'ell people need to get a fuckin life if all they can do is sit on their asses and pick apart movies.

Just my two toonies.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 23:17:28

Sorry should of said this before.

And what if it was an asian person? Or african american person? Basically if the clone army would have been anything but white crictics would have said it was rascist. Theyre stupid fucks. Nuff said.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-22 23:30:36

I tellz ya...

No matter how you slice it or dice it...Americans are stupid!!! Even me, but I'll change that. I mean we have become seemingly so politically correct to the poit of annoyance, yet how many times have you heard a racist joke while you were eating some shit at the IHOP (Internat'l House of Putridcakes?). In fact, the moment the WTC occurred, I heard epople were yanking Arabs outta cabs and beating them!! Sheesh, American's truly are idiotic! Altohught I must concede that Osama Bin Laden is a rather sly indivuidal...with charismatic sensibilities!

Anywho, when something or someone beocmes famous...EVERYONE wnats a piece of you. It's how the MEDIA has conditioned us to think. Take Nelly for example and his problem with supposedly underage sex with girls! Please...all I have to say is that if you don't like the movie, then don't watch it. Don't ruin the rest of OUR lives just becuase your dumb cunt-ass has a problem! You wanna do us all a favor, go see how long you can stay underwater WHILE breathing!!!

I truley believe that those smart individuals in this society of ours are the ones who do not watch TV. BBut that won't curb any hatred...like the KKK or Nazis. So I guess ya just can't win! Humainity sucks!!! I am now a MISANTHROPE!!!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 01:00:23

Critics are just stupid, especially when it comes to sci-fi movies. They really reached for this one. At least you could see what they were talking about with Jar-Jar, even if you didn't think it was racist. This they pulled this one out their ass.

It doesn't surprise me that they got the actor's race wrong either. The media always makes assumptions over what an actor's race is. There are alot of bi-racial actors and actresses that are refered to as being black or white (like Hallie Berry and Keanu Reeves). The race of an actor is something they screw up on a regular basis.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 01:26:18

next time you kill, could you write down the music or record it in your voice (like ta-ta da ta da ta!). Everytime I kill someone I only hear a demonic voice saying "more" and some little girl laughing with some windchimes in the background. You lucky scum.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 05:10:02

[sarcasm]
DON'T YOU PEOPLE UNDERSTAND? The movies are full of racism!

Nemodians (the big eyed trade federation dudes)= George's racist view of asians!

Gungans = George's racist view of black people

Jango Fett, Boba Fett and the Clone Troopers = George's racist view of latino's

Darth Vader = George's way of revealing that black people really ARE the "race" to destroy the galaxy!

All the bad guys in the original movie being british = George's.. uhh.. way of saying that britishes are bad! (despite that there were plenty of british good guys, obi-wan/alec guiness to name one.. and his comment on the fanfilm awards.. "I'm glad it went to someone in britian!")

.. I could go on forever!
[/sarcasm]

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 06:13:28

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:

damn...they are always bitching about that...

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 10:13:30

The article is here:

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 11:01:46

Media is slow, just like when they made up Slipknot had made a song called school wars...

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 14:55:53

The article is here:

Oh, Christ in a case. This is so stupid, I can't even believe it. Jengo Fett and the clone army has NOTHING to do with emmigration. It was only a plot element that was meant for Star Wars, nothing else. I love Jar Jar, I hate Jar Jar. He's nice comic relief, he's annoying as I'll f-in get out. But not for a single second did the lovable prick, with his sligtly carribean accent and his "dread ears", ever catch my eye as racist! He was only a charecter made to make ya laugh and make the movie feel a bit more "wild"! So why in the hell would ANYONE use an even more vague piece of matieral to come up with an even more rediculous allegation of racisism. God... If I had a dime for every time a idiot spoke his/her mind... I'd be ten times richer than Bill Gates!

God, I hate idiots...

Scott Frerichs

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-23 23:20:04

The article is here:

I think That is Pretty unmature of The Critics..Like Come on Its JUST THE ACTORS!!!you dont go against Movies with lots of black people do you?then why Latinos???They Claim To Not Like Racism And yet Critics Still Seem to Not Give a Shit About all these rap videos that portray middle aged black men as Thugs And lowlifes who just like to smoke Up joints And get laid every 15 mins.And movies like chasing amy dont get any contreversy?gimme a break....Society needs to Grow up

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-24 03:41:38

Hmmm...come to think of it, I can kind of see the clone army being symbolic as the Mexican immigration. But I don't see Jango Fett as any part of the Mexican immigration or anything. I just saw him as a character. That did kind of cross my mind as I watched the movie, briefly (since I'm in Texas and all and the US hates Texas and refuses to increase our border patrol), but quickly forgot about it because I just take movies at face value to enjoy them. I never heard of rastafaris, so that whole Jar Jar controversy, I missed. Yay me! But I can totally see the Mexican immigration thing. Not to rain on ya'll parade, but everyone that lives in southern Texas should see it. I know I spoke out about it earlier, but I still think they shouldn't do shit like that. George Lucas is a wonderful artist/creator and my theory is that you can meditate on it, share it with a few people, but publicizing it without proof or authorization is just wrong. Then it becomes an editorial. But, yeah. Just thought I'd be one for the other guys. I don't know if many of you guys actually know what type of impact the Mexcian Immigration has on the United States. I live seeing Mexican immigrants carting lines of trucks or trucks of furniture (assuming they're lucky and have enough American money to stay here) almost on a daily basis. Texas is the only state where Hispanics/Mexicans equal Caucasions in percentage. Nearly every other state has about 23% of their population made up of Hispanics (if I remember correctly). The schools are corrupt and the teachers are poorly paid due to the vast number of immigrant children that go to public schools. This is the Mexican immigration wave. I don't necessarily consider it the Clone Army, because it only effects a single state at the moment...I agree, though, Mexicans/Hispanics are usually stereotyped poorly.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-24 19:42:10

Has anyone else noticed that the Latinos didn't care at all and the only people that really did care were white people looking to stir up trouble with the rest of the world? God! I am not racist in the least, i am just REALLY pissed at this bullshit that won't let something exist how the directors want it because of these dumb ass morons that are probably more racist than ANYONE on the planet to be LOOKING for that stuff in the first place. If the world is supposed to be entirely white, fine, make it that way, if it's supposed to be entirely black, no problem, if the main villain is the only of any specific race, no frigging problem! The people that wrote that article are taking up too much space on the planet and should immediately be slaughtered by blender.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-27 22:30:07

He doesn't even "look" latino, he is a Maori, he looks Polenesian, the closest thing to that near America would be a Hawaiian.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-28 03:02:31

the clone army to me looks more like nazi germany ive never seen mexicans jumping the boarder in formation,and are the minoritys complaing that the jar-jar thing is a senator in this movie

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-06-02 08:10:28

At 5/28/02 03:02 AM, fornicator563 wrote: the clone army to me looks more like nazi germany ive never seen mexicans jumping the boarder in formation,and are the minoritys complaing that the jar-jar thing is a senator in this movie

Ya... They Are Like Nazis....

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-06-05 01:04:06

Okay... this is starting to become really goddam stupid... the Clones (soon to be StormTroopers) are like the Mexicans? HAH! I got 2 words that can sum up the person who thought that: STUPID FUCK!
Aside from all this mess, the movie kicked ass! Err, the parts I saw at least... hehe...