00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Dakale just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Star Wars... Racist? Again?

10,280 Views | 123 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 18:05:44

At 5/19/02 05:56 PM, Joseph_Mcgregor wrote:
At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:
http://detnews.com/2002/entertainment/0205/18/d01-492788.htm

Must be a slow news week. Your thoughts?
Hahahahaha George Lucas, the white supremacist!

That better mean what I think it means

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 18:27:32

The Plot behind the Star Wars Movies is a good explanation how a democratic system can fall into anachry by fear and then turned into a dictatorship!
People who say this kind of nonsence are rightwing extremest unable to understand a democratic system or on the politcal correct left wing (commies), both are interested in spoiling that movie because they don't want that lesson taught to the masses!!!!

LOGAN3333

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 18:59:22

if nobody said something, I would have never know any thing at all, I would of looked at him as some lame guy like me

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 19:21:27

There is nothing like that in the Star Wars Universe. Look at the whole picture, you have Billions of diffrent races all working together in every scene of the movie, remember shown the best in the battle of Endor in return of the Jedi. Then without Jar jar's people there wouldn't have been a distraction for them to sneak into the palace in EP 1. In EP2 withoutthe clone army of the republic there was no chance of the survival of the Jedi, even in they were Mexican, New Lealand, or whatever, it didn't matter. Star Wars is more of a reflection on what society should be like, all races working together.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 20:38:08

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: Does everyone remember the big Jar Jar controversy with Star Wars Episode 1? People felt that his accent and floppy ears (dreads) were a stereotype of rastafaris.

Episode 2 has ushered in a whole new controversy - people think that Jango Fett and the clone army are playing off "American paranoia about Mexican immigration", even though the actor is from New Zealand and isn't even Latino. He just "looks" Latino.

The article is here:

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 21:14:09

Damm. People complain about the orignal Star Wars movies, because there were no minorities, and now they complain about the new ones because there are to many. I am sure that there would be just as many people mad if the clones were white males age 18-35.

Also sense every Star Wars movie starts with the words "A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...." So if the movies take place in another galaxy how could humans, black, white, mexican, or otherwise, really be who the characters are.

I should stop here, I am starting to ramble.

BBS Signature

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 21:36:33

Honestly, who fucking cares? People will complain about anything if given a chance. If the entire movies had been made of non-human characters, there'd probably be someone from the NAACP complaining there were no blacks in it.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 22:52:32

mofos just looking for their 15 minutes.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 22:53:29

what in the hell? its starwars!! not immigration wars. the guy is from new zeland!! for the love of lucifer, whats wrong with people?!?! i have not seen ep2 yet, but it sounds more like the american civil war than fear of latinos taking over the US. the poeple who came up with this sound over sensitive. of corse with ANYTHING you are going to come up with simlarites with something else. also, i think lucis should ease up on the efects. the jedie of ep1 and ep2 make luke,darth,and old ben we know and love look like wussies.

PLEASE FORGIVE MY SPELLING

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 23:40:26

I guess I haven’t put in my two cents about whether or not Star Wars EP2 was a deliberate stab at Mexicans. Probably because it strikes me as nonsensical. Is this the news of today? George Lucas has a pointy white-hooded robe draped over his director’s chair? Well, I’ll be. We never thought of this back when we were buying our Tie fighter models back in ’77.

What you’re looking at is traditionally called, “Baiting Whitey”. White supremacists do a different thing in their own literature—what they do is called, “Scaring Whitey”. In other words, if you’re a white person in American, you can rightfully expect a wide-ranging assortment of opportunists to vie for your attention. Their interest is political. They either want to get a hostile reaction out of you (which will consolidate their fellow minority supporters around the belief: yes, whites are fundamentally angry creatures who hate everyone, therefore, buy radical magazines and music even though it bores you to tears); or—in the case of supremacists—they want you to be so frightened of Mexicans, Blacks, Asians, Jews and Arabs you will make the supremacists look less isolated in their paranoia (not to mention the fact you will might also buy their ill-spelled supremacist magazines and their pathetic music).

I’m a white guy on the outside. Inside, it gets a little harder to explain.

A while ago, on Newgrounds, some person submitted a Flash about “4 AM News” (the joke was, nobody watches 4 AM news, so the newscasters have to fight for material). Now, on this guy’s site (his webpage) he was selling a bunch of Native American masks. I looked at his masks, and they didn’t particularly interest me, so I went elsewhere. What does interest me, however, is the fact that when I was a kid I looked up Native American masks in the Encyclopedia and—those masks in the Encyclopedia (which were considerably uglier Native American masks than the ones on his website; I remember these were used for private ceremonies)—scared me to death. Right after I saw them, I tried showing that picture to my babysitter and she laughed at me. She didn’t see them the way I did. The way I saw them, they were familiar. Now, you tell me why a bunch of traditional Native American masks are hauntingly familiar to 5-year-old white boy whose mom buys all her furnishings out of a Harriet Carter catalogue.

You tell me if you know.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 23:45:28

Jar Jar Binks should die!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-19 23:45:28

Jar Jar Binks should die!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 00:05:42

::sigh::

I agree, Tom. When the news gets slow, people make their own. Star Wars is just a series of movies. It is fiction. There is no statement having to do with race, except for the statement people give it in their interpretation. But that is exactly what it is: an interpretation, not what the creator conveys.

People have too much time on their hands, so they want to start an argument to turn people against one another. The only thing racist about Star Wars is some of people viewing it in real life!
The news is crap a lot of times, and after awhile I just stop listening.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 00:29:57

The article is here:

This is all bullshit. I live in a fucking hispanic city, and my family is hispanic, and when i saw the movie i knew that the actor playing Jango wasn't latino, that didn't even cross my mind, i thought the dude was fucking australian or some shit. I just think that people worry to fucking much about what's racist or shit. When i saw that movie i didn't waste time trying to analyis the whole damn thing, i watched it to enjoy it, god damn it, it's a fucking movie. What's gonna be next, they're gonna start complaing that Anakin got his arm choped off and that he uses artificial limbs it turned him to the dark side. Fuck dude i hate all this bull shit.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 00:34:15

i also thought... are they gonna start complaing to newgrounds that, "why in lower levels the hand is white yet when you get to higher levels the hand turns black, is Tom trying to say that if you're black you're strong and that if you're white you're a weak bastard."
because i just see it comeing.

Suck my cock.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 00:45:16

People are just looking for a cause to champion, that's what it is. 'If I'm offended by this on behalf of someone else, then I'm important.'
Crap, where does that lady get off saying 'He looks Latino'. I have nothing against Latino's, or any race for that matter, but if you're gonna be PC about it, she's just insulted his entire race by saying they look like another one.
What gives her the right to say that?
And if I felt like being a real prick, I'd say she insulted my entire family, by basically saying all Morrisons look latino. Granted, I'm blowing it out of proportion, but that's being PC is all about.
Simply put, if you're so easily offended, you've got more issues then me, and I would suggest serious and extensive therapy.
Of course, if you actually realize that not everything on this planet isn't a veiled insult toward so ethnicity, go see Episode 2, it kicks ass.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 01:25:01

Who gives a Damn what he Looks like, OR DEAR GOD!! THEY MUST BE RACIST, SUE THERE ASS OFF CAUSE WE'VE GOT NOTHING BETTER TO FUCKING DO!! Im all against Racism, but people shouldn't look at shit like this like that, ya hear what im sayin'?

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 01:32:57

That is amazingly stupid. I live in New Zealand, and Mr. Morrison looks nothing like a latino (I was born and raised in Chicago, but have lived in New Zealand for 4 years)... what will the news think of next?

The article is here:

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 02:20:33

In the next movie they will say that the character of R2 is repreenting the vertically challeneged comunity and that they are being shown as thingvs who follow other taller people around all the time and are totally taken advantage of... and have rockets in their legs...

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 02:24:56

At 5/19/02 10:26 AM, TomFulp wrote:

I'm from Australia and i've seen this actor before, he looks very maori (black nz) nothing like latino so find something better to talk about!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 02:33:35

The fucking critics are only saying that because they don't want Star Wars - Attack of the Clones, to get any good publicity.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 02:55:41

The article is here:

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 03:07:06

Bitch bitch bitch, just like those criticts to pick at fucking everything for raceism, That is the same as me saying paper companies are raceist for making most paper white

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 03:21:40

Mechanically separated chicken may contain rib meat.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 04:51:07

It looks to me like u are only trying to get a rise out of everyone. I think that even u dont believe the crap u just wrote, u know as much as everyone else that this is just a movie... and wanna stir up a little action and see if u can flare a few tempers.

I'm not conceited... I'm self-noticed!

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 11:01:36

these people are absolutely fuckin crazy. They live off of making stuff up that makes other people look bad. Lucas couldn't have thought that stuff up. They are just looking for some shit to pin on him. Get a life people

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 12:26:57

Heh. Its more like a "stupid news week". The news media never cease to amaze me. When not much is happening they seem to find a way to stir controversy.
They seem to have forgotten that its just a movie. A form of entertainment/artistic expression. You either like it or you dont.

For the record,I have never understood the Jar Jar/Rastafari connection. Perhaps its just me.

Last one in is the first one out.

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 13:37:34

ATTENTION TOM FULP!

I dunno if you've seen this yet, you probably have.

http://movies.ogrish.com/danielpearl.asf

That is the daniel pearl propaganda video. It shows pearl saying some stuff (that they probably made him say) Then a brief clip of his head being sliced off (you'll notice he has no arms) and his head being held up by it's hair. Some demands come on the screen. I think everyone should watch this @ least once even if they're offended. These are the people that caused 9/11.

DavidG17

*p.s. if you wanna get in contact with me for some reason I'm on the server in the sig*

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 13:43:37

At 5/20/02 01:37 PM, DavidG16k1 wrote: ATTENTION TOM FULP!

I dunno if you've seen this yet, you probably have.

http://movies.ogrish.com/danielpearl.asf

That is the daniel pearl propaganda video. It shows pearl saying some stuff (that they probably made him say) Then a brief clip of his head being sliced off (you'll notice he has no arms) and his head being held up by it's hair. Some demands come on the screen. I think everyone should watch this @ least once even if they're offended. These are the people that caused 9/11.

DavidG17

*p.s. if you wanna get in contact with me for some reason I'm on the server in the sig*

Small mistake. Sig was outdated. I'm on the server my friend metroid created. Sig is correct now.

DavidG17

Response to Star Wars... Racist? Again? 2002-05-20 13:44:25

At 5/19/02 11:40 PM, MisterEd wrote: What you’re looking at is traditionally called, “Baiting Whitey”.

I totally agree with this but on slightly differant grounds. I have not seen the movie yet but if its half as bad as the last one they are simply doing this to try and boost sales. Now you may ask yourself, why would Lucas get the media to bash him? Well, long time Lucas film fans would have to go see for themselves wouldnt they? Doesnt matter what they think after they pay for the ticket.

I glanced through the news article, it just didnt keep me riveted to the screen long enough to read the entire thing, but I can comment on a few things.
1) The corolation between the movie and people being aware of an immigration problem?
Please, I live in souther California, we dont need a Sci Fi flick to make us aware, we know there is a problem and its been around a lot longer than Star Wars.
2) Some half assed comment about Darth Vader being white when he's good but black when hes bad. As I recall the VOICE of Darth Vader was the only thing black about him...ok the costume too. But who were they supposed to get to do the voice? Pee Wee Herman? Yeah that would have been great," HA HA HA, Force is the secret word, AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH, HEE HEE HEE."
If memory serves me right darth vader was a big fat chewed up white guy with his helmet off. More pale than my ass in the winter.

Lastly I dont think there was ever a major issue with Jar Jar being similar to a Jamacian. If there was I think we would have had a lot of pissed off Jamacian. Personally my issues with Jar Jar werent because of his supposed race related looks, but because he was the fucking Barney of Star Wars.

Where was I going with this? Hell I dont remember, Star Wars isnt racist, the media has run out of things to complain about and this is just the next avalible issue. My two cents is that if Star Wars 2 had been a better movie they wouldnt be trying to draw this much attention to it. I dont remember hearing anything about Spider Man, and that movie kicks some nuts.

--peace--