00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Krrly just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Site Performance and more...

8,171 Views | 103 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 16:27:58

The site seems to be running really slow these past few days. How has it been running for everyone else? How has it been running for the past few days, and how has it been for the past few weeks before that?

Also, has NG been crashing your browser? If so, is it a recent thing or has it always done that? We are making plans to buy some more servers. We will also be upgrading MySQL, which will hopefully squeeze some performance out of the current system.

Check out the new Arrogancy collection! This is a great series and we are starting to develop a game together!

We are on the verge of hiring Jose Ortiz to do art on a full-time basis. He would be doing artwork for both Newgrounds (Pico 2) and Newdgrounds (making original content for the subscribers, who would be paying most his salary).

If you have been considering signing up for Newdgrounds, this is another great reason to do so. People who support us will help support Jose and we'll get great content on both sites as a result. Just an FYI for anyone with a credit card! ;)

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 16:32:39

Yeah it has been a bit slow this past week.
But my browser never crashed.

Newgrounds is a website for 13 year olds who cannot understand the difference between "there", "their" and "they´re".

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 16:41:30

The site's been running great for me!

Also, Matt Melvin (the founder of StickSuicide, my site) should have contacted you about joining the NG Netwerk. He e-mailed you at the wrong address the first time around, so I'm just checking to see if you've gotten it yet.

JZ3b in 3 weeks.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 16:44:17

Tom..The site has been extra slow lately. I got a DSL and it is still a pain. It's been like this for about a week. But as for my browser crashing that is a No.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 17:18:27

Yeah, over the past 4 days or so it has been running very slowly in the forums. The rest of NG hasn't been so bad though.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 17:23:47

Yeah on my windows XP it has, but not on my ME. They both use the same isp. (heck, they even use the same socket!) If you can speed this up because my XP has a pentium 4 processer, and I'm worried that I've got a virus on my computer.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 17:25:09

its bin runnin fine 4 me. except the voting flash still takes years to load.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 17:29:16

Well, the site is well planed out, but sometimes I can't enter the chat because the server is down or, whene I click to vote, I'll wait an hour and it will have another "server error". I have an AT&T Broadband Internet (cable modem) connection and my favorite site (NewGrounds.com!) runs like a 56k dial-up when I have over 2,500k, so your right about the "need of more servers". I also think that it's great that your getting someone to help you out with pico 2 and such. Also, for some odd reason, I can only log on to my NG-Gold acount when I'm on the main PORTAL page, hmmmmm? Also, you should have a section on the site that shows the picture of your Grounds-Gold rank (level 1 lolipop, level 2 fist ect.). Other than that your site rocks in the fact that you don't ever give up, and kindly ask other members opinions. Thanks.

Your Friend (if you don't mind me saying.),

g_munk

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 18:03:01

Been running fine for me Tom. Keep up the good work!

-Sam

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 18:04:53

I've noticed that I can only fully enjoy NG at certain times during the day/night. Whether this is my server or the NG server it has become an annoying problem. I'm running on a T1 connection and it just dosen't seem up to par. I constantly have to re-config my ip address just to watch movies or play games and such. I think buying some more servers would be a great idea.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 18:09:31

The site has been running slow for me at approximately the same time that Newdgrounds was released. But for weeks before that, no problems whatsoever. Oh, and it only crashed a few times this week.

I'm glad that you can finally hire Jose, but if he leaves BlockBuster, how are you going to get free rentals now?

Oh, and one suggestion/request for his work on Newdgrounds:

BIG BOOBS!

You do not currently have a signature for your Forum posts. Boooooooo!

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 18:12:25

How long is Pico 2 gonna come out? Why does Newdgrounds cost money???

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 18:25:14

At 3/15/02 04:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: The site seems to be running really slow these past few days. How has it been running for everyone else? How has it been running for the past few days, and how has it been for the past few weeks before that?

The site has been running slow, and in the BBS it is worst. I usually stay away from NG between 3pm and 8pm, because it is just 2 slow. I timeout and Dns quite often. I sign on between 9-10pm if not later. And last night had to be one of the worst nights for speed. I timout in everything, In the portal and the BBS. I stepped out of Ng for awhile came back later and still the same. As for weeks before, some day's it was faster and some day's it was'nt. I venture in to Ng almost everyday. I do think weeks ago was better then now.

Also, has NG been crashing your browser? If so, is it a recent thing or has it always done that? We are making plans to buy some more servers. We will also be upgrading MySQL, which will hopefully squeeze some performance out of the current system.

I do crash, but it's when I load and then try to watch a movie over 1MB in size. I think that is a 32mb problem on my end for ram. It has alway's done that.

Only other time's I have crashed was viewing a movie, that was a rapid spam attack by some author, "enigmabass" I believe was one of them.
But no wierd out of the blue crashes.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 18:33:11

At 3/15/02 04:27 PM, TomFulp wrote: The site seems to be running really slow these past few days. How has it been running for everyone else? How has it been running for the past few days, and how has it been for the past few weeks before that?

Consistently slow, Tom.
And hey, while I'm posting here, could you put my movie in the lego collection?

Dead.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 19:22:15

Newgrounds has been running slow.Sometimes when I load the Newgrounds front page,the Portal(sometimes) and the bbs it runs slow.Newgrounds runs fine at night though.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 19:28:25

Check out the new Arrogancy collection! This is a great series and we are starting to develop a game together!

We are on the verge of hiring Jose Ortiz to do art on a full-time basis. He would be doing artwork for both Newgrounds (Pico 2) and Newdgrounds (making original content for the subscribers, who would be paying most his salary).

If you have been considering signing up for Newdgrounds, this is another great reason to do so. People who support us will help support Jose and we'll get great content on both sites as a result. Just an FYI for anyone with a credit card! ;)

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 19:39:41

Site usually does not load, and if it does, it happens right away. Occasionaly, it takes extra time to load.
New servers/database upgrade should speed things up.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 20:16:08

At 3/15/02 04:27 PM, TomFulp wrote:

:We are on the verge of hiring Jose Ortiz to do art on a full-time basis. He would be doing artwork for both Newgrounds (Pico 2) and Newdgrounds (making original content for the subscribers, who would be paying most his salary).

Hehe, It would definitely be awesome..Finally being able to Finish up Pico2,and even some of my stuff..Also I have Tons of New Ideas for the Samuri Asshole remake!!...
Ahh We can dream:)...BTW did anyone notice that "Sleeping Booty" game on NewDgrounds?....
I wonder who could have drawn that??:)

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 21:09:44

Yea recently NG has not been running too smoothly for me. Since you updated the voting system things have stopped responding and stuff. Anyway man i thought maybe it was just me but hey, maybe not. I hope that if it is a genuine problem that you will sort it soon. Peace out :)

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 21:36:34

Yeah, it has been running pretty slowly lately, and sometimes posting reviews takes two or three tries. But then, some times it's fast too...

Haven't had any problems with browser-crashing. I run ME and IE, so I dunno if it's more of a prob with other OS's or Netscape.

Hope Newdgrounds works out for you.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-15 22:02:41

the site is running REALLY slow. the past few days probly like a week for me. takes like 5 mins to get to the portal. hope to c it running faster soon

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 00:14:08

Past 5day the site running REALLY slow 4 me
and i had to refresh about 2-3 time 4 vote
or enter some page.
in anyway i still love newgrounds:)

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 00:54:43

dude i say buy the servers the thing runs slow ass hell!
just the other day i was downloading a flash movie and i crashed on me!

I dont meen to be bitchy but omg!

FiR3aNdIc3.........

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 00:59:41

MARCH BREAK MAYBE?

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 01:05:32

When there was popups it would some times crash my browser. Now it just runs slow and I get error pages.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 02:47:07

The site for me is running smooth considering the fact I have a 56K modem. Wow, it seems Newgrounds is improving every time I visit. Nice job! Uuumm Tom, are you StrawberryClock?

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 03:04:14

Flash just keeps getting harder and harder, but like my brother says "If flash was so easy to use, then anyone can create cartoons and there would be no appreciation"

My favorite top 3 websites:

www.newgrounds.com

www.lostboiz.cjb.net

www.breakdance.com

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 03:20:42

yeah NG has been working fairly well for me. Except every now and then I get the MySQL connection errors.. but hitting refresh just fixes that.

With the browser crashing.. YES it has been crashing my browser... but not badly. It mainly happens on the portal front page. My Interent exporler freezes until the scrolling flash movie completely loads. Only about twice have I actually had to force-close the browser.

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 03:23:07

It runs like shit!
I have a DSL and still it takes ½hour to get to the portal... just kiddin but it takes still very long time. I hope you could find a better server or somethin. :(

Response to Site Performance and more... 2002-03-16 04:00:41

No browser crashing here, but for many weeks can not access NG between 4PM - 8PM Pacific Time. Site will not usually load during those times.. no biggie, I gotz work to do Anyways.