00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LewgusWithFriends just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Sunday Downtime

15,228 Views | 155 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:10:27

This Sunday, expect the site to be down from 8am until as late as noon. Tim will be taking Newgrounds off-line to make some big hardware changes. This could take as little as an hour, but it may take up to four hours before the site is back on-line.

ATTENTION SAN FRANCISCO

If you live in the San Franciso Area, please come out to the Independent Games Festival Pavilion at Moscone Center during the Game Developers Conference. The Festival is open to the public and is FREE. We will be there with Alien Hominid and Edmund will be there with Gish! Dates are March 9th - 11th from 11:30am to 6:30pm. I won't be available on Friday the 11th, however...

ATTENTION AUSTIN, TEXAS

I am flying direct from San Fran to Austin, Texas, where I am speaking at the South by Southwest festival. Although registration is required for most of the conference, my speech is FREE, so come on down if you are in the area! I will be speaking at 7:30PM on Friday, March 11th.

EXACT INFO:

"The SXSW Interactive Festival is hosting a FREE presentation from Alien Hominid developer Tom Fulp at 7:30 pm on Friday, March 11. This presentation occurs on the top floor of the annex of the Austin Convention Center. Enter at the 4th and Trinity corner of the building."

The SXSW Schedule is available on-line, as is more Information about the Game Developers Conference and the Independent Game Festival.

Remember, both events are FREE, so come say hi! I would especially like to see people in Austin who can come ask questions! I'll feel more comfortable if there are NG fans in the room.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:12:33

At 3/4/05 12:10 PM, TomFulp wrote: This Sunday, expect the site to be down from 8am until as late as noon. Tim will be taking Newgrounds off-line to make some big hardware changes. This could take as little as an hour, but it may take up to four hours before the site is back on-line.

Heh, that'll bring back some memories... =)
Good ol' Sunday morning maintenance.

- - Flash - Music - Images - -

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:13:02

Nooo!!! How do you expect me to live those 4 hours without NG!!!1

Need help on beating Alkie Kong 2, brutal mode? click here.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:13:05

ok, so what time will it be down in the UK?

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:14:59

If that is EST, then that will be 1PM - 5PM. Hmm, okay. I'll probably be doing something else on Sunday anyway. I'll allow that downtime if it's for the improvements on anything necessary.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:17:49

1 till 5? That's ok for me in the UK. I'll go on before that time.

So, what's Tim doing to the hardware?

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:18:02

Thanks for the info Tom,

Being kept updated on whenever there is downtime is very much appreciated.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:21:56

yup 1-5 works for me, i think i will have a sandwich!

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:23:43

Heh, looks like good o' IHOP for me then. :D I'd love to go to Austin, Texas to see you speak, but I don't live there. :: rats ::

[ King of Hearts: Domon Kasshu - Anime Club ] :: [ Final Fantasy Club ]

XBL / PSN - Voidist

Malice is my Sword, Rage my Armour & Anger my Shield.

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:26:13

Cool Means everyone can sleep in Sundat morning. We haven't had any big down tiem since the servers moved.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:28:58

that's o.k. for me i'm going to a party and plan to sleep on the floor drunk till about 11 the next day and then off to his next door neighbours for a 4 hour band practice

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:33:18

Tim is finally installing the load balancer, which is a big box that manages all the servers. When a server crashes, it takes it off-line so no one hits a dead server (something which currently needs to be done manually). It also evenly distributes the traffic among the servers so they all run at the same capacity (currently, a single server can randomly get overloaded with more traffic than the others). So in general, it should make the site performance more robust and dependable.

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:35:31

Good luck to Tim, and i hope to see NG better, if possible :)
8 in the morning is 3 afternoon, israel time. Damn, i'll be home then...
But since the update is on Sunday, it won't bother me, because i'll be level 15 on Monday.

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:40:05

Well that sounds very usefull, but how often does a server crash?

Everything is everything

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:41:47

Thank fot the heads up Tom im sure it wont effect me much.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:47:02

Glad to see anything that keeps the site running smoothly!

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:51:09

"Ducking Bullets and Blowing Up Barriers" Has to be the best sounding title to a speech I've ever heard. The rest of the festival sounds bland. "Keynote speech". bleh. GL on both events Tom.

px hulk.

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 12:55:12

At 3/4/05 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: Tim is finally installing the load balancer, which is a big box full of secks and shit.

Oh, I see. That makes sense.... so, theoretically, we should recieve no errors unless all 500 megabits of bandwidth are being used, right?

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:03:58

At 3/4/05 12:40 PM, VeryProudofYa wrote: Well that sounds very usefull, but how often does a server crash?

Our servers used to crash a lot, although we have really dependable servers running at the moment. However, we have had recent crashes due to recent traffic spikes. That was mostly due to our bandwidth limitations - when we reach our max bandwidth, we "drop packets". When this happens, the end user's computer makes additional requests to our server, trying to complete the download. What eventually happens is the servers become backlogged trying to deliver all the data and they crash. We are resolving this by raising our bandwidth, which we hope to have complete by the end of next week.

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:04:02

well at least you are going to do the servicing on sunday, the one day that i wont be online.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:04:39

At 3/4/05 12:55 PM, LazyFuckingBastard wrote: That makes sense.... so, theoretically, we should recieve no errors unless all 500 megabits of bandwidth are being used, right?

Don't confuse database errors with the webservers going down. As it stands now (my description of this may not be entirely accurate, because I'm no good with networking), the webservers are on a round-robin setup. There are a list of servers in the configuration and when a user hits the site, they're randomly directed to one of the webservers in the cluster.

If one of those webservers goes down, people still get directed to it, until Tim manually takes the webserver out of the configuration file(s) (and even then, it takes a short while for people's dns to actually update).

With the load balancer, IT decides what webserver will be used - requests get sent to whichever webserver is most lightly loaded at the time. If a webserver goes offline, the load balancer knows not to send requests off to that webserver. So it should mean that you always get directed to the pages you're looking for, even if the pages do eventually serve up a database-related error message.

The load balancer probably does some other fancy stuff that I'm missing, too, but what I've described so far is one of the main benefits of having it. Maybe Tim will come in and post some additional details.

Make sense? :)

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:04:53

At 3/4/05 12:10 PM, TomFulp wrote: This Sunday, expect the site to be down from 8am until as late as noon. Tim will be taking Newgrounds off-line to make some big hardware changes. This could take as little as an hour, but it may take up to four hours before the site is back on-line.

NOES!!! what will I do on that sunday!!!

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:19:28

I'll bet if we all press reload hundreds of times on sunday, we could turn the fulps' lights on and off.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:35:01

ii'm sually still asleep so it's no problem for me

my knowledge is rich and deep motherfucker

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 13:45:32

At 3/4/05 12:10 PM, TomFulp wrote: This Sunday, expect the site to be down from 8am until as late as noon. Tim will be taking Newgrounds off-line to make some big hardware changes.

we all have waited a long time for a change here i ng

http://www.interstellarmarines.com/

the best AAA Indie game in the making, help the game by spreading the word! ;D

BBS Signature

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 14:01:50

NOOO....ANYTHING BUT DOWNTIME....GAHHH!!!! WHY DO YOU HAVE TO BE SO CRUEL- ah hell i dont care... :D

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 14:06:08

I'll be asleep until 1 pm at least. Sweet.

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 14:10:03

At 3/4/05 01:45 PM, weirdoo wrote: we all have waited a long time for a change here i ng

Seriously, are you retarded?

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 14:16:38

How about the webpage says "Oops, we are currently being hacked by Bedn. Sorry." when its in mantainance? :D

Response to Sunday Downtime 2005-03-04 14:39:46

ATTENTION AUSTIN, TEXAS

I am flying direct from San Fran to Austin, Texas, where I am speaking at the South by Southwest festival. Although registration is required for most of the conference, my speech is FREE, so come on down if you are in the area! I will be speaking at 7:30PM on Friday, March 11th.

Ill be sure to make it.