00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

blakenator9872 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Is "punk" the new craze?

1,967 Views | 43 Replies

Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:32:36

Im just wondreing. Theres a bunch of fags at my school who dress "punk" and listen to their punk bands. Most of them being the crappy pop-punk. Good Charolete, and NFG to name a few.

I've told all of them that they're not punk. Because they dont know what real punk is. Se x Pistols is real punk.

So is this the new "in" thing?? If it is, atleast its better than rap. And if anyone was wondering, im mostly skater. And i know whats music is in good taste.

(I needed to do something for my 1500 post =P)

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:34:12

Good Charlotta - god I hate them.

They are one of the few bands that I actually want to hunt down and kill

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:34:05

Maybe they want to be "retro". So to speak.

Just tell them that punk died 25 years ago along with there parents.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:34:52

The neo-Punk look has been the new trend for a while now.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:34:59

Yea, its the new rival to Rap.

Real punk bands, the founders of punk, are discrased with this chriastian wannbe anarchist shit, when infact, you have to be an atheist to be an anarchist, and I can ramble on for hours about it, but lets cut it short and just say its wannabe punk.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:35:19

As i have said before I hope that Good Charlotte die an untimely and incredibly painful death.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:40:01

At 12/13/04 02:36 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: Punk died in the 70's, IMHO.

The only good punk now is underground. NFG was good. Way back when they were underground and call Found Glory. But now they ruined it with all this pop.... Jeez.

Currently good stuff. Glasseater, Thrice (some) and Martyr

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:40:43

At 12/13/04 02:32 PM, terqui wrote: Im just wondreing. Theres a bunch of fags at my school who dress "punk" and listen to their punk bands. Most of them being the crappy pop-punk. Good Charolete, and NFG to name a few.

I've told all of them that they're not punk. Because they dont know what real punk is. Sex Pistols is real punk.

So is this the new "in" thing?? If it is, atleast its better than rap. And if anyone was wondering, im mostly skater. And i know whats music is in good taste.

actualy, i think its been on its way out, ever since avril hit the scene they woke up and saw what posers their blink182 asses were. what you need to do is go to school with a huge mohawk, leather jacket and ripped jeans and scream "i worship antiflag" for all these lil trendy radio-listeners to get the message that their shit aint' punk, and then beat em up and drag them to your garage and tie them down and make them watch movies like "the decline of western civilization" and
"suberbia" after you give them tattoos and start your own gang so that you have some friends for when you go see the tossers.

or you could just stop careing and let them grow out of it.

BBS Signature

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:41:02

I used to think people listened to punk because they liked it, not ot look cool. I miss the good old days. :(

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:42:16

Har har, kids today think mainstream pop is punk. Punk has been around since the 60s, and everything not mainstream that was hard and political was punk. Sorry to dissapoint you.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:45:13

At 12/13/04 02:36 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 12/13/04 02:34 PM, WTFSMABEH wrote: when infact, you have to be an atheist to be an anarchist, and I can ramble on for hours about it, but lets cut it short and just say its wannabe punk.
No you don't. And originally, Punk was more Nihilist, then it became more Anarchist and lost it's spirit. Punk died in the 70's, IMHO.

Yes you do.

Anarcy is lack of government, and noone is higher than anyone else
INCLUDING A GOD

Therefore, you cannot whorship a god to belive in anarchy.

You are thinking of Fanastism.(sp?)

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:46:44

At 12/13/04 02:42 PM, uniquecliche wrote: Har har, kids today think mainstream pop is punk. Punk has been around since the 60s, and everything not mainstream that was hard and political was punk. Sorry to dissapoint you.

True. People forget about the true early punk style bands that were part of the underground scene in america in the mid-sixties. Bands like the sonics, the kingsmen and the wailers etc.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:50:56

HA, In belgium it's ''cool'' to be a ''johnny''. This means listening to techno, riding a scooter and going to party's with techno.... Or something in a way like that. Oh, and it's also cool to wear crappy fake skateshoes in belgium.... and then you're like a hardcore skater dude.

I haven't seen much fake punkers though. But yeah, Greenday got another single out on mtv. American idiot. So I guess those people think: WOW, those guys are so cool!, I wanna be like them and hear more of that music... So the only other relative music they know is good charlotte, blink182 and sum41

I mean like: SO hardcore.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:52:06

At 12/13/04 02:46 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 12/13/04 02:42 PM, uniquecliche wrote: Har har, kids today think mainstream pop is punk. Punk has been around since the 60s, and everything not mainstream that was hard and political was punk. Sorry to dissapoint you.
Wow! I am not the only person to appreciate that Punk is from the 60's. Tell me, who do you preffer The Velvet Underground or The Sex Pistols. I preffer The Velvet Underground myself, 'Heroin' is far more lyricaly nihilistic than ANY song by The Sex Pistols.

Are you fucking kidding me? The Sex Pistols had nice lyrics but as far as musical talent goes they were far past dissapointing. Velvet Underground please.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:55:51

Green Day used to be friggin' awesome, like 10 years ago. So was blink 182. All the older underground stuff owned.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 14:59:22

At 12/13/04 02:45 PM, WTFSMABEH wrote: Anarcy is lack of government, and noone is higher than anyone else
INCLUDING A GOD

Yeah but we all know the fundamental problem with "anarchy" is that whoever's got the guns and the bigger "gang" is higher than the others. That's why anarchy could never work because it is destined to deteriorate into a dictatorship as rival gangs merge and eventually one becomes the dominant gang. After that, whatever they say goes and if you say "well I answer to nobody" then they say, "BAM you're dead, anybody else want to negociate?"

So a democracy is similar to anarchy anyway since it's the only way anarchy can exist and thrive because in any other system anarchy would be crushed.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 15:26:06

Nothing's cool anymore because everything's been done.

It's amazing to see it come to this, a time where today's teens haven't come up with a new style since the early 90's. That they call "punk" a new craze, when that supposedly died out in the late 80's.

For those who said it went back to the 60's, well back then the styles have changed. They were more like "greasers" who wore the slick back hair and the leather jacket. Old people called them "punk kids", which later became the name for a style of so-called non-conformists.

Now rebellion is just bought and sold. I remember this 13 year old kid wearing a t-shirt saying, "You hate me because I'm different" and on the back "I hate you because you're all the same". Then I just laughed because he's dressed like so many other "goths" or "punks" did for the last decade. Might as well just wear a shirt saying, "I'm a badass rebel and all I got is this lousy t-shirt to prove it."

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 15:30:26

Emo is the new craze not punbk

LSD!

BBS Signature

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 15:32:11

At 12/13/04 02:34 PM, -Diddy- wrote: Good Charlotta - god I hate them.

They are one of the few bands that I actually want to hunt down and kill

I've actually never heard that band. What's so bad about it?

I am not responsible for the content of the post above.

BBS Signature

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 15:53:25

At 12/13/04 03:28 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 12/13/04 03:26 PM, BigBlueBalls wrote: Nothing's cool anymore because everything's been done.
Gah, there were Futurists and Dadaists before that, subcultures are an infinite recycling programe of culture.

Yeah but if you go back in the last century, you end up in a world where conservatism was the norm. There was subcultures back then, but that's it they stayed as "subculture". Just wearing long hair back then was considered rebellious. After a while, new styles started to come in, you had the hippies in the 60's. Then in the 70's it was disco, early forms of metal and punk just started becoming popular. Then in the 80's punk went into full swing as did the metalheads and then rap started becoming popular. As rap became popular, so did white people who liked it and became known as "wiggers". Then music just continued to get more hardcore (to the extreme of Death Metal) and you had Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails making "goth" popular, which was an offshoot of "punk". Oh let's not forget the skaters. They kind of just turned skateboarding into a style because not all skaters actually skateboard.

I'm not saying nothing ever new will come, but the problem now seems to be that there has been a stall period since the last decade I haven't really seen much changes when it comes to style. Problem is anything "new" seems to fall under some old category.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 15:54:11

when you compare pits of different types of music, the "punk" pits are by far the most fun. like, way way more fun.

if you go to a more genuine punk show you're going to see broken glass, blood and whip cream all over the place. expect to reek like beer and get hurt in some fashion.

if you go to a trendy punk show everyone just kinda bobs up and down in place to the music or the majority of the crowd is lined against the walls so they don't mess up their hair. most of the attire is from hot topic.

either way, punk is pretty much dead. and there you have it!

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:03:48

At 12/13/04 03:54 PM, DanPaladin wrote: if you go to a more genuine punk show you're going to see broken glass, blood and whip cream all over the place. expect to reek like beer and get hurt in some fashion.

I recommend teens here see what original punk was all about when it first started becoming popular in the early 80's. There's a movie called SLC Punk (Salt Lake City Punk) and it's all about Punk in the early 80's within a conservative town. The movie is a 1999 movie starring Matthew Lillard.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0133189/

IMO this movie really captured what punk was all about. Back then everything about it was new and exciting. That's also when the word "poser" first got it's fame.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:09:21

noone knows what punk is anymore... so no... its not the new "in" being a retard os the new "in"

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:12:48

I've got a plan: Record babies screaming when they are hungry or need to be changed. Play three cords on bass/guitar, repeat. Sell it to MTV and make tons of money.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:19:04

At 12/13/04 04:15 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 12/13/04 04:12 PM, Randam wrote: I've got a plan: Record babies screaming when they are hungry or need to be changed. Play three cords on bass/guitar, repeat. Sell it to MTV and make tons of money.
You wouldn't that frequency would turn off MTV. Anyway, songs with babies crying in them aren't original.

how about babies screaming because they are being eatin? just an idea... not saying Ive tried it before or anything....

II II lI

BBS Signature

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:19:15

At 12/13/04 03:56 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote: You know it's funny, all the Spooky Kids who call themselves Goths (and they clearly aren't) listen to Marilyn Manson and Nine Inch Nails, but they are Industrial.

I see your point, but I really don't hugley mind, I am members of old subcultures, not these new ones.

Yeah exactly, I even listen to some Marilyn Manson. NIN were my favourite band growing up, but I never wanted to wear black makeup or wear fishnet pantihose on my arms. Actually I looked more like a wigger LOL. Although I'd like to say before wigger became a complete joke. I was so unconcerned with style, that I wanted to just dress and be what I wanted to be. Baggy clothes I just thought were more comfortable, while I preferred more hardcore music.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:26:50

At 12/13/04 04:19 PM, ForNoReason wrote:
At 12/13/04 04:15 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 12/13/04 04:12 PM, Randam wrote: I've got a plan: Record babies screaming when they are hungry or need to be changed. Play three cords on bass/guitar, repeat. Sell it to MTV and make tons of money.
You wouldn't ...
how about...

Im just saying that's what most "punk" sounds like nowadays. Whining little brats with the same music looped over for 4 minutes.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:33:07

At 12/13/04 04:19 PM, ForNoReason wrote: how about babies screaming because they are being eatin? just an idea... not saying Ive tried it before or anything....

Well because it would be illegal...

Nine Inch Nails did something similar to over a decade ago, it was real screams of a masochistic performance artist being tortured in his Happiness in Slavery remix, where it was looped and made part of the song. Also, his video for it never made it on television for that song because it was too graphic.

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:38:35

At 12/13/04 04:28 PM, ZeroAsALimit wrote:
At 12/13/04 04:26 PM, Randam wrote: Im just saying that's what most "punk" sounds like nowadays. Whining little brats with the same music looped over for 4 minutes.
We know, but you inspired us to make Avant-Garde art. You should be happy if anything.

I've done my good deed for today yay! As for the "goth" debate, I also like both bands for a long time. Im not saying I am goth since there are just so many things you have to do and be in order to become one. Sure I wear black, but not all the time. Or write moody poems, blah blah..its just all trends in a way. Which is funny since goth is supposed to be so anti-trend. Same thing with "punk". Mommy and Daddy wont buy you that plaid skirt that cost 50 bucks at Hot Topic? Form a punk band!

Response to Is "punk" the new craze? 2004-12-13 16:39:11

At 12/13/04 02:32 PM, terqui wrote:

:Se x Pistols is real punk.

(I needed to do something for my 1500 post =P)

amen brother amen..

[ woman vocalizing ] [ man speaking backwards ] last.fm

BBS Signature