00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mystlol just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Book Club

87,389 Views | 1,136 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Book Club 2011-08-24 14:42:19

I'm a big fan of the Inheritance cycle by Christopher Paolini (Eragon, Eldest,etc.).#4 is released November 8.

Response to The Book Club 2011-11-13 22:59:05

At 10/26/04 04:07 PM, Tri-Nitro-Toluene wrote:
At 10/26/04 03:09 PM, LordSkeletor wrote:
Yeah I love the Fantasy/Fiction genre.So far my favourite author is between J.R.R Toliken and Terry Pratchet
Pratchet is the god of comedy writing. Rincewind is by far the greatest character ive ever read about in a book.

I'm 7 years too late to say "No", Luggage is better and Death or Vimes more so than that.

But yes, Pratchet is a brilliant writer, along with Tom Holt who reminds me of the versa.

Piss

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-11-26 15:22:48

Started rereading Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut. Words cannot describe how much I love this book. It's so weird, yet so brilliant. "So it goes" is now one of my most used phrases as it is almost infinitely usable in situations.

Anyone else in this club read this book? Do you share my love for it?

The Book Club

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-11-27 07:12:21

I'm ploughing through The Many Coloured Land, by Julian May at the moment and then I'm going to very carefully read my signed copy of Snuff, from Discworld, now that I've shown it to all of my jealous friends.

I need to find a place to keep that book, where it can be displayed, but out of the sun, so the cover won't fade, so it stays worth as much as possible.

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-08 20:31:15

Anyone ever read The Aeneid by Virgil. I'm starting it for my 11th grade English class. It seems like a challenge and I can't help but think I should have chosen something different.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-08 20:32:54

At A few seconds ago, Makeshift wrote: Anyone ever read The Aeneid by Virgil.

QUESTION MARK!

Still no damn edit button.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-09 05:48:04

At 9 hours ago, Makeshift wrote: Anyone ever read The Aeneid by Virgil. I'm starting it for my 11th grade English class. It seems like a challenge and I can't help but think I should have chosen something different.

Ancient Roman and Greek poetic epics, like Virgil, Homer and the like are tough going, mainly because they have had to be translated, plus their work is 2,000 - 3,000 years old. If you think how dated some of the humour is in Shakespeare, you can multiply that by ten for Virgil.

I want to read the Iliad and Odyssey at some stage, but it's just finding the time, to be honest.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-10 18:20:54

At 1 day ago, Coop wrote: Ancient Roman and Greek poetic epics, like Virgil, Homer and the like are tough going, mainly because they have had to be translated, plus their work is 2,000 - 3,000 years old. If you think how dated some of the humour is in Shakespeare, you can multiply that by ten for Virgil.

Well I ended up switching to North and South for my English class. I've heard it's extremely boring for the first half, but there really weren't any good choices. I'm buying my own copy of the book so I can write in it to make notes. To get free shipping on Amazon I need to make a purchase of at least $20 or $25, so I've added Slaughterhouse-Five and Cat's Cradle to my cart. I'll read those in my free time. Probably after I'm done this English course. I don't want to get those mixed up with North and South, Frankenstein, and Macbeth.

// LETTERBOXD //

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-13 16:15:35

I'm pretty big into reading at the moment as well. I've gotten really into it again during the past year or so. At the moment I'm reading Gold Coast by Nelson DeMille. It seems to be considered one of his best books, and since I haven't read anything else from DeMille, who am I to judge? I'm enjoying the style it's written in. I haven't read any books written in first-person for a while, and DeMille seems to be fairly talented at it. His protagonist in Gold Coast, John Sutter, seems to be quite a well written character so far (only about 150 pages in), and I'm interested in the story.

The best book I've ever read has been Animal Farm, by George Orwell, though I also have to give Claus Hant a recommendation for his 'non-fiction novel', Young Hitler. Hant's style is something I found very easy to read, and it's the kind of historic book which I think everyone could enjoy to some degree, regardless of how much they know about Hitler or recent history.

I'm on Last.fm!

Also, I used to be YeOldeSierra. Now I'm just Sierra :3

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-14 10:03:14

At 19 hours ago, Amaranthus wrote: I'm busy reading The Simallirion by J.R.R. Tolkien and i must say i'ts complicated.
I'ts not a story more the history of Middle-earth untill the time that Sauron lost his ring.
Very complicated but i like it.

Yeah, it's more like reading the Bible of middle earth. I didn't enjoy it too much :(

S&Box, the game Facepunch Studio have been working on.

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-16 08:46:19

At 1 day ago, FattyWhale wrote:
At 19 hours ago, Amaranthus wrote: I'm busy reading The Simallirion by J.R.R. Tolkien and i must say i'ts complicated.
I'ts not a story more the history of Middle-earth untill the time that Sauron lost his ring.
Very complicated but i like it.
Yeah, it's more like reading the Bible of middle earth. I didn't enjoy it too much :(

I wouldn't say it was quite like the bible of Middle Earth - it's a history book, yes, but not the basis for a religion. Of the two books, while I am more likely to worship something from the mind of JRR Tolkein, than something from the bible, I'm not saying that Tolkein formed a better religious text. Merely that he told a better story.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-16 12:50:24

I am currently getting myself through Agatha Christie books which I know makes me sound very old.

There is currently a magazine book collection running in the UK, which each fortnight provides one of her books. I got the first one out of curiosity (and the fact that it cost like £2), I got the second out as I have always wanted to read Murder on the Orient Express and I got the third because I enjoyed the other two so much. I've now finished the third (Murder at the Vicarage) and I'm going to continue reading them I think. I didn't realise that I would enjoy detective books so much.

If anyone has any suggestions for other detective books (any period) then please let me know. Though I won't be reading anything else for months and months while I keep buying Christie books.

The Death of Roger Ackroyd was wonderful.

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-16 16:03:13

Speaking of the book club, I made it into the Guniness Book of World Record 2012 VG Edition. :D Yay!

Guinness Book of World Record holder for the game Blur on Xbox 360, NG's Legendary Member.

Click my sig to see the best Newgrounds flash EVA! Give it a review as well. ;)

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-17 21:43:56

I'm currently reading H.P. Lovecraft's complete fiction, It's amazing :D I recommend you check it out!

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-19 08:10:59

At 1 day ago, epopour122 wrote: I'm currently reading H.P. Lovecraft's complete fiction, It's amazing :D I recommend you check it out!

Just finished Richard Stark's The Score. Its a Parker novel.

Great 60's pulp writing.

Baby Britain.

Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2012-02-20 04:40:04

At 3 days ago, Seamonky wrote: Speaking of the book club, I made it into the Guniness Book of World Record 2012 VG Edition. :D Yay!

What on earth for?

I'm reading the Dangerous Book of Heroes, by Conn and David Iggulden. Their work gives us a brief, yet informative history of various figures that shaped our lives today in one way or another. Captain Cook, for his charting of the south seas and attempts to chart the North West and North East passages above Canada and Russia, respectively. The Magna Carta Barons, for restricting the powers of King John and allowing us to form a government that we have today. And Sir Ranulph Feinnes, for losing a toe in the bath, forgetting about it and having his wife discover it the next day.

Awesome, if somewhat graphic stuff, sometimes.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2013-11-01 00:50:54

Currently reading House of Hades, will have a review up soon prob

私のちんちん

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-05-17 22:19:37

Currently reading Allegiant and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

My favorite books are Looking for Alaska, Fight Club, and any other book by Chuck Palahniuk.

My to-read list is never ending, and walking into a bookstore has never failed to cheer me up.

The Book Club

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-06-20 20:41:38 (edited 2016-06-20 20:42:15)

At 5/17/16 10:19 PM, Kayleeee wrote: Currently reading Allegiant and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo.

Finished reading Allegiant, and another book named "Hoot." Almost on page 200 of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. Also started reading Bridget Jones Diary. I need to finish up ten more books this year to reach my goal of reading 30 books this year.

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-06-28 11:54:17

Recently finished "Crime and Punishment" by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Absolutely loved it. Just started on another book by him, "The Brothers Karamazov."

Response to The Book Club 2016-06-29 15:27:54

I've been more of an avid reader these last few years and I've set a goal to read a book every two weeks. So far I'm on track this year.

Anyway, currently I'm reading H.P. Lovecraft's The Call of Cthulhu and Other Weird Stories which is the Penguin collection of his writings. I was somewhat familiar with his works through popular media, but never actually read anything by him.

I'm not that far in yet, but I'm very much enjoying it. I imagine it might start to feel a little same-ish after a while though. His short stories have had very similar themes and build-ups thus far. Nonetheless, the first couple of stories were definitely fun reads. Looking forward to reading his most famous works.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-07-03 10:12:29

Went to the bookstore yesterday, and picked up a copy of Fight Club 2. I'm so fucking excited to start perusing it.

The Book Club

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-07-04 15:04:36

I haven't actually read any fiction for quite some time...the last one was 'Kill your Friends' by John Niven. Very dark, very funny. Quite short but definitely worth the read. Was made into a shit film, don't watch it.

Check out the blurb and people's reviews here - https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/2848807-kill-your-friends#

Also, I'm amazed this thread still exists - Hey!

Response to The Book Club 2016-07-16 22:53:40

Cleaned my bookshelves today. The two tall shelves are my "read" books (one is fiction, one is nonfiction). The third bookshelf is my "to read" bookshelf. I need more time to read, clearly. I can't fit anymore books on my "to read" shelf.

The Book Club

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-07-18 01:29:39

Reading Ready Player One currently. I'm really digging its version of the future paired with its obsession for the 1980s. Right up my alley.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-08-06 13:56:12

I'm at 29/30 on my Reading Challenge for 2016.

I read three books while on vacation: The Boy in the Striped Pajamas, Number the Stars, and Exposed.

I was also able to buy a Spanish book by my favorite author while on vacation in Spain.

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-08-22 15:36:54

I'm reading Bluebeard by Kurt Vonnegut. Half-way through and haven't been disappointed so far.

The Book Club

Response to The Book Club 2016-08-28 17:55:53

Reading The Day We Met by Rowan Coleman and experiencing so many emotions while reading this book. The following quotes from this book gave me chills:

“Love is a funny thing," he says, breaking the silence. Sometimes, I'd like to be better with words, so that I could talk about it more. It seems so wrong to me that there is this condition that affects all of us, more than anything else in our lives ever will, and only the poets and song writers get to talk about it with any sort of authority.”

“Being a mother is about protecting your children from every conceivable thing that might cause them hurt, but it's also about trusting them to live the best way for them, the best way they can; and trusting that even when you are not there to hold their hand, they can succeed.”

“I think it’s love that lasts. It’s love that remembers us. It’s love that is left, when we are gone. I think those feelings are more real than our bodies and all the things that can go wrong with them.”

Such a beautiful read. 70% finished.

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-08-30 00:53:43

I'm going through Storm of Swords for the second time and I'm picking up on all the little things I never saw the first time and making connections I never seen.

This series changes when you read it again, very intriguing and Martin is a damned good author.

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2016-08-31 23:07:17

At 8/28/16 05:55 PM, Kayleeee wrote: Reading The Day We Met by Rowan Coleman and experiencing so many emotions while reading this book. The following quotes from this book gave me chills.
Such a beautiful read. 70% finished.

I finished this book tonight and I'm experiencing a book hangover now. It was so good. "What will survive of us is love." So fucking good. I'm going on hiatus before my next read.

BBS Signature