00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GasGrass just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Book Club

87,394 Views | 1,136 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-13 20:02:42

At 9/13/07 05:42 PM, milinko959 wrote: Is Don Quixote a good book? I've been thinking of picking it up, but I don't want to waste my time on it if it's not good, since I usually read a pretty slow pace.

I for one found it quit interesting but to be honest I went in with the mind set that it would suck and then liked it. you say you read at a slow pace, how slow is slow, but every one had there methods and any pace that makes you comfortable is good enough. however don't pick it up if you have little free time,, as it is a fairly thick book. on a personal note I would highly recommend it because I thought it was hilarious but that's just me.

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-17 21:22:17

so hows everyone doing today? no new book to talk about but I did find a web site that has a all of William Shakespeare's plays. I have no idea if its in full as I haven't read then all but quite a few are. so there is the link if any one is interested in ol Will's plays.

ps. this site has a few other things to read as well, a lot actually, especially if you like to read about ancient history in the first account.

pps. this is what I might start reading soon.

one last thing I'm a new user here so does this count as a double post.

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-18 08:01:13

At 9/17/07 09:22 PM, vgfa287 wrote: so hows everyone doing today? no new book to talk about but I did find a web site that has a all of William Shakespeare's plays.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Seriously, it's like reading a contemporary issue of the Daily Mail. He only wrote what people wanted to hear and it put bums on seats to make him money. He's the biggest brown-noser in history, don't go there!

Will it ever end. Yes, all human endeavour is pointless ~ Bill Bailey

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-24 19:49:23

alright then well this a post about a first. for the first time I read and completed a book on line. the book is called Romance of the Three Kingdoms, and don't let the name fool you there is nothing romantic about it. the book is considered to be a classic in China and if any one wishes to read the book you can find it here, the site has the full edition of the book and it even offers explanation for those of us how have limited knowledge on Ancient Chinese history.

ps. look for a review when ever I get to it.

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-24 22:22:49

At 9/18/07 08:01 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/17/07 09:22 PM, vgfa287 wrote: so hows everyone doing today? no new book to talk about but I did find a web site that has a all of William Shakespeare's plays.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!

Seriously, it's like reading a contemporary issue of the Daily Mail. He only wrote what people wanted to hear and it put bums on seats to make him money. He's the biggest brown-noser in history, don't go there!

Not at all, i can't believe how many great classics are so unappreciated just because they are too long or too complex. Complexity is the nature of art! It takes not much brain to see the symbols, the feelings of the character -and of the author itself- hidden between the plot

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-25 09:10:34

At 9/24/07 07:49 PM, vgfa287 wrote: Romance of the Three Kingdoms

Yeah, they made a game series based around it - Dynasty Warriors. It's a great game and the story is a pretty good one as well.

At 9/24/07 10:22 PM, stybayo wrote: Not at all, i can't believe how many great classics are so unappreciated just because they are too long or too complex. Complexity is the nature of art! It takes not much brain to see the symbols, the feelings of the character -and of the author itself- hidden between the plot

Look, I studied about half a dozen Shakespeares in my time at school and the only one I enjoyed was Henry V. The rest, I could have happily gone through my life without having to suffer. Romeo & Julliet was particularly monotonous and the Leo DiCaprio movie did nothing to improve it.

My English course really needed to be modernised, because we concentrated too much on Shakespeare and not enough on more contemporary authors, who present less of a challenge to read. The most contemporary we studied was Lord of the Flies by William Golding, which is a good read, but Tolkien is one of the best authors who has ever lived and we didn't even touch his work.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-25 18:42:35

Yeah, Shakespeare it's over rated bit i don't think his work sucks that bad. I personally think Tolkien is over rated. It's a matter of choice.
Right now im looking for some spare time to read Don Quixote, what do you say about it?

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-25 19:05:02

At 8/29/06 12:32 PM, Sidorio wrote: Hi, I know you guys don't really review

I personally like to review, its the best i do -but im good ad writing-.

Part 8, Chapter 28
We live to die:
Q wasn't the only one to have heard the noise. Yomikusi was nearly at the kitchen when the crying stopped and he could hear voices.
Q: Is it really you?
Woman: Yes, i've returned from the dead.

This is too used, i mean, it' somewhat too obvious. The narrative is dull and only tells the story in a very basic form

Q: No, it can't be. You're one of the spirits that we saw earlier trying to attack us.
Woman: But does it really matter? You can have your old life back with your wife and son.
Q: Leave me be. The real Katrina is buried in the woods, you're just an imposter!

Here is that dullness again. Try to say the things in a way that makes the readerthink

But deep down he wan't to believe she was real.Katrina approached him untill they were nearly touching. Yomikusi opened the door a fraction and peaked in

Try to say it somewhat like this
"something inside Q wanted to believe she was real, to stop thinking and just believe she was alive again"

Katrina: Give in Q.
Suddenly she kissed him straight on the lips and he didn't try to stop her. But then his eyes widened and he fell to the floor. His clothes caught fire and then his skin untill there was nothing left of their leader. Katrina grinned.
Katrina: Kill the one outside of the door.
She and the baby vanished and a spirit in the form of his deseased uncle appeared next to Yomikusi. Yomikusi drew his sword but the spirit waved his hand and Yomikusi was sent spinnig backwards through the air. Quick as a flash he was back on his feet but the spirit was ready and sent an invisible punch into his nose. Yomisuki was't even on his feet when the spirit knocked a chair over his head. He tried to fight back but his sword was knocked out of his hand.
Uncle: Prepare to die Yomisuki.

Too dull. The storyline as itself is cool, has action, some twists, but the narrative needs improvement along with parts of the script, try to give different personalities to your characters

But he wasn't going down that easily. Pretending to be uncouncious, Yomisuki leapt up and grabbed his uncles neck. The spirit screamed, awaking the others who rushed down stairs.
Yomisuki: Help me hold him down.
The others put their hands on the spirit causing it intense pain and making him turn back to his normal state.
Spirit: Don't kill me, i'll do anything you say!
Yomisuki ignored him and told the others what had happened to Q then asked who Katrina was.
Indigo: It must be his wife. He told me that he was married once but his wife died during child birth.
There was a stunned silence.
Meng: They killed him...
The spirit began to scream with pain.
Spirit: He's not dead, he's in another dimension. I will send you there if you free me.
He continued to scream and a few ninjas took their hands of of him to make him quiet down.
Fullmetal: Take us there now.
The spirit smiled and then a blue mist came out of his mouth engulfing them. When it cleared they were in labirinth.
Natsume: Now what?

Q knew as soon as he opened his opened his eyes that he was going to die. He looked around and realised he was tied to an operating table in a dark, cold room. Tepai was standing next to him.
Q: What do you want with me, you filthy bastard?
Tepai ignored the question.
Tepai: Try not to flinch, it will make it hurt more.
The ninjas had been walking for half an hour and hadn't encountered any spirits so they were becoming more relaxed. Suddenly, Q ran out in front of them. Hellbound ran towards him.
Hellbound: Are you okay? We've come to save you.
Q drew his dagger.
Hellbound: What are you doing?
Q: Killing you.

That was too expectable.

He stuck the dagger deep into Hellbounds chest. Shadowist ran towards them but there was an invisible force field. Q began to change into a spirit, but not an ordinary blue one, the golden leader.
Leader: Bet you didn't know the leader could transform into the living and the dead.

Why would a demon leader or something describew his own abilities? -unless he had a cocky personality- Try to leave your characters to have an own personality, not to describe parts of the storyline
I'lkl continue later, gotta go, improve it!!

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-25 19:15:41

At 9/25/07 06:42 PM, stybayo wrote: Yeah, Shakespeare it's over rated bit i don't think his work sucks that bad. I personally think Tolkien is over rated. It's a matter of choice.
Right now im looking for some spare time to read Don Quixote, what do you say about it?

I think I wrote a crappy review on that book a few posts ago. all in all its pretty good, the book not my review.

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-25 20:48:09

At 9/25/07 07:15 PM, vgfa287 wrote:
At 9/25/07 06:42 PM, stybayo wrote: Yeah, Shakespeare it's over rated bit i don't think his work sucks that bad. I personally think Tolkien is over rated. It's a matter of choice.
I think I wrote a crappy review on that book a few posts ago. all in all its pretty good, the book not my review.

Yeah i read the review and left a comment. I'm reading it right now but i gotta do it in the nigth schools is fucking all over the place and of course NG bbs gotta have a time of the day.
But maybe i'll leave it to a better time rigth now i'm gonna re-read a book i read a week ago, The disease by Alberto Barrera Tyska -it's not sci-fi-

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-26 08:54:18

I understand it's a matter of choice over what you read personally, but I don't think we've had any other author or playwright who we have studied more than one work of. Granted, we did study several poems by Wilfred Owen, the acclaimed 1st World War poet, who was sadly killed in action 3 days before the end of the war.

That's different, because we spent about 5 weeks doing the poems, but we spend the best part of 18 months studying Romeo & Julliet. I got a B for English and I'm, beginning to wonder if my essay, which was basically a thinly-veiled attack on Shakespeare and his moral approach to playwriting counted against me for the final mark.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-26 17:54:16

At 9/26/07 08:54 AM, Coop83 wrote: I'm, beginning to wonder if my essay, which was basically a thinly-veiled attack on Shakespeare and his moral approach to playwriting counted against me for the final mark.

Maybe, and studying always the same author under any circumstances sucks. About that author of the IWW i haven't read anything but i might have heard of him.
Mainly i have read lots of Latin American novels because those are the one's i find more easy, although i have read lots of Dickens books, i want to read again the Old and the Sea

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-26 19:11:55

At 9/26/07 05:54 PM, stybayo wrote:

, i want to read again the Old and the Sea

you mean the old man and the sea I read that its kind of depressing.

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-26 19:21:16

At 9/26/07 07:11 PM, vgfa287 wrote:

Yeah The old man and the sea i haven't found it anymore i guess i¡ll have to go to the library it's really a good book

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-26 19:28:14

At 9/26/07 07:21 PM, stybayo wrote:
At 9/26/07 07:11 PM, vgfa287 wrote:

Yeah The old man and the sea i haven't found it anymore i guess i¡ll have to go to the library it's really a good book

yeah good luck with that, the library I go to sucks ass. once I found a book on their web site and go there to pick it up the guy looks at me as if i am crazy. its not like the book was unknown he should have known what the Iliad was. dumbass

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-26 21:51:35

At 9/26/07 07:28 PM, vgfa287 wrote: yeah good luck with that, the library I go to sucks ass. once I found a book on their web site and go there to pick it up the guy looks at me as if i am crazy. its not like the book was unknown he should have known what the Iliad was. dumbass

OMG what a huge retard how can he not know that??? Geez retardness seems to surround us even more.
About how people are useless at their jobs:I recently readed a small bookle about an article named "The message to Garcia, about a men who was sent to deliver a letter -a letter to Garcia- and he just did his, without any further questions.
The point is how people, as soon as they are sent to do something, start building up a bunch of excuses and stupid questions before doing their job, especially in todays working environment.

You don't kill the clown

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-27 09:07:29

At 9/26/07 05:54 PM, stybayo wrote: Maybe, and studying always the same author under any circumstances sucks. About that author of the IWW i haven't read anything but i might have heard of him.

You may have read some of his works, but I've never really noted the name of the author when it comes to poetry.

Mainly i have read lots of Latin American novels because those are the one's i find more easy, although i have read lots of Dickens books, i want to read again the Old and the Sea

Dickens would have been a great author to study, as his works are based mostly upon personal experience, as are George Orwell's

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-27 16:22:39

At 9/27/07 09:07 AM, Coop83 wrote:
At 9/26/07 05:54 PM, stybayo wrote: Maybe, and studying always the same author under any circumstances sucks. About that author of the IWW i haven't read anything but i might have heard of him.
You may have read some of his works, but I've never really noted the name of the author when it comes to poetry.

Dickens would have been a great author to study, as his works are based mostly upon personal experience, as are George Orwell's

Orwell is a good author had the chance to read animal farm a few years ago. did any of you read big brother? as for Dickens i think i read great expectations a while back but don't remember much.

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-28 08:46:31

At 9/27/07 04:22 PM, vgfa287 wrote: Orwell is a good author had the chance to read animal farm a few years ago. did any of you read big brother?

I have read both Animal Farm and 1984 (It's not called Big Brother :P) Both excellent reads and very good with observations

as for Dickens i think i read great expectations a while back but don't remember much.

He can be long winded, but he is a true great

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-09-28 14:13:09

oh right sorry thanks for the correction I must be thinking of the reality show.

Response to The Book Club 2007-10-03 16:39:32

At 9/28/07 02:13 PM, vgfa287 wrote: oh right sorry thanks for the correction I must be thinking of the reality show.

Where you can see how Orwell inspired the Reality TV Show (And possibly the Truman Show film), I think that there are actually few similarities between ho whe was thinking and how they show works :P

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-11-06 05:45:14

For all of you Star Wars fans out there, I'm reading 'The Bounty Hunter Wars Trilogy, by KW Jeter. Legandary Bounty Hunter, Boba Fett has no friends and many enemies. Most people believe he met his untimely demise when he fell into the great Pit of Carkoon on Tatooine.

A few people know the truth that he killed the Saarlac beast that resided within the pit, shooting one of his rockets into its gut. Now he is recovering by sheer willpower, when even the best efforts of the two med droids to save him appear to be failing. A former dancing girl at Jabba's palace believes he knows something about her, prior to her mind being swept clean by some memory wipe program.

What does he know? Can the unlikely partnership prove beneficial to either party?

The Mandalorian Armor is the first book of the trilogy that I have read a couple of times. I have read Slave ship before, but I have only recently managed to track down a copy of Hard Merchandise (an auspicious title, to say the least), but I only paid £3.80 for it, including postage, so it's not that bad.

News

#StoryShift Author

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2007-12-15 21:44:33

its been a while since I posted here but what can I say stuff got in the way. I finished reading Road to Gandolfo by Robert Ludlum and I may do a review later on. I'm currently reading A short history of nearly everything by Bill Bryson at a snails pace but I have finals coming up so they do have most of my attention

Response to The Book Club 2007-12-16 02:59:48

Hey there Skeletor, was just browsing the forums because I didn't want to sleep, and look what I find, and your the creater.

My favorite author would have to be John Ringo, my favorite books by him are probably the "Ghost" books. These are about an ex seal (I think) who gets pulled into saving the world from WMD's, full of fast paced action, terrorist killings, inner demons, some steamy parts (good amount of bondage play in the first book), overall a very well writen book. Though I wish he would change up the dialogue between his characters a little, but that is easily over-looked.

This book would be a good idea to check out at your library.

Another series by him (this is the first one I had read) would be "There will be Dragons" good story of the future. The world has become completely dependant on electricity, they don't work, women don't have babies due to nanobots, you can change how you look, there are even unicorns and other mythical beasts all created with technology. When the counsel begins to war on each other the power is rerooted to full their attacks leaving the people in the mid-evil era, what will happen to them?

This should also be checked out, keep in mind these are fairly large books, I believe the first one is some 500 pages? Hmm that doesn't right. Is 500 hundred big, grr I can't remember.

"Roleplaying is to the mind what masturbation is to the body. It's dirty, obscene, not publicly performed " - Shalashaska-1

ZombieCrew SurvivalRP Siggy by Thimbles

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-07-31 23:06:39

I just read The Sorcerer's Stone and it was good and felt kinda short. I am currently reading Why We Want You To Be Rich By Donald Trump, Robert Kiyosaki, Meredith McIver, and Sharon Lechter, It's all about why and how they became rich and their opinions on problems with the government and people financially. I'd recommend it to anyone who would like to have some extra cash or become flat out rich.

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-08-01 21:01:18

So, for summer reading at my college, I had to read The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind: Creating Currents of Electricity and Hope by William Kamkwamba. I finished it recently and it was a decent read, but it made me feel so guilty about being a white person in a developed country. This kid had nothing but scrap and he built a windmill. I have almost everything in the world available to me and all I do is play video games and post on Newgrounds...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-08-02 02:30:17

Sounds like a good read any idea where I can get it and how much it costs?

Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-08-09 11:45:40

Been reading the Gears of War novels. I'm on the 4th one now.

They do a great job not only bridging the 2 years gap, but actually turning the characters into more than steroid abusers.

The Book Club

"I think it passing odd that I am loved by one for a kindness I never did, and reviled by so many for my finest act." ~ Jaime Lannister

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-08-09 12:14:59

SO I bought Kant's Critique of Pure Reason. Haven't gotten that far into it yet , but he does a great job explaining pure knowledge versus empirical knowledge.

" Let the metal flow " - Chuck Schuldiner

GUITARISTS Awesome sig by Tateos.

BBS Signature

Response to The Book Club 2011-08-10 20:02:13

Just finished reading Phillip K. Dicks' "Ubik" very interesting. Highly recommended to anyone who likes SciFi. I think they are also trying to make this into a movie. Probably going to read Ambercrombie "Law" books next.