00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

The7thConqueror just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Martial Arts Club

425,283 Views | 9,144 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 00:40:04

At 3/5/06 12:27 AM, Tsuchiya wrote:
mono: ill think about getting one, but chances are a no, since i dont go out too much, and i could get in trouble if i brought them to school.. but i did take the chain of my wallet (too noisey) and put my keys on it, and stuffed that into my pocket. kinda hard to get out in a quick situation, but if i could get some time i could pull it out, then who ever was attacking me (or some one else) would have that much more to worry about, its about a foot long, and has a little lock thing on one side, and three keys on the other, so its not to the of lethality, but big enough to make someone think twice if i really hit them hard with it. and when we start doing rope fighiting in ninjutsu i can learn to pull of fancier things with them, like joint locks!

Yeah, pepperspray is the sort of thing you carry with you when out-&-about on a Friday night. (Not for school). Sounds like you've got yourself a nice, improvised, manriki chain. I'm quite familiar with those. But I'm not a big fan of flexible weapons. (Nothing wrong with them. Just a personal sort of thing).

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 00:44:05

hell, i figure is something is effective without too much mastery involved, and without too much danger of lethality, it's all good. as long as it's legal, that too.

NGMartial Arts Club Are you Man...

MUSIC | or a little, dying cosmic whore...

Speak with your actions, come from your core.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 00:54:44

At 3/5/06 12:38 AM, tom3rulz wrote: yeah, you should definitely read "rurouni kenshin" by nobuhiro watsuki, it is easily one of the best animes/mangas ever. its set in meiji japan, and is informative about it, while not shoving a history lesson down your throat. this manga is also what got me into liking sakabatos, or reverse bladed swords. give it a read, it's great. you *might* also like gto, but thats aon a different beat than most mangas, but thats what's good about it :0

It's a good story with great characters, but it's got disadvantages....much of the combat has nothing to do with reality........I personally like the OVAs alot better. They are just all around better........better visuals, action, drama, story, authenticity.....It's the real base that made me care about Kenshin. Without the backstory, there is nothing in Rurouni Kenshin. Overall, it's part of my anime journey, so it's special to me...it's just got it's flaws. :)

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 00:55:49

At 3/5/06 12:44 AM, tom3rulz wrote: hell, i figure is something is effective without too much mastery involved, and without too much danger of lethality, it's all good. as long as it's legal, that too.

thats just what i was thinking.. and ill check out those manga, might be a while before i get to a book store with some money, and if they even have it..

i know what you mean mono, they kinda of intimidate me (too many times swinging a jump rope or somthing around just to have it bounce back and hit me), but i figured as long as i have it, and ill be learning to use it effectivily soon enough, why not use it?

any of you guys watch a martial arts movie and laugh when they do something outrageous and stupid (like that scene in kill bill2 where they hit the swords edges together)?

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 00:56:09

At 3/5/06 12:44 AM, tom3rulz wrote: hell, i figure is something is effective without too much mastery involved, and without too much danger of lethality, it's all good. as long as it's legal, that too.

I agree with you. The problem is that flexible weapons generally require the most amount of time & effort to master.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:02:56

overkill on the mastery = bad

unrealism = good for entertainment, bad for trying to imitate, or think anyone could ever do it. much of kenshin is NOT based on reality, but at the same time much of it is. all of the main charcters in kenshin, kenshin, sanosuke, well, thats it, are based off of real people, and the time period and the representation of it is fairly accurate, but the combat tends to lean towards ridiculous. but watsuki makes it come across as beleivable, although nobody with an iq in double digits would beleive it. good manga/anime, and i draw a lot of inspiration from it. along with gto. does ANYONE know gto?? come on people, essential culture here. if no one knows then i will explain how it is bad not to know it.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:07:19

At 3/5/06 12:55 AM, Tsuchiya wrote:
any of you guys watch a martial arts movie and laugh when they do something outrageous and stupid (like that scene in kill bill2 where they hit the swords edges together)?

LOL ......... Remember the opening sequence to Kill Bill, the 1st one? The 2 of them are having a toe-to-toe knife-fight, and they're holding the knives out in front of their bodies! Knife-fight my ass; they were dancing with blades! ......... Then a few scenes later in the kitchen; one of them says, "We're going to settle this tonight, with a knife-fight......."
Gee, that sounds realistic! I get engraved invitations to knife-fights about once every 2 weeks, myself! .......... The film was just nice, escapist entertainment!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:25:07

can't beat a good escape from reality. nosiree, dont make your life better, run away from it and find it worse when you slink back! that's the american way. :P

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:34:35

At 3/5/06 01:25 AM, tom3rulz wrote: can't beat a good escape from reality. nosiree, dont make your life better, run away from it and find it worse when you slink back! that's the american way. :P

I thought lying, cheating and stabbing your friends in the back was the American way :P

.......... Always check your 6.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:37:00

those are the american way when all else (wanting and bitching) fails. the things i mentioned are for that other 25% of people that cannot face life and end up bringing this country down. god damn i sould elitist.... oh well, i AM elitist sometimes, nothing wrong with that as long as you provide vald arguements...

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:38:41

At 3/5/06 01:07 AM, Monocrom wrote:
At 3/5/06 12:55 AM, Tsuchiya wrote:
LOL ......... Remember the opening sequence to Kill Bill, the 1st one? The 2 of them are having a toe-to-toe knife-fight, and they're holding the knives out in front of their bodies! Knife-fight my ass; they were dancing with blades! ......... Then a few scenes later in the kitchen; one of them says, "We're going to settle this tonight, with a knife-fight......."
Gee, that sounds realistic! I get engraved invitations to knife-fights about once every 2 weeks, myself! .......... The film was just nice, escapist entertainment!

lol, ya thats the kind of stuff im talking about! i saw one movie where this guy rips off his short and then physically beats the hell out of someone twice his size, no special tricks just punches him to death, i was laughing the whole time, theres so many of those cheesy movies out there..

tom3: thats basic human nature to act that way..

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:38:59

hey mono, i just noticed that you posted the pepper spray canisters in the image gallery, way to go. you love your self defense, eh? :P

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:49:04

At 3/5/06 01:37 AM, tom3rulz wrote: those are the american way when all else (wanting and bitching) fails. the things i mentioned are for that other 25% of people that cannot face life and end up bringing this country down. god damn i sould elitist.... oh well, i AM elitist sometimes, nothing wrong with that as long as you provide vald arguements...

......... You forgot about suing people, even if you're at fault. Like the guy who sues you because he tried to mug you, and you ended up blowing out his knee with a side-kick. Now his lawyer wants you to pay his medical bills and a few extra million $$$ for your attacker's pain-&-suffering!

Or like that dumb-ass bitch who sued McDonald's because she put a hot-ass cup of coffee up against her crotch, floored the gas-pedal, and burned herself with THEIR coffee! ......... And she won her lawsuit! Now, everytime you buy a cup of coffee, you see that retarded warning on the cup, "Caution: contents are very hot." I wonder who's dumber; the lady who spilled the coffee on herself or the 12 idiots who actually awarded her the $$$!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:52:10

yeah, but the dumbest party of all is the american people that didn't riot when they heard about this injustice. even a big mccorporation like mcdonalds doesn't deserve that shit.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:53:21

At 3/5/06 01:38 AM, tom3rulz wrote: hey mono, i just noticed that you posted the pepper spray canisters in the image gallery, way to go. you love your self defense, eh? :P

I just think it's both funny & retarded as Hell to market pepperspray to women, by offering them in designer colors!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 01:55:54

At 3/5/06 01:53 AM, Monocrom wrote:
At 3/5/06 01:38 AM, tom3rulz wrote: hey mono, i just noticed that you posted the pepper spray canisters in the image gallery, way to go. you love your self defense, eh? :P
I just think it's both funny & retarded as Hell to market pepperspray to women, by offering them in designer colors!

yeah, but you gotta admit that someone will buy it, and someone will make a profit, and the world just MIGHT keep on turning god im tired... but i wont sleep for another 2 hours till 2 when my metal show ends...

*rambles some more*

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 02:02:36

At 3/5/06 01:52 AM, tom3rulz wrote: yeah, but the dumbest party of all is the american people that didn't riot when they heard about this injustice. even a big mccorporation like mcdonalds doesn't deserve that shit.

The lady who won was like over 80 years old. If I was McDonald's, I'd have my lawyers appeal the decision, and tie up the case in court.......... until that dumb-ass moron died of old age. Come on! Everyone with a brain knows she doesn't deserve a penny of that $$$!

As for the multi-color pepperspray holders.......... You're right! Some fashion-conscious snob of a woman will buy it; without any clue how to use it properly! (Here's a hint, you don't just stand there and spray it at your attacker). And, yes; I'm sure that website, and others like it, will make tons of $$$........ by offering fashionable self defense tools!

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 02:11:38

yeah, now all we need is pink, goochie, fuzzy yawara sticks and we'll be reeling in the dough :P

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 02:45:46

At 3/5/06 02:11 AM, tom3rulz wrote: yeah, now all we need is pink, goochie, fuzzy yawara sticks and we'll be reeling in the dough :P

Close.......... How about a Limited-edition, Hot-Pink mini-maglite from a U.K. website; considering they do make good, improvised, yawara sticks! :O

Martial Arts Club

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 02:48:08

At 3/5/06 02:45 AM, Monocrom wrote:
At 3/5/06 02:11 AM, tom3rulz wrote: yeah, now all we need is pink, goochie, fuzzy yawara sticks and we'll be reeling in the dough :P
Close.......... How about a Limited-edition, Hot-Pink mini-maglite from a U.K. website; considering they do make good, improvised, yawara sticks! :O

oh dear god.... *gets 9 mm. advil*

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 02:57:09

fuck, i totally forgot the pic, and it turns out to be 50 calibur, not 9 mm... whatever, funny

Martial Arts Club

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 03:05:26

At 3/5/06 02:57 AM, tom3rulz wrote: fuck, i totally forgot the pic, and it turns out to be 50 calibur, not 9 mm... whatever, funny

Yes it is......... It would also be the ultimate in self defense; if it wasn't too damn big to carry concealed! (I guess the old S&W model 36, and it's variations, will be carried for quite some time)..........

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 03:07:34

At 3/5/06 03:05 AM, Monocrom wrote:
Yes it is......... It would also be the ultimate in self defense; if it wasn't too damn big to carry concealed! (I guess the old S&W model 36, and it's variations, will be carried for quite some time)..........

i know so... like.... nothing about handguns *cowers in corner crying* :p

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 03:21:23

hey, well, ima duck out and go to bed now, because, well, the human fucking body makes me do it..... ill be able to post for like the duration of the day tomorrow, then im gone for a while while i try to reconcile my grades and become ungrounded again.... until tomorrow....

sleep well, for you may never wake.

BBS Signature

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 03:38:52

At 3/5/06 03:21 AM, tom3rulz wrote: hey, well, ima duck out and go to bed now, because, well, the human fucking body makes me do it.....

Sleep well, Tom......... BTW, an S&W model 36 is the classic small-frame, 5-shot, 2-inch barreled, .38 Special revolver. Several companies make variations of it. It's popular with cops & civilians alike. (And anyone else who realizes that sometimes, a firearm is needed to properly defend oneself). Since you never know when you might need it, this firearm is small enough to carry all-day, everyday. (Generally, it's best to carry it in a well-made holster, designed for concealment). It's more likely to be there when you need it than a more-powerful, and heavier firearm. Here's a small pic of the current version of this small, self defense tool.........

Martial Arts Club

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 13:13:16

im personally not to big a fan of guns. other people can use them to defend themselves if they like, but i guess guns kind of intimidate me, maybe since you cant really control the bullet after it leaves the barrel, shaky aim and could have a dead attacker (which would be pushing it to far defending oneself in like 75-90% situations i think), or it could ricochet and hit someone else, (unlikely, but a possibility). id would rather just use my hands to stop him, and maybe my key chain thing for a little bit, but if i go somewhere extra dangerous i might get a knife, or something like the things youve posted on the club before, but guns i try to shy away from..

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 14:29:10

hi my name is jpker and well i have busido shima gato and sreet fighting i'm a brawler i love to fight anyone in bushido let me what style and master kata

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 15:01:18

At 3/5/06 01:13 PM, Tsuchiya wrote: im personally not to big a fan of guns. other people can use them to defend themselves if they like, but i guess guns kind of intimidate me.

A lot of people are intimidated by guns. But there's a few key things to keep in mind:

1) Unlike the movies, most self defense situations where a defender uses a firearm typically take place at only 21 feet away or less. (And by less, 7 feet away is very common)! From those distances, you're pretty much guaranteed that the bullet will hit your attacker, once it leaves the barrel.

2) Shakey aim can be fixed with training & practice. (Guns like the S&W model 36 are a bit difficult to shoot well because of their small size and light weight. But even they can be mastered, with time & effort).

3) The intention is never to kill your attacker, but to stop him. If you're dealing with a particularly ruthless or demented attacker, HIS actions are why the firearm comes out of a defender's holster. Although you should never bluff with a gun, it's actually quite common for an attacker to stop; once he sees that his victim is armed and prepared to shoot. Sure, you might end up killing your attacker. But, you'd be legally, and in my opinion, morally justified in doing so! No one forced him to attack you. You never did anything to him to cause the attack, against you. He decided to keep trying to murder you, even after you took out your gun. HIS actions lead directly to HIS death.

4) There are different bullet types that you can use to reduce the likelyhood of a ricochet. One type was even specialy developed for use by Sky-Marshals onboard airplanes. It's also available to civilians. Although incredibly expensive, usually sold in packs of 6 instead of boxes of 50 rounds, they are guaranteed to NOT ricochet! The bullets are pre-fragmented. They're called Glaser Safety Slugs. Here's a short article that explains things a bit more==> http://mysite.elixir..=12665&page=1979

I can understand wanting to use your hands to stop an attacker, instead of a gun; or any other weapon at all. Unfortunately, your attacker decides how serious the situation is going to be. It's not like a tournament match with rules that you both agree on. (I wish it was! .......... Make my training a Hell of a lot easier).......... I understand that some people shy away from firearms. But it's important to keep in mind that a gun is just an inamimate object that can't hurt you without a person behind it. Let me put it this way, a .38 Special, with a bullet weighing 158 grains travels at about 890 feet per second......... An SUV can weigh over 2 tons (over 4000 pounds) and can be driven at over 70 miles per hour........... By themselves, both are harmless. Put a person in control of each, and BOTH are capable of doing some damage.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 15:09:18

Hm...well I do Shaolin kung fu, Im a blue belt and I know most forms, applications, etc. I also know how to use staff, and knives.

Response to Martial Arts Club 2006-03-05 15:29:11

jpker- bushido isnt an art, its a philosophy, and in your same sentence you completly went agaisnt that philosophy. dont try lying to us, we arnt as dumb as you.

the other guy- welcome! they teach shaolin at the school i go to, so i get to see it for bit, but i take ninjutsu, so im not in the kung fu too.

mono: i know what you mean about the gun-car analogy, most things are just tools, used for one thing or another..

maybe when im older though, ill get a gun, but as i am right now i dont think id feel a gun would be good for me. kinda of hard to explain, amybe when im older ill feel more comfortable with one.

legally and morally i might be justified, but i dont think id be able to live with my self too well if i knew i crippled/killed an attacker.