00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

UmanaJose just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AIM 2024 Discussions Thread

749 Views | 35 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 02:33:03

Hi everyone, this is the Discussions thread for the Art-Inspired Music Contest 2024! This is the place to ask questions, post comments, basically anything that isn't submissions-related. If you're looking to submit an entry, you'll want to use the submissions thread, which will be posted at the start of the submissions period.

THIS IS NOT THE START OF THE SUBMISSIONS PERIOD! Due to Newgrounds' forum system, both the submissions and the discussions thread cannot be created at the same time.

A link to the submissions thread will be added in a follow-up post once the contest officially starts, so stay tuned!

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 06:54:42

I'm assuming the inspiration art piece has to be a submission by a scouted artist, right? If so, then that's a real bummer. Recently, an art mod ๐Ÿฆƒ has been going on a de-scouting spree, considerably limiting the eligible art submission pool.

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 08:25:10

Great! I hope I don't flop again like last time...

At 4/19/24 06:54 AM, Czyszy wrote: I'm assuming the inspiration art piece has to be a submission by a scouted artist, right? If so, then that's a real bummer. Recently, an art mod ๐Ÿฆƒ has been going on a de-scouting spree, considerably limiting the eligible art submission pool.

From the rules newspost FAQ section:

The art inspiration can be something that was published before the submissions period or it can be from within the submissions period. Likewise, the artist for the art inspiration does not need to be scouted, only the participant submitting an entry.

So you aren't restricted to scouted artists only.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 08:49:30

Question:

Are we allowed to use fanart in our submissions? I think it might make the playing field a little uneven due to the fact that thereโ€™s a larger context that people already know, and the song can therefore basically be about the fandom/character rather than the artwork.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 08:57:15

At 4/19/24 08:37 AM, AED-4 wrote:
At 4/19/24 06:54 AM, Czyszy wrote: I'm assuming the inspiration art piece has to be a submission by a scouted artist, right? If so, then that's a real bummer. Recently, an art mod ๐Ÿฆƒ has been going on a de-scouting spree, considerably limiting the eligible art submission pool.
From the rules newspost FAQ section:

So you aren't restricted to scouted artists only.

Awesome ๐Ÿ‘

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 10:19:09

At 4/19/24 08:49 AM, Thetageist wrote: Question:
Are we allowed to use fanart in our submissions? I think it might make the playing field a little uneven due to the fact that thereโ€™s a larger context that people already know, and the song can therefore basically be about the fandom/character rather than the artwork.

Your art inspiration can be fanart, but your entry cannot remix or incorporate already existing musical themes if they are associated with the media that the fanart comes from. In my experience, fanart has never really given people an advantage over non-fanart pieces. They might help to contextualize the general musical style if you're familiar with the base media but I don't think that inherently makes them score better in the compo.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 10:48:49

At 4/19/24 08:49 AM, Thetageist wrote: Question:

Hey Thetageist, good question. Looking through the rules, I don't see anything that says you can't.

As for fan art giving participants a competitive edge, I only see that really being an issue with the fan voting part of the competition. When we judge the pieces, we will be impartial as to who made it, and if it has any references in it or whatever fandom it comes from. However, the fan voters may not be the same, so that might be something to look into.

Each submission will be judged using 4 categories (these categories can be found in the Submissions Thread). A quarter of the points awarded come from relevance to the art. There will be many songs inspired by fan art from fandoms that I've never even heard about, so while judging, I will be looking at the relevance to the artwork presented. So far, there are only 4 (wonderful) judges, so the odds of at least one of us not knowing the reference or fandom is pretty high.

So long as you don't violate any copyright issues that may come from incorporating already-established musical themes within the fandom, you're all good. Because, of copyright and stuff lol.

Choosing fan art instead of original art may help a little with the creation of the piece since you have a sort of musical reference depending on what the fandom is. But I don't think it would make too much of a difference. Plus, banning fan art would block out a large portion of the audio portal.

But as I said earlier, I don't see anything against using fan art as inspiration so long as your submission follows all the audio portal rules as well as the ones of this competition. If the art inspires you, go for it! (unless its rated A lol)

If you read this, you get a virtual cookie

BBS Signature

At 4/19/24 02:33 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Hi everyone, this is the Discussions thread for the Art-Inspired Music Contest 2024! This is the place to ask questions, post comments, basically anything that isn't submissions-related. If you're looking to submit an entry, you'll want to use the submissions thread, which will be posted at the start of the submissions period.

THIS IS NOT THE START OF THE SUBMISSIONS PERIOD! Due to Newgrounds' forum system, both the submissions and the discussions thread cannot be created at the same time.

A link to the submissions thread will be added in a follow-up post once the contest officially starts, so stay tuned!

can i post my music i made for the contest on youtube, or should I wait until the end of AIM?

Also stupid question, but do I own the song I made for the contest or I give it away? Because it says that winners will be included in an album and I'm not sure how that works.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 16:18:54

I don't necessarily want to do so but its nowhere in the rules: can someone use their own art as inspo?

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 20:53:19

You can work with anyone, whether it be a singer, producer, etc. Bands are allowed, too! If they have an NG account, tag them in the project system, or if not, credit them in the description of your song(s). Keep in mind, only one person gets the prize (unless it can be split equally).

Hmmm... I'm friends with an artist on NG who submits their art AND music. I'm thinking of using one of their drawings for inspiration and also have them add some musical content to my submission as a collaborator. Is it ok to collab on my entry with the person who created the inspiration artwork?

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 20:56:42

(I thought I'd clarify in this thread that the submissions period has started. I forgot to post the link in here last night.)

Submissions thread: https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1534207

Rules and Other Info: https://random-storykeeper.newgrounds.com/news/post/1437936

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 21:11:07

At 4/19/24 12:59 PM, DumbOctopus wrote:
At 4/19/24 02:33 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: Hi everyone, this is the Discussions thread for the Art-Inspired Music Contest 2024! This is the place to ask questions, post comments, basically anything that isn't submissions-related. If you're looking to submit an entry, you'll want to use the submissions thread, which will be posted at the start of the submissions period.

can i post my music i made for the contest on youtube, or should I wait until the end of AIM?
Also stupid question, but do I own the song I made for the contest or I give it away? Because it says that winners will be included in an album and I'm not sure how that works.

These are not dumb questions at all! Yes, you own your song and can post it on your YouTube if you want. It's just that if it wins, it will be included in the AIM 2024 Compilation Album on the Art-Inspired Music Contest Bandcamp. The album is a free download and listeners will not be allowed to download individual tracks from there, only the whole album.

You don't need to wait until the end of the contest to post your music for this contest elsewhere. Just ensure that you have permission from the artists if you want to use their work to promote your music, e.g. as visuals on YouTube, etc.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 21:17:24

At 4/19/24 04:18 PM, Emerald4-CE wrote: I don't necessarily want to do so but its nowhere in the rules: can someone use their own art as inspo?

Using your own art as an inspiration is highly discouraged. The point of this compo is to be musically inspired by other peoples' work in the Newgrounds Art Portal. If done, it will be heavily frowned upon (and possibly factor into evaluations from judges and the Fan Vote).

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 21:19:06

At 4/19/24 08:53 PM, Czyszy wrote:
Hmmm... I'm friends with an artist on NG who submits their art AND music. I'm thinking of using one of their drawings for inspiration and also have them add some musical content to my submission as a collaborator. Is it ok to collab on my entry with the person who created the inspiration artwork?

Yes, I will allow this. Just make sure to properly credit your collaborators.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 21:23:01

At 4/19/24 12:59 PM, DumbOctopus wrote:

Hello! So looking through the rules, I don't see anything saying you can't. But outside the rules, I don't think it would be too big of a problem. Since it's your own song, you can do whatever with it, so long as what you do doesn't violate the submission eligibility of it. We won't be judging off the YouTube upload, so you're probably free to do whatever with that.

No, I don't think you lose rights to your song by participating. That would be awful, haha. I think the Bandlab album prize is more of a playlist than a published album. Like being added to the Hall of Fame for people to listen to as the years go on. So yeah, the song you use to participate is still yours :).

If you read this, you get a virtual cookie

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-19 22:12:54

Well, I blew a hole in my voice box and thyroid and have been on strict vocal rest for two weeks, but that doesn't mean I'll be able to sing soon. Since I can't sing I have some time to work on my own music... But not the vocals of course >.>

Might be able to bang something out for this if I can actually find a picture that speaks to me. Time constraints and lack of inspiration kept me out of this comp last year, but man do I like this one.

I thought this was for users of AOL Instant Messenger in the year 2024

No pods, no casters

Question,

I know it's not allowed to use pre- recorded lyrics with vocals from vocal packs, but can I use the lyrics only from such pack I purchased and is royalty free and liscened to me, and type those lyrics in a vocaloid like Miku along with my original composition and have Miku sing those lyrics? Also I'm just using the lyrics only, the vocals arrangement will be all original. I'm just asking because the lyrics fit the art that inspired me so perfectly ๐Ÿ˜

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-20 00:48:17

At 4/20/24 12:21 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote: Question,
I know it's not allowed to use pre- recorded lyrics with vocals from vocal packs, but can I use the lyrics only from such pack I purchased and is royalty free and liscened to me, and type those lyrics in a vocaloid like Miku along with my original composition and have Miku sing those lyrics? Also I'm just using the lyrics only, the vocals arrangement will be all original. I'm just asking because the lyrics fit the art that inspired me so perfectly ๐Ÿ˜

It's a grey area, as I don't think anyone's asked me about this particular scenario. For now, I will allow it as long as:

1. You properly credit your lyric source in the Author Comments and you have the right to use the lyrics.
  2. The composition of the music for the lyrics is your own original work.
  3. Your use of the lyrics is within Newgrounds Audio Portal guidelines.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-20 07:32:10

At 4/20/24 12:48 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 4/20/24 12:21 AM, DigitalProdigy wrote: Question,
It's a grey area, as I don't think anyone's asked me about this particular scenario. For now, I will allow it as long as:

Awesome ๐Ÿ˜Ž ๐Ÿ‘

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-20 11:15:10

I won't be participating since I'm not a musician but I usually make art while listening to specific songs to help boost my creativity but making music based on the art? Interesting. :)

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-20 23:55:56

At 4/20/24 11:15 AM, Kyxlect wrote:
I won't be participating since I'm not a musiciabut I I usually make art while listening to specific songs to help boost my creativity but making music based on the art? Interesting. :)

Same here, cheering from the sidelines! I would love to make art from a song that was inspired by art. Can't wait to hear all the entries!

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-21 01:57:16

I may participate this year! I haven't been a part of this contest in a long time, so this could be interesting. I just have to find some art that will inspire me!

Heya. I do not consider myself a musician, but I do have a friend that is a musician. This sounds a little silly, but can I make the piece of art during the submission period and can my friend make a song from that piece?

If this is allowed, I am assuming that the music can only be made after the final product is finished. Or could it be a collaborative effort through and through?

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-21 22:20:55

At 4/21/24 08:50 PM, TheYoloBOT9000 wrote: Heya. I do not consider myself a musician, but I do have a friend that is a musician. This sounds a little silly, but can I make the piece of art during the submission period and can my friend make a song from that piece?

If this is allowed, I am assuming that the music can only be made after the final product is finished. Or could it be a collaborative effort through and through?

I feel like if the artist and musician collaborated on the art, it would defeat the point of the contest. The intention is not for artists and musicians to collaborate with each other on both mediums, but rather musicians to be inspired to make music based on an already existing piece of art that presumably, will not be changed.

I did allow someone here earlier to collaborate with an artist doubling as a musician, so for your case, the art must already be uploaded/finalized to the Art Portal before the musician and you start working on the music. I'll think about this some more for future compos - I can't guarantee this will always be allowed.

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-21 22:23:48

At 4/19/24 09:19 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:

@Czyszy Just wanted to clarify this a little further as a similar question was just asked in this thread. You and the artist may collaborate on the music once the art is submitted to the Art Portal, but you should not collaborate with each other on the art. It sounds like, from your question, you were only going to work with each other on the music, but I thought I'd make that more specific here.

At 4/21/24 10:23 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 4/19/24 09:19 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
@Czyszy Just wanted to clarify this a little further as a similar question was just asked in this thread. You and the artist may collaborate on the music once the art is submitted to the Art Portal, but you should not collaborate with each other on the art. It sounds like, from your question, you were only going to work with each other on the music, but I thought I'd make that more specific here.

Thank you. That actually leads me to another question!

There's an art piece in the art portal made by a friend of mine, inspired by an earlier piece drawn by me. I didn't publish that drawing, and I didn't ask the artist to make their interpretation of it, only shared it for fun (in a private conversation). I was actually surprised when I saw they make a fanart based on my work! :D But now the thing is, the NG submission of that re-draw/re-interpretation also includes my original piece the artist friend used for inspiration in the description, for context.

So if I were to use that for AIM, would the fact my drawing is not only the inspiration for that piece, but also visible on the art page, disqualify it?

BBS Signature

Response to AIM 2024 Discussions Thread 2024-04-21 23:30:50

At 4/21/24 10:20 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote:
At 4/21/24 08:50 PM, TheYoloBOT9000 wrote: Heya. I do not consider myself a musician, but I do have a friend that is a musician. This sounds a little silly, but can I make the piece of art during the submission period and can my friend make a song from that piece?

I feel like if the artist and musician collaborated on the art, it would defeat the point of the contest. The intention is not for artists and musicians to collaborate with each other on both mediums, but rather musicians to be inspired to make music based on an already existing piece of art that presumably, will not be changed.

I did allow someone here earlier to collaborate with an artist doubling as a musician, so for your case, the art must already be uploaded/finalized to the Art Portal before the musician and you start working on the music. I'll think about this some more for future compos - I can't guarantee this will always be allowed.

Thank you very much. I will keep that in mind.

Ooh nice! Iโ€™ve always wanted to participate in this one. Looks like I finally have an excuse to write some music in 2024!

Nothing More rulez d00d!

BBS Signature