00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GhostiePlus just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

AS2 trying to use buttons within movie clips

79 Views | 4 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I'm new to Actionscript 2 and trying to get buttons that are nested within a movie clip to work. There's like some special formatting to get it to work, no?

I forgot where I first saw it, but I figure it'll stop some headaches.

Response to AS2 trying to use buttons within movie clips 2024-04-17 05:31:26

At 4/16/24 08:45 PM, RagingStreetTaco wrote: I'm new to Actionscript 2 and trying to get buttons that are nested within a movie clip to work. There's like some special formatting to get it to work, no?

Whether or not they require anything special depends on what you're trying to do, and what you define "special" to be. I would say there's nothing special required when putting buttons in movieclips, but there's ways to make things harder for yourself and thus require some measures that would probably be considered special.

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to AS2 trying to use buttons within movie clips 2024-04-17 12:43:08

At 4/16/24 08:45 PM, RagingStreetTaco wrote: I'm new to Actionscript 2 and trying to get buttons that are nested within a movie clip to work. There's like some special formatting to get it to work, no?

why do you need to make buttons inside MovieClip, even if you want, just write button_name.onRelease = function () { code; }; inside the MovieClip in which there is a button, I’m sorry to see you, new to as2, got over it, don’t get involved in this programming language, learn haxe, well, if you really like flash in general, then as3 Adobe AIR, forget about ruffle, as3 works very well with ruffle , even C++ works well at some points, right now I have a lua compiler written in fash and which works with version 5 of lua, and even though I still make money on as2, I’m not very happy about it, I do it more for the sake of Some people have been working on some games for over 8 years!

Response to AS2 trying to use buttons within movie clips 2024-04-17 16:27:22

At 4/17/24 12:43 PM, mtv129 wrote: why do you need to make buttons inside MovieClip, even if you want, just write button_name.onRelease = function () { code; }; inside the MovieClip in which there is a button, I’m sorry to see you, new to as2, got over it, don’t get involved in this programming language, learn haxe, well, if you really like flash in general, then as3 Adobe AIR, forget about ruffle, as3 works very well with ruffle , even C++ works well at some points, right now I have a lua compiler written in fash and which works with version 5 of lua, and even though I still make money on as2, I’m not very happy about it, I do it more for the sake of Some people have been working on some games for over 8 years!

Sorry, but your post was a bit hard to follow at first. You wouldn't happen to be an ESL, would you?

I'm doing it because a menu transition requires the buttons to move along with an asset or else it would look ugly and be frustrating to change. Thanks for your advice though.

I managed to get it to work by adding the action directly to the button rather than a frame. Works just how I needed it to.

I'm just using this language because I always wanted to make flash stuff and some kind fellow gave me a bunch of AS2 books to play around with. I'm mainly an animator but the interactivity of Flash always fascinated me.

Response to AS2 trying to use buttons within movie clips 2024-04-18 00:50:58

At 4/17/24 04:27 PM, RagingStreetTaco wrote:
At 4/17/24 12:43 PM, mtv129 wrote: why do you need to make buttons inside MovieClip, even if you want, just write button_name.onRelease = function () { code; }; inside the MovieClip in which there is a button, I’m sorry to see you, new to as2, got over it, don’t get involved in this programming language, learn haxe, well, if you really like flash in general, then as3 Adobe AIR, forget about ruffle, as3 works very well with ruffle , even C++ works well at some points, right now I have a lua compiler written in fash and which works with version 5 of lua, and even though I still make money on as2, I’m not very happy about it, I do it more for the sake of Some people have been working on some games for over 8 years!
Sorry, but your post was a bit hard to follow at first. You wouldn't happen to be an ESL, would you?
I'm doing it because a menu transition requires the buttons to move along with an asset or else it would look ugly and be frustrating to change. Thanks for your advice though.
I managed to get it to work by adding the action directly to the button rather than a frame. Works just how I needed it to.
I'm just using this language because I always wanted to make flash stuff and some kind fellow gave me a bunch of AS2 books to play around with. I'm mainly an animator but the interactivity of Flash always fascinated me.

You can make flash material using Aсtion Script 3 or Haxе, all people, after 3 months of working with Action Script 3, are already starting to hate Action Script 2, only Tom Full is an exception