00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

LeDeter just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Have you ever tried learning a second art style?

473 Views | 32 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Due to a story reason in my future VN, I'm trying to learn a "uncomfortable" art style

It's very much rough right now and I still need to figure what exact shapes I want to use and in which way

I want to make it look different from my regular style, but still recognizable that it's mine

iu_1188350_8710555.webp

for reference, this is how m regular style looks

iu_1188351_8710555.webp

NEANIGHT DEMO

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 11:43:34

people learn art styles? honestly I feeellll like this is overthinking things

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 11:50:08

At 4/12/24 11:43 AM, Oddlem wrote: people learn art styles? honestly I feeellll like this is overthinking things

Overthinking? How do you mean?

NEANIGHT DEMO

BBS Signature

Learning different (pre-existing) styles is kinda required for industry work - they call it Style Matching.

iu_1188361_8048042.webp

Style is just informed simplification, so if you know how to draw something without style, it's relatively easy to pick apart how other people simplify it, or come up with new ways on your own.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 12:07:57

Nope, I'm more focused on improving my fundamentals and treating the style of my art like improv. I rarely use the same brushes or same colors or same media when I do a piece. I'll eventually have to do it for future projects.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 12:10:53

At 4/12/24 11:50 AM, VanVeleca wrote:
At 4/12/24 11:43 AM, Oddlem wrote: people learn art styles? honestly I feeellll like this is overthinking things
Overthinking? How do you mean?

actually I think skoops just taught me something, people do study styles heheh

I don't think I know as much as I thought about this so I'm gonna let the others give input

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Yeah kinda

Moreso shitty one off's for a joke and useally miss the mark

like uhh

bluey with tetanus

Not sure if this counts but as a side effect of learning fundies and tryna draw/paint stuff as-is so I got some kind of copium semi realism style cuz I can't do proper photorealism. Tho I've always liked the classical-inspired? chink styles like Huang Guangjian so plan to develop it into something like that.

iu_1188409_17487051.jpg

iu_1188410_17487051.webp

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 15:05:46

I technically already have with my two art styles, aka cartoon & semi-realistic. It's also a good drawing exercise to try and draw in a different style. If you're having trouble try doing one of those style challenge drawing were you draw the same character in different styles. You can also try and do master studies on horror artists to learn how to make something look uncomfortable.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 15:08:53

I started off exclusively doing pixel art back in the day, so I guess my current work IS my second art style.

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-12 17:40:42

At 4/12/24 11:40 AM, VanVeleca wrote: Due to a story reason in my future VN, I'm trying to learn a "uncomfortable" art style
It's very much rough right now and I still need to figure what exact shapes I want to use and in which way
I want to make it look different from my regular style, but still recognizable that it's mine

For me I started drawing some of my characters in the art style scene in Rick and Morty due to the art style being more simpler to animate with.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-16 22:26:03

I feel that incorporating more than one artstyle to your art helps you become a more well rounded artist. It seems to help me with thinking around corners. switching to one artstyle strangely enough helps improve my other ones.

to help with this, i sometimes try to think in that artstyle for a period of time. Sometimes reading books and imagining the characters a certain way helps train my brain on how a certain artstyle would move or exist in a certain way.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 04:33:59

I don’t really have a consistent artstyle (my characters always have very specific artstyles) I mostly adapt from other people artstyle but yeah, it is always good to have multiple ones

(You can tell me if I’m doing this the wrong way tho)

iu_1190656_9674808.png

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 05:12:41

Yes because i have written a 3 story. Each of it have a different art style

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 05:25:28

At 4/17/24 05:12 AM, Waterina wrote: Yes because i have written a 3 story. Each of it have a different art style

Please ignore the post until I manage to get it deleted then, thank you

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 05:25:36

At 4/12/24 11:40 AM, VanVeleca wrote: Due to a story reason in my future VN, I'm trying to learn a "uncomfortable" art style

It depends heavily on what or who am I drawing and my own mood, if I'm drawing a real, existing person I try to keep my "style" but adding in some of their most prominent features. It usually ends up like a caricature instead of a portrait but I use a very simple "this shape is this" kind of style. I guess it changes with time, practice and of course, purpose. As many said here, it's never the same if you work on different subjects. If I started out a new project now I'd probably use another style, different from my current.

All the problems, make me wanna go, like a bad girl, straight to video, little darling, welcome to the show, I'M a failure played in stereo...

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 05:29:41

At 4/17/24 05:25 AM, EPSco wrote:
At 4/17/24 05:12 AM, Waterina wrote: Yes because i have written a 3 story. Each of it have a different art style

What?

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 05:31:53

At 4/17/24 05:29 AM, Waterina wrote:
At 4/17/24 05:25 AM, EPSco wrote:
What?

You said that I made a mistake when writing the post so I will try to get it deleted. I would maybe try to make another one if I succeed at doing so but I am still hesitating.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 05:55:05

Still trying to figure out my main style with varying degrees of success...

I'd love to learn how to draw in various styles first, but gotta take baby steps first.

Ponies, animation and sluggishly learning how to draw.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 06:04:26

Ngl I just be doing shit my style changes depending on the mood 🧌

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 11:43:31

i don't have enough braincells for that, i haven't even mastered the first style

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 12:01:45

whenever I try learning a different art style, I just end up abandoning it and ripping elements from it and chucking it into my regular art style.

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 12:03:09

Prose poetry is pretty fun

just take whatever you are doing and make it epic

hello

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 12:51:25

I wanted to try doing Smash inspired OC paintings for a bit. I got my main OC done but never finished the second one. I do sorta wanna come back to it but it might be hard to continue the second since my understanding of lighting went up enough that i would probably redo a lot of it. (Plus also recording speedpaints made it harder since i was worried people would think it was AI lmao)iu_1190796_7495171.webp

iu_1190797_7495171.webp

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 13:00:46

At 4/17/24 11:43 AM, beanvamp wrote: i don't have enough braincells for that, i haven't even mastered the first style

For an art style that isn't even completely mastered, it looks fantastic !!

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 13:06:19

Not really at the moment?, but one of my goals in art is to have two main styles, one thats more anime-cartoonish looking (Which it's the current one i'm working to improve), and the another one going for something more serious or semi-realistic look.

But yeah, right now i'm focusing on polishing my main style, and as some people said before in this topic, I think it's good to try and learn different styles 🙂.

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 13:26:35

At one point I tried to learn to draw in a more standard generic furry art style, in an attempt to be more marketable for commissions.

iu_1190811_10233895.webp

I guess I learned a few things from it, but it was too boring for me to stick with.

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 13:29:58

oh have I learned a second art style? hahahahaha

i've been learning all kinds of deviating art styles for the last 5 years, skullgirls, sonic, lots of different fighting game art styles, pizza tower, and magazine print.

I've made so much over the last half a decade.

Best regards

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 14:57:11

At 4/17/24 01:00 PM, EPSco wrote:
At 4/17/24 11:43 AM, beanvamp wrote: i don't have enough braincells for that, i haven't even mastered the first style
For an art style that isn't even completely mastered, it looks fantastic !!

thanks <3

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Have you ever tried learning a second art style? 2024-04-17 15:01:20

Actively doing so rn

It is not going well