00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Feenixs just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Bad sources of "motivation"

271 Views | 21 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I find im the most productive in terms of shitting out drawings when im in a poor state of mind.

Not so much that I can focus better than usual, moreso its the only thing that I can focus on easily.

It provides a false sense of accomplishment, and a distraction. Also prevents me from talking too much in this kind of state.

Curious if this is common

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 06:37:25

yes

A distant engine of hate is stirring....

Illustration | Animation

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 08:39:39

Sure

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 11:18:07

using art as a coping mechanism?

this signature belongs to an idiot who doesn’t even know how much of an idiot he is, i’m surprised he’s even capable of turning on a computer...what an absolute buffoon

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 11:36:42

At 4/7/24 06:08 AM, Dr-Freebase wrote: I find im the most productive in terms of shitting out drawings when im in a poor state of mind.

Not so much that I can focus better than usual, moreso its the only thing that I can focus on easily.

It provides a false sense of accomplishment, and a distraction. Also prevents me from talking too much in this kind of state.

Horrible tactic, it's like sending a fatigued, down on morale squad on an "easy mission", it doesn't matter if they get it "done" they'll lose even more morale because they're tired. And same applies to artists, I can draw something beautiful when Im tired but I hate it *because it tired me* but when I'm jolly, well, just look at my gallery. Is full of shit but it's shit I enjoyed doing

All the problems, make me wanna go, like a bad girl, straight to video, little darling, welcome to the show, I'M a failure played in stereo...

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 11:38:45

At 4/7/24 11:18 AM, beanvamp wrote: using art as a coping mechanism?

Depends what you're coping on, my OC was co created with a friend as a mockery of me and it evolved into a mockery of whiny people, E-Girls, geek culture or just my mouthpiece. iu_1186088_21355099.webp

All the problems, make me wanna go, like a bad girl, straight to video, little darling, welcome to the show, I'M a failure played in stereo...

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 13:53:21

At 4/7/24 06:08 AM, Dr-Freebase wrote: I find im the most productive in terms of shitting out drawings when im in a poor state of mind.

Its not a false sense of accomplishment if you accomplish something. I know that art is a great tool for my mental health because when im creating something its at least something in my life i can control. Idk if thats how anyone else sees it but sometimes when the darkness and negativity in my mind is REALLY loud, making art as a "distraction" is a lifesaver.

No fear. No pain.

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 16:25:04

At 4/7/24 01:53 PM, Awd91 wrote:

Its not a false sense of accomplishment if you accomplish something. I know that art is a great tool for my mental health because when im creating something its at least something in my life i can control. Idk if thats how anyone else sees it but sometimes when the darkness and negativity in my mind is REALLY loud, making art as a "distraction" is a lifesaver.

I gotta agree 50-50 with you there. Health ALWAYS comes first, art can be finished and the sense of accomplishment can be felt any time but they're best felt when you're well rested and mentally undisturbed, you know? But I do agree that creating is something beautiful and it kinda gives me a purpose, even when I'm raging at my shitty drawings I walk out and play the accordion on the street or just take pics at parks. Creativity!

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 16:44:00

I use energy drinks

Froggo is always watching.

I'm going to shit your pants

[Pronouns are they/them btw]

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 16:44:31

At 4/7/24 04:25 PM, Mazooe wrote:

I gotta agree 50-50 with you there. Health ALWAYS comes first, art can be finished and the sense of accomplishment can be felt any time but they're best felt when you're well rested and mentally undisturbed, you know? But I do agree that creating is something beautiful and it kinda gives me a purpose, even when I'm raging at my shitty drawings I walk out and play the accordion on the street or just take pics at parks. Creativity!

Yes sorry if that wasnt clear, art comes first after all human needs are met. :)

No fear. No pain.

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 16:45:54

At 4/7/24 04:44 PM, Awd91 wrote:
At 4/7/24 04:25 PM, Mazooe wrote:

Yes sorry if that wasnt clear, art comes first after all human needs are met. :)

Puny human >:0 But yeah, good health changes your overall perception of art (yours and general) trust me, I learned it the hard way.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 17:23:05

At 4/7/24 04:44 PM, PudgieDaFrog wrote: I use energy drinks

Only problem is that if you drink sugar free ones they can damage your kidneys due to the artifical sweeteners passing unchanged into your blood and out your urine, kidney/bladder stones arent fun.

Could also be the large amount of supplemental animo bullshit they add im not a doccy idk

Best switch to black coffee or tea, doesnt taste as good but you wont degrade as much.

Sugar also fucks with energy levels and metabolism, unless your doing an extreme amount of physical activity the best way to have energy is to intermittently fast or to take amphetamines.

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 17:37:50

At 4/7/24 05:23 PM, Dr-Freebase wrote:
Only problem is that if you drink sugar free ones they can damage your kidneys due to the artifical sweeteners passing unchanged into your blood and out your urine, kidney/bladder stones arent fun.

Could also be the large amount of supplemental animo bullshit they add im not a doccy idk

Best switch to black coffee or tea, doesnt taste as good but you wont degrade as much.

Sugar also fucks with energy levels and metabolism, unless your doing an extreme amount of physical activity the best way to have energy is to intermittently fast or to take amphetamines.

I drink sugar-free Monster. It's one of the few ways I get vitamins but, I don't really care about all the kidney stuff. It's better than if I was just chugging soda, I guess. I just chose the sugar-free ones since they have fewer calories than a regular can that has over 100 calories. The stuff I don't touch unless I really need a boost is NOS because that stuff tastes like apple battery acid. Oh and those C4 drinks. That stuff is TERRIBLE. I definitely don't drink monster as much as I used to though.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 17:55:44

At 4/7/24 05:37 PM, PudgieDaFrog wrote:

I drink sugar-free Monster. It's one of the few ways I get vitamins but, I don't really care about all the kidney stuff. It's better than if I was just chugging soda, I guess. I just chose the sugar-free ones since they have fewer calories than a regular can that has over 100 calories. The stuff I don't touch unless I really need a boost is NOS because that stuff tastes like apple battery acid. Oh and those C4 drinks. That stuff is TERRIBLE. I definitely don't drink monster as much as I used to though.

Ehh sugar free energy drinks are just fortified sugar free soda not really getting outta that one easily.

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 18:05:12

At 4/7/24 05:55 PM, Dr-Freebase wrote:

Ehh sugar free energy drinks are just fortified sugar free soda not really getting outta that one easily.

I just mean that everything is overly processed nowadays anyway. So, I'd rather indulge and worry about it later. It's not a healthy way to live but, eh. I do try to balance it out when I can though. The main reason I can't stand soda though is because of that super gross film it leaves in the mouth. Same reason I can't eat that garbage fake maple syrup anymore either. It's corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and food colouring. It's like if I'm gonna be unhealthy, at least have it taste good, you know? I do drink a lot of tea though. It's a knock-off Lipton tea from Aldi.

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-07 18:28:00

At 4/7/24 06:05 PM, PudgieDaFrog wrote:
At 4/7/24 05:55 PM, Dr-Freebase wrote:

I just mean that everything is overly processed nowadays anyway. So, I'd rather indulge and worry about it later. It's not a healthy way to live but, eh. I do try to balance it out when I can though. The main reason I can't stand soda though is because of that super gross film it leaves in the mouth. Same reason I can't eat that garbage fake maple syrup anymore either. It's corn syrup, high fructose corn syrup, and food colouring. It's like if I'm gonna be unhealthy, at least have it taste good, you know? I do drink a lot of tea though. It's a knock-off Lipton tea from Aldi.

It is pretty funny that im giving you health advice, maybe just to me because im the only one with full context

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-10 08:22:19

I can feel the same sometimes. And lately I just force myself to sit down and draw, no matter how bad I feel. And, surprisingly, it turns out quite well. In short, for me it’s better to do at least something than nothing.

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-10 08:44:26

Deadlines, probably

hello

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-10 09:01:16

Not with art but writing for me, I find that I'm at my most creative after watching a show or reading a comic where the writing is so bad that I just start rewriting the story while trying to keep as much of the story's original concepts intact. It's a "bad" source imo because it makes it harder for me to come up with a completely original story. I'm just writing "some other story but with what I think are improvements" lol

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-10 09:19:13

Nah

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-10 09:42:29

To quote george carlin: "Motivation is bullshit."

This may sound very counter-productive, but don't go looking for motivation just so you can do art. You really gotta buckle down and just ignore that urge to give up. It's hard, I fully understand your frustration, but I learned the hard way that you can't win by seeking motivation. Just gotta do it. Now, this doesn't mean mindless grinding. If you can get out 10 minutes of true practice, you did much better than searching for an hour trying to find motivation.

Response to Bad sources of "motivation" 2024-04-10 11:03:02

At 4/10/24 09:42 AM, xeiavica wrote: To quote george carlin: "Motivation is bullshit."

This may sound very counter-productive, but don't go looking for motivation just so you can do art. You really gotta buckle down and just ignore that urge to give up. It's hard, I fully understand your frustration, but I learned the hard way that you can't win by seeking motivation. Just gotta do it. Now, this doesn't mean mindless grinding. If you can get out 10 minutes of true practice, you did much better than searching for an hour trying to find motivation.

No so much about needing or finding "motivation", moreso being unable to do anything else