00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chineeztac0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Whats keeps you motivated to keep working on your art

313 Views | 20 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

When your working on art for a couple of hours what's makes you stay motivated, music taking a short break (hopefully coming back to it later) looking at somebody else art or what. What do u guys do to stay invested in your own craft so you can finish it.

iu_1174891_9076919.png

All toasts toast toast

The various joys inherent in illustration, and the reward of satisfaction upon completion of a project.

Failing that, money.

Typically the sense of accomplishment that comes from finishing an artpiece keeps me going. I also tend to listen to music, a podcast, or streams/videos of people playing games to have background noise during the drawing process.

I just have one braincell and that braincell really likes coloring. Luckily that's the last step, so that's some good motivation!! Doing any other step makes me excited thinking about how I wanna tackle the coloring part

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

drawing is fun nothing more nothing less

I usually listen to music when I draw, and that helps speed up the process and keep me motivated.

Other than that, I just find drawing very fun.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

idk

BBS Signature

Gradual artistic growth I guess

BBS Signature

I find that the thought of needing motivation can be kind of a distraction in and of itself, since most habits are formed and repeated without the ongoing need for a source of inspiration or incentive - you just keep doing it. Momentum is its own driving force. The question becomes more about how to get up to that level of momentum where it's harder to stop than it is to keep going.

For that, I don't want to just say "have discipline" but it really is just preparing yourself to work when you might not really want to. Have a schedule and a minimum output per day or per week. Maybe give yourself a little treat if you meet the goal you set for yourself, as long as that goal has you working consistently and frequently. You'll gradually feel less and less like you're forcing yourself, you won't feel stuck or dread getting started because you've built up momentum. You'll have experience with getting your hands moving even when there's nothing really inspiring you in the moment, and at that point, all you have to do is maintain momentum - way less effort than building it up and letting it fizzle out over and over.

I always use a gym metaphor: if you need to feel great about going, you never will. You'll see something like a movie with a workout montage that inspires you to go once or twice, but you'll get sore the next day and let that dissuade you from going back regularly. But if you work through the pain, your body and mind adapt once you make a habit of it: you stop dreading it so much and you get less sore afterwards, even while you start upping the difficulty on your rotations. It's all momentum.

At the moment: a collab deadline.

None.

My one true motivation.

iu_1175082_1202134.webp

oops i think the motivation failed.

sorry collab host but i just don't want to work on this.

Besides having a handful of songs that will pretty much always keep me motivated like some kind of magic, what'll really keep me going (even on the worst days) are sending/showing sketches and WIPs to my group of IRL friends! We'll always talk about stuff as simple as if they like how it's coming along or not, all the way to advice on how to improve/etc. 99% of the time it's in our shared group-chat.

Usually when a friend tells me how much they enjoy my art and how they can't wait to see it done, that'll always keep me going. I'm also in a few discord servers where people all over share their art from all different styles/ranges/levels, and it can be pretty inspiring to see so many people inspiring and helping each other out. When all is said and done, as long as I can be reminded that drawings of mine, no matter how imperfect, can make at least one person smile or want to keep drawing for themselves, I'll keep drawing for days.

"Gay and Sad but still So Rad™ "

- Allison (kunaigirl) 🛼

BBS Signature

At 3/13/24 04:32 PM, MobyG wrote: When your working on art for a couple of hours what's makes you stay motivated, music taking a short break (hopefully coming back to it later) looking at somebody else art or what. What do u guys do to stay invested in your own craft so you can finish it.

Knowing I can always do better and how there's always SOMETHING I can improve in

My art is a cycle of:

- Practice or doodle something

- Realize it looks kinda cool

- Clean it up and polish it

I never set out to make a finalized piece, it just happens when it happens

My goal in every single one of my finished pieces is to have challenged myself and tried something new, that's why my style consistently develops and is never the exact same between works. I'm always trying to push my limits, and that inspires me to keep going because I know I can always push more

A few hours is normal for any passioned activity. I bet you have no problem spending hours playing games or something. If you find it such a chore maybe you need a new hobby? Nobody's forcing you to do something you hate 🙂

Generally just popping on some music or a podcast, and I'm good to go, but I also love the creation process of making something.

When there are days that I'm not feeling it (because that still does happen), as long as I dont have a deadline on it, I might take some time to game, get out of the studio and do something, gym, etc. We all only have so much battery usage before it's depleted, be is social, work, creative, etc. Gotta take the time when you need to recharge, and maybe find some new inspiration while doing so.

The moment i stopped worrying about other people - social media, likes, having 'right' opinion, I never had need to motivate myself to do anything in life. I doodle because it makes me happy and I cannot care less about noise around me.

I stay motivated for the prase of all geeks. It keeps me hungry. For me to keep on, I listen to music and stream my art with discussion and the answering of questions. Interviews are much more entertaining with illustration as I have discovered.

Quinnfinity NG

BBS Signature

At 3/13/24 04:32 PM, MobyG wrote: When your working on art for a couple of hours what's makes you stay motivated, music taking a short break (hopefully coming back to it later) looking at somebody else art or what. What do u guys do to stay invested in your own craft so you can finish it.

Mostly other's art, Be it a movie/animation (looking at you Spider-verse), music, stories or just art. This is the reason I joined Newgrounds actually, the art community here is awesome and I get a lot of cool inspiration from it, which in turn gets me motivated to do it.

I am easily emotionaly manipulated by music for some reason, it's a happy day for me if I have my happy playlist on and a bittersweet day if I have my bittersweet playlist on, ect. All those strong emotions give me more connection to my artistic side and gets me motivated, either because I actually start believe in myself or some idea.

Also a particular technique I like often gives me enough motivation to wanna try it, be it chromatic abberation, certain shading or coloring techniques, ect.

BBS Signature

Sheer spite,

oh well I mean music is also a very big motivator for me.