00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

StrokeitKurt just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What color palettes make you irrationally angry?

1,609 Views | 75 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Friends and I were talking about some art we'd found that for whatever reason had a lot of brown tones coupled with a very shiny rendering style, and a few particularly creative insults were thrown around. Things like:

• "It looks like it's made of pizza grease"
  • "It looks like it smells like peanut oil"
  • "It looks like if I put my hand there I'll have to wash it immediately after"

That gave me an idea. I want to ask you: What color palettes grind your gears, either in general or in certain artistic contexts?

Let's rant. >:)

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 17:49:05

At 2/28/24 05:42 PM, Thetageist wrote: Friends and I were talking about some art we'd found that for whatever reason had a lot of brown tones coupled with a very shiny rendering style, and a few particularly creative insults were thrown around. Things like:

That gave me an idea. I want to ask you: What color palettes grind your gears, either in general or in certain artistic contexts?

any dark yellows, and with super grayed out colors

1:37 ───ㅇ─────3:45 ᴠᴏʟᴜᴍᴇ : ▮▮▮▮▮▮▯▯▯

↺ REPEAT ‖ PAUSE ≫ NEXT SONG

Former fan of the general forums. Artist, Twitter hater, loser, bad poet.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 17:54:28

Eye-raping saturated colors (aka: The problemsolverz) also known as the mary-sue sonic OC from devianart in 2012.

I actually love saturated colors and I use them all the time in my own art, but it's super easy to tell when someone used them unproperly.

Hai art thread

~-.¸¸,.-~*’ •·.·´¯`·.·• `·.¸¸.·´´¯`··._.· •´`·..íì..·´`•

║▌Your hollow gaze has shifted past my eyes ▌║

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 18:03:08

green and purple looks like puke

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 18:05:26

Anything that is like a spam of colors with no rhyme or reason.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 18:05:47

At 2/28/24 06:03 PM, blackwind677 wrote: green and purple looks like puke

[quickly hides my persona]

What shades thereof?

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 19:40:55

never liked the whole "galaxy-purple" thing, major point of contention with one of my friends. much too 2015 tumblr for my taste

if you see me online it is because i have seven assignments due in two hours

BBS Signature

Lol not me with my main OCs colours >_> hehe... nah im kidding. White-Noise has gotten less and less saturated over the years so now the purple looks greyish to help the brightly saturated green stand out more

Edit: For my own opinion i think it really matters about balance, but yea if you use Red, Yellow AND Blue in the same design you better know what the heck your doing easy to make a mess that way lol

No fear. No pain.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 20:27:00

Overly bright colors were I doesn’t make sense just kinda hurts my eyes

Toniestbook

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 21:09:36

That's the last palette I used, so I'm obligated to fight you.

For me, it's just anything where there's the same saturated hue at multiple brightnesses. If your idea of shading is that "light=add white" and "dark=add black" chances are it sucks. Especially if it's yellow, since it's got so much visual mud to travel through to go a straight line from yellow to black.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 21:22:15

Ones with super super muddy colors. Coloring is my favorite part, and irrationally pisses me off when they don’t try being creative and just shade with a darker hue or GREY 😔

Art Thread, Animation Thread

(◉◞౪◟◉)

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 21:41:54

I probably should've clarified, those two together. Not on their own. I'm not tryna ta pick fights

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 23:23:09

At 2/28/24 09:41 PM, blackwind677 wrote:
I probably should've clarified, those two together. Not on their own. I'm not tryna ta pick fights

I don't get it, I'm more confused now hahaha

By "together" do you mean when they're mixed to create brown? Or do you mean this?

iu_1168674_8048042.webp

Cuz if it's this, I'm giving you a wedgie after class.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-28 23:54:57

At 2/28/24 11:23 PM, Skoops wrote:
By "together" do you mean when they're mixed to create brown? Or do you mean this?

sorry but... yes

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 00:12:54

At 2/28/24 11:54 PM, blackwind677 wrote: sorry but... yes

get your affairs in order.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 00:36:09

At 2/28/24 11:23 PM, Skoops wrote:

Thanks to a friend I had once and a random afternoon, I recognize this house.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 00:43:01

• Dark green, unappealing
  • Pale red, taste like medicine
  • Bright pink, I’m not a girl
  • Bla-

I am the epic lifeform!

BBS Signature

The 4 color DOS CGA palette! It looks ugly. I hate it!

iu_1168696_3945050.png

iu_1168695_3945050.png

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 01:23:16

At 2/29/24 12:36 AM, Thetageist wrote: Thanks to a friend I had once and a random afternoon, I recognize this house.

The whole show does green-purple color compliments and it's all very iconic, very good, very not bad. Maybe that's a subject for a "what color palettes make you irrationally happy" thread.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 02:11:10

The combination of baby pink and turquoise (aka bubblegum colours) is overrated in my opinion. I just get kinda bored whenever I see it as the main colour palette in art

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 02:26:02

Bright saturated red and bright saturated green. Used to be all I would use and now i hate it

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 07:08:46

At 2/29/24 12:50 AM, Czyszy wrote: The 4 color DOS CGA palette! It looks ugly. I hate it!

looking at those colors for always felt like my retinas are getting burned

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 07:23:54

At 2/28/24 05:42 PM, Thetageist wrote: Friends and I were talking about some art we'd found that for whatever reason had a lot of brown tones coupled with a very shiny rendering style, and a few particularly creative insults were thrown around. Things like:

not sure if this counts but I hate it when people use just raw neon yellow for blonde hair

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 12:36:50

Oh boy I have a lot.

Any neon bright colors paired with other bright colors but for some reason neon blue specifically hurts my eyes. I'm fine with neon as long as it's paired with a lot of dark colors to counterbalance it.

Also dark yellows look gross and muddy to me. Also sometimes pastels piss me off and I don't know why, maybe it's the association with fake nice cry bullies, idk. But what really grinds my gears is when every single color is eye searingly bright with no duller colors to rest on. I can't stand when characters have like 20 different colors, makes it hell to draw and doesn't even look good.

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 13:44:09

eyebleeding neons, like as saturated as possible, all contrasting and with no cohesion. like uhhh maybe this is a me thing but if you were anywhere near the danganronpa fandom in like 2020 during the rise of "scenecore" you probably saw some art like that! and like listen, cringe culture is dead and whatnot, do whatever makes you happy, but i have chronic migraines so personally i physically CANT look at that type of color palette for more than 3 seconds without it giving me a headache. i think bright and contrasting color palettes can be utilized well, im not saying neons as a whole are somehow bad like an angry 30 year old screaming at a child's OC on deviantart for having rainbow hair, just that too much of it legitimately hurts my eyes lmfao

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 13:50:22

virtual boy

Not working on Nightmare Cops.

Also last post.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 13:53:25

At 2/29/24 01:44 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote: eyebleeding neons, like as saturated as possible, all contrasting and with no cohesion. like uhhh maybe this is a me thing but if you were anywhere near the danganronpa fandom in like 2020 during the rise of "scenecore" you probably saw some art like that! and like listen, cringe culture is dead and whatnot, do whatever makes you happy, but i have chronic migraines so personally i physically CANT look at that type of color palette for more than 3 seconds without it giving me a headache. i think bright and contrasting color palettes can be utilized well, im not saying neons as a whole are somehow bad like an angry 30 year old screaming at a child's OC on deviantart for having rainbow hair, just that too much of it legitimately hurts my eyes lmfao

actually, yknow, a lot of people said this exact thing. maybe a bit too predictable. so here's a bonus color palette i hate for no discernible reason: red, blue, and yellow. like yeah, its cute, its the primary colors, its got a clowny feel, but just like what i said above its not always used in a super appealing way. theres one artist who's name i wont say cuz 1. im not a jackass and 2. i forgot honestly who uses ONLY those 3 colors, all super saturated, no black or white. its just like... i dunno... i feel like there should at least be some black lineart to break up the madness. blue directly on top of yellow isnt very friendly to the eyes lol

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 14:17:51

At 2/29/24 01:53 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote:
At 2/29/24 01:44 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote: eyebleeding neons, like as saturated as possible, all contrasting and with no cohesion. like uhhh maybe this is a me thing but if you were anywhere near the danganronpa fandom in like 2020 during the rise of "scenecore" you probably saw some art like that! and like listen, cringe culture is dead and whatnot, do whatever makes you happy, but i have chronic migraines so personally i physically CANT look at that type of color palette for more than 3 seconds without it giving me a headache. i think bright and contrasting color palettes can be utilized well, im not saying neons as a whole are somehow bad like an angry 30 year old screaming at a child's OC on deviantart for having rainbow hair, just that too much of it legitimately hurts my eyes lmfao
actually, yknow, a lot of people said this exact thing. maybe a bit too predictable. so here's a bonus color palette i hate for no discernible reason: red, blue, and yellow. like yeah, its cute, its the primary colors, its got a clowny feel, but just like what i said above its not always used in a super appealing way. theres one artist who's name i wont say cuz 1. im not a jackass and 2. i forgot honestly who uses ONLY those 3 colors, all super saturated, no black or white. its just like... i dunno... i feel like there should at least be some black lineart to break up the madness. blue directly on top of yellow isnt very friendly to the eyes lol

I reckon that the black line art is what would make most older comic book characters (like Superman, etc) more tolerable to you, heh. There were some really saturated colors in a lot of those designs, but the inked lines were also nice and thick.

BBS Signature

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 14:42:48

At 2/29/24 02:17 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 2/29/24 01:53 PM, maniczombiedreamgirl wrote:
I reckon that the black line art is what would make most older comic book characters (like Superman, etc) more tolerable to you, heh. There were some really saturated colors in a lot of those designs, but the inked lines were also nice and thick.

yeah, i think its when theres no black that makes me hate it, lmfao. cuz it breaks up the colors! but i dont like when theyre directly on top of each other

Response to What color palettes make you irrationally angry? 2024-02-29 15:26:15

I don't really like color palettes that are mostly brown and yuck yellows.

Just think the era of gaming where every game company put a piss or brown filter over every single game.