00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Demons202 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

iPod's n' MP3 Players

562 Views | 37 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-15 19:27:32

What iPod/MP3 Player/whatever do you use to listen to music?

I need something that isn't my phone to play music on the go, but I've used nothing but Spotify for so long that I have no idea where to begin! Any help would be appreciated

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-15 19:41:52

At 2/15/24 07:27 PM, ZekeWatson wrote: What iPod/MP3 Player/whatever do you use to listen to music?
I need something that isn't my phone to play music on the go, but I've used nothing but Spotify for so long that I have no idea where to begin! Any help would be appreciated

I'd just get a good audio player app and a good sd card for your phone. That's what I do, just have loads of albums on my sd card for music on the go.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-16 04:07:08

I've been using my PSP more as an audio player than a game console ever since it was gifted to me. It is collecting dust at the moment but I used to bring it with me to listen to music instead of paying attention in class. The memory card has like 2gb of space and I think you can get some with 64gb capacity, although I would probably not seriously recommend it over any other device because it is a little big and whatever shitty phone you buy nowadays should be able to play mp3 files just fine.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-16 06:34:30

At 2/16/24 04:07 AM, Leavesz wrote: I've been using my PSP more as an audio player than a game console ever since it was gifted to me. It is collecting dust at the moment but I used to bring it with me to listen to music instead of paying attention in class. The memory card has like 2gb of space and I think you can get some with 64gb capacity, although I would probably not seriously recommend it over any other device because it is a little big and whatever shitty phone you buy nowadays should be able to play mp3 files just fine.

I remember loads of my friend using their PSP as their go-to media tool for a long time! It was a really good system.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-16 23:29:23 (edited 2024-02-16 23:35:17)

How about another phone, but without a SIM card? AIMP for Android is an incredible music player app!

EDIT:

You'd need to either temporarily insert your current SIM card and use the mobile internet connection into your music player phone in order to download AIMP or use Wi-Fi. I haven't tried the latter option. But it shouldn't be more difficult than inserting the SD card anyway. :P

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 00:58:36

Sheeeeeeeesh what a buncha twats!

OP: 'Hey I'm looking for an mp3-player that's not a phone.'

Braindead slackjawed responders: 'durrr, just use your phone'.

Just like a PSP, an old Nintendo DS with a flashcard is still a solid option. The old Lite model is still very pocket-able (fits better in most of my pockets than my phone). Its old-school volume slider is also so much nicer than the small volume buttons you have to push multiple times or hold for an eternity. And good old D-pad for selecting your files is just GOOD.

Also got me a usb charging cable for it, so can even charge it on the go if needed.

iu_1163397_2438174.jpg

And I actually got this little crusty thing, a few years ago. Just a little mp3 player. Way smaller and easier to put in any pocket. And just the basic physical buttons, so I can adjust volume, or skip a track, without having to look at the little screen, or even needing to get it out of the pocket.

Like yeh, obviously outdated af. But way better form-factor than most phones today. And physical clicky butt'ns ftw!

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 07:00:48

At 2/17/24 12:58 AM, Guidodinho wrote: Sheeeeeeeesh what a buncha twats!

Just like a PSP, an old Nintendo DS with a flashcard is still a solid option. The old Lite model is still very pocket-able (fits better in most of my pockets than my phone). Its old-school volume slider is also so much nicer than the small volume buttons you have to push multiple times or hold for an eternity. And good old D-pad for selecting your files is just GOOD.
Also got me a usb charging cable for it, so can even charge it on the go if needed.

And I actually got this little crusty thing, a few years ago. Just a little mp3 player. Way smaller and easier to put in any pocket. And just the basic physical buttons, so I can adjust volume, or skip a track, without having to look at the little screen, or even needing to get it out of the pocket.
Like yeh, obviously outdated af. But way better form-factor than most phones today. And physical clicky butt'ns ftw!

Yeah this is more what I'm looking for! I actually recently found out that people are re-appreciating their old iPod classics. I'm low key tempted to do that, because you can use them without being tied to iTunes now.

But obviously I'm open to any better options that I might not know about. I used to love my Sansa Clip, for example!iu_1163469_1202134.jpg

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 07:10:38

Because a phone is still a great option to consider. They used to make those mp3 player thingies high quality and durable but after smartphones got common, right now you can only get super cheap badly made ones. Buying one of the old ones used is good on paper but very rarely can you get a good deal and not overpay.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 07:13:21

At 2/17/24 07:10 AM, Czyszy wrote:
Because a phone is still a great option to consider. They used to make those mp3 player thingies high quality and durable but after smartphones got common, right now you can only get super cheap badly made ones. Buying one of the old ones used is good on paper but very rarely can you get a good deal and not overpay.

I don't want a phone. Please don't suggest phones.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 07:14:40

sure

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 09:53:36

Only thing that I have as an MP3 player is my homebrewed Nintendo DS. I guess you could use that since it works pretty well but not sure how much it compresses the music.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 09:56:57

Just like a PSP, an old Nintendo DS with a flashcard is still a solid option.

Guess I'm not alone on the Nintendo DS. I haven't really used it but it does work as an option. No ads and no internet needed and you get games with it too.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 11:29:08

Sadly, I gotta agree on the poor quality on most mp3 players left on the market. Evem that one I got that I showed the picture of, still has a kinda laggy interface. And pretty poor batery life when using bluetooth.

But purely for the fact that most phones are becoming stupid big to comfortably put in your pocket, and having physical buttons makes it worthwhile to still have.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 12:36:41

Ooh, this is something I should be able to help with! Recently I decided I want to get more into music, and part of that for me was also finding a good player.

Nowadays it seems like if you want something that isn't bottom of the barrel, you'd want to be looking for a DAP (Digital Audio Player) rather than an MP3 player, since it's more of an enthusiast thing and that means they should generally be a bit better quality.

I've been using these two so far, the Mechen M30 and the Hidizs AP80 Pro X.

iu_1163557_16194128.webp

I'm planning to make a video covering them and a few other things that are related, but that'll probably be in a bit of a while so here's a quick rundown:

The M30 (the left one) is £50 on AliExpress, which is pretty cheap for a DAP. It's built like a tank, which means it's great for just stuffing into your pocket and not having to worry about it too much. It plays all sorts of files including lossless ones fine, the only big issue I have with it is that it doesn't have gapless playback, so albums that are meant to be listened to in one go don't work so well.

There are a few other smaller issues, like not playing surround files (as far as I can tell, but they aren't super common anyway.), being very picky with song metadata, and only showing the filenames instead of the song names.

I'm neutral on this since it has its positives and negatives but you do have to turn on the screen to use any commands while something is playing, so it is an extra step even if it is still pretty easy to do while in your pocket.

The wheel is a lot of fun to mess around with though, so that's a huge plus!

The AP80 Pro X is double the price, but it solves pretty much all the issues I have with the M30 and the higher quality DAC should make music sound a bit better through it, though I'm not such a fan of the buttons and wheel on this one.

iu_1163558_16194128.webp

The volume can be hard to change without pinching the wheel which makes it something you can't really do with one hand, and the playback control buttons are all exactly the same size and shape so if you want to avoid doing something wrong it's best to look at the thing, which means I end up doing everything through the screen. So it's a good job it's quite a pretty one.

There are other DAPs that look great but the prices can be pretty crazy, going up to several thousand. But Sony's still making Walkmans, the A306 is their current 'budget' model and it seems pretty good! Though it is pretty much a phone with better audio and no SIM card slot, so I'm not sure if that would be what you want.

I hope all this was at least a little helpful!

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 12:56:09

At 2/15/24 07:27 PM, ZekeWatson wrote: What iPod/MP3 Player/whatever do you use to listen to music?

For a very very VERY long time, I used my 6th gen iPod classic since I was a wee child up until recently at uni. Unfortunately, the audio jack inside the nugget decided to only play audio on the left side when plugged into a jack. So now I basically cannot use it for normal usage as fixing it is INCREDIBLY difficult and I already have shit experience fixing tiny devices like that... And all the other iPods I have are completely unusable (does not power on).

I've been thinking about either getting a couple new parts for the thing just to give fixing it a shot one day, or just buying a whole new one but with less storage (mine is 160GB and I even think that's a bit much for how much music I listen to) Honestly though, if you're wanting to get an MP3 player in this day in age, get yourself either a used iPod 4-5th gen or something that's more recent that could be affordable and a bit more durable for normal use. Wishing you the best of luck on your new music listening journey! :D

Sic semper tyrannis.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 13:56:43

At 2/17/24 12:36 PM, purbleplays wrote: A lot

Just in case, I thought I should say the reason I wrote about and got these two players is that I spent a long time researching what ones have the best bang for your buck, it's not completely arbitrary!

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-17 19:27:54

I only listen to music via animated music videos in flipnote studio on my dsi

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 03:28:00

I remember having this mp3 player that also supported MP4 playback, and the screen went out on it, but I managed to have such a good memory, that I was able to navigate the screen without seeing it to get to my music.

Listen to my latest video game music release! Windup & Pitch! If you wish! :)

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 04:59:37

At 2/17/24 12:36 PM, purbleplays wrote: Ooh, this is something I should be able to help with! Recently I decided I want to get more into music, and part of that for me was also finding a good player.

Nowadays it seems like if you want something that isn't bottom of the barrel, you'd want to be looking for a DAP (Digital Audio Player) rather than an MP3 player, since it's more of an enthusiast thing and that means they should generally be a bit better quality.

I've been using these two so far, the Mechen M30 and the Hidizs AP80 Pro X.

I'm planning to make a video covering them and a few other things that are related, but that'll probably be in a bit of a while so here's a quick rundown:

The M30 (the left one) is £50 on AliExpress, which is pretty cheap for a DAP. It's built like a tank, which means it's great for just stuffing into your pocket and not having to worry about it too much. It plays all sorts of files including lossless ones fine, the only big issue I have with it is that it doesn't have gapless playback, so albums that are meant to be listened to in one go don't work so well.
There are a few other smaller issues, like not playing surround files (as far as I can tell, but they aren't super common anyway.), being very picky with song metadata, and only showing the filenames instead of the song names.
I'm neutral on this since it has its positives and negatives but you do have to turn on the screen to use any commands while something is playing, so it is an extra step even if it is still pretty easy to do while in your pocket.
The wheel is a lot of fun to mess around with though, so that's a huge plus!

The AP80 Pro X is double the price, but it solves pretty much all the issues I have with the M30 and the higher quality DAC should make music sound a bit better through it, though I'm not such a fan of the buttons and wheel on this one.

The volume can be hard to change without pinching the wheel which makes it something you can't really do with one hand, and the playback control buttons are all exactly the same size and shape so if you want to avoid doing something wrong it's best to look at the thing, which means I end up doing everything through the screen. So it's a good job it's quite a pretty one.

There are other DAPs that look great but the prices can be pretty crazy, going up to several thousand. But Sony's still making Walkmans, the A306 is their current 'budget' model and it seems pretty good! Though it is pretty much a phone with better audio and no SIM card slot, so I'm not sure if that would be what you want.

I hope all this was at least a little helpful!

This is *crazy* helpful, thank you! I didn't know DAP was the term used for these things now.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 05:03:26

At 2/17/24 12:56 PM, PorterNG wrote:
For a very very VERY long time, I used my 6th gen iPod classic since I was a wee child up until recently at uni. Unfortunately, the audio jack inside the nugget decided to only play audio on the left side when plugged into a jack. So now I basically cannot use it for normal usage as fixing it is INCREDIBLY difficult and I already have shit experience fixing tiny devices like that... And all the other iPods I have are completely unusable (does not power on).

I've been thinking about either getting a couple new parts for the thing just to give fixing it a shot one day, or just buying a whole new one but with less storage (mine is 160GB and I even think that's a bit much for how much music I listen to) Honestly though, if you're wanting to get an MP3 player in this day in age, get yourself either a used iPod 4-5th gen or something that's more recent that could be affordable and a bit more durable for normal use. Wishing you the best of luck on your new music listening journey! :D

Buying an iPod and repairing it seems like my go-to option at the moment (until I do some more research on these DAC's that were just posted).

Also you said maybe get something more durable, are iPods not very durabe? I always thought they were very sturdy, but I've never owned one.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 07:24:05

You just reminded me that I still own a 3rd gen Ipod nano that I haven't used since I was 13. I need to break that out again. It'll be like a little blue time capsule. Before my Ipod, I had a red Sandisk Sansa fuse (another old one I still own). It' convenient and it has a clip you can attach to your clothes. It shouldn't be too hard to find and it might be cheaper than the Ipod. Both are great for not taking up a ton on space in your pocket.

iu_1163924_13401306.jpg

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 07:33:25

At 2/18/24 07:24 AM, AldilusRex wrote: You just reminded me that I still own a 3rd gen Ipod nano that I haven't used since I was 13. I need to break that out again. It'll be like a little blue time capsule. Before my Ipod, I had a red Sandisk Sansa fuse (another old one I still own). It' convenient and it has a clip you can attach to your clothes. It shouldn't be too hard to find and it might be cheaper than the Ipod. Both are great for not taking up a ton on space in your pocket.

Fuck yes, another Sansa-Chad 😎

The iPod nano has a really nice form factor. Apparently they are prone to a "black dot" appearing on the screen which can be a sign the battery is swelling, so look out for the dot when you find your old one.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 07:58:26

At 2/18/24 07:33 AM, ZekeWatson wrote:
At 2/18/24 07:24 AM, AldilusRex wrote: You just reminded me that I still own a 3rd gen Ipod nano that I haven't used since I was 13. I need to break that out again. It'll be like a little blue time capsule. Before my Ipod, I had a red Sandisk Sansa fuse (another old one I still own). It' convenient and it has a clip you can attach to your clothes. It shouldn't be too hard to find and it might be cheaper than the Ipod. Both are great for not taking up a ton on space in your pocket.
The iPod nano has a really nice form factor. Apparently they are prone to a "black dot" appearing on the screen which can be a sign the battery is swelling, so look out for the dot when you find your old one.

I just purchased a charger for it so hopefully it turns on without the battery damage. I wanna see how bad my music taste was. I guarantee caramelldansen is hiding on here lol

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-18 11:55:08

At 2/18/24 05:03 AM, ZekeWatson wrote:

Buying an iPod and repairing it seems like my go-to option at the moment (until I do some more research on these DAC's that were just posted).
Also you said maybe get something more durable, are iPods not very durabe? I always thought they were very sturdy, but I've never owned one.

Oh they are very much durable! I'm talking about in terms of the most recent ones that are just nothing but a tiny SSD or SD Card inside the nugget because the older iPods contain a physical HDD. So if you were to drop the thing while the drive was moving inside, you'd be fucked. So I'd recommend either being SUPER careful with one or mod it to have it store in an SSD (since you did mention repairing them anyway)

My mistake, to clarify, they are durable on the outside but on the inside you have to be mindful of is all.

Sic semper tyrannis.

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-19 04:24:53

At 2/18/24 11:55 AM, PorterNG wrote:
At 2/18/24 05:03 AM, ZekeWatson wrote:

Oh they are very much durable! I'm talking about in terms of the most recent ones that are just nothing but a tiny SSD or SD Card inside the nugget because the older iPods contain a physical HDD. So if you were to drop the thing while the drive was moving inside, you'd be fucked. So I'd recommend either being SUPER careful with one or mod it to have it store in an SSD (since you did mention repairing them anyway)

My mistake, to clarify, they are durable on the outside but on the inside you have to be mindful of is all.

I understand now, thanks for clearing things up!

I think so far my go-to is an old iPod classic. I like the way they look and they seem the easiest to fix up! I guess the plus side of everyone having an iPod was that spare parts are cheap now!

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-19 04:25:40

At 2/18/24 07:58 AM, AldilusRex wrote:
At 2/18/24 07:33 AM, ZekeWatson wrote:
I just purchased a charger for it so hopefully it turns on without the battery damage. I wanna see how bad my music taste was. I guarantee caramelldansen is hiding on here lol

Be sure to let us know how bad the damage to your rep was.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-19 12:50:47

my sony walkman nw-a45 has been doing well for almost two years now, highly recommend the system although if you buy it youll likely get it from japan which needs a mod to allow english language text. other than that its amazing, really small and compact but feels nice, has a lot of support for different audio codecs and can even connect to the radio. battery life is pretty good but since its an older sony product it has a proprietary charger. overall a good place to start if you want a digital music player.

ive also seen some posts saying they use a psp and i also have some songs loaded on my psp go which i like taking out with me every once in a while. works like a dream.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-19 12:53:45

sony still regularly produces walkman players with high quality builds to ridiculously high quality builds.

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-19 22:45:41

At 2/17/24 07:00 AM, ZekeWatson wrote: Yeah this is more what I'm looking for! I actually recently found out that people are re-appreciating their old iPod classics. I'm low key tempted to do that, because you can use them without being tied to iTunes now.
But obviously I'm open to any better options that I might not know about. I used to love my Sansa Clip, for example!

Oh I remember the Sansa. Nice tight and compact but sometimes could be a pain to setup and to get playing.

I actually prefer the later ipods. I like the ability to store a decent amount of music and videos for later, notes, and a little browser. It's like a phone but without all the notifications, and as long as you don't drop it, it's fine.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to iPod's n' MP3 Players 2024-02-20 02:41:13 (edited 2024-02-20 02:48:41)

I have a 2nd gen iPod Nano and I love it. I got it on eBay for like $25 and I like how it's small enough to fit in my pocket (unlike my cellphone lol).