00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MrOberfeld just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

How did you originally start out making music?

943 Views | 40 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-02-11 12:09:48

Years ago, I was listening to Waterflame and noticed in the video description that it was made with FL Studio. I had no idea what it means. I was also bored out of my mind so I downloaded trial version of it and gave it a go. Confusing as hell at first but sticking to this software ever since.

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-02-19 12:25:49

When I had Game maker on this tablet (which is apparently not suppose to work on tablet) I was making small games, and needed music for the start screen and levels...

And so started on Rhytmic: a music app on 3DS and exported my music into the game... But most tracks were so freaking bad😂😂😂

I got slightly better though, like I downloaded the stuff from 4Shared and some of the stuff from July(?) Onwards sounded OK

BBS Signature

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-02-19 22:47:43

At 2/10/24 08:32 AM, GoofyRandomBitch wrote: I found out one of my friends made music so I decided to make music aswell

My favorite artists on NG were cool, so I started researching DAWs. I was also in band at the time, like 2005. Most of my submissions don't exist anymore from that time to 2008 because they either sucked or broke the rules, but as you can see, almost 20 years later and I'm still going ham

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-02-23 10:23:11

Back in the summer of 2022, I got much into music. I dont know why, but i enjoyed it so much i started making music with a mobile DAW for Android that was...pretty bad. Eventually i moved to FL Studio Mobile but as time went on I chose to stick to LMMS and thats how its been since then. Music is a nice hobby for me, i am very passionate about it and i take much joy in doing it.

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-02-25 22:46:53

There was this cool deadmau5-style beat I found on YouTube back in 2012; it was made only with FL Studio, a program I played around with a lot but never knew that kind of sound was possible. I asked the guy how he made it sound so good and he told me, "Years and years of experience."

12 years later, I say the same thing to new artists :)

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-03-01 15:04:59

I started when I was a kid. I've always loved music and we had an electric organ in our foyer so I would play around with it and came up with some melodies and things. Later we had gotten rid of the organ and had a Casio keyboard that I figured out how to play some Final Fantasy, Legend of Zelda and other videogame songs. I wanted to be a bassist in a nu metal band, but my Mommom started me on electric guitar (BC Rich Warlock).

My Dad got me a bass later and I tried to play with other people to make bands, but never had any cohesion with anyone really (nobody wanted to put in effort or had a similar vision). Joined high school orchestra on contrabass and started recording my own experimental music in like 2007 or something.

This is really just a long story made short, but yeah that's the start.

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-03-05 07:37:11

I started trying to make my own music when a friend recommended Reaper, as it was free. In hindsight, I realize it's not a beginner friendly DAW, but it's all I know and now I'm pretty good with it lol

The thing is, I listen to so much music that I had no clue what I wanted to make, but I settled on synth pop since I prefer programming and working IN the DAW rather then playing live instruments (even tho I adore playing drums especially). It's not that I dislike recording my performances, it's really fun, but getting perfect takes is hard when you're very much a perfectionist. Plus, synth pop and it's dreamy elements have always been a comforting escape to me, and to make the music that not only comforts me but might comfort others in the process makes me very happy. So I just started... fucking around and making stuff.

"If the world can't provide you comfort, find someone who can in spite of the world." - Me

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-03-06 22:11:59

So I have ADHD, right?

My mind will wander.

So, I'd oftentimes have song ideas pop into my head randomly

And I'd go

"Hey, that's fucking good."

... Then I'd forget those ideas.

I got fed up with these ideas being wasted and forgotten in my cranium, so I started transcribing music my mind conjured up.

Started with this:

https://soundcloud.com/user-603993692/sadtrack

I later found out it was basically an arpeggiated version of the piano version of Canon in D.

That was sad.

Still, that's where I started, and why.

I want the ideas that pass in my head to exist, and not lay forgotten in a pit in the vast recesses of my mind somewhere.

BBS Signature

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-03-10 22:11:49

Touched FL back in like 2019, made some goofy stuff and kept making said goofy stuff until it became not goofy! Now i make actually decent music!

I downloaded FL Studio 20 and wrote a crappy bit, it was December 13, 2020, the time was about 22:00. On February 9, 2021, I download FL Studio Mobile, I start writing Phonk, lol, then in the summer of 2021 I start writing bits, and at the end of 2021, about October, I switch back to FL Studio 20. That's when I started writing music seriously, but it was an effort. I also created my account on June 29, 2021, but this account is now abandoned and there are about 13 songs on it that were poorly rated. But on October 14, 2022, I created my new account. Initially, I just wanted to upload my remixes to KOCMOC from SLEEPING HUMMINGBIRD in order to use them in GD, but then I needed to get a whitelist, which I received on December 1, 2022. From that moment on, my music began to improve, but it only really got better at the end of 2023. I will not forget the year 2023. So that's how it is with me.

Response to How did you originally start out making music? 2024-03-13 14:17:52

20 years ago I started making music by messing around in FL Studio. It was all Trance at the time, and it wasn't very good. 3 years later, I bought my first electric piano, and practiced almost every day.

BBS Signature