00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

jd-d20 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Website has been stealing art and putting it up for sale!

2,891 Views | 94 Replies

Important Update:

I received a response from CloudFlare and they have provided further information.

iu_1113193_3993712.webp

The direct hosting provider has been given to me by CloudFlare above. For those on mobile the company in question is Hetzner Online GmbH.

I would advise contacting them via abuse@hetzner.de in addition to CloudFlare's services.

It seems they're just getting to me. Also holy shit they're overpriced! Well more of my images infecting the global consciousness to whatever idiots that actually buy shit from that site.

Anyways definitely a data scraper of some form is being used. I know because the search results for "Personatus Dolorious" on Goggle mostly pulls up species of locusts and other bugs.

iu_1113196_9507916.webp

It appears to be using google just like how it was said in this thread. Search results of google match artwisher's selection. Which means some schizo shit will probably be popping up soon on the site (I fucking doubt they manually review what is scraped) LMAO!

Unless they got some extra security measures. This can be exploited theoretically.

iu_1113197_9507916.webp

At 11/13/23 10:59 AM, SomeDoodles wrote:
Not only is my art stolen, but it's also a hit?! What does that mean?!?!?!

The website gives those labels randomly

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Wonderfuliu_1113209_10067007.webp

Performer of all, completer of none

BBS Signature

Yeah, it looks like it just pulls from Google images and it's not scraping art websites specifically. Searching my name had my art, but it also has a bunch of old forum post images from an MMO. There's also pictures of wallets and stuff since my name ends up matching with product serial numbers on occasion.

I wonder if there's some kind of action we can take as a collective? There's us here on Newgrounds, DeviantArt, and ToyHouse who are all aware of the problem.

At 11/13/23 01:28 PM, Zfert wrote: Yeah, it looks like it just pulls from Google images and it's not scraping art websites specifically. Searching my name had my art, but it also has a bunch of old forum post images from an MMO. There's also pictures of wallets and stuff since my name ends up matching with product serial numbers on occasion.

I wonder if there's some kind of action we can take as a collective? There's us here on Newgrounds, DeviantArt, and ToyHouse who are all aware of the problem.

A wave of DCMA complaints on their host providers

Found this on Twitter

iu_1113234_3560843.webp

At 11/13/23 08:38 AM, DioShiba wrote: Well I've been talking with a few people I'm connected with on a few other sites as well.

Couple of things I've been finding out.

So my best guess is that directly emailing them will get you IP banned so more than likely you'd have to get in touch with the host provider more than anything else.

If only we could find out the actual people running Artwisher & the other two clone companies. I like it better when my enemy has a face & a name.

Also: Yes, they got me too.

iu_1113238_15454845.png

Pen pusher, brush dragger, wood butcher & usual suspect.

You can see my stuff here: https://shadenlines.newgrounds.com/art

This is not funny anymore

iu_1113246_7514444.webp

iu_1113247_7514444.webp

At 11/13/23 08:27 AM, Prismisho wrote:
At 11/13/23 07:34 AM, RepriseAgain wrote: Looks like I've been spared... for now.
Oh trust me, you haven’t been spared. Results don’t show up for people not in America.

Oh wow.

Time to make an ArtFisher joke.

'posterun' was searchable for me from Sweden. On my name I only found 3 pieces connected to me, all collabs where I am not the main poster (and a number of pieces with no apparent direct connection with me). Also tested my old deviantart name, with no hits that was mine.

I tested with other usernames that have been mentioned in this thread, to see if I would get similar results as shown in the thread, to make sure the search results where any good. I did get the same results.

So 'posterun' seems to be a place 'non-americans' can use to check if their pieces have been used.

One thing that possibly might have kept my images out of this (if they are, maybe I just didn't find them) could be that I keep the posting size down to 640x480, with the intention that this would generally be to small to use for any commercial level of printing, (or that is what I believe anyway). Just mentioning this as a possible defense strategy.

@Thetageist Searching on my name some of your stuff was shown, and more when searching directly on your username. Just a heads up, so you know.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Website hosted in China, huh? I think I have a solution

iu_1113276_7116275.png

BBS Signature

I'm going to see if posterun and posterbe happen to have the same host provider as ArtWishers, meantime, I'll be updating the post to reflect the information that has been provided in this thread.

Sheeeet, can someone tell me if my arts on there because I’m not in the US and it doesn’t show up for me (I bloody hope it never shows up).

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

At 11/13/23 05:14 PM, MondoBilby wrote: Sheeeet, can someone tell me if my arts on there because I’m not in the US and it doesn’t show up for me (I bloody hope it never shows up).

Sorry to report, your work is indeed here. Checked on all three and found the same results on both Posterun and Posterbe. No results for Artwisher.

iu_1113349_3560843.webp

At 11/13/23 05:32 PM, Zfert wrote:
At 11/13/23 05:14 PM, MondoBilby wrote: Sheeeet, can someone tell me if my arts on there because I’m not in the US and it doesn’t show up for me (I bloody hope it never shows up).
Sorry to report, your work is indeed here. Checked on all three and found the same results on both Posterun and Posterbe. No results for Artwisher.

you may have to type “[username] newgrounds”. I ended up having to do that for posterun

At 11/13/23 05:35 PM, DioShiba wrote:
you may have to type “[username] newgrounds”. I ended up having to do that for posterun

Gave that a try and still got no results.

At 11/13/23 05:38 PM, Zfert wrote:

It’s not like having your artworks claimed by a scraping program is a sign of recognition.

Some of the posters in this thread are crap.

BBS Signature

At 11/13/23 05:43 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:
It’s not like having your artworks claimed by a scraping program is a sign of recognition.

I don't think anyone deserves to have their artwork stolen and sold against their wishes, regardless of skill level. What makes you think this is about recognition instead of protecting our works?

At 11/13/23 05:49 PM, Zfert wrote:

I don't think anyone deserves to have their artwork stolen and sold against their wishes, regardless of skill level. What makes you think this is about recognition instead of protecting our works?

You’re a bit slow to start clutching your pearls now, buddy: your two posts in this thread are exclusively about not having any results on this scraping website.

BBS Signature

I think it’s that a lot of people like to joke that if their work gets stolen, it means it was viewed enough for the bot to pick it up, which doesn’t seem to be how these ones work. Some people even try to search themselves up out of curiosity. But that doesn’t seem to be what’s happening here.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

As much as I agree that art theft should be taken seriously, I do see where TurkeyonaStick is coming from.

With a lot of the screenshots that have been going in this thread I feel like people are forgetting this thread is more about awareness than it is showing screenshots of your work on there. Though then again I may be one to talk in that regard to by saying that alone.

At 11/13/23 03:35 PM, Bundeluxe wrote: Website hosted in China, huh? I think I have a solution

That and/or draw Disney characters fucking, wait for the bot to pick it up, and then report the sites to Disney.

BBS Signature

At 11/13/23 03:17 PM, PerKGrok wrote: @Thetageist Searching on my name some of your stuff was shown, and more when searching directly on your username. Just a heads up, so you know.

How do I do the thing to make it stop? I can’t seem to find my stuff on it at all.

BBS Signature

At 11/13/23 09:01 AM, BroSkullEmoji wrote:
Same here, and I don't even consider myself popular enough to get my art stealth.

Considering the IP thing, I'd rather not get in trouble, but I'll continue to spread abt this shitty ass website stealing my and other ppls art.

I’m an even smaller creator than you, would they even have mine? I’m in the states so I can’t really check

At 11/13/23 05:56 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

You’re a bit slow to start clutching your pearls now, buddy: your two posts in this thread are exclusively about not having any results on this scraping website.

My work is there? It's the first thing I said here. Not that that matters anyway, I'm kind of disappointed in your response. I asked a pretty straightforward question and you decided to come after me instead :/

At 11/13/23 06:00 PM, DioShiba wrote: As much as I agree that art theft should be taken seriously, I do see where TurkeyonaStick is coming from.

With a lot of the screenshots that have been going in this thread I feel like people are forgetting this thread is more about awareness than it is showing screenshots of your work on there. Though then again I may be one to talk in that regard to by saying that alone.

You want to send a group DMCA complaint, right? Would the first step not be to figure out who is affected so we can organize our complaint to the host service? I think what were doing right now is necessary, no?

At 11/13/23 06:13 PM, Zfert wrote:
At 11/13/23 06:00 PM, DioShiba wrote: As much as I agree that art theft should be taken seriously, I do see where TurkeyonaStick is coming from.

You want to send a group DMCA complaint, right? Would the first step not be to figure out who is affected so we can organize our complaint to the host service? I think what were doing right now is necessary, no?

I already have on my end for my work.

That said, each individual artist should be doing the same. I'm not sure why we need to keep posting the screenshots of the same site in this thread when what matters right now is pinpointing the proper host providers when we all know the situation is that their works are likely being stolen by these people, not just sharing proof with each other when it should really be sent to the appropriate parties.

At 11/13/23 06:23 PM, DioShiba wrote:
At 11/13/23 06:13 PM, Zfert wrote:

I already have on my end for my work.

That said, each individual artist should be doing the same. I'm not sure why we need to keep posting the screenshots of the same site in this thread when what matters right now is pinpointing the proper host providers when we all know the situation is that their works are likely being stolen by these people, not just sharing proof with each other when it should really be sent to the appropriate parties.

Yes, I agree. I didn't think it was necessary to post evidence of my own work being stolen. I don't think its necessary for others to post screenshots of their own work being stolen. However, we have non-Americans in here who can't access the site, I think it's important that we help them out by grabbing pictures if they can't!

At 11/13/23 06:12 PM, Zfert wrote:
At 11/13/23 05:56 PM, TurkeyOnAStick wrote:

My work is there? It's the first thing I said here. Not that that matters anyway, I'm kind of disappointed in your response. I asked a pretty straightforward question and you decided to come after me instead :/

I reckon the outrage people have about this website will evaporate when they find out nobody’s bought their artwork for $39.

BBS Signature