00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

qamar123 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

what's a game you like that other people dislike/consider bad?

1,564 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

in other words, what games do you like that might have a bad reputation but you personally enjoy? even if you think the game is bad to some degree you can look past those flaws and have fun playing it. i for one enjoy dirge of cerberus but other final fantasy fans dislike the game for varying reasons. i still think its a fun game and i love vincent valentine and the third person shooter angle it goes for. plus the soundtrack has a few standout tracks in it.

The Curse of Monkey Island.

There are quite a few people who love it, me included, but it does get ragged on a lot by “purists” just because the original director of the MI series wasn’t involved at all. Also a lot of people hate the art style, but I think it’s the best-looking game in the series.

Wacky characters and groovy patterns

BBS Signature

I gotta say Smash Bros Brawl! In the (mostly competitive) Smash community, Brawl is considered the weakest entry for being too “casual friendly”, having the dreaded tripping mechanic and having absolutely bogus characters like Meta Knight. Not the best game for tournaments. But for filthy casuals like me, it’s my favorite smash game! It has one of them best single player modes imaginable. Subspaces Emissary is fucking peak! Ya just can’t top that! I need to buy a wii to play that game again.

Wowie, this is fun!

BBS Signature

The Silent Hill games after the fourth.

I agree that they have their fair share of flaws and don't really live up to the original series, but I think that they have some strong points and are wrongfully shat on by the fanbase.

edit: except ascension

ascension can fuck off (but it's not even a game anyway..)

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

I like the current batch of Pokemon games. Save for BDSP.

The amount of people I've seen crying "this is inexcusable" to a screenshot or clip of nothing out of the ordinary happening and needing to play Where's Waldo to find what they're actually upset about, feels like a joke in and of itself.

I'm glad they never ported the OG pokemon games to Switch Online because I'm sure people would be raging over G1's iceberg of glitches without a hint of irony.

Give me cash and receive arts!

(thanks for the years of Lulu/Payne r34 my loyal dealers)

BBS Signature

Outside of the gaming community, I’ve found that not a lot of people appreciate old FPSes like Wolfenstein 3D and classic Doom. They do still kinda see them as being the purview of future school shooters, in a way. Like “why would you want to play a game about shooting a bunch of Nazis/demons? That’s just violence for its own sake.” In my case, it’s because I’m afraid to play modern FPSes due to my own low skill level, more realistic violence, the pitfalls of online gaming, or a combination of the three.

It’s kinda telling that one of the most popular games these days, Fortnite, is also just violence for its own sake, but wrapped up in a colorful and cartoony package with fandom crossovers and TikToker pandering.

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

At 11/8/23 08:06 PM, LittleLuckyLink wrote: The Silent Hill games after the fourth.
I agree that they have their fair share of flaws and don't really live up to the original series, but I think that they have some strong points and are wrongfully shat on by the fanbase.

i've only just started getting into silent hill after finishing the first game twice now but it really amazes me how the fans really only seem to care for the 2nd and 3rd game and just unabashedly hate every entry after that. ive yet to play the rest of the series but from an outsider perspective it just seems like people wanted every silent hill game to be sh2. and thats not in a quality way either i think they just want the same experience as playing 2 but with a different skin draped over it. this remake of sh2 could give the fans everything they ever wanted and theyd still be unhappy with it because it will never live up to their memory of playing the game, or at this point watching gameplay of it because its so hard to access nowadays.

The elder scrolls/fallout games made by Bethesda (excluding horseshit 76). One of my friends kept running into bugs when he tried to play Skyrim on his PS3 a long time ago and now he has this weird notion that regardless of what system you play any Bethesda game it, it's gonna have the same bugs. So he completely writes off any elder scrolls or fallout game because he thinks it's gonna be more glitchy bullshit. I play those games exclusively on PC to avoid that (and because of the awesome mods) be he hates those games as a whole. Come elder scrolls 6 or fallout 5. He's not gonna touch em because Bethesda made it.

At 11/9/23 02:58 PM, Magnedeus wrote: The elder scrolls/fallout games made by Bethesda (excluding horseshit 76). One of my friends kept running into bugs when he tried to play Skyrim on his PS3 a long time ago and now he has this weird notion that regardless of what system you play any Bethesda game it, it's gonna have the same bugs. So he completely writes off any elder scrolls or fallout game because he thinks it's gonna be more glitchy bullshit. I play those games exclusively on PC to avoid that (and because of the awesome mods) be he hates those games as a whole. Come elder scrolls 6 or fallout 5. He's not gonna touch em because Bethesda made it.

in fairness to him though, those games are janky as hell regardless of the platform theyre on. i played skyrim on the 360 and i thought it was boring. fonv was a good time, 3 was not, and 4 is just miserable. morrowind is fine for what it is but ive also completely written off bethesda games as only being saved by the modding community.

At 11/9/23 11:17 AM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote:
At 11/8/23 08:06 PM, LittleLuckyLink wrote: The Silent Hill games after the fourth.

i've only just started getting into silent hill after finishing the first game twice now but it really amazes me how the fans really only seem to care for the 2nd and 3rd game and just unabashedly hate every entry after that. ive yet to play the rest of the series but from an outsider perspective it just seems like people wanted every silent hill game to be sh2. and thats not in a quality way either i think they just want the same experience as playing 2 but with a different skin draped over it. this remake of sh2 could give the fans everything they ever wanted and theyd still be unhappy with it because it will never live up to their memory of playing the game, or at this point watching gameplay of it because its so hard to access nowadays.

Because it was Team Silent who made SH 1-4. And then after 4 is when then series started to flop.

Team Silent was ultimately disbanded by Konami itself, because Konami wanted western developers to make the games. Which imo was a dumbass move on Konami's end.

Homecoming was shit.

Origins was shit.

Shattered memories was shit.

Book of memories was shit.

And downpour was shit.

And we were gonna get Silent hills but Konami said "fuck the fans" and cancelled it because pachinko is a bigger money maker.

It was Team Silent that made the games good and since they're gone i have no doubt they're gonna fuck up the SH2 remake.

At 11/9/23 03:15 PM, Magnedeus wrote:
At 11/9/23 11:17 AM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote:

Because it was Team Silent who made SH 1-4. And then after 4 is when then series started to flop.

Team Silent was ultimately disbanded by Konami itself, because Konami wanted western developers to make the games. Which imo was a dumbass move on Konami's end.

Homecoming was shit.

Origins was shit.

Shattered memories was shit.

Book of memories was shit.

And downpour was shit.

And we were gonna get Silent hills but Konami said "fuck the fans" and cancelled it because pachinko is a bigger money maker.

It was Team Silent that made the games good and since they're gone i have no doubt they're gonna fuck up the SH2 remake.

im aware of team silent

Sigh

iu_1111220_8460620.webp

iu_1111221_8460620.webp

I love the Hello Neighbor games (except Hello Engineer). I don't really know why exactly but they are some of my favorite indie games. The idea of breaking in to your neighbor's house and doing puzzles there while being stealthy is simply really fun to me. Hello Neighbor 2 is starting to be at that point with the amount of updates that it actually is good to be stealthy rather than just run through the house which I'm very happy about.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

Deus Ex 2. I think I was only person in whole Deus Ex history to like it as well play it several-several times. It is so disliked by fans that, when I posted fan art, then google and DDG both revealed absolutely 0 other fan images other than the 3 I did. :P

Sonic Forces was fun. It's got it's flaws, but it made me happy during a shitty time in my life so I'll always have a soft spot for it.

BBS Signature

At 11/9/23 03:40 PM, aapiarts wrote: Sigh

I love the Hello Neighbor games (except Hello Engineer). I don't really know why exactly but they are some of my favorite indie games. The idea of breaking in to your neighbor's house and doing puzzles there while being stealthy is simply really fun to me. Hello Neighbor 2 is starting to be at that point with the amount of updates that it actually is good to be stealthy rather than just run through the house which I'm very happy about.

Now that you mention it, Hello Neighbor as a concept is like a reverse escape room. You solve puzzles to get in to somewhere rather than out. That and the AI made for a really promising game concept. I hope more developers pick up the concept even though a lot of people don’t like Hello Neighbor itself.

BBS Signature

At 11/9/23 06:50 PM, Thetageist wrote:

Now that you mention it, Hello Neighbor as a concept is like a reverse escape room. You solve puzzles to get in to somewhere rather than out. That and the AI made for a really promising game concept. I hope more developers pick up the concept even though a lot of people don’t like Hello Neighbor itself.

Would be cool to see similar games that aren't part of the Hello Neighbor franchise. Breaking in to a neighbor's house is a really cool idea and the first Hello Neighbor game did it horribly, Hello Neighbor 2 did it fine though.

Look at him spin

BBS Signature

At 11/9/23 11:26 PM, aapiarts wrote:
At 11/9/23 06:50 PM, Thetageist wrote:

Would be cool to see similar games that aren't part of the Hello Neighbor franchise. Breaking in to a neighbor's house is a really cool idea and the first Hello Neighbor game did it horribly, Hello Neighbor 2 did it fine though.

What if there was a game that was like SCP Containment Breach in reverse? Instead of being an employee who has to escape, you’re some rando/news journalist/would-be whistleblower trying to get into the facility to capture evidence of the SCPs’ existence. And you’d have to deal with both the security and the monsters themselves. That’d be fun.

BBS Signature

Tekken tag tournament. I just now found out that apparently it or its sequel weren't the most popular Tekken games. But I love em. Especially the first one. Some of my best PS2 memories.

im a chickenwing extremist

BBS Signature

Geometry Dash, some people say they don't like it because it is "too hard" Geometry Dash is a game about resiliency, you keep trying again and again until you get it and over time that maps that were challenging get easier for you. My personal hardest is Dear Nostalgists.

Luigis Mansions dark moon was really fun and i feel that the level by level progression does seem lame compared to the key hunting of the original but it had fun mechanics and had really creative mansions

i believe in you, and dont you forget that baby girl

BBS Signature

kya dark lineage random ps2 game that is kinda terrible but i love it

Tactical Intervention. Made by the guy that made Counter-Strike, it's the dumbest fucking shit ever, but it's ridiculously fun to have janky-ass multiplayer Source car physics chases and doing first-person blind-firing and combat rolls. Take everything tight and precise about CS and just replace it bunch of novel gimmicks like human shields and rappelling and chucking fire extinguishers and dogs. Incredible. It just did not give a shit about being a practical game in any sense and I admire it for that.

BBS Signature

Imma die on this bloody hill, deffending the best Spiderman game ever made: 'Bionic Commando (2009)'.

It gets fairly shit on for having a stupid story-line. But unfairly shat on for being linear, quickly explained: its not open world, the game plays out mostly, in a nuked city, so on the edges of every stage, you have these blue clouds, and you die if you get too deep into these radiation clouds.

And the argument against this goes: the game doesn't reward exploration, but punishes it instead.

But the game doesn't need any exploration, you're in a dead, nuked city, fighting hazmat-suited-terrorists, lead by this cyborg Hitler dude. There is no point in exploring every nook and cranny of a city that has been bombed into smithereens.

And not all games need exploration. The classic Mario Bros games didn't need it, all the fun was in running, jumping around to reach the finnish, and you have your freedom in how you deal with the obstacles in your way, with the gameplay you're given. And that gameplay in Bionic Commando, is one of the very finest in a 3D-platformer/3rd-person shooter (in my opinion, cannot name a game that's simply that much fun, for just using your basic movement options to move around with).

And it wasn't made by a massive AAA studio l, with a gazillion dollar budget. So I'm very happy that most of the effort and budget, went into pollishing how the game actually plays.

And the way that gameplay works, is how every single spiderman game today SHOULD play, but not a single one out there does: letting you be in controll of the web-slinging, aiming at yout surroundings, and making all the swings yourself. Not by just pressing a button, then seeing your character automatically swing/fly around for you.

I want to see a sequel to that game, or some mods with new levels so badly.

But the studio that made it went bankrupt, soon after releasing that game. Capcom doesn't give a fraction of a f*ck about the franchise. And it was made in a very obscure game-engine, so very small likelyhood of ever seeing some big ambitious mods, any time soon, if ever.

At 11/8/23 03:42 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: in other words, what games do you like that might have a bad reputation but you personally enjoy? even if you think the game is bad to some degree you can look past those flaws and have fun playing it. i for one enjoy dirge of cerberus but other final fantasy fans dislike the game for varying reasons. i still think its a fun game and i love vincent valentine and the third person shooter angle it goes for. plus the soundtrack has a few standout tracks in it.

Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

my bro flippen hates this game because he sucks at it

r2ds

Call of Duty Ghosts.

Been around since 2004. (as a lurker that is!)

DOTAAAAAA

i love dota.

Some nut hated Sonic Adventure 2 Battle; but I LUVVIT!

Like, years ago.. I read a review for it before buying and the guy hated the: Music, Knuckles and the Camera.. All of which didn't negatively impact gameplay at all...

Maybe the guy just hated life itself?

BBS Signature

At 11/12/23 11:27 AM, CrosEl wrote: Some nut hated Sonic Adventure 2 Battle; but I LUVVIT!
Like, years ago.. I read a review for it before buying and the guy hated the: Music, Knuckles and the Camera.. All of which didn't negatively impact gameplay at all...

Maybe the guy just hated life itself?

I mean to be fair some people really did hate the treasure hunting stages due to the cryptic hints and unusual spot they hid the shards. I knew someone in grade school who never beat SA2 battle because of that and he didn't do knuckles story in SA because he'd have to do treasure hunting.

At 11/8/23 03:42 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: in other words, what games do you like that might have a bad reputation but you personally enjoy? even if you think the game is bad to some degree you can look past those flaws and have fun playing it. i for one enjoy dirge of cerberus but other final fantasy fans dislike the game for varying reasons. i still think its a fun game and i love vincent valentine and the third person shooter angle it goes for. plus the soundtrack has a few standout tracks in it.

Digimon World was a classic and really underrated comfy gaming to watch. I can excuse whatever weird translation or odd game design it had for how charming it was.

Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. I won't act like it's perfect, but I find it so drastically overhated that it's actually insane. Sonic is actually a ton of fun to play as, especially with his unlockable gem things, Shadow and Silver's stories are incredibly well done, the visuals (especially the CG) are still amazing, and the soundtrack is one of the absolute best in the entire franchise, and considering how many bangers the series has that's saying something

Stalk me on the internet!

Like on Youtube, or Twitch, or Bluesky!