00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Kenjo12345 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

what's a game you like that other people dislike/consider bad?

1,565 Views | 83 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I think it's The Legend of Spyro Trilogy (Spyro: A New Beginning // Eternal Darkness // Dawn of Dragon). Some critics that I read are the combat system are bad, most elemental skill are useless, too hard (especially form Spyro Eternal Darkness), and other that I don't remember. Which is valid tho, It's not a perfect game and I too recognize the flaws.

Still, I love Spyro to this day. From The Legend series and from the OG/ PS1 Spyro.

(Didn't play Skylander Spyro so can't comment on that)

At 11/12/23 10:58 PM, Digsawarts wrote:
At 11/8/23 03:42 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: in other words, what games do you like that might have a bad reputation but you personally enjoy? even if you think the game is bad to some degree you can look past those flaws and have fun playing it. i for one enjoy dirge of cerberus but other final fantasy fans dislike the game for varying reasons. i still think its a fun game and i love vincent valentine and the third person shooter angle it goes for. plus the soundtrack has a few standout tracks in it.
Digimon World was a classic and really underrated comfy gaming to watch. I can excuse whatever weird translation or odd game design it had for how charming it was.

DW1 isn't? I love DW1 too. Actually when I was a kid, I love DW3 and hate DW1 because I always get Numemon.

But after I replaying it on emulator.. DW1 wasn't that bad.

I understand and agree with most of the criticism of Dark Souls 2, but I still think it's a cool game. By virtue of being so strange with some of its mechanics and choices, it feels more fresh going back to it than DS3, even though I consider the latter to be an objectively better game.

My brothers and I also got lots of Numemon but one day we got a Meramon and Tiranomon, then searching on internet helped us a lil too; we also got stuck in the invisible bridge too since we didn't know english and our child brains weren't that smart anyways haha

But eventually we managed to finish it, i also like dw3 thou i heard it has some serious backtracking + high enemy encounter rate (we didn't care for it back then), the card game was super fun thou!

Idk if this is common with other people but my friend group hates this game. I really like sonic unleashed, the day time parts of the game have the best stages in the series and the night time parts are really fun too.

At 11/13/23 08:20 AM, Binkx4044 wrote: night time parts are really fun too.

The night time parts are the main reason lots of people hated it. You went from speeding through stages during the the day and beat em up at night. And when you hear "Sonic" you don't go from hi-speed gameplay to slow lethargic beat em up. That's why it had mixed reviews.

Pokemon Violet. It has it's bugs and performance issues but I can't help but love it and consider it one of my favorite mainline pokemon games along with ultra sun. Plus it gave us Tinkaton.

Dead Space 3.

Basically all the criticism that I heard of this game is that DS3 was more action horror in a series that was action horror to begin with, even if the first game was more horror than action to some extent.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature

Reversed example: Sonic.eyx. Kinda wish for a thread that's basically "what's a game YOU HATE but other people like/consider good." but maybe someone has done that? I don't know.

Because of how utterly shit the creepypasta Sonic.exe is, I have suspected of this syndrome going around .exe media and I'll call it the ".exe" syndrome. You see, because of what I've said, this makes people want to be determined enough make a better version of the copypasta. While I get they care about the creepypasta, the problem is that how they make said version, in which it's either okay or trash and worse than the original creepypasta. Sonic.eyx happens to be in the latter so much.

Now I'm not saying because Sonic fans have shitty tastes, I don't get the complaints about Sonic Unleashed's Night time segments because it just doesn't make sense anyway, it's more a bit in-line with Adventures in terms of how varied gameplay it is. Sure, it's not really an Adventure and there's no Chao Garden, but why should it get slack for doing something that's been done before in a new way, like Sonic the Fighters? I get some praise for the game, mainly in the programming, because yeah, it's spooky that the game can dart to certain positions. But the problem is that Sonic.eyx BARELY feels scary or at least gruesome, and no, having characters being murdered with all that gore and blood even qualifies. Maybe I'm so desensitized because Gmod or perhaps in a following issue...

Horror fatigue. Basically the same concept as shock fatigue, wink wink Media Mementos, but basically it's when the abundance of horror causes the lack of emotional response due to how predictable it becomes. One common problem with .exe games is that how predictable it is and often to advance, you go to a certain direction and Sonic.eyx falls into said pit fall. Sure, the scene of seeing Sonic's dead body floating is scary to some degree and unpredictable without having to see him go drown first, but it gives a bad taste of "Why can't the game do that consistently?" Hell, I think this explains why I don't find the whole game to be scary, because something like a window suddenly moving into random places WOULD be scary, but it's brought down because of it or that I like computer viruses like memz.exe or watch a lot of Danooct1 videos.

Sonic.eyx will never be the "evolution of Sonic.exe" games because it's in a sub-genre in creepypasta gaming that is inconsistently devolving or stagnant. And this is coming from a guy who did like Sonic.exe back when it was exploding like hot shit. I honestly prefer Sonic.exe: The Spirits of Hell (Round 1) over Sonic.eyx in terms of gameplay, because sure, it's an .exe game, but it differs because of the storytelling. Sure, you may say saving the characters is wishful thinking, but I like how it doesn't need to use cutscenes just for the story to work, it's based on your failure AND successes that determines whether they'll survive or not. Sonic.exe games don't do that, because they sacrifice the gameplay and/or the story for the horror. TSoH doesn't because while Classic Sonic games aren't known for story, the gameplay is the key. Tails' section is hide and seek, the way to progress is either by sneaking around or making the mad dash to the rockets. Having Sonic finding you IS a risk and him catching Tails means he's DEAD. In Knuckle's case, this is by the red rings. Because walls are blocked off, they can only be opened if you're under the red rings, but that makes you vulnerable to be caught by Sonic. While Eggman's section doesn't have this, it still have a timer that is crucial to getting one of the endings. Failure to get to Point B before the timer strucks 0 penalizes you with Eggman being killed off and even if you do get there before said condition, you're not out of the woods yet. Sure, the VA isn't exactly great and neither is the story, but you can bare with it and that can be helped by how endings you can get in the game. There's 8 of them and not every one of them are similar to each other.

Shadow the Hedgehog

Not gonna lie, it's super tedious to get the true ending, specially for how repetitive the missions are, but at some extent it's fun to play and enjoyable, at least that's what i feel personally

The goofy ahh penguin, creator of Deep Sea Prisoner! ;D

BBS Signature

Prison break, 24, Lost, Pirates of thr Caribbean 1, basically bad tie in games of stuff I really liked

BBS Signature

I will defend Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts with my life!

Crazy? I was crazy once.

BBS Signature

ppl shit on fire emblem fates' bad plot but get real, who the hell plays an fe game for the story? (well. arguably 3h fans do but like, i feel like plots that heavy are something new to the series and not rly part of the core appeal) while birthright didnt have great maps or anything fe fates conquest has the most genuinely fun and interesting map design of any fe game ive played to date, not to mention the UI design and soundtrack are both also probably the series best

Shadow the hedgehog is honestly a fine game, I wish more people liked it

BBS Signature

At 11/8/23 03:42 PM, jasonthecosmonaut wrote: in other words, what games do you like that might have a bad reputation but you personally enjoy? even if you think the game is bad to some degree you can look past those flaws and have fun playing it. i for one enjoy dirge of cerberus but other final fantasy fans dislike the game for varying reasons. i still think its a fun game and i love vincent valentine and the third person shooter angle it goes for. plus the soundtrack has a few standout tracks in it.

I think my pick would be Harvest Moon: Another Wonderful Life

💖🌈A Quirky Artist & Creator with a Rainbow of Interests!🌈💖

BBS Signature

At 11/14/23 09:11 PM, smashbrethren wrote: ppl shit on fire emblem fates' bad plot but get real, who the hell plays an fe game for the story? (well. arguably 3h fans do but like, i feel like plots that heavy are something new to the series and not rly part of the core appeal) while birthright didnt have great maps or anything fe fates conquest has the most genuinely fun and interesting map design of any fe game ive played to date, not to mention the UI design and soundtrack are both also probably the series best

i will always maintain that story in games only matters for visual novels, rpgs, and point and click games to a degree. yeah plenty ofrpgs can be enjoyed just fine without caring too much for the story but aside from that its a very narrow set of genres where the story actually means anything for a video game

Sonic Battle for the GBA. The sprite work is amazing, the music is legendary for the sound chip being used, the story is honestly the most gripping out of any Sonic game ever in my opinion, the gameplay is even good, but the game can drag on with artificial lengthening and thus doing so, makes the limited environments in the game and gameplay just kinda feel like a chore at times. You kinda have to bullshit your way through the beginning by spamming moves to get past the first chapter due to how shitty they start you off with "Emerl" (The main character of Sonic Battle)

Listen to my latest video game music release! Windup & Pitch! If you wish! :)

BBS Signature

Halo 5 guardians. Idk, I had a lot of fun with it when it was still played, and I had many fun moments and I found many fun people on there. The campaign sucked ass, don't get me wrong, but the multiplayer was a lot of fun.

If you read this, you get a virtual cookie

BBS Signature

At 11/12/23 11:03 AM, robotman5 wrote: Call of Duty Ghosts.

The multiplayer maps on that game were super creative ngl. very dynamic and fun

If you read this, you get a virtual cookie

BBS Signature

i still don't get why people hate bubsy so much, just saying

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

At 11/14/23 09:11 PM, smashbrethren wrote: ppl shit on fire emblem fates' bad plot but get real, who the hell plays an fe game for the story? (well. arguably 3h fans do but like, i feel like plots that heavy are something new to the series and not rly part of the core appeal) while birthright didnt have great maps or anything fe fates conquest has the most genuinely fun and interesting map design of any fe game ive played to date, not to mention the UI design and soundtrack are both also probably the series best

I like the FE games too and i personally don't really care about plot too much unless it's some really deep that piques my interest. Also I might get hate from other FE fans saying this but 3H sucked imo. That game wasn't doing it for me and Nintendo is fucked if they think I'm playing it 3 times to get all 3 stories for the full experience. I will still enjoy FE, but the games have basically turned into a waifu simulator.

phantom forces, a fps roblox game I played a lot

Final Fantasy 8: The Best card game with a good JRPG attached, too many people don't seem to realise how good this card game is and write it off as not worth playing. The JRPG is good too and no the junction mechanic isn't hard to learn, the tutorial was straight forward to understand as a child new to RPGs, so adults really don't have an excuse

Final Fantay 13: The "it plays itself" bandwagon complaint from idiots who didn't understand the game ruined it in the eyes of most people who didn't give it the respect it deserved. Paradigm shifting is a risk vs reward system that rewards people who DONT act like "it plays itself" and instead learn how to shift between them at the right moments to push as much damage as possible with as little healing as needed. Sure you COULD spend 45 minutes on a boss fight with a tank / healer / dps combo and just click auto battle OR you could spend 4 minutes on the same boss fight by taking risks and pushing your damage and debuffs as far as they will go while doing the bare minimum to keep yourself alive... I take it I don't need to say which of those 2 playstyles makes the game more fun.

Fallout 4 is a great game endlessly ridiculed by stupid arguments that hide actual criticisms behind a torrent of whining shit. The complaints range from such amazing things as "it's not an RPG" because they replaced the outdated skill system that was shit (26-49 in lockpicking / science being LITERALLY WORTHLESS etc.) with the perk system that just gave you the full effect of a level without needing to do things like only give half your skill points to lockpicking for a few levels to finally reach a breakpoint where its useful. How is that shit system an RPG but making it not shit suddenly not?

Then of course there's the lore "problems", you want to know how they complained about lore inconsistencies? Did they just point them out jokingly since its clearly not a problem if Bethesda used a specific variety of power armour in promotional material because it looked cooler? No, they threw their dicks around and claimed Myron invented Jet, instantly destroying one of the only actual good parts of Fallout 2 by hiding it under a torrent of videos whining about how "MYRON INVENTED JET FALLOUT 2 SAID SO BETHESDA DUMB!" Meanwhile if you actually play Fallout 2 and actually bother to talk to Myron you would learn that not only is that bullshit as with enough intelligence you can get him to admit he merely "re-invented Jet" but there is a roughly 8 minute long fully voiced discussion you can have with Myron about genetically modified food in the pre-war world and how it effected the wildlife which lead to different types of drugs being attempted which ended up with mushrooms being eaten by cattle becoming the basis of jet in the pre-war world. This discussion with Myron and how he explains all the different types of drugs and their problems from the view of a drug inventor is INCREDIBLY INTERESTING yet does anyone talk about that? No, the only think they talk about it "lol Myron invented Jet" which is not only wrong but it hides one of the best discussions in all of Fallout. For some reason people who claim to love Fallout 2 have no problem ignoring all of that just to hate on a game they don't like.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.

Youtube, Twitch: Mostly games

BBS Signature

Candy Crush Jelly.

Daikatana.

The worst parts of the game are tragically the first three levels, the gorgon boss, and the final boss. The rest of the game is comical at worst and competent but nothing amazing at best.

gorp

BBS Signature

CoD black ops cold war. I understand why people dislike it but I still managed to have some fun while playing it

Dark souls 2 because I think its a god tier as a co-op game with a long campaign.

Tears of the kingdom because I think the lore people are losing hope for is there, but is actually more dark souls tier than they like. (bruh, u can't tell me OOT Ganondorf isn't wearing a zonai necklace. LOOK AT IT! lol)

Skyrim. Yeah its old, but its cozy cmon now. It's hard to find games that let you merchant and lvl up in town doing stuff instead of just battle battle battle.

Everyone is an artist, if you've ever made art, you're an artist! :D

check out my comic here! or my silly joke one here!

BBS Signature

At 11/12/23 11:09 PM, SaturnWolf wrote: Sonic the Hedgehog 2006. I won't act like it's perfect, but I find it so drastically overhated that it's actually insane. Sonic is actually a ton of fun to play as, especially with his unlockable gem things, Shadow and Silver's stories are incredibly well done, the visuals (especially the CG) are still amazing, and the soundtrack is one of the absolute best in the entire franchise, and considering how many bangers the series has that's saying something

I'm so happy P-06 is bringing back the hype I had for the game when it came out. It really almost was SA3

Everyone is an artist, if you've ever made art, you're an artist! :D

check out my comic here! or my silly joke one here!

BBS Signature

Shadow the Hedgehog game. Have I mentioned it in a similar topic already?

BBS Signature

iu_1123071_9481129.png

Jk its sonic 3d blast