00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

GreenNakamuraGPC just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

What media do you think your art style gets inspiration from?

1,102 Views | 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

I find myself often studying and admiring the 90's Moomin anime, though my art style tends to change pretty frequently so I'm not really sure if there's a single piece of media that my art style derives from but rather me picking little bits and pieces from anything that I like. It's a weird little mix of stuff.

iu_1161260_18478846.webp

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature

Newgrounds..? google.com/images…? Summarisation of the past?

idk. But I really surfed Newgrounds and other resources to find out some interesting ways of how to do something. Oh, lets be honest, I’m also so lazy…

gg

BBS Signature

At 10/3/23 07:51 AM, GhostedGary wrote: For me the answer is a little weird because if I'm drawing fanart I try to make the art match more with the artstyle with the original media (most of the time). But for personal art I think my artstyle is if Soddiken and marvel comics had an incomprehensible horror baby.
Wbu guys?

def Cartoon network cirka 2000's

particularly the action shows such as ben 10, secret saturdays, teen titans, ect.

It's semi realism with great color palettes and I JUST LOVE THE WAY THEY SHADE METAL AND HAIR OH MY GOD

iu_1168186_7613264.webp

But also an important note is styles like Adventure time and Scott Pilgrim. their way around color and simplified shapes and MOST IMPORTANTLY the way they draw simple yet expressive faces just seems most appealing to me.

iu_1168187_7613264.webp

I can only show like two images, so you'd have to search for other examples or wait till I buy supporter priviliges lol.

BBS Signature

Regular show

BBS Signature

My art style gets inspiration from a lot of things. Some examples would be Jay Ward, Hanna Barbera, Don Martin, Tex Avery, Total Television (the company behind Underdog and Tennessee Tuxedo), UPA, Dr. Seuss, Basil Wolverton, and many, many others.

It's a bird! It's a plane! It's a frog!

BBS Signature

I get inspiration from everywhere. Like early Newgrounds content like Thing Thing, Dad’s Home, and Morelikeblue, Stick fights, Wink, Crunch Down, the list goes on.

I also take inspiration from Nintendo’s franchises as well like Kirby, Mario, a Pokémon, and Super Smash Brothers.

Other than that there’s Mega man, Sanrio, Sonic, and Pac Man.

I can’t really say I have only one single style, it’s more like twenty.

I make comics checkout my Shuttle Switcher comic series ! And Ghost Galaxy as well!

BBS Signature

At 10/3/23 07:51 AM, GhostedGary wrote: For me the answer is a little weird because if I'm drawing fanart I try to make the art match more with the artstyle with the original media (most of the time). But for personal art I think my artstyle is if Soddiken and marvel comics had an incomprehensible horror baby.
Wbu guys?

I'm heavily inspired by Govy9807 and Bonedustuff, I'm really digging the simplistic/cartoony style.

But what do I know... I'm just a frog, after all. 🐸

Mostly Sonic, but i wanted to move away from that and I kinda just gave up on drawing. A certain someone would whine about it anyways.

delphox and zoroark are milfy lesbians

At 3/14/24 09:06 PM, KrisKagura wrote: Mostly Sonic, but i wanted to move away from that and I kinda just gave up on drawing. A certain someone would whine about it anyways.

Sorry to hear someone’s demotivated you!

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

This is tough!

I was raised with the Most Quality entertainment and that usually included puppets. (i did have some muppet tapes but those.. got me too excited and i managed to kick in like 3 tvs lmao)

It's interesting, because i don't really see that affecting my art style. because. well. puppets.

I have asked this question to others before and they've drawn a blank, but truly with nothing being new under the sun, there has to be some inspiration, right?

AT the very least, a lot of what got me to take drawing seriously was Ko Takeuchi. I don't think my art resembles his too much but it got me to enjoy artwork again so. yeah.

Don't take me seriously :33

BBS Signature

Engravings and cartoons

boobs

Forg

I've been reading the Ultraman manga recently. It's made me take a step back and re-evaluate how I draw my things.

iu_1176889_8530432.png

BBS Signature

Well as a kid it was def Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Ben 10 but when i got into Highschool and discovered anime i didnt really feel like following the crowd of watching the 2000s and early 2010s moe-blob stuff, so i went back into other people nostalgia.

I watched YuYu Hakusho and Runouri Kenshin as well as discovering Wakfu which was a huge artistic inspiration. Then while in Uni i started to think on the character ideas i had in Highschool and how i would write a comic if i were to make one. Since i want the art to inform the story i started looking at Berzerk, One Piece and JoJos Bizzare Adventure for inspiration.

Now i feel like a big ol blending pot and not like any one thing is my inspiration.

No fear. No pain.

I would say traditional animation is my gateway to trying to learn to draw.

At 3/18/24 05:06 AM, Awd91 wrote: Well as a kid it was def Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Ben 10 but when i got into Highschool and discovered anime i didnt really feel like following the crowd of watching the 2000s and early 2010s moe-blob stuff, so i went back into other people nostalgia.

I watched YuYu Hakusho and Runouri Kenshin as well as discovering Wakfu which was a huge artistic inspiration. Then while in Uni i started to think on the character ideas i had in Highschool and how i would write a comic if i were to make one. Since i want the art to inform the story i started looking at Berzerk, One Piece and JoJos Bizzare Adventure for inspiration.

Now i feel like a big ol blending pot and not like any one thing is my inspiration.

Consider you’ve drawn quite a bit of horror art for me, obligatory question: Have you discovered the works of Junji Ito yet?

Someone please help me revive my clubs

BBS Signature

At 3/20/24 09:02 PM, Thetageist wrote:
At 3/18/24 05:06 AM, Awd91 wrote: Well as a kid it was def Digimon, Yu-Gi-Oh and Ben 10 but when i got into Highschool and discovered anime i didnt really feel like following the crowd of watching the 2000s and early 2010s moe-blob stuff, so i went back into other people nostalgia.

Consider you’ve drawn quite a bit of horror art for me, obligatory question: Have you discovered the works of Junji Ito yet?

I Friggen Love Ito's work. I recently borrowed/read all of his collections when a friend was in town. Big big inspiration for all horror endeavors :D

No fear. No pain.

beefydie o_o

I HAVE NO IDEA

I dont know man, what else do you expect from me?