00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Echo6261 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Dear GD creators

331 Views | 5 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Dear GD creators 2023-09-10 15:29:21

It’s about time some of you actually checked NG for your music, looked at someone else besides Creo and everyone with 500+ fans. There is a lot of talent here in the audio portal! You have just have to look for it. GD is a great way for good music to be heard, and I think that creators should help promote musicians with a smaller fan base a bit more. Plus, it would really help with the overall song variety of GD levels.

By the way, you guys are awesome, don’t stop creating!

you guys like my tunes?

BBS Signature

Response to Dear GD creators 2023-09-10 16:58:52

At 9/10/23 03:29 PM, underscore8298 wrote: It’s about time some of you actually checked NG for your music, looked at someone else besides Creo and everyone with 500+ fans. There is a lot of talent here in the audio portal! You have just have to look for it.

Ah there's the rub! A lot of GD users have no idea what Newgrounds is (a lot of them actually posted Creo's work back in the day) and don't have a lot of exposure to music beyond NCS sounds or mainstream artists.

There's a lot of audio on NG, and some, or even most, is mid, due to the nature of NG as a user created content site. Most of us are figuring out how to produce music, aren't signed or otherwise professionals, so when it comes to competing with known artists who are good at what they do, can you blame them for not sifting through all the chaff? They come to NG more often than not because they know a few artists who submit here, or they want to make a level to a song they already know.

Maybe things will get better when we have a more complex search/tag/genre system, so they can find what they like. As is, folks are submitting Dance bangers to Misc and doing whatever they feel like.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Dear GD creators 2023-09-10 17:08:15

At 9/10/23 04:58 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 9/10/23 03:29 PM, underscore8298 wrote: It’s about time some of you actually checked NG for your music, looked at someone else besides Creo and everyone with 500+ fans. There is a lot of talent here in the audio portal! You have just have to look for it.
Ah there's the rub! A lot of GD users have no idea what Newgrounds is (a lot of them actually posted Creo's work back in the day) and don't have a lot of exposure to music beyond NCS sounds or mainstream artists.

There's a lot of audio on NG, and some, or even most, is mid, due to the nature of NG as a user created content site. Most of us are figuring out how to produce music, aren't signed or otherwise professionals, so when it comes to competing with known artists who are good at what they do, can you blame them for not sifting through all the chaff? They come to NG more often than not because they know a few artists who submit here, or they want to make a level to a song they already know.

Maybe things will get better when we have a more complex search/tag/genre system, so they can find what they like. As is, folks are submitting Dance bangers to Misc and doing whatever they feel like.

RubRub :0

Yeah, I just think that with all the time spent creating, there could be some time spent just checking the NG frontpage, or maybe we could have a thread here full of song suggestions for creators? One problem with NG is that it can be pretty difficult to find new artists. I don’t know how that can really be fixed, though.

Im fine with the game as is. But I do think it could be made a lot better if creators spent more time looking for music. Just an hour or two would probably get it done!

Just an idea, I know that no creators will see this probably, just putting it out there.

you guys like my tunes?

BBS Signature

Response to Dear GD creators 2023-09-10 18:10:13

At 9/10/23 05:08 PM, underscore8298 wrote: Im fine with the game as is. But I do think it could be made a lot better if creators spent more time looking for music. Just an hour or two would probably get it done!
Just an idea, I know that no creators will see this probably, just putting it out there.

Right?! Everyone goes for the same few songs or looks to hack the game and put copyrighted music on it, that is if they don't upload it straight to NG and get caught by the algorithm. Users work hard to get scouted, and harder to get whitelisted these days.

If anyone wants to use my music for GD speaking of, go ahead. I'll feature your level on my track page :)

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to Dear GD creators 2023-09-10 18:20:52

At 9/10/23 06:10 PM, ADR3-N wrote:
At 9/10/23 05:08 PM, underscore8298 wrote: Im fine with the game as is. But I do think it could be made a lot better if creators spent more time looking for music. Just an hour or two would probably get it done!
Right?! Everyone goes for the same few songs or looks to hack the game and put copyrighted music on it, that is if they don't upload it straight to NG and get caught by the algorithm. Users work hard to get scouted, and harder to get whitelisted these days.

If anyone wants to use my music for GD speaking of, go ahead. I'll feature your level on my track page :)

Looking at this, I want to preface this by saying that I agree with you both.

The problem at hand appears to be the same as the problem we had back in 2016 and before when audio theft happened en masse on NG, and that is: people don't want to discover new things, and they don't care to. Visibility and lightning in a bottle means that someone's talent is justified and so, anyone with two- or three-digit numbers of followers can often get neglected. RobTop's stated intention was to get people to discover original music on NG. What did they do instead? They stole a bunch of popular, copyrighted songs and used them in the game, leading to the DMCA takedown.

What are people doing today? Some are doing that same thing on the desktop version, granted, but many are perpetuating the same problem by gravitating to the usual suspects on NG.

Now granted, this doesn't apply wholesale to the GD community as we've seen growing numbers of the userbase who 1) have taken interest in making music, 2) have taken an interest in others' music, and 3) have taken interest in the community on NG. This seems to align with the tendencies of the indie, video game, and digital fusion scenes at least. But this is still not reflective of the wider tendency that we're seeing.

And as it stands, I have no solutions or mitigations to offer; this is something that someone with more foresight than I would be better equipped to do. All I can offer is insight into what seems to be the case currently.

Response to Dear GD creators 2023-09-21 03:10:53

At 9/10/23 03:29 PM, underscore8298 wrote: It’s about time some of you actually checked NG for your music, looked at someone else besides Creo and everyone with 500+ fans. There is a lot of talent here in the audio portal! You have just have to look for it. GD is a great way for good music to be heard, and I think that creators should help promote musicians with a smaller fan base a bit more. Plus, it would really help with the overall song variety of GD levels.
By the way, you guys are awesome, don’t stop creating!

You said it best