00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Tdpreston just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Podcasts?

282 Views | 9 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Podcasts? 2023-07-06 12:15:56

Hey! I saw some comments from like 8-12 years ago about podcasts on here. People seem to have posted some and people seem to be in favor of it but I don't want stuff on here that is too large for the site to handle that people generally don't want. Has the audio portal mostly shifted to music and the site/community want it that way? My question would also apply to video podcasts as well I guess too.

I podcast, make documentaries, cartoons, games and art. I also hate lawns. Love weasels. Am neutral on Snow Cones. I feel nothing about snow cones. Sometimes they are nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 12:54:48

At 7/6/23 12:15 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote: Hey! I saw some comments from like 8-12 years ago about podcasts on here. People seem to have posted some and people seem to be in favor of it but I don't want stuff on here that is too large for the site to handle that people generally don't want. Has the audio portal mostly shifted to music and the site/community want it that way? My question would also apply to video podcasts as well I guess too.

The AP has mainly been focused on music and voice acting, but podcasts have been encouraged over the last few years with the likes of the Newgrounds Podcast, A Couple of Crickets, and others. More frontpage slots have been added to feature things that are not music (and also to give more visibility to musicians).

I'd say, if you have a podcast that you feel is workable, give it a go. You might get the attention of Staff and some high-profile listeners if it takes off.

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 12:58:08

At 7/6/23 12:54 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 7/6/23 12:15 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote: Hey! I saw some comments from like 8-12 years ago about podcasts on here. People seem to have posted some and people seem to be in favor of it but I don't want stuff on here that is too large for the site to handle that people generally don't want. Has the audio portal mostly shifted to music and the site/community want it that way? My question would also apply to video podcasts as well I guess too.
The AP has mainly been focused on music and voice acting, but podcasts have been encouraged over the last few years with the likes of the Newgrounds Podcast, A Couple of Crickets, and others. More frontpage slots have been added to feature things that are not music (and also to give more visibility to musicians).

I'd say, if you have a podcast that you feel is workable, give it a go. You might get the attention of Staff and some high-profile listeners if it takes off.

Awesome! I know this is annoying but can you link to the podcasts on here? I couldn't find anything in the last few years. I guess I am also curious about the staff's feelings on large files too?

I podcast, make documentaries, cartoons, games and art. I also hate lawns. Love weasels. Am neutral on Snow Cones. I feel nothing about snow cones. Sometimes they are nice.

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 13:03:27

At 7/6/23 12:58 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:

Awesome! I know this is annoying but can you link to the podcasts on here? I couldn't find anything in the last few years. I guess I am also curious about the staff's feelings on large files too?

The Off the Wall Show.

The Animation Industry Podcast.

The Newgrounds Podcast.

Old Man Orange Podcast.

More examples here.

I think, these files are necessarily big, but as long as you're putting them up in MP3, feel absolutely free to do so. It's not the filesize that matters, it's what goes into the file that matters.

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 14:31:08

At 7/6/23 01:03 PM, Troisnyx wrote:

The Off the Wall Show.
The Newgrounds Podcast.
Old Man Orange Podcast.

More examples here.

I think, these files are necessarily big, but as long as you're putting them up in MP3, feel absolutely free to do so. It's not the filesize that matters, it's what goes into the file that matters.

Thanks! This definitely helped with the community side. Can't tell if you are staff but would love to hear if staff have a take on if file size doesn't matter especially re: video podcasts.

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 15:27:43

At 7/6/23 02:31 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote:
At 7/6/23 01:03 PM, Troisnyx wrote:

The Off the Wall Show.
The Newgrounds Podcast.
Old Man Orange Podcast.

More examples here.

Thanks! This definitely helped with the community side. Can't tell if you are staff but would love to hear if staff have a take on if file size doesn't matter especially re: video podcasts.

I'm a moderator, not Staff. If you want input about file size from the horse's mouth your best bet is to hear from @TomFulp or @liljim.

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 15:49:22

At 7/6/23 02:31 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote: Thanks! This definitely helped with the community side. Can't tell if you are staff but would love to hear if staff have a take on if file size doesn't matter especially re: video podcasts.

At the moment, video podcasts aren't a supported format on NG, since the movies portal is focused on animation and the audio portal accepts audio podcasts. Besides not having a great place for them, they would also consume a lot of storage space if people started uploading 1+ hour podcasts in video format, so there aren't any plans there in the near future. For now your best option would probably be to upload the video podcast on YouTube and embed it in an NG blog post, or just post the audio version in the Audio Portal.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts? 2023-07-06 15:54:07

At 7/6/23 03:49 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 7/6/23 02:31 PM, PoultrygeistGame wrote: Thanks! This definitely helped with the community side. Can't tell if you are staff but would love to hear if staff have a take on if file size doesn't matter especially re: video podcasts.
At the moment, video podcasts aren't a supported format on NG, since the movies portal is focused on animation and the audio portal accepts audio podcasts. Besides not having a great place for them, they would also consume a lot of storage space if people started uploading 1+ hour podcasts in video format, so there aren't any plans there in the near future. For now your best option would probably be to upload the video podcast on YouTube and embed it in an NG blog post, or just post the audio version in the Audio Portal.

That's what I figured. This is super helpful!

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts? 2024-02-06 14:45:51

BBS Signature

Response to Podcasts? 2024-04-30 10:24:04

Podcasts are boring

Phimosis