00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Greaze01 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Playlist Update: Phase Two

14,705 Views | 111 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 18:59:49

Skeuomorphic designs were frowned upon bc a designer at Apple said they were, then every tech journalist repeated that, then they broke out their dictionaries to see what "skeuomorphic" meant.

The render of RavioliBox's CD idea looks pretty clean. It would be interesting if the discs had different colors based on genre or something, but a subtle effect. The game cartridges are overbearing for me, and it would make them look different from animations in a way that doesn't make sense to use for both.

My mind jumps to film reel tape sticking out of animations, which I think is cool but not quite as cool as something Flash-inspired could be. It would also be wasted space I think in the portal view as opposed to only seeing it in the inline post view.

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 19:21:30

Well you should of said that before I made my news post https://tankcraft.newgrounds.com/news/post/1360316 cool update tho

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 19:27:57

My one takeaway from this post is that @JamesLee is a helpful cutie pie.

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 19:34:53

At 5/22/23 10:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: You can now create a rich content link to a playlist by pasting the playlist URL on its own line in our text editor, like you can with movies, games, art and audio!

THIS IS THE GAME CHANGER I'VE BEEN WANTING!

Oh yikes. You got rid of the default robots image. Guess I am gonna make / dole out cash to get some art created for the playlists now! :P

ALSO, I like Lee's mockup. I actually wanted cartridges for the music if we were going to go square-- but games works too! :)

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 19:49:24

At 5/22/23 01:39 PM, UnculturedMutt wrote: Definitely like JamesLee's music thumbnails, but not so much for the game thumbnails.

Maybe I'll change my mind if I see it in action. Perhaps on a skeumorphic April Fool's day, like with the new icon shapes?

I'll confess I barelly noticed the game thumbnails mockup until a second look lol

it just looked so natural to me xP

that said, I loved the music thumbnail mockup

Full size of signature's picture

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 20:33:10

At 5/22/23 04:37 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote: The rich content links look great! Is it possible for them to also include the number of entries in them and not just on the user's page?

The numbers show up on desktop but not on mobile at the moment due to space concerns there, dunno if that will change. Is there a place where you aren't seeing them on desktop?

One feedback I have for music playlists is that when playing all audio, I feel like tracks should always start from the beginning of the track instead of where it was last stopped. At least, it should apply to songs/loops - to me, it doesn't make sense to play through a playlist and pick up at the very end just because that's where you played off when you played the track on the page a while ago. I think the remembering timestamp feature would work well for longer forms of audio like podcasts, but it doesn't make sense for a 3-6 minute song, especially not within a playlist playing all tracks in sequence.

This is on our list! Hoping it will get sorted out during some spring cleaning after the Art Portal update goes live.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 21:14:52

God those cartridge thumbnails look wonderful, holy shit pls make them a thing in the future.

Paylists are lookin sleeeeek, the audio section is looking like a great place to organize a little music/sound portfolio with these...any chance we get playlists within movie, audio, game sections on the profile pages? rearranging playlists would also be neat

Also, I learned a new word today "skeuomorphic", nice! Thanks Tom!

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-22 21:55:45

The playlist changes generally just seem quite nice.

I love those thumbnail mockups for the music and game portal submissions, they got so much personality to them!

I am the original GetterRocka

I'm liking the new update to the playlists so far, provides a good chunk of relevant information for us desktop users, though I have noticed it takes its time to load on my laptop even after everything else has already loaded in, like, roughly 5 seconds afterwards (OS is Linux Mint 21.1 and I use Firefox if that info helps)... Actually I just checked again and it seems to be loading much faster now, must've just been my internet at the time or the bug was already fixed.

Although, I was wondering if playlists without thumbnail art could default to taking thumbnails from content inside the playlists similar to how other websites tend to do it?

I definitely would enjoy seeing the addition of skeuomorphic borders around submissions in the various portals, as long as it isn't anything too distracting I think it would add a nice touch to the Newgrounds experience. Themes would also be fun too!

Ponies, animation and sluggishly learning how to draw.

I like how it snap shots not only the amount, but the different types of media in the playlist. Also, Thank you for showing my TOP 10 arts playlist!

"A reward is it's own reward." - Killgar

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 00:33:27

At 5/22/23 06:59 PM, MSGhero wrote: My mind jumps to film reel tape sticking out of animations, which I think is cool but not quite as cool as something Flash-inspired could be.

Maybe something that invokes .fla files might work, like the thumbnails being contained in a window, or a sidebar resembling the classic .fla icon.

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 01:24:58

Thank you so much! Playlist links will be so helpful for me ^^

-e.e. McCutcheon

"Zongo"

That mockup by JamesLee looks amazing! I love both of those ideas.

At 5/22/23 06:08 PM, Wegra wrote: I still remember when I think we had like diamond records and platinum records based on views. I miss those. But yeah I think we Making them vinyl covers would be a great step forward

This. This would be awesome to bring back in some form or fashion, and I could see that working well with the mockup of the discs poking out of the case.

The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 04:22:21

At 5/22/23 08:33 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 5/22/23 04:37 PM, Random-storykeeper wrote: The rich content links look great! Is it possible for them to also include the number of entries in them and not just on the user's page?
The numbers show up on desktop but not on mobile at the moment due to space concerns there, dunno if that will change. Is there a place where you aren't seeing them on desktop?

One feedback I have for music playlists is that when playing all audio, I feel like tracks should always start from the beginning of the track instead of where it was last stopped. At least, it should apply to songs/loops - to me, it doesn't make sense to play through a playlist and pick up at the very end just because that's where you played off when you played the track on the page a while ago. I think the remembering timestamp feature would work well for longer forms of audio like podcasts, but it doesn't make sense for a 3-6 minute song, especially not within a playlist playing all tracks in sequence.
This is on our list! Hoping it will get sorted out during some spring cleaning after the Art Portal update goes live.

Originally I wasn't seeing on any of the playlists in your original post in this thread, but coming back to it now, I do see them. I didn't take a screenshot of it earlier, so I probably missed them on the far right side. I guess now that you mention mobile, it would be nice to have the number of entries be displayed somewhere on mobile, even if it isn't in the embedded links. As far as I can tell, I don't see anywhere it is visible while browsing on my phone.

I'm glad to see the playback issue is on the list! Would there ever be shuffle and/or repeat options within playlists as well? These are more nice-to-haves for me, but I'd love to see them made available.

Awesome update. You can sort by views but don't actually see the viewcount though hmm... would be cool if that number was visible somewhere too.

I like the idea of game cartridges, movie strips and CD sleeves, @JamesLee's mockup looks awesome. All the more personal with games, and you see more of the cover art with the music. Only downside I can think of would be older covers designed specifically to fit a circular disc possibly looking a bit odd with this, but seems like a minor thing...

Always enjoyed skeuomorphic design, don't see why it left really, all for bringing it back wherever possible!

Seemed like the intention with having a more streamlined layout - for example having the same thumbnail style across all content types - would be that it was easier to maintain and update, but if that's no issue the more detail the better IMO.

At 5/22/23 11:26 AM, TomFulp wrote: I haven't been a fan of the idea to allow different thumbnail shapes for content but it is fun to imagine different cartridge types for games, or CD vs vinyl for music sleeves.

This sounds even better. Vinyl would be awesome, the old vinyl icons we had were pretty cool, kept using 'em as cover images for a while...

iu_977417_725545.png

At 5/22/23 06:08 PM, Wegra wrote: I still remember when I think we had like diamond records and platinum records based on views. I miss those. But yeah I think we Making them vinyl covers would be a great step forward

Sleeve + regular/gold/diamond/platinum style vinyl in sleeve based on views? ;)

Either way cartridge/sleeve idea sounds awesome, if possibly to customize further even better IMO.

The latest: Hexa #97 (May)

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 06:15:53

That update is so sick I want to dance now. Thank god I have a playlist for this

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 07:17:17

At 5/23/23 04:22 AM, Random-storykeeper wrote: I'm glad to see the playback issue is on the list! Would there ever be shuffle and/or repeat options within playlists as well? These are more nice-to-haves for me, but I'd love to see them made available.

These are a possibility, have a bunch of higher priority plans at the moment though.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 08:20:11

I'm really loving this update. The playlists look sweet, especially on mobile. I might have to make new icons. Thanks team!

Check out my playlists!

(The utility one is gonna have another one soon. 😉)

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 11:48:57

Response was mixed, however a lot of people liked the idea of treating the thumbnail like a sleeve with a CD or vinyl record poking out the side, to keep music unique while showing the full thumbnail.

I am 100% for the idea of changing the disc thumbnail to be a square "sleeve" with a CD poking out! But I also think that if this change is gonna be made its gonna emphasize the cover art for audio uploads a little bit more than they already are. My suggestion because of this is that maybe the cover art for an audio upload should show up in a square next to the waveform much like a playlist page's cover image does.

Here is a quick and messy concept image to showcase my idea, It should probably be handled differently in the final but I feel this edit gets the idea across.

iu_977554_5911890.webp

send me cake recipes

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 11:57:44

vouch

INCORPOREAL CURIOS FROM THE VOLITION OF THE LAST VIDEO VIROLOGIST /

SOUNDS AND SIGHTS AND SHAPES AND SHADES FROM AN OUTLANDISH MIND /

BBS Signature

The mock-ups are awesome! The cartridges are a super nostalgic look and I like it a lot. The CD cases are also a big improvement in my opinion. The current design isn't bad by any means, but sometimes the hole through the middle impacts the artwork. I'm a big fan of the new look!

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 15:07:15

At 5/22/23 11:01 AM, Piggybank12 wrote:
At 5/22/23 10:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: It’s fun to think about these things but it’s especially helpful when the ideas get visualized, which is what @JamesLee did with this game and music thumbnail mockup!

What do you think of that mockup? It’s a shift back towards a more skeuomorphic design, something that was frowned on this past decade but is maybe primed for a come-back. I enjoyed all the feedback I got on Saturday’s post because it’s a reminder you are out there and reading this, so please don’t hesitate to weigh in on this idea now!
I really like this mockup! The thought of giving each game the look of a tangible cartridge feels on-brand, and while I've never shared music on NG I do think keeping the art on the sleeve while having the CD pop out from the side is a smart compromise.
There was another idea shared earlier in the thread as well about letting people choose between vinyls, CDs or cassette tapes which sounds like an idea that could utilize the code you've already got for selecting avatar frames, though I wouldn't know for certain if that would save on work.

As for a return to leaning on skeuomorphism, I think that could also be a smart idea. We've been seeing a flat vector design approach everywhere for over a decade now, and while it's only a gut feeling, I feel like people are growing tired of it and are looking for something new. Skeuomorphism is now synonymous with the mid-late 2000's (which is also NG's big heyday with the public too I think), and the nostalgia for that era is on the climb lately.
It also just occurred to me that I've even had a userstyle theme enabled on my end for a while now that restores the skeuomorphism for NG, which the mockup art fits into like a glove:

The 2007-2012 layout was my favourite for a reason! I understand that changes are sometimes necessary but I'm sure mr. Fulp and co could have found a way to iterate upon that layout instead of making a new one from scratch if they were inclined to do so.

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 15:39:37

This was a quick and neat update. Things are starting look better in 2023.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 17:39:14

I'm digging the mockups! I'd maybe have the cartridges be a little more subtle but I like the idea of the games on NG looking like cartridges.

holy smokes i found a folder of all my like 2008 forum signatures that my friends made me i'm gonna use them lol

BBS Signature

At 5/22/23 10:20 AM, TomFulp wrote: It also came up that games could look like game cartridges and movies could look like film strips. 

It’s fun to think about these things but it’s especially helpful when the ideas get visualized, which is what @JamesLee did with this game and music thumbnail mockup!

I mean, if you're going Skeuomorph like @JamesLee's example, for movies you'd do better having TVs or VHS tape covers to get that hardcore '90s vibe going.

iu_977775_1717894.png

iu_977781_1717894.png

BBS Signature

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-23 23:16:48

I really dig the CRTs, feels very newgroundsey to me.

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-24 00:13:36

It looks a lot cleaner now, great work!

Failing over and over doesn't make you a failure. The only failures are the ones who don't try.

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-24 02:08:30

The CRT wall in the Movies mockup makes me think about the wall of TVs playing videos at an electronics store. It gives off the same kind of vibes.

Which makes me think about the games again: if we keep with the CRT theme, would games get a computer monitor? That might work as a callback to flash games' influence on the site.

Response to Playlist Update: Phase Two 2023-05-24 05:19:42

At 5/24/23 02:08 AM, needza wrote: The CRT wall in the Movies mockup makes me think about the wall of TVs playing videos at an electronics store. It gives off the same kind of vibes.

Which makes me think about the games again: if we keep with the CRT theme, would games get a computer monitor? That might work as a callback to flash games' influence on the site.

That would be kinda pointless as games can be played on almost any screen. We seem to be leaning towards cartridges as its identifier-- besides some games are played on pocket devices, not CRTs. :)

BBS Signature