00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

s4kuna just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique Call Center: Want your art critiqued? Want to critique art? Look here!

3,386 Views | 113 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 7/13/23 10:56 PM, GJMARS wrote: [CRITIQUE THIS WIP!]

Looking good so far! It seems like you got the fundamentals down when it comes to the anatomy and initial lineart of the piece. I have to give special attention to the clothing though as it looks nice and detailed without being too distracting. If I had to give criticism, though, I'd say that the facial expression could be a tad better. The eyes look a bit too dreary-eyed and emotionless. I get that may be what you're going for, but I think adjusting the eyes a bit would give it more cohesion in the facial expressions.

Performer of all, completer of none

BBS Signature

iu_1026423_9160559.webp

[CRITIQUE THIS]

At 7/18/23 02:31 PM, FunnyPlush wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/funnyplush/gogo-chop

[CRITIQUE THIS]

I think the first thing that stands out to me is the lack of impact and emphasis on Gogo's karate chop. It doesn't feel as powerful as it should be in regards to how the art presents it. The anatomy could have been improved a bit as well, as both the legs and hands look more like an afterthought if anything. The background too is good and matches the main drawing well, but the perspective could be better. Other than that, though, I actually really like the lineless art style. Knowing how hard it is to achieve, I respect you for trying your hand at it given how nice it looks here. The colors are also very nice and are a nice treat for the eyes, so I applaud your color choice here as well as it does well to enhance the drawing alot by doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to presentation.

BBS Signature

At 7/18/23 03:29 PM, picolocity366 wrote:
At 7/18/23 02:31 PM, FunnyPlush wrote: https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/funnyplush/gogo-chop

[CRITIQUE THIS]
I think the first thing that stands out to me is the lack of impact and emphasis on Gogo's karate chop. It doesn't feel as powerful as it should be in regards to how the art presents it. The anatomy could have been improved a bit as well, as both the legs and hands look more like an afterthought if anything. The background too is good and matches the main drawing well, but the perspective could be better. Other than that, though, I actually really like the lineless art style. Knowing how hard it is to achieve, I respect you for trying your hand at it given how nice it looks here. The colors are also very nice and are a nice treat for the eyes, so I applaud your color choice here as well as it does well to enhance the drawing alot by doing most of the heavy lifting when it comes to presentation.

thanks, i would've added more effects to the chop but i felt like it would clutter the drawing and as for the perspective, this is one of the very few times i try doing this so yeah i have a lot to improve on that

At 7/22/23 07:23 PM, GJMARS wrote: [CRITIQUE THIS!]
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/gjmars/beauty-of-sunrise

The colors are lovely and give it a children's book feel. The lighting and shading for the most part also seems pretty good, except on the top of the head, where it looks like the hair is bleached (I'm assuming it's not supposed to be), it could be blended a little better. The biggest thing that stands out is the face, where the eyes are positioned kind of weirdly, and it looks sort of lifeless. Another thing is the right shoulder could be a little more defined, and the elbow over the leg could bend a little more. Aside from that, it has a really nice style to it :D

At 7/19/23 01:26 PM, JJBolton635 wrote: This forum sounds interesting.

I have these artworks if anybody wants to comment along with other works on my Art page if anybody is interested:

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jjbolton635/fluffy-dog

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jjbolton635/just-a-nudge-title-and-end-card

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jjbolton635/phobia-begone

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/jjbolton635/khao-eating-jam-on-bread-and-bun

[Critique These]

Piece #1: The head and face are very well drawn and look very full of life, but the body isn't as detailed, which makes it look like the face was cut and pasted. It might be better to keep the pen size consistent.

Piece #2: The lack of lines looks pretty good, but in the first part you could add shading to the dog's legs. Also in the first part, the cat is leaning in kind of an odd way. His feet should be flat on the ground, and it would be a fun detail to show that he has to bend around the dog's belly in order to be seen. The second part has much more dynamic looking poses, and does a good job telling a story.

Piece #3: I really like the background. The dog's tail doesn't really align with his butt and leg, making it look a little awkward. Also, the cat's arm with the flag looks kind of stiff. They could also be better centered in the piece. Aside from that, the upper anatomy for the dog is pretty good.

Piece #4: The anatomy looks pretty solid for the most part, except the tail looks like it was an afterthought, as it's angle makes the position of the buttcrack a little jarring. It might help to remove either the tail or buttcrack, or draw the tail at a different angle. Also the bread and knife sort of look like clipart, and the jelly on the bread in his mouth looks like a sticker. I like the way the bread flops, it's a nice detail.

Overall, you're pretty good at drawing anatomy in such a simplistic style, but the bodies should have enough detail to match the face, and the lines should stay a more consistent size. There's also a lot of room to play with colors; for example the red shirts are very bright juxtaposed to everything else, so picking a more muted color could help. You also seem to have an okay grasp of character design, particularly with shape. I got a pretty good feel for the character's personalities. Overall, I think you could make the smaller characters such as the purple cat more dynamically posed, and do more with composition and color ^_^

[CRITIQUE THIS]

iu_1034000_11364755.png

Smiley Bone.

One of my most recent pieces. I really like this one.

AHHHHH!

BBS Signature

[CRITIQUE THIS!] please

iu_1034673_8865936.png

Back at it again with another Ray redesign but this time with her friend Zach. Critique is as always welcome!

iu_1045011_10067007.webp

BBS Signature

At 7/27/23 07:30 AM, SomeDoodles wrote: [CRITIQUE THIS]

Smiley Bone.
One of my most recent pieces. I really like this one.

I'd like to think you imitated Smiley's artstyle here! It looks appealing to the eyes and is accordingly expressive. The colors are nice and compliment the line work greatly. If I had to critique somewhat, then I'd have the say that the linework can be shoddy in places and make it hard to see what's happening. Refining that linework to a tee would have helped make everything seem that much more complete. I also appreciate how slightly ambitious you are with this art in places, so I'd definitely encourage you to do that more often as it really shines here.

BBS Signature

At 1/21/23 12:53 AM, Flestor wrote: Here critique my shitty art

[Critique These]

Um I'll try, lets see,

first off I have no idea what the first one is supposed to be, I'm sorry.

The second one, I like the idea itself, and the colors are not bad though it would be better if you didn't use grey lineart. A darker, more saturated lineart of the color would do.

The third one, I... don't... really know what to say about it,... I think I'll stop here.

At 1/21/23 12:47 AM, picolocity366 wrote:
At 1/21/23 12:46 AM, IamNoOneSpecial1 wrote:
At 1/20/23 10:54 PM, picolocity366 wrote:
At 1/19/23 11:37 PM, IamNoOneSpecial1 wrote: I tried to do an Extreme Dinosaur OC, but since I barely got any votes and zero feedback I dunno how well I did or how well she was received so...

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/iamnoonespecial1/female-extreme-dinosaur
[CALL ME]

PS: Don't mean to advertise, but I'm offering votes for votes; You vote on an artwork of mine that hasn't got 5 votes yet, and I'll return the favor.
I think the posing on the dinosaurs' legs could be exaggerated a bit more considering the more reserved main pose. The face is also a bit uncanny and doesn't fit the body the best. Other then that, though, I like the colors and simple shading! The line art is also well put together, if a little simple. Overall, I'd say it's worth 4 and a half stars. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, but there isn't really anything wholly outstanding about it either.
Thanks for calling the Critique Call Center! If you'd like to call again, press 1. If you would like for another piece to be critiqued, press 2...
Thanks so much for the feedback! Sorry I didn't reply immediately...
So... what artwork of yours would you like me to review and leave a feedback on?
This one if you can:)

I really love the background and effects, and I also love those white border lines on the character, the lineart is great though it would help if you applied different line weights. Aside from that, pretty decent.

Here, an old piece I drew, critique this:

iu_1064540_18679928.webp

At 1/25/23 06:17 PM, Flestor wrote: here is my new art-work

its an art-trade i did with @SomeDoodles

[Critique This]

Love the concept, though the hat is a little off, as I almost mistook it for a leaf, try adding some shadows. It helps bring out the shapes a little, plus it can add a bit to the creepiness of it. That's pretty much all I've got.

At 8/30/23 02:41 PM, Ameerahtheartist wrote: Here, an old piece I drew, critique this:

I LOVE the colors here, they're so soft and easy on the eyes! The facial expression is also wonderful as well and is drawn remarkably well, with special attention given to the hair due to how wonderfully it's drawn here mostly thanks to the excellent shading, mad props for that. If I had to point out any flaws, then I'd say the blur present in the background is a tad distracting and doesn't look the best, but other than that this piece looks great and it shocks me how this is an old piece of yours considering how high quality it is

BBS Signature

At 10/3/23 01:23 PM, GJMARS wrote: [CRITIQUE THIS WIP]

I'm attempting to paint this realistically. What should I improve on?

For realistic texture on the dendritic parts, maybe go in with some moderate dark lines for ridges, then go over them with thinner, darker lines. You already have some diversity in the shades which is a good start.

On another note I think that your subject is freakily fascinating. Looks like an interesting new take on dendroids/tree people.

iu_1101999_15607817.webp

[CRITIQUE THIS]

I've been developing my approach, and part of it is drawing upon the vectorised art style of Flash games and movies while pushing its boundaries (could you call it that?), mainly through shading and lighting techniques. I made this to honour one such Flash game. Mainly wondering:

1. Is the Flash influence evident?
  2. Do the lighting and shading work?
  3. Does the perspective (the fact that all the character are standing front-on) make it boring or not?

Drop your critique here or under the piece in the Portal, I don't mind.

If it helps, I provided an in-depth account of the creative process here.

[CRITIQUE THIS]

A few recent pieces!! I wanna get better, please critique me!!!!! TYSM!!!!

iu_1103259_8865936.png

iu_1103260_8865936.png

iu_1103262_19027001.webp

WhiteDummy wrote this.

that's me

BBS Signature

[CRITIQUE THIS]

iu_1107209_15607817.webp

At 10/3/23 01:23 PM, GJMARS wrote: [CRITIQUE THIS WIP]

I'm attempting to paint this realistically. What should I improve on?

Use tree references and plan a light source. The head and the tree are gonna look disjointed until they're casting shadows in each other and catching some of each other's bounce light.

At 10/25/23 06:02 PM, frym wrote: [CRITIQUE THIS]
A few recent pieces!! I wanna get better, please critique me!!!!! TYSM!!!!

These aren't partially traced, are they? I only ask that because your proportions are really quite good for the most part, but then your fundamentals all need a lot of work; the disconnect there is throwing me. Your volumes are flat, soft brush shading seems arbitrary and shapeless, limbs that do anything complicated have a plausible outline, but in cases like 1 and 5, the legs lose their shape and direction when their internal detailing doesn't follow. That can all be addressed with a construction-based approach that views your forms as 3D volumes instead of a series of overlapping 2D shapes.

At 10/25/23 06:08 PM, ATimesThree wrote: -

No fundamentals.

At 11/1/23 04:16 PM, RepriseAgain wrote:

[CRITIQUE THIS]

Stylized bones are tough since I can't just say "make them the right shape." If they're following the more established shape language of a 3-toothed cartoon skull, things will be bulbous and highly simplified, so in that sense it's fine. Within that shape language though, maybe try separating the hand and foot bones more so there's negative space between them. I know their shapes are more designed than pure ovals, but I think you could flatten the curves on fingers and toes a bit more so they look more like rectangles with rounded corners, rather than ovals with flattened apexes.

iu_1123848_10067007.webp

Rate my doodle yall

BBS Signature

iu_1124206_18478846.webp[CALL ME] Here's a WIP that I plan to work on tomorrow (apologies for the quality, the piece is much sharper than what is presented here). Any suggestions on what I can add to? I'm trying to give this a bit of a cozy yet reclusive/clustered look but I feel like I suck at composition. Feel free to tear me apart!

Here's also a list of stuff that I know I suck at by the way. I know these aren't really prevalent here, but I'd love a few tips for later use:

Clothing / Fabric Folds

Coloring & Shading

Small, intricate details

Art Dump

I like to yap incoherently about my art sometimes

God bless you.

BBS Signature

[CRITIQUE THIS]

iu_1124470_18589287.webp

Thinking back, off in the distance, the future shone everywhere we looked

Underneath the beautiful blue sky

We were just a little bit afraid