00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bowtotheman just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Critique Call Center: Want your art critiqued? Want to critique art? Look here!

3,435 Views | 109 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

At 4/27/23 09:53 PM, picolocity366 wrote: WIP of the redesign I'm doing with my oc, Ray.
Original:

Redesign:

Critique is appreciated as always

I think the simplification is moving in the right direction.

Something I think applies to most of your work in general is that the thickness and uniform darkness of your lines has a tendency to hurt visual clarity. Each shape is separated from the other so completely by these thick black lines, sometimes it's difficult to tell whether things are connected or not. When everything has this much loud emphasis put on it, it gets noisy.

I see you use a few different line weights here and there (so far so good), but I think you could push the variety further and have them follow more solid rules. The most common is to give the thickest outlines to big forms (or a cohesive grouping of forms) specifically to separate it from the objects around them, and the smallest to be details that are connected to a larger object and don't affect its shape very much. For example, the outer edges of an arm would be thicker, but where the sleeve becomes a cuff, and where the hand comes out, those lines would be considerably thinner, because they're connected to each other. The pattern on the sleeve really doesn't need any kind of line at all since it isn't affecting the shape of the jacket - but if for stylistic purposes you want to keep those lines, maybe consider changing their color. If your lines are communicating a separation of forms, you don't want to send mixed messages by using them when that's not what they're doing.

iu_959088_8048042.png

Next I'd be careful of tangents. This is particularly difficult to avoid when using very thick lines, because more things appear to converge than they would if lines were thinner. It doesn't mean you have to give up on big outlines, it just means you have to be careful in areas like these, where the lines of multiple forms converge in ways that can cause confusion about what is connected to what, what's in front or behind, etc. Usually it only takes minor adjustments to a pose to break those tangents up.

iu_959089_8048042.png

You're getting somewhere with these; keep going!

At 4/29/23 01:00 AM, Skoops wrote:
At 4/27/23 09:53 PM, picolocity366 wrote: WIP of the redesign I'm doing with my oc, Ray.
Original:

Redesign:

Critique is appreciated as always
I think the simplification is moving in the right direction.
Something I think applies to most of your work in general is that the thickness and uniform darkness of your lines has a tendency to hurt visual clarity. Each shape is separated from the other so completely by these thick black lines, sometimes it's difficult to tell whether things are connected or not. When everything has this much loud emphasis put on it, it gets noisy.

I see you use a few different line weights here and there (so far so good), but I think you could push the variety further and have them follow more solid rules. The most common is to give the thickest outlines to big forms (or a cohesive grouping of forms) specifically to separate it from the objects around them, and the smallest to be details that are connected to a larger object and don't affect its shape very much. For example, the outer edges of an arm would be thicker, but where the sleeve becomes a cuff, and where the hand comes out, those lines would be considerably thinner, because they're connected to each other. The pattern on the sleeve really doesn't need any kind of line at all since it isn't affecting the shape of the jacket - but if for stylistic purposes you want to keep those lines, maybe consider changing their color. If your lines are communicating a separation of forms, you don't want to send mixed messages by using them when that's not what they're doing.

Next I'd be careful of tangents. This is particularly difficult to avoid when using very thick lines, because more things appear to converge than they would if lines were thinner. It doesn't mean you have to give up on big outlines, it just means you have to be careful in areas like these, where the lines of multiple forms converge in ways that can cause confusion about what is connected to what, what's in front or behind, etc. Usually it only takes minor adjustments to a pose to break those tangents up.

You're getting somewhere with these; keep going!

I'm so glad you like it so far, skoops! You've been a massive inspiration to me when it comes to art and I absolutely adore your work.

Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely use it for the drawing!

Performer of all, completer of none

BBS Signature

Haven't posted here in a while.

iu_974006_10067007.webp

[CRITIQUE THIS]

BBS Signature

Idk what else to do in this drawing pls help

[CRITIQUE THIS]

iu_974119_7786111.webp

[CRITIQUE THIS]

I am looking for feedback/critique regarding the design/ideas; not about the art-style or coloring or shading or that stuff.

Was my Pokemon redesign idea a good one? Did I get it properly done? Was the idea itself great?

That's the kind of critique I'm looking for.

Oh, and I'd like the critique to be in the artwork's comments' section.

At 5/18/23 04:49 PM, AntoCala wrote: Idk what else to do in this drawing pls help
[CRITIQUE THIS]

I think the torso is particularly well done anatomy-wise, but the pose is kinda stiff and painful looking, in the neck especially. Soften those angles a bit and you'll have a more relaxed pose.

iu_988299_8048042.png

Any tips on doing ocean water in digital painting programs like krita? I've tried experimenting, but I can't be satisfied with the white foam of the ocean.

iu_988394_16572354.webp

It's a pretty basic painting, and I can improve obviously on the sun and clouds. But making the ocean more... 'oceany' more or less is what I wish to improve on. So right now my goal is to be able to paint decent realistic looking ocean water.

At 6/5/23 10:02 AM, lwpage wrote: Any tips on doing ocean water in digital painting programs like krita? I've tried experimenting, but I can't be satisfied with the white foam of the ocean.

It's a pretty basic painting, and I can improve obviously on the sun and clouds. But making the ocean more... 'oceany' more or less is what I wish to improve on. So right now my goal is to be able to paint decent realistic looking ocean water.

iu_988434_8016576.webp

Water can look very different depending on a number of factors.

I would say, don't try to be too technical in your approach. Look at references and try to feel the flow.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

At 6/5/23 11:30 AM, PerKGrok wrote:
At 6/5/23 10:02 AM, lwpage wrote: Any tips on doing ocean water in digital painting programs like krita? I've tried experimenting, but I can't be satisfied with the white foam of the ocean.

I would say, don't try to be too technical in your approach. Look at references and try to feel the flow.

I gave it a shot. But how can I make this better? What do you like about it?

iu_988479_16572354.webp

At 6/5/23 12:57 PM, lwpage wrote:
At 6/5/23 11:30 AM, PerKGrok wrote:

I gave it a shot. But how can I make this better? What do you like about it?

This is an OK method to draw fairly calm water from a top down view. :)

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

iu_990264_8656361.webpiu_990265_8656361.webp

[CRITIQUE THIS] please

how's my lineart and anatomy? im still trying to improve in the coloring too

Spare a coin to a fellow artist?

BBS Signature

At 6/7/23 09:16 PM, Jam3e wrote:
[CRITIQUE THIS] please

Scale. Window is way too big, kitchenette is way too small. If you're gonna knock only one wall out to show the interior, knock the one that would obscure the most stuff.

iu_990572_8048042.png

Perspective. Here are some of your vectors. when they're aligned in a cubic space like these are, these vectors should converge.

iu_990574_8048042.png

iu_990573_8048042.png

At 6/7/23 11:23 PM, butterspam wrote: how's my lineart and anatomy? im still trying to improve in the coloring too
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/butterspam/vampire-girl-redo

Honestly this is nice! I think the anatomy's pretty solid as well as her pose. The lineart is also strikes the perfect balance between being visible while also not being visibly jarring. The colors and palette overall are nice and cool and really highlight the vampirish night time setting well.

BBS Signature

At 6/8/23 06:24 PM, picolocity366 wrote:
At 6/7/23 11:23 PM, butterspam wrote: how's my lineart and anatomy? im still trying to improve in the coloring too
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/butterspam/vampire-girl-redo
Honestly this is nice! I think the anatomy's pretty solid as well as her pose. The lineart is also strikes the perfect balance between being visible while also not being visibly jarring. The colors and palette overall are nice and cool and really highlight the vampirish night time setting well.

hey thanks, much appreciate it. i still struggle with the shoulder area and side views.

Spare a coin to a fellow artist?

BBS Signature

Did you ever work on an artwork and you felt good about it? Like... you thought this one would be a hit?

...and then it just wasn't?

That's what happened to this artwork here of mine... and I'd like to get a second opinion on it.

[CRITIQUE THIS]

WARNING! NSFW!!!

Please post your critiques in the comment section of the artwork.

At 6/21/23 01:54 PM, Metrocop1127 wrote: Hey, I was looking for something like this thread!
[CRITIQUE THIS]

Very charming. The expression's goofy but in a good way and the line art isn't to bad. The problems come in with the large amount of negative space. The canvas seems too big for the actual art in the center and makes it look somewhat unfinished. Keeping a good balance of negative and positive space is important when it comes to making art

and this art kinda shows its importance

Decent little art though. Keep going!

BBS Signature

hello, i drew this to gain favor with someone by letting them use my drawings to gain Artist role in a Discord server, i need to go to the bathroom, but i need to finish typing this and also put the picture in, hopefully a critique and also an explanation for my loss of memory lately, if possible, thank you

iu_1008099_6051895.webp

At 7/8/23 05:08 PM, GJMARS wrote: What can I improve on?

First things first... Were you going for something (semi-) realistic or purely abstract/cartoony?

Without that clearing that up first I got two things to say:

1. Your head is slightly out of line.
  2. NEVER, EVER USE GREY TO SHADE!!! Shade using "related" colors; shade yellow with orange, shade red with brown, blue with violet etc.

At 7/8/23 09:50 PM, IamNoOneSpecial1 wrote:
First things first... Were you going for something (semi-) realistic or purely abstract/cartoony?

1- im doing something more of a cartoony feel

2- i didnt use grey to shade, i just used a low-opacity multiply layer and painted the shadow with a dark blue

iu_1018902_8775854.webp

[CRITIQUE THIS]

At 7/8/23 10:40 PM, FunnyPlush wrote:
2- i didnt use grey to shade, i just used a low-opacity multiply layer and painted the shadow with a dark blue

@2: Whoops, my bad! I totally didn't an speck of blue there!

...hmmm... maybe there's a piece of advice there: Turn up the opacity of your shadow layer a little; JUUUST enough to make the blue visible.

At 7/9/23 07:40 PM, stupidvampire wrote:
[CRITIQUE THIS]

Where would you like to have the critique? Here in this thread or on the artwork's comment section?

The thread is fine, sorry I forgot to mention

At 7/9/23 07:55 PM, IamNoOneSpecial1 wrote:
At 7/8/23 10:40 PM, FunnyPlush wrote:
@2: Whoops, my bad! I totally didn't an speck of blue there!
...hmmm... maybe there's a piece of advice there: Turn up the opacity of your shadow layer a little; JUUUST enough to make the blue visible.

ah sorry, i thought it was another thread of mine, pardon!

[Critique this]

iu_1018955_7514444.webp

Critique or critic are welcome

At 1/23/23 10:47 PM, picolocity366 wrote:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/picolocity366/the-fancy-gang
{CRITIQUE THIS}

It's too loud. I couldn't understand what I was looking at apart from Fancy pants in the center until I saw the drawing de-constructed layer by layer. It's far easier to understand after that, And Henry being a stickman definitely doesn't do him any favors when it comes to popping out from the background, So maybe it would be a good idea to play around with a bigger canvas? Instead of having them all stacked ontop of eachother, spread them out and make sure to give Henry some negative space behind him so his very skinny body and limbs can be properly represented. I'm thinking something like the OG starwars poster, with the protagonists in the center of the frame and the villain closer to the top, since he's supposed to be this big intimidating figure towering over the main cast of characters.

iu_1018972_8147361.webp

At 7/9/23 09:36 PM, Pancaketophat wrote:
At 1/23/23 10:47 PM, picolocity366 wrote:
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/picolocity366/the-fancy-gang
{CRITIQUE THIS}
It's too loud. I couldn't understand what I was looking at apart from Fancy pants in the center until I saw the drawing de-constructed layer by layer. It's far easier to understand after that, And Henry being a stickman definitely doesn't do him any favors when it comes to popping out from the background, So maybe it would be a good idea to play around with a bigger canvas? Instead of having them all stacked ontop of eachother, spread them out and make sure to give Henry some negative space behind him so his very skinny body and limbs can be properly represented. I'm thinking something like the OG starwars poster, with the protagonists in the center of the frame and the villain closer to the top, since he's supposed to be this big intimidating figure towering over the main cast of characters.

Man I really regret not doing something like that thinking back on it now, that would have been SO cool

Changing the canvas definitely crossed my mind at one point, but for some reason or another I never went through with it. Thanks for pointing that out, I really appreciate it

BBS Signature

At 7/9/23 08:58 PM, Waterina wrote: [Critique this]
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/waterina/ricalene-arnea

I have basically 2 things to say about this here:

1. Finish this
  2. Don't draw on a notebook page

What do I mean with "Finish this?"

To make it simple; pencil sketches are generally not considered as finished artworks. Not unless they are polished, properly shaded photorealistic artworks intentionally done in grayscale.

Your artwork just looks like a final rough sketch ready for inking, coloring and shading.

At 7/9/23 10:26 PM, IamNoOneSpecial1 wrote:
At 7/9/23 08:58 PM, Waterina wrote: [Critique this]
https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/waterina/ricalene-arnea

I have basically 2 things to say about this here:

What do I mean with "Finish this?"
To make it simple; pencil sketches are generally not considered as finished artworks. Not unless they are polished, properly shaded photorealistic artworks intentionally done in grayscale.

Your artwork just looks like a final rough sketch ready for inking, coloring and shading.

I like that