00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Fille222 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Musk Twitter deal collapses

10,298 Views | 446 Replies

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-27 21:35:13

At 10/27/22 08:32 PM, FESTIVE-BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 10/27/22 07:22 PM, Gario wrote: welp we can slap the title of this thread in a "things that aged poorly" tweet, can't we

at least it will in a day or two

here's hopin' musk knows how to run a decent social media site, then
I have no honest idea how this will turn out.

but yeah here’s hoping.

here's hoping, but it ain't looking good so far

financial folk are the ones who care if advertisers are happy, and as a consequence push for the platform to be relatively clean of hate speech and shit

ain't a good sign, no sir

iu_785288_2947313.webp

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-27 22:14:06

At 10/27/22 09:35 PM, Gario wrote:
At 10/27/22 08:32 PM, FESTIVE-BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 10/27/22 07:22 PM, Gario wrote: welp we can slap the title of this thread in a "things that aged poorly" tweet, can't we

at least it will in a day or two

here's hopin' musk knows how to run a decent social media site, then
I have no honest idea how this will turn out.

but yeah here’s hoping.
here's hoping, but it ain't looking good so far

financial folk are the ones who care if advertisers are happy, and as a consequence push for the platform to be relatively clean of hate speech and shit

ain't a good sign, no sir

And Musk plans to fire 75% of the Twitter workforce, which I suspect much is related to the enforcement of those rules over hate speech.

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-27 22:19:39

man twitter is going to be fun to watch as leftoids lose their shit

lel

BBS Signature

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-27 22:22:38

Make sure the Twitter refugees dont fuck up this place guiz

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-27 23:25:16

iu_785358_8048042.gif

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-27 23:47:11

At 10/27/22 10:19 PM, Sequenced wrote: man twitter is going to be fun to watch as leftoids lose their shit

not that you can read this, but if elon lets fascists have free rein and trashes TOS it's gonna lose all the revenue it gets through ads and either turn into a personal money sink for elon to uphold himself (lol) or close shop in a few years due to server costs being impossible to recoup on it's own

once again i must point out that fascists are a suicide cult that lead to their own destruction (but not without causing as much misery as possible on their way out)

you morons are your own worst enemy, and you're too stupid to realize it

Need some music for a flash or game? Check it out. If none of this works send me a PM, I'm taking requests.

Haw dang, looks like the party's on. Good thing I finally scored a few days off so I can watch this shitstorm from the comf zone.

At 10/27/22 09:35 PM, Gario wrote: ain't a good sign, no sir

Those executives deserved it.

At 10/27/22 10:22 PM, Tsarfield wrote: Make sure the Twitter refugees dont fuck up this place guiz

Speaking of which, looks like I'll be getting my old job back...

At 10/27/22 10:14 PM, EdyKel wrote: And Musk plans to fire 75% of the Twitter workforce, which I suspect much is related to the enforcement of those rules over hate speech.

Not really.

It'd be cool if he does turn the twitter HQ into a homeless shelter.

At 10/27/22 10:19 PM, Sequenced wrote: man twitter is going to be fun to watch as leftoids lose their shit

inb4 DDOS XD

I don't mind if he crashes the entire corp and hands over the logs to INTERPOL.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 01:22:15

At 10/28/22 12:39 AM, Yomuchan wrote:
At 10/27/22 10:14 PM, EdyKel wrote: And Musk plans to fire 75% of the Twitter workforce, which I suspect much is related to the enforcement of those rules over hate speech.
Not really.

We shall see. The guy says a lot of things. Knowing him, yes, he will fire a lot lot of people to trim the sales and show instant profit for those who helped him buy Twitter.

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 01:29:08

At 10/27/22 11:47 PM, Gario wrote:
not that you can read this, but if elon lets fascists have free rein and trashes TOS it's gonna lose all the revenue it gets through ads and either turn into a personal money sink for elon to uphold himself (lol) or close shop in a few years due to server costs being impossible to recoup on it's own

once again i must point out that fascists are a suicide cult that lead to their own destruction (but not without causing as much misery as possible on their way out)

you morons are your own worst enemy, and you're too stupid to realize it

Granted. @Sequenced

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 01:37:47

At 10/28/22 12:39 AM, Yomuchan wrote: Haw dang, looks like the party's on. Good thing I finally scored a few days off so I can watch this shitstorm from the comf zone.

At 10/27/22 09:35 PM, Gario wrote: ain't a good sign, no sir
Those executives deserved it.

At 10/27/22 10:22 PM, Tsarfield wrote: Make sure the Twitter refugees dont fuck up this place guiz
Speaking of which, looks like I'll be getting my old job back...

Not really.

inb4 DDOS XD

Wait we're finally able to say whatever we want on twitter now?

iu_785439_9507916.gif

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 02:52:44

looks like despite his best efforts elon is now shackled to twitter

only time will tell how good a move this will have been

didn't he float ideas like making users pay to tweet in the past or something lol

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 05:32:26

At 10/28/22 02:52 AM, Gimmick wrote: didn't he float ideas like making users pay to tweet in the past or something lol

In dogecoin, as a method to weed out bots IIRC. Can't imagine it would inspire much posting, but on the other hand, an empty site would have fewer bots.

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 08:00:49

Non-Twitter Users talmbout how these employees were on the prowl for "hate speech" when what was obviously going on the whole time was wholesale suppression of conservative content and a large artificial boost to left wing content. It was manufactured consent, the social media app.

2016 Twitter was an entirely different beast. Internet freedom died when the dems felt like the people online weren't on their side anymore and that's an absolute fact.

No pods, no casters

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 09:46:09

At 10/28/22 12:39 AM, Yomuchan wrote:
inb4 DDOS XD

This.

DDoS mitigation can be turned off with one button if someone at Google doesn’t like you.

I hadn’t thought of that. I suspected a handful of holdovers would be constantly creating pitfalls for Musk. But his problems won’t just be internal but external as well.

Live free or die….

hello

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 09:50:02

Musk should start charging people $20 a month to stay verified and start adding turbo verification and outrageous verification

At 10/28/22 09:50 AM, Tsarfield wrote: Musk should start charging people $20 a month to stay verified and start adding turbo verification and outrageous verification

Also allow people to give posts Twitter gold, silver and platinum that way youll gain all the money you spent buying Twitter in no time.

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 11:59:51

At 10/28/22 09:50 AM, Tsarfield wrote: Musk should start charging people $20 a month to stay verified and start adding turbo verification and outrageous verification

He thought about doing something like this in order to move away from dependency on advertisements, but it looks like he's sticking with ad revenue as a business model.

(By the way, this is a must-read link for everyone who is desperately hoping they get to say the N-word on Twitter now. Even "free speech absolutist" Elon Musk, who has consistently demonstrated a poor understanding of free speech, recognizes that legal speech requires content moderation for the business to be successful.)

BBS Signature

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 12:04:21

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 12:23:33

At 10/28/22 11:59 AM, FinaLee wrote:
(By the way, this is a must-read link for everyone who is desperately hoping they get to say the N-word on Twitter now. Even "free speech absolutist" Elon Musk, who has consistently demonstrated a poor understanding of free speech, recognizes that legal speech requires content moderation for the business to be successful.)

yup, that's precisely why i say either virtually nothing will change or the site will be burned out and closed in a year or two

he quite literally can't afford to run the site as conservatives want him to, he already burned through a lot of capital just to make himself the CEO, he ain't gonna fund those servers and maintain a staff on subscription fees

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 12:28:32

And if gimmick accounts break character, they lose their official status and someone else is given them.

Gimmick accounts used to be funny, then they used their status they gained from being funny to being political or hyping products. Lame.

hello

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 12:29:48

At 10/28/22 11:59 AM, FinaLee wrote: everyone who is desperately hoping they get to say the N-word

This is needlessly reductionist to freedom of speech. Or you are just trying to poison the well of discourse.

hello

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 12:32:36

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585341984679469056?t=JLIeUH1990b3S5gVwRqLvQ&s=19

Hahahaha

Imagine spending $44bill just to trigger leftists

This thread is a gold mine

lel

BBS Signature

At 10/28/22 11:59 AM, FinaLee wrote:
He thought about doing something like this in order to move away from dependency on advertisements, but it looks like he's sticking with ad revenue as a business model.

Ive already seen people spam the N word already

Elon saying he bought Twitter out of his love of humanity and desire to save civilisation feels off. Im pretty sure he soley did this to pwn libs epic style

At 10/28/22 12:29 PM, FESTIVE-BUM-DRILLER wrote:
At 10/28/22 11:59 AM, FinaLee wrote: everyone who is desperately hoping they get to say the N-word
This is needlessly reductionist to freedom of speech. Or you are just trying to poison the well of discourse.

nah, he's just saying for everyone who does plan on this they're in for a surprise (and with #n*gg*r literally being a thing with groypers spamming the word everywhere yesterday these people do exist), since tos hasn't and probably isn't gonna go away due to the advertiser flight that'll happen if musk does get rid of TOS

if it doesn't apply to you then don't worry about it

this doesn't say everyone who wants "more free speech" just want to spam slurs, but there is certainly a subgroup of folk that do - i can attest to seeing plenty of it already, myself

EDIT: oh, this is a lovely (if hamfisted) article that sums up what y'all are in for in the near future

pretty much what folk like myself have been saying - it's quite literally capitalism that makes twitter do what it does, not "wokeness"

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 13:16:38

People whine about bad swears because that is the only argument against free speech lmao. Grow up and get over it. This is a company known for the censorship of sitting Presidents, international leaders, just about any rw account, and inconvenient news stories of political importance, all in the service of a single political party with no right to have such power over discourse in the first place.

No pods, no casters

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 13:20:44

At 10/28/22 01:16 PM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: People whine about bad swears because that is the only argument against free speech lmao.

advertisers and investors whine about bad swears, and they tend to get what they want

that's the thing that ain't clicking with ya, it was never leftists or "woke" folk that made a TOS necessary, it was always twitter's investors

it's gonna be really funny when either musk keeps twitter the same to appease investors or he rejects the investors and twitter closes shop in a year or so due to operational costs

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 13:31:45

At 10/28/22 12:32 PM, Sequenced wrote: https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1585341984679469056?t=JLIeUH1990b3S5gVwRqLvQ&s=19
Hahahaha

Imagine spending $44bill just to trigger leftists

This thread is a gold mine

I think it's kinda funny that you have all these people on the right being triggered by Twitter itself, because they think not being allowed to promote hate speech, misinformation, or violence, is somehow unfair to them, and are delighted at the prospect that a billionaire may change that for them in hopes that it will trigger people on the left....

Response to Musk Twitter deal collapses 2022-10-28 13:39:19

At 10/28/22 01:20 PM, Gario wrote:
: At 10/28/22 01:16 PM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote:
: : People whine about bad swears because that is the only argument against free speech lmao.
:
: advertisers and investors whine about bad swears, and they tend to get what they want

Won't someone care about the advertisers and investors?! The humanity!

It doesn't escape my notice that for the last half decade a big part of "cancel culture" was focusing on contacting these advertisers and investors directly in order to scare them into dropping right leaning people. It's a great way for an organized and evil minority to have far more influence than their numbers or the merit of their ideas warrant, but it's not great for a democratic society that values freedom of speech. The only good kind.

No pods, no casters

At 10/28/22 01:16 PM, GenericDungeonSlime wrote: People whine about bad swears because that is the only argument against free speech lmao. Grow up and get over it. This is a company known for the censorship of sitting Presidents, international leaders, just about any rw account, and inconvenient news stories of political importance, all in the service of a single political party with no right to have such power over discourse in the first place.

You mean a president who incited an attempted insurrection that led to hundreds of capital police hurt and millions in damages, at the heart of our democracy, over lies he promoted about an election - simply because he is a snowflake and couldn't handle being called a LOSER. Please stop virtual signaling, only to groin stomp the shit out of it in the same breath. This shit really just makes you look like an insincere idiot.

As stated above, a lot of Twitter employees were recently fired for their views.

Is it possible a group of them got together in private to make these bot accounts spamming slurs as revenge? The people that would know how to dip and duck around the algorithm best would be former executives who created it.

As stated before as well, Twitter has always had a problem with verifying real people from bot farms.

It’s certainly possible.

hello