00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Hauntir just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Invitation to Submit to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2

14,124 Views | 180 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

About a decade ago or so, an inspired NG’er invited anyone from the Writing Forum to contribute to a collection of creative writing with a simple goal: Make a book you can hold in your hands.

Though maybe not as novel as it once was, I still think the idea of opening a book and seeing YOUR STORY being told from it is a surreal experience. A book is not just a record of prose, but a landmark in a writer’s lifetime, and you only recognize it as such the first time you open that thing you helped create. We often forget who our past selves were, or what it felt like to be those selves. You read what someone, somewhere thought was good enough to publish and are like “This is mine? THIS IS ME?” 

Ten years ago, around 20 people, including myself, answered that NG'er's invitation. We got together and made Newgrounds history happen here on the Writing Forum.

Ten years later, I think it’s time for a new crop of writers to get the chance to tell their stories. So without further ado.

WELCOME TO THE NEWGROUNDS WRITING ANTHOLOGY 2.0 (redux, parte duo, the revenge, etc).

If you are a writer with passion, skill and a desire to take your work to the next level, consider this your personal invite TO TEST YOUR TALENTS, TELL YOUR STORY AND POTENTIALLY GET YOUR WORK PUBLISHED!

Enough talking! HERE IS HOW THIS WILL WORK…….. READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING.

FIRST, you will write something awesome that fits into one of these categories

Poetry (Limit 4 per author)

Comic Strips or Graphic Storytelling (Limit Varies)

Novellas (17,500-40,000 words) (Limit 1 per author)

Novelettes (7,500-17,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)

Short Stories (1,000-7,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)

Flash Fiction (1,000 words or less) (Limit 2 per author)

Vignettes (Plotless fiction) (Limit varies)

Screenplays (Film, TV) (Limit 1 per author)

Stageplays (plays, sketches, musicals) (Limit 1 per author)

Foreign Language Writing (with English Translation Attached) (Limit varies)

Creative Non-fiction (Limit varies)

SECOND: Like last time, there are no restrictions on the content of your story or poetry. We prefer ORIGINAL WORKS that have not been published before. No theme, no censorship you have to worry about, no boxes, the only parameter that paraMATTERS is QUALITY. We want juicy, juicy words.

THIRD: You will perfect your work.

FOURTH: You will submit your work to Writing dot NG at Gmail dot com

DEADLINE: This is no strict deadline and we will keep going until there is enough content to publish. Seeing as November is novel-writing month, I’d like to start seeing submissions by the end of November. 

The sooner you get your stuff in, the sooner it will see the light of day.

IF ACCEPTED:

You will be offered the chance to workshop with an editor to perfect your piece (I know you perfected it before you submitted, but you were mistaken).

After workshopping you will be offered a contract (you’re keeping all rights to your story, and we will have profit-share).

You will get a free copy of the eventual printed edition of the book (Currently Untitled).

IF YOU’RE NOT ACCEPTED

If we like your writing, we may ask to heavily revise your work. Or sometimes, we might just want to see what else you are capable of. 

If we reject you outright, it is likely because of one of the reasons below….

THINGS THAT WILL DISQUALIFY YOU

Low Effort Submissions (riddled in errors, spelling mistakes, bad grammar, etc.)

Non-English entries without a good English Translation 

Inexperience 

Being a Tool, Ass, Cake-sniffer, or Punk-ass bitch.

Feel free to DM and feel free to question/discuss/workshop your piece ofthe project or the project as a whole here.

HAPPY WRITING, NEWGROUNDS!

this sounds fun, can you have more than 2 stories?

professional putter togetherer

favorite inspirational quote

horniest BBS user UwU Nya~

BBS Signature

At 10/25/21 05:13 PM, anymany wrote: this sounds fun, can you have more than 2 stories?

Thanks for reminding me what I forgot to put there.

So you can only have one short story that is over 1,000. But you can have a short story that is over 1,000 and also a story that is under 1,000.

Of course, if your stories are great and you're really nice to me, who knows ;)

At 10/25/21 05:22 PM, EKublai wrote:
At 10/25/21 05:13 PM, anymany wrote: this sounds fun, can you have more than 2 stories?
So you can only have one short story that is over 1,000. But you can have a short story that is over 1,000 and also a story that is under 1,000.

so like if your stories are from different categories, like 1 poem and 1 short story?

professional putter togetherer

favorite inspirational quote

horniest BBS user UwU Nya~

BBS Signature

At 10/25/21 05:30 PM, anymany wrote:
At 10/25/21 05:22 PM, EKublai wrote:

so like if your stories are from different categories, like 1 poem and 1 short story?

You got it.

At 10/25/21 05:03 PM, EKublai wrote: About a decade ago or so, an inspired NG’er invited anyone from the Writing Forum to contribute to a collection of creative writing with a simple goal: Make a book you can hold in your hands.

Though maybe not as novel as it once was, I still think the idea of opening a book and seeing YOUR STORY being told from it is a surreal experience. A book is not just a record of prose, but a landmark in a writer’s lifetime, and you only recognize it as such the first time you open that thing you helped create. We often forget who our past selves were, or what it felt like to be those selves. You read what someone, somewhere thought was good enough to publish and are like “This is mine? THIS IS ME?” 

Ten years ago, around 20 people, including myself, answered that NG'er's invitation. We got together and made Newgrounds history happen here on the Writing Forum.

Ten years later, I think it’s time for a new crop of writers to get the chance to tell their stories. So without further ado.

WELCOME TO THE NEWGROUNDS WRITING ANTHOLOGY 2.0 (redux, parte duo, the revenge, etc).

If you are a writer with passion, skill and a desire to take your work to the next level, consider this your personal invite TO TEST YOUR TALENTS, TELL YOUR STORY AND POTENTIALLY GET YOUR WORK PUBLISHED!

Enough talking! HERE IS HOW THIS WILL WORK…….. READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING.

FIRST, you will write something awesome that fits into one of these categories

Poetry (Limit 4 per author)
Comic Strips or Graphic Storytelling (Limit Varies)
Novellas (17,500-40,000 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Novelettes (7,500-17,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Short Stories (1,000-7,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Flash Fiction (1,000 words or less) (Limit 2 per author)
Vignettes (Plotless fiction) (Limit varies)
Screenplays (Film, TV) (Limit 1 per author)
Stageplays (plays, sketches, musicals) (Limit 1 per author)
Foreign Language Writing (with English Translation Attached) (Limit varies)
Creative Non-fiction (Limit varies)

SECOND: Like last time, there are no restrictions on the content of your story or poetry. We prefer ORIGINAL WORKS that have not been published before. No theme, no censorship you have to worry about, no boxes, the only parameter that paraMATTERS is QUALITY. We want juicy, juicy words.

THIRD: You will perfect your work.

FOURTH: You will submit your work to Writing dot NG at Gmail dot com

DEADLINE: This is no strict deadline and we will keep going until there is enough content to publish. Seeing as November is novel-writing month, I’d like to start seeing submissions by the end of November. 
The sooner you get your stuff in, the sooner it will see the light of day.

IF ACCEPTED:

You will be offered the chance to workshop with an editor to perfect your piece (I know you perfected it before you submitted, but you were mistaken).
After workshopping you will be offered a contract (you’re keeping all rights to your story, and we will have profit-share).

You will get a free copy of the eventual printed edition of the book (Currently Untitled).

IF YOU’RE NOT ACCEPTED

If we like your writing, we may ask to heavily revise your work. Or sometimes, we might just want to see what else you are capable of. 
If we reject you outright, it is likely because of one of the reasons below….

THINGS THAT WILL DISQUALIFY YOU

Low Effort Submissions (riddled in errors, spelling mistakes, bad grammar, etc.)
Non-English entries without a good English Translation 
Inexperience 
Being a Tool, Ass, Cake-sniffer, or Punk-ass bitch.

Feel free to DM and feel free to question/discuss/workshop your piece ofthe project or the project as a whole here.

HAPPY WRITING, NEWGROUNDS!

Fuck yeah! Let's do this!

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

I love this! I'd like to write a short story for it.

So I want to make sure I understand.

There isn't a theme? We can just write about whatever we like?

| It is possible to commit no mistakes and still lose|||Love belongs to Desire, and Desire is always cruel.||||

BBS Signature

At 10/25/21 06:22 PM, VariantSeven wrote: I love this! I'd like to write a short story for it.
So I want to make sure I understand.
There isn't a theme? We can just write about whatever we like?

Whatever you like as long as it's good.

I'm down. I can fill many of these categories, but I am receptive to focus on only one. Which has a greater need of entries?

-Formerly known as Phobotech-

Voice Actor / Pre-Production Animator / Illustrator / T-Shirt Designer / Author

"I sail through a golden nexus. By tanks with armor that glisten. I watch and I play with creations, and what I'm not reading, I listen." <-

BBS Signature

This sounds awesome. Super excited, hope I make the cut.

At 10/25/21 05:03 PM, EKublai wrote: We prefer ORIGINAL WORKS that have not been published before.

I have a handful of works - a poem, a novella, and two short stories - of which only one has been published so far. I can't say for certain which would be most impressive relative to quality standards. Would it be better to submit an unpublished story even if I think it might be less impressive?

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Sounds cool i hope the best for the people joining

AS SOON AS I DIE I WOULD LIVE

BBS Signature

At 10/25/21 08:04 PM, Kwing wrote:
At 10/25/21 05:03 PM, EKublai wrote: We prefer ORIGINAL WORKS that have not been published before.
I have a handful of works - a poem, a novella, and two short stories - of which only one has been published so far. I can't say for certain which would be most impressive relative to quality standards. Would it be better to submit an unpublished story even if I think it might be less impressive?

Unpublished would be preferred. No matter how many you submit, they'll be judged on their individual merits and with respect to the category limits.

I will start my work on something in the short story to novelette range. I'm prepared to workshop with others, as well. I can offer hard criticism both in terms of style as well as structure.

Can't wait to see where this goes!

This sounds awesome! Count me in as the poet and vignette gal!

EPIC ART COMICS AND MORE

BBS Signature

Say, 'y'stil got a room for Graphic Stories, maybe mixed in with a Vignette? Cause I can fill in for that.

BBS Signature

At 10/26/21 01:06 AM, shintsukimi205 wrote: Say, 'y'stil got a room for Graphic Stories, maybe mixed in with a Vignette? Cause I can fill in for that.

Go for it!

At 10/26/21 12:10 AM, L-Tropica wrote: This sounds awesome! Count me in as the poet and vignette gal!

Counted!

At 10/26/21 01:17 AM, EKublai wrote:
At 10/26/21 01:06 AM, shintsukimi205 wrote: Say, 'y'stil got a room for Graphic Stories, maybe mixed in with a Vignette? Cause I can fill in for that.
Go for it!

You bet I will!

BBS Signature

Cool to see that this is finally happening. I need to start writing something.

Wut iz uh siknachur?-Meddy

BBS Signature

yesyesyes im joining yes

Expect something from me. I don't know what it will be but do expect something. I have been doing a lot of military fiction but I have wanted to write either detective noir or something LOTR type fantasy (not actually in the LOTR world though). I can't wait to be a part of this project. I will also help edit after I get a submission posted. If you guys need/want another editor.

Writer, Unabated

BBS Signature

*cracks knuckles* Let's do this.

Just another nobody trying hard to be a somebody.

I'm in, but I'm still considering what I could do.

Oooo, this sounds very promising and exciting! November is indeed writing month, so maybe I should try to go back and actually, finally finish / re-write / whittle down one of my old projects... All of them have been on the backburner for so long, they're probably black and charred by now. xD

Do we DM specific people to garner advice / etc. about the copy-script we're working on before finalizing it, or just post it up here? I'm probably going to write a novella and 40k words is a lot to go by on NG forums, so would it be best to just link to an open Google Doc or something?

Music. Art. Writing. Love.

BBS Signature

At 10/27/21 11:41 AM, TheVodouQueen wrote: Oooo, this sounds very promising and exciting! November is indeed writing month, so maybe I should try to go back and actually, finally finish / re-write / whittle down one of my old projects... All of them have been on the backburner for so long, they're probably black and charred by now. xD

Do we DM specific people to garner advice / etc. about the copy-script we're working on before finalizing it, or just post it up here? I'm probably going to write a novella and 40k words is a lot to go by on NG forums, so would it be best to just link to an open Google Doc or something?

My understanding (or interpretation?) of the thread was that we send an early draft (not totally polished) to the email in the OP, and then from there the writing would be sent around for critique, editing, workshopping, etc. I might be wrong about this, but that's how I understood the post. I would also like some clarification on this, though.

If you want to discuss any broad concept stuff or just spitball ideas, I'd be more than happy to chat through PMs. I had some ideas I wanted to flesh out a little before getting down to the actual writing part.

At 10/27/21 11:41 AM, TheVodouQueen wrote: Oooo, this sounds very promising and exciting! November is indeed writing month, so maybe I should try to go back and actually, finally finish / re-write / whittle down one of my old projects... All of them have been on the backburner for so long, they're probably black and charred by now. xD

i leave that up to you. I won’t be reading anything that isn’t ready, so Don’t send in WIP to the anthology email.

At 10/27/21 01:00 PM, OlTroutBlossom wrote:

My understanding (or interpretation?) of the thread was that we send an early draft (not totally polished) to the email in the OP, and then from there the writing would be sent around for critique, editing, workshopping, etc. I might be wrong about this, but that's how I understood the post. I would also like some clarification on this, though.

If you want to discuss any broad concept stuff or just spitball ideas, I'd be more than happy to chat through PMs. I had some ideas I wanted to flesh out a little before getting down to the actual writing part.

Before workshopping happens, you must be accepted into the anthology. Please do not submit anything but your best effort. That means proofread, and in a condition you believe is fit for publication. As editor-in-chief, it’s my responsibility to make sure it is.

At 10/27/21 02:52 PM, EKublai wrote:
At 10/27/21 01:00 PM, OlTroutBlossom wrote:

Before workshopping happens, you must be accepted into the anthology. Please do not submit anything but your best effort. That means proofread, and in a condition you believe is fit for publication. As editor-in-chief, it’s my responsibility to make sure it is.

So, we can't workshop the work unless it's finished and final? You said WIP are not allowed, so it sounds like some form of 99.9% completion of whatever you're writing has to be done beforehand?

Sorry, I am just trying to reach clarification because most times if something is being WIP'd for an anthology you'd want it workshopped before and after the fact, by some means or measures. This is if a finished product is needed to be accepted in the first place.

I'd guess if we want advice or aid / help outside or before the finished product, we'd have to do that by DMing each other, not on the forum or by you?

Music. Art. Writing. Love.

BBS Signature