00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Invitation to Submit to The Newgrounds Writing Anthology 2

14,050 Views | 180 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

AYO WADDUP WITH THIS CMON LESSGOOOOO! Less get this book done bros/sisses/non-either?

"It's sad. All these kids have to do school at home. Homeschooling. How long until a teacher fucks one of her students?" - Mark Normand

OOOOOOoooh fiddlesticks, what now

BBS Signature

Any updates?

Music. Art. Writing. Love.

BBS Signature

Hey Folks,

Quick Update.

I have sent confirmation of receipt to everyone who has submitted.

I have two projects that are in my way before I can fully focus on this project.

1. I'm developing a movie idea that requires extensive reading.
  2. I have a novelist girlfriend who just completed a first draft so I'm reading that and giving notes first
  3. This project.

So now you know what's the hold up. I know everyone is very eager for this project to get going. I'm excited, too. I think the thing I didn't anticipate was how easy it was back in college to skip doing homework in order to focus on the first project. I'm in the process of fixing my mindset for the focus this requires (mostly in the form of playing less video games)

When I decided to kick this off, I told myself that I wasn't going to sacrifice quality or care in order to rush it out the door. Basically, I'm not going to let anything anything I haven't read and edited myself. So now with all the cards on the table, let's sort of reset our expectations. I will be reading everything soon. I promise.

Things I/we'll be thinking about as things roll along.

1. A Kickstarter for all things listed below
  2. Cover art (The first one had a purple color theme. What should this one have? Green? Baby Blue? Bright Orange? A mix? ref: https://www.amazon.com/Newgrounds-Writing-Anthology-Poetry-Stories-ebook/dp/B00W30P19A
  3. Printing costs
  4. Audiobook
  5. Relaunch of the first book + audiobook
  6. promotion

Anyway, sorry for the silence. Back to it.

At 10/25/21 05:03 PM, EKublai wrote: About a decade ago or so, an inspired NG’er invited anyone from the Writing Forum to contribute to a collection of creative writing with a simple goal: Make a book you can hold in your hands.

Though maybe not as novel as it once was, I still think the idea of opening a book and seeing YOUR STORY being told from it is a surreal experience. A book is not just a record of prose, but a landmark in a writer’s lifetime, and you only recognize it as such the first time you open that thing you helped create. We often forget who our past selves were, or what it felt like to be those selves. You read what someone, somewhere thought was good enough to publish and are like “This is mine? THIS IS ME?” 

Ten years ago, around 20 people, including myself, answered that NG'er's invitation. We got together and made Newgrounds history happen here on the Writing Forum.

Ten years later, I think it’s time for a new crop of writers to get the chance to tell their stories. So without further ado.

WELCOME TO THE NEWGROUNDS WRITING ANTHOLOGY 2.0 (redux, parte duo, the revenge, etc).

If you are a writer with passion, skill and a desire to take your work to the next level, consider this your personal invite TO TEST YOUR TALENTS, TELL YOUR STORY AND POTENTIALLY GET YOUR WORK PUBLISHED!

Enough talking! HERE IS HOW THIS WILL WORK…….. READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING.

FIRST, you will write something awesome that fits into one of these categories

Poetry (Limit 4 per author)
Comic Strips or Graphic Storytelling (Limit Varies)
Novellas (17,500-40,000 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Novelettes (7,500-17,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Short Stories (1,000-7,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Flash Fiction (1,000 words or less) (Limit 2 per author)
Vignettes (Plotless fiction) (Limit varies)
Screenplays (Film, TV) (Limit 1 per author)
Stageplays (plays, sketches, musicals) (Limit 1 per author)
Foreign Language Writing (with English Translation Attached) (Limit varies)
Creative Non-fiction (Limit varies)

SECOND: Like last time, there are no restrictions on the content of your story or poetry. We prefer ORIGINAL WORKS that have not been published before. No theme, no censorship you have to worry about, no boxes, the only parameter that paraMATTERS is QUALITY. We want juicy, juicy words.

THIRD: You will perfect your work.

FOURTH: You will submit your work to Writing dot NG at Gmail dot com

DEADLINE: This is no strict deadline and we will keep going until there is enough content to publish. Seeing as November is novel-writing month, I’d like to start seeing submissions by the end of November. 
The sooner you get your stuff in, the sooner it will see the light of day.

IF ACCEPTED:

You will be offered the chance to workshop with an editor to perfect your piece (I know you perfected it before you submitted, but you were mistaken).
After workshopping you will be offered a contract (you’re keeping all rights to your story, and we will have profit-share).

You will get a free copy of the eventual printed edition of the book (Currently Untitled).

IF YOU’RE NOT ACCEPTED

If we like your writing, we may ask to heavily revise your work. Or sometimes, we might just want to see what else you are capable of. 
If we reject you outright, it is likely because of one of the reasons below….

THINGS THAT WILL DISQUALIFY YOU

Low Effort Submissions (riddled in errors, spelling mistakes, bad grammar, etc.)
Non-English entries without a good English Translation 
Inexperience 
Being a Tool, Ass, Cake-sniffer, or Punk-ass bitch.

Feel free to DM and feel free to question/discuss/workshop your piece ofthe project or the project as a whole here.

HAPPY WRITING, NEWGROUNDS!

I can’t remember if I was accepted or not

Was the email Writing(dot)NG(at)Gmail(dot)com? I sent my submissions on November, 30th, 2021 and never got a confirmation.

I am just a happy clam trying to tend to my clam ways.

At 4/4/22 07:44 PM, HappyClamProduction wrote: Was the email Writing(dot)NG(at)Gmail(dot)com? I sent my submissions on November, 30th, 2021 and never got a confirmation.

Same

At 4/4/22 02:43 PM, EKublai wrote: Hey Folks

What kind of costs? I'll contribute to some of the printing cost - if you can, in your spare time (no rush here, seriously, I know life gets in the way of your dreams) figure that aspect out.

"It's sad. All these kids have to do school at home. Homeschooling. How long until a teacher fucks one of her students?" - Mark Normand

Oh, also, on the color scheme for the cover... aqua-green could be super cool, like in the palette files here that were meant to be reserved for the Lit Portal.

I don't mean to pry, but I didn't receive a confirmation that my submission was received. My email address is REALLY new so I hope it didn't get put into the spam folder. I don't mind rejection, I just don't want my submissions to go into the trash before anyone even read them. Hehe. Sorry for the bother. ( ̄▽ ̄*)ゞ

I didn't receive any email. I submitted three poems and a short story and I still didn't get any confirmation email.

I hope I will get a notification.

Oh, and about the cover art... Aqua-green would be fine.

What doesn't kill you makes you gain EXP :)))

BBS Signature

For all the folks saying they didn't get confirmation: I messaged EKublai a few weeks ago after having the same issue, and he confirmed that my initial email did go through, he just had to search in a different place for it. My guess is that some auto-filter on Google's end might've sent it to the wrong folder or something, but the moral of the story is that it did go through. I'm assuming the same happened for most other people in here, and your writing did get sent. I know EKublai's juggling a couple of other projects right now, so I felt like it'd probably be a little less stress on everyone's plate to put that out there.

At 4/24/22 11:59 AM, Intrapath wrote: For all the folks saying they didn't get confirmation: I messaged EKublai a few weeks ago after having the same issue, and he confirmed that my initial email did go through, he just had to search in a different place for it. My guess is that some auto-filter on Google's end might've sent it to the wrong folder or something, but the moral of the story is that it did go through. I'm assuming the same happened for most other people in here, and your writing did get sent. I know EKublai's juggling a couple of other projects right now, so I felt like it'd probably be a little less stress on everyone's plate to put that out there.

That is appreciated. Thank you.

Alright! Sorry for the false start, folks, but I am officially back in the weeds of this project and will update you much more often about how it’s going. As such, I need to do a complete reset and take stock of what we have to work with, but I’ll come out a submission list (not an publication list, just further proof I’m working through these) sometime this week.

Thanks for your patience!

At 7/11/22 05:08 PM, EKublai wrote: Alright! Sorry for the false start, folks, but I am officially back in the weeds of this project and will update you much more often about how it’s going. As such, I need to do a complete reset and take stock of what we have to work with, but I’ll come out a submission list (not an publication list, just further proof I’m working through these) sometime this week.

Thanks I hope my story is still included

At 7/11/22 05:08 PM, EKublai wrote: Alright! Sorry for the false start, folks, but I am officially back in the weeds of this project and will update you much more often about how it’s going. As such, I need to do a complete reset and take stock of what we have to work with, but I’ll come out a submission list (not an publication list, just further proof I’m working through these) sometime this week.

I wrote a new story since the last time you posted, would you be interested in having it submitted?

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.

Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

At 7/12/22 10:48 AM, Kwing wrote:

I wrote a new story since the last time you posted, would you be interested in having it submitted?

At 7/12/22 02:24 PM, BaconBob9000 wrote:
At 7/12/22 10:48 AM, Kwing wrote:

yes

Is it too late to submit something?

At 8/1/22 08:52 PM, Zyolluax wrote: Is it too late to submit something?

no but I am getting close to done reading, so please submit soon.

At 8/11/22 03:12 PM, EKublai wrote:

Apologies for the (repeated) reply, if by chance you still remember this question but-

What slots are still ‘open’ exactly?-

BBS Signature

At 8/12/22 02:09 AM, shintsukimi205 wrote:
At 8/11/22 03:12 PM, EKublai wrote:
Apologies for the (repeated) reply, if by chance you still remember this question but-
What slots are still ‘open’ exactly?-

did I says slots? Sorry if I did. There are no slots. I want as much quality as I can get in around 2-300 pages.

So is this still happening?

At 10/25/21 05:03 PM, EKublai wrote: About a decade ago or so, an inspired NG’er invited anyone from the Writing Forum to contribute to a collection of creative writing with a simple goal: Make a book you can hold in your hands.

Though maybe not as novel as it once was, I still think the idea of opening a book and seeing YOUR STORY being told from it is a surreal experience. A book is not just a record of prose, but a landmark in a writer’s lifetime, and you only recognize it as such the first time you open that thing you helped create. We often forget who our past selves were, or what it felt like to be those selves. You read what someone, somewhere thought was good enough to publish and are like “This is mine? THIS IS ME?” 

Ten years ago, around 20 people, including myself, answered that NG'er's invitation. We got together and made Newgrounds history happen here on the Writing Forum.

Ten years later, I think it’s time for a new crop of writers to get the chance to tell their stories. So without further ado.

WELCOME TO THE NEWGROUNDS WRITING ANTHOLOGY 2.0 (redux, parte duo, the revenge, etc).

If you are a writer with passion, skill and a desire to take your work to the next level, consider this your personal invite TO TEST YOUR TALENTS, TELL YOUR STORY AND POTENTIALLY GET YOUR WORK PUBLISHED!

Enough talking! HERE IS HOW THIS WILL WORK…….. READ THIS BEFORE SUBMITTING.

FIRST, you will write something awesome that fits into one of these categories

Poetry (Limit 4 per author)
Comic Strips or Graphic Storytelling (Limit Varies)
Novellas (17,500-40,000 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Novelettes (7,500-17,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Short Stories (1,000-7,500 words) (Limit 1 per author)
Flash Fiction (1,000 words or less) (Limit 2 per author)
Vignettes (Plotless fiction) (Limit varies)
Screenplays (Film, TV) (Limit 1 per author)
Stageplays (plays, sketches, musicals) (Limit 1 per author)
Foreign Language Writing (with English Translation Attached) (Limit varies)
Creative Non-fiction (Limit varies)

SECOND: Like last time, there are no restrictions on the content of your story or poetry. We prefer ORIGINAL WORKS that have not been published before. No theme, no censorship you have to worry about, no boxes, the only parameter that paraMATTERS is QUALITY. We want juicy, juicy words.

THIRD: You will perfect your work.

FOURTH: You will submit your work to Writing dot NG at Gmail dot com

DEADLINE: This is no strict deadline and we will keep going until there is enough content to publish. Seeing as November is novel-writing month, I’d like to start seeing submissions by the end of November. 
The sooner you get your stuff in, the sooner it will see the light of day.

IF ACCEPTED:

You will be offered the chance to workshop with an editor to perfect your piece (I know you perfected it before you submitted, but you were mistaken).
After workshopping you will be offered a contract (you’re keeping all rights to your story, and we will have profit-share).

You will get a free copy of the eventual printed edition of the book (Currently Untitled).

IF YOU’RE NOT ACCEPTED

If we like your writing, we may ask to heavily revise your work. Or sometimes, we might just want to see what else you are capable of. 
If we reject you outright, it is likely because of one of the reasons below….

THINGS THAT WILL DISQUALIFY YOU

Low Effort Submissions (riddled in errors, spelling mistakes, bad grammar, etc.)
Non-English entries without a good English Translation 
Inexperience 
Being a Tool, Ass, Cake-sniffer, or Punk-ass bitch.

Feel free to DM and feel free to question/discuss/workshop your piece ofthe project or the project as a whole here.

HAPPY WRITING, NEWGROUNDS!

This looks pretty interesting. :D

Hello, I am a beginning game developer who would appreciate feedback on their game!

Bubble Trouble! (newgrounds.com)

At 4/15/23 05:36 AM, AXOLOTLE wrote: So is this still happening?

I just realized the last update from EKublai was August 11, 2022. Has anyone else heard anything?

I am just a happy clam trying to tend to my clam ways.

At 10/2/23 12:15 AM, HappyClamProduction wrote:
At 4/15/23 05:36 AM, AXOLOTLE wrote: So is this still happening?
I just realized the last update from EKublai was August 11, 2022. Has anyone else heard anything?

Don’t know

I would love to know too... I have a short story I could submit!

At 10/3/23 04:20 AM, nineVoltable wrote: I would love to know too... I have a short story I could submit!

I think it would probably be too late for this project, but I do know that @Jamriot has been hosting writing jams and has a writing Discord server if you're looking to share stories!

At 10/3/23 09:30 AM, Intrapath wrote:
At 10/3/23 04:20 AM, nineVoltable wrote: I would love to know too... I have a short story I could submit!
I think it would probably be too late for this project, but I do know that @Jamriot has been hosting writing jams and has a writing Discord server if you're looking to share stories!

That's right! The first Writer's Jam concluded in early September, but the second one will be hosted before the end of the year, so definitely check out my page for info on that if you'd be interested! If not, the Discord is still a great place to share your stories and get feedback :)

Hi all,

So the low down of this is I was not particularly inspired by the quality and bouquet of submissions i was receiving. There was some good stuff, but even then they didn’t mesh well or were so long that they would take up have the book. I promised myself that I would only head up another anthology that matched or exceeded the quality of the previous and so far, the submissions just aren’t there.

On the other side of this is that life is long and great things can come to those who wait. The submission account isn’t going anywhere so people will always be free to send hero work in.

but this could take a long time.