00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Lmaoghosthh just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

how get good at music?

1,757 Views | 38 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

how get good at music? 2021-10-02 19:03:09

how?

please explain i have been cryingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg for the pat 4 hoursb about ths someone pleas hel p

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-02 20:59:08

As in "How do I get good at playing a specific instrument?" or "How do I get good at composing original songs?"?

Don't mind me I'm just here because I'm not a productive member of society

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-02 22:37:48

I wish I knew that too

I've been analyzing songs a lot I think that might be a good way to get better, I always look at the midi in an editor if I can find a midi of a song I like

I don't know if music theory really helps, a lot of great musicians and composers never had to learn shit about music theory, still it might help iunno

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-02 23:56:58

learn 4 chords on guitar and then you can play 100 pop songs in the last century

lel

BBS Signature

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-02 23:59:17 (edited 2021-10-03 00:00:37)

Practice. Still not good? More practice. Still not enough practice? Practice some more. That's all it boils down in the end. How long? Long. After months you may begin to see results, but realistically it will take years to "get good". Honestly I'm not sure such a point exists. It's a lofty goal. 4 hours is absolutely nothing, especially if you waste it crying because you suck at music after only 4 hours of doing nothing but crying. Roll up your sleeves and practice.

Practice instrumental skills, practice your production skills. Sit down at/with your instrument, have fun. Don't play an instrument? Practice your DAW. After you're comfortable enough in your given DAW (or whatever, use a tracker for all I care), start learning theory. Practice, have fun, don't be afraid to suck.

It's all about practice. There are no cheat codes. So start practicing.

TL;DR: practice

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-03 23:25:16

At 10/2/21 07:03 PM, RadicoolFool37 wrote: how?

What kind of music do you want to make?

Does it require you play instruments or emulate instruments?

Is there singing?

Do you want to be a composer?

Do you want to go fully digital or near fully digital? It's what I did.

I try to stay in the loop of free plugins and sales, as really, software makes a huge difference. Raw recordings need to be processed. Synths need FX. Etc.

YouTube university is honestly how I learned to do just about everything I do. There are all kinds of how to videos for anything you could want, need, or imagine. You just need the patience to spread out your enthusiasm long enough to learn how to do the things you want -- and don't get caught in the trap of cheating with premade song kits and projects, or you'll never realize your dream.

Be an individual, and at the same time recognize that there isn't a need to reinvent the wheel. The best way to learn is by following others' example, and once you've got that down, experiment. Learn the rules of making music, so you can choose to break them and do it beautifully.

Your source for monthly music producer freebies here // Take My Cymbals // ALL my big sample projects, FREE

I do professional audio critique & commissions. Catch me on YT and X! If you got music, I'll playlist you!

BBS Signature

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-04 00:01:33

i wana make kawai sprite music :)

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-04 00:05:49

good at composing music, not smart enough to actually play an instrument

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-04 00:06:01

spem

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-04 00:50:41

Practice and repetition.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 14:53:35

Practice, of course, also decides many years of training.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 15:59:47

please explain i have been cryingggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg for the pat 4 hoursb about ths someone pleas hel p

Probably just mess around in fl studio or any other music application and go ham.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 16:19:42

So, you start by making music, right

And then you make more music

And you keep making music

At the same time, you watch/read stuff about music, you analyze music, you live music

And then eventually if you keep doing that in a year or two you'll get good at music to some extent probably

BBS Signature

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 16:40:59

How does one 'get' anything? By 'taking' things of course. And you know what they say: 'can't get without taking'.

According to that theory: if you want to get good at music, you have to take good music. Take it. Take it all! Take all the good music!! ha...Ha..!...Hahaha!.!... mwuahahaHAAHAAAAAA!! ALL THE MUSIC BELLONGS TO ME NOW!! It's all mine! IT'S ALL MIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINE!!!

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 17:19:26

At 10/4/21 12:05 AM, RadicoolFool37 wrote: good at composing music, not smart enough to actually play an instrument

If you can compose, get a program like Musescore. You put your music in with notes for the different instruments and the program can play it.

See my profile page for link to showroom

BBS Signature

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 20:12:10

From what I have observed. Each genre of music has a specific pattern. I mean that in terms of beats, chords, tempos, pitches and all that. So, you can start by listening to some instrumentals and with your ears trying to pick out individual instruments in a song. Does the music have vocals in it? You can try harmonizing to see what you like and don't like, use simple, but specific patterns.

You say you want to do Kawaii Sprite music. I dunno what that is, but assuming it is like this video

kawai sprite - kitty business

I would say that sounds like Alternative/Indie music with a lot of claps and sfx. Notice like most songs, the beat is ambient-that is to say a lot of the instrumentals loop a LOT. This is typical for most music/beats and you should have this as well.

So from I have observed: Get an iconic sound in the instrumental-get a good riff going and simply just add little bits and pieces of other instruments to parts after the loop to complement the energy of the song that keeps the same tone.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 20:49:01

kitty business is a good song but the best kawaii sprite song there are much better ones he's made in the past, like 100 or hypochondriac (from Chuckie finster album)

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 23:23:13

Why compose like someone else when you can compose like yourself?

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 23:39:49

nice generic response!

anyways i do music sometimes i still have yet to be good or find my style yet

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-08 23:52:09

At 10/8/21 11:39 PM, RadicoolFool37 wrote: nice generic response!

It's not generic when you have to go through hell and high water to find your own style, be picked on for even trying that style, or for being one of a tiny handful of people who do music in that sort of ballpark of styles.

You said you like KawaiSprite. Is there anyone else whose music you actually like? Perhaps your style could start as a combination of all your influences before branching off into its own thing.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 00:47:23

At 10/8/21 11:52 PM, Troisnyx wrote:
It's not generic when you have to go through hell and high water to find your own style, be picked on for even trying that style, or for being one of a tiny handful of people who do music in that sort of ballpark of styles.

You said you like KawaiSprite. Is there anyone else whose music you actually like? Perhaps your style could start as a combination of all your influences before branching off into its own thing.

I pretty much already said that...

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 00:55:30

i do listen to music outside of issac and really enjoy yet i don't follow any of them to the religious extent of kawaii sprite

i mean,i listened to graduation in full and enjoyed it

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 00:58:15

should i listen 2 uh

the smosh album...?

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 02:31:26

At 10/9/21 12:47 AM, IlliterateBarbarianG wrote:

Sometimes a message has to be said a few times for it to get through, amirite?

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 02:33:26

At 10/9/21 12:58 AM, RadicoolFool37 wrote: should i listen 2 uh
the smosh album...?

No harm in broadening your horizons with that (or with any other music). The point is to find things you like about a piece of music, and if you see yourself doing it, assimilating it into your own pieces.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 02:34:33

At 10/9/21 02:31 AM, Troisnyx wrote:
At 10/9/21 12:47 AM, IlliterateBarbarianG wrote:

Sometimes a message has to be said a few times for it to get through, amirite?

Youarerite.

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 19:38:03

You'll never truly be good at music, as being "good" will depend on who you ask. As for yourself, the moment you think you're good enough at something is the moment you'll stop improving. So instead focus on getting better, rather than just getting good.

Celebrate every track you make, knowing that it's a stepping stone towards improving. Seek feedback, consider their opinions, and don't take the criticism to heart.

Learn a DAW, maybe some theory, but also leave some time for fun and experimentation.

Find your inspiration by listening to other music, looking at art, playing games, or watching movies.

BBS Signature

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 20:05:09 (edited 2021-10-09 20:07:40)

*what is considered good within the typical conventions of music industry and general public, in most cases for every genre that a track falls into

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 20:06:24

At 10/9/21 08:05 PM, RadicoolFool37 wrote: *what is considered good within the typical conventions of music industry and general public, in most cases for every genre that a track falls into

Response to how get good at music? 2021-10-09 20:37:52

admittely its good advice you have provided sir yet i don't personally like what you said about how people percieve what as "good" differently in spite of how correct it is