00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Bruemeister just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News

12,679 Views | 81 Replies
Respond to this Topic

If you missed it, the Best of May were announced last week!

Winners of the Friday Night Funkin’ Jam have been determined and the crew is working on some write-ups of their favorites. I’m gonna go ahead and announce some other news that was postponed due to so many other things going on this past month and a half.

2-Factor Authentication

On your Account Settings page, under Account Details, we’ve added a link for Login Options and 2-Factor Authentication.

On this page you can set your login to be via email address only, so logging in isn’t possible with your username. If you have a popular account and sometimes get emails triggered by failed login attempts, this will likely eliminate those emails.

We’ve also introduced 2-Factor Authentication (2FA). To enable this, you will need to install an authenticator app (we recommend Authy) on your phone and take a screenshot of the barcode on the screen. If you are doing this on your phone and can’t aim your camera at your own screen, there’s a button that will reveal a code you can enter into your authenticator app.

If you have 2FA enabled, your login process will have an extra step where you check your authenticator app for a six digit token to complete your login process.

Having our own 2FA is part of the process of removing Google and Facebook social logins, since some people prefer them for their 2FA option.

If you’re using a social login, we’ve already been prompting you to create your own NG password for several months now. At some point in the near future we will remove the Google and Facebook login options, at which point you can perform a password reset to create a password if you haven’t already.

WebP

We now accept WebP for art and thumbnail uploads. WebP is a modern compression format that allows better quality images at a smaller file size. As of September last year, it is now supported by all major browsers.

@Potatoman was the first person to give it a try, updating this art piece to WebP:

Art thumbnails are now generated as WebP regardless of the source image. We’ll eventually re-process existing thumbnails across all Portals to make everything load faster. At the moment we’re compressing our WebP thumbnails, which can be noticeable. It’s tempting to use the lossless WebP variant but we like how quickly the Art hub loads at the moment, so it’s a tough call. We won’t be compressing art on the art view page, however we may convert art to lossless WebP in the future, as it would be identical but load faster. Let me know if you have any concerns about that idea.

GZip Support

We added support for games that use GZip, which was becoming more common with Unity games. This solves some games that weren’t working and future games will be able to load faster as a result.

I'll bet some GMTK Jam entries are benefiting from this update.

Ruffle Update

Today’s Ruffle update brought Red Baron back on-line! Ruffle is an open source Flash player created by @Mike and a dedicated team of really smart people. Each update brings more classic Flash back to the web.

Other News

We also upgraded and added servers, including our primary db server last week, updated jQuery, made lots of optimizations throughout the site and other odds and ends in response to FNF Week 7. Thank you to all our Supporters for helping us keep this going and growing!

@Bluebaby aka Edmund McMillen has launched a Kickstarter for The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls Requiem!

@Mabelma is organizing an Isometric Quarantine Room Collab!

@TheEnkian has published a book with cover art by @cyangorilla!

The Art Inspired Music Contest deadline is June 21st.

@Stanpai is organizing an NG Summer Festival for June 25-27th!

The Stay Awake Animation Jam deadline is also June 27th. This is the first of our Summer Animation Jams series, hosted this year by @BrandyBuizel. Thanks to your support, total event prizes are over $4,400 and growing!

We're doing Double XP for the rest of the month, so you can vote on at least 10 entries per day to log 20 XP!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:45:15

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: 2-Factor Authentication
We’ve also introduced 2-Factor Authentication (2FA).

hopefully people will stop trying to reset my Newgrounds password now, I'm getting sick of getting those emails!!!

sicko mode

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:50:53

Thanks for the 2-SV!!!!

2-SV all the things.

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:54:33

you should add something has a gmail code for log in

Ultimate Cassandra simp

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:55:55

Can't wait till Ruffle supports that massive hentai classic, Cute Neighbour

Play my new game Halloween Babes!! (i should update my signature, i know)

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:56:42

At 6/15/21 12:45 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:
hopefully people will stop trying to reset my Newgrounds password now, I'm getting sick of getting those emails!!!

Sorry to bother you, but, hi!!!

We do a little trolling

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:57:51

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you missed it, the Best of May were announced last week!

Winners of the Friday Night Funkin’ Jam have been determined and the crew is working on some write-ups of their favorites. I’m gonna go ahead and announce some other news that was postponed due to so many other things going on this past month and a half.

2-Factor Authentication

On your Account Settings page, under Account Details, we’ve added a link for Login Options and 2-Factor Authentication.

On this page you can set your login to be via email address only, so logging in isn’t possible with your username. If you have a popular account and sometimes get emails triggered by failed login attempts, this will likely eliminate those emails.

We’ve also introduced 2-Factor Authentication (2FA). To enable this, you will need to install an authenticator app (we recommend Authy) on your phone and take a screenshot of the barcode on the screen. If you are doing this on your phone and can’t aim your camera at your own screen, there’s a button that will reveal a code you can enter into your authenticator app.

If you have 2FA enabled, your login process will have an extra step where you check your authenticator app for a six digit token to complete your login process.

Having our own 2FA is part of the process of removing Google and Facebook social logins, since some people prefer them for their 2FA option.

If you’re using a social login, we’ve already been prompting you to create your own NG password for several months now. At some point in the near future we will remove the Google and Facebook login options, at which point you can perform a password reset to create a password if you haven’t already.

WebP

We now accept WebP for art and thumbnail uploads. WebP is a modern compression format that allows better quality images at a smaller file size. As of September last year, it is now supported by all major browsers.

@Potatoman was the first person to give it a try, updating this art piece to WebP:

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/shid-eater

Art thumbnails are now generated as WebP regardless of the source image. We’ll eventually re-process existing thumbnails across all Portals to make everything load faster. At the moment we’re compressing our WebP thumbnails, which can be noticeable. It’s tempting to use the lossless WebP variant but we like how quickly the Art hub loads at the moment, so it’s a tough call. We won’t be compressing art on the art view page, however we may convert art to lossless WebP in the future, as it would be identical but load faster. Let me know if you have any concerns about that idea.

GZip Support

We added support for games that use GZip, which was becoming more common with Unity games. This solves some games that weren’t working and future games will be able to load faster as a result.

Ruffle Update

Today’s Ruffle update brought Red Baron back on-line! Ruffle is an open source Flash player created by @Mike and a dedicated team of really smart people. Each update brings more classic Flash back to the web.

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/347399

Other News

@Bluebaby aka Edmund McMillen has launched a Kickstarter for The Binding of Isaac: Four Souls Requiem!

The Stay Awake Animation Jam deadline is also June 27th. This is the first of our Summer Animation Jams series, hosted this year by @BrandyBuizel. Thanks to your support, total event prizes are over $4,400 and growing!

Awesome!

Pink Sparkles PonyGirl201642

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 12:59:04

newgrounds rules

all i gotta say

bye fellas

newgrounds.com

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:02:01

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: If you missed it, the Best of May were announced last week!

2-Factor Authentication

WebP

GZip Support

Ruffle Update

Other News

awh hell yeah

this guy

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:03:30

At 6/15/21 12:59 PM, EveningStar64 wrote: newgrounds rules

all i gotta say

bye fellas

yup

this guy

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:10:37

dope

Jesus Christ is awesome B) and so are you (as long as you love your neighbors as you love yourself <3)

This website is my favorite place on the Internet lol

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:12:35

I'm happy to see Ruffle improving so much!

Your local Newgrounds fanboy and musician.

Bandcamp - Discord: Trit#9469

All good good news, WebP, Gzip and 2FA

$4,400 is a staggering amount, and since each jam this year has been beating out the previous one in prize money I'm hoping we hit 9k by the end of summer(Pico Day had about 8.5k in prize money)!

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:32:21

2-Factor Authentication

WebP

GZip Support

Ruffle Update

Other News

Really awesome stuff happening! Pumped!!! 🙌🙌🙌

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:35:12

¡Señor Fulp! Or anybody that knows the answer, how can I create a password for my account if I logged in with my Gmail? I don't want to get logged out if I do something wrong. Thanks in advance

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:43:36

At 6/15/21 01:35 PM, JuanHelsing wrote: ¡Señor Fulp! Or anybody that knows the answer, how can I create a password for my account if I logged in with my Gmail? I don't want to get logged out if I do something wrong. Thanks in advance

Do you see the option to enter a password on this page?

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:54:10

At 6/15/21 01:43 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/15/21 01:35 PM, JuanHelsing wrote: ¡Señor Fulp! Or anybody that knows the answer, how can I create a password for my account if I logged in with my Gmail? I don't want to get logged out if I do something wrong. Thanks in advance

Not really, I only see these two options? I don't think I have a current password.

iu_331286_8767769.png

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 13:59:53

At 6/15/21 12:59 PM, EveningStar64 wrote: newgrounds rules

all i gotta say

bye fellas

oh christ the man himself tom fulp reacted to my forum reply this is the peak of my NG career

newgrounds.com

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:00:41

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: @Mabelma is organizing an Isometric Quarantine Room Collab!

I'm getting a sense of deja vu. Wasn't there a similar contest last year?

Slint approves of me! | "This is Newgrounds.com, not Disney.com" - WadeFulp

"Sit look rub panda" - Alan Davies

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:05:59

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: WebP

Webpage uploads is cool, but is there any news reguarding multi-image uploads for the future? I know you can upload multiple images in the dialogue box but having the option to upload multiple high res pictures would be a step in the right direction. Though, I can see this taking up quite a bit of space.

JoJo Collab in 2065! Get hyped!

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:27:55

At 6/15/21 02:05 PM, Arzonaut wrote: Webpage uploads is cool, but is there any news reguarding multi-image uploads for the future? I know you can upload multiple images in the dialogue box but having the option to upload multiple high res pictures would be a step in the right direction. Though, I can see this taking up quite a bit of space.

This is the goal with the Art Portal. First we want to finally port the Art Portal into the project system, so it will get features like multi-author. Then we want to add the ability to upload multiple full-quality images, sort them and specify between a vertical column or previous / next format. This could also be a good time to tackle converting them to lossless WebP. I've been hoping we'll get to tackle it this year when some ongoing projects get wrapped up.

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:31:02

At 6/15/21 02:00 PM, Gimmick wrote:
At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: @Mabelma is organizing an Isometric Quarantine Room Collab!
I'm getting a sense of deja vu. Wasn't there a similar contest last year?

We hosted a Shelter In Place Art Jam but the theme didn't involve being able to attach rooms in a grid.

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:31:45

hey, wait, is there some way to upload a thumbnail for an art post separate from the art?

tired of people who haven't played FE insulting it

i need to go outside more often...

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:34:50

At 6/15/21 02:31 PM, WhiteCheddarKasai wrote: hey, wait, is there some way to upload a thumbnail for an art post separate from the art?

No, that reference was aimed at thumbnails for movies, games and audio.

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:37:35

At 6/15/21 01:54 PM, JuanHelsing wrote:
Not really, I only see these two options? I don't think I have a current password.

Could you try clicking the Forgot Password link on there? You should get an email to reset your password, at which point you can keep using that password.

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 14:59:50

At 6/15/21 02:37 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 6/15/21 01:54 PM, JuanHelsing wrote:
Could you try clicking the Forgot Password link on there? You should get an email to reset your password, at which point you can keep using that password.

All done! Thank you! I was afraid of doing it at first but now I have a password for my account, thanks again, Mr. Fulp!

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 15:03:28

At 6/15/21 12:33 PM, TomFulp wrote: @TheEnkian has published a book with cover art by @cyangorilla!

Ye boi!!!

I'll post the cover to help promote it c:

Failure at not procrastinating made this post possible.

(awesome pixel gorilla by BigBossErndog)

BBS Signature

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 15:07:03

At 6/15/21 12:45 PM, ninjamuffin99 wrote:

Woah, dude that went to another level, i keep hearing news about cancelled mods and people who raided mod makers, i hope it doesn't happen that to you, can you report persons who try ressetting ur password? i'm afraid that could happen (because of a friend, i'm not popular in any media)

Man old emojis were much better

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 15:35:47

Nice.

Response to 2FA, WebP, Ruffle and Other News 2021-06-15 15:37:45

Ugh, macOS doesn't natively support WebP images (and my version of macOS is outdated-ish, so that's a big no for if Timmy's gonna be updating Preview), so is it gonna be made into a WebP image through the server, or do I have to make my own WebP image through GIMP?

Also, yay for Authy authentication! (How does it work tho? SHA? Is it a symmetrical code, or is it asymmetrical?)

Your (former) resident furfag on NG!

"SHAMWOW IS NOT OXYCLEAN, A DOG IS NOT A BROTHER. HOW DARE YOU SHRUG CLYDE'S LOSS OFF SO EASILY." ~ Billy Mays

BBS Signature