00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

christopher54000 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Summer Animation Jams Round 1!

126,778 Views | 272 Replies
Respond to this Topic

@BrandyBuizel recently graduated from SCAD and to avoid going into a post-grad creative slump, he’s using his newfound freedom to revive his favorite Newgrounds event: the Summer Animation Jams!

Those of you just joining NG may not be familiar with this event; it evolved from the Newgrounds Annual Tournament of Animation, which started as the Tournament of Flash Artists over a decade ago. The Summer Jams were born in 2016 with the Loop Jam and we haven't done another series since 2018.

Round 1 of Summer Jams 2021 begins TODAY, keep reading for details.

Rules:

The entire event will be 4-5 rounds where individual creators are scored and awarded points according to their animation's ranking in each round. There are no eliminations and you are not required to participate in every round (though it will increase your chances of placing first).

Winners for each round will be announced within a week of each round conclusion. Points will be awarded as such:

1st: 10 pts

2nd: 9 pts

3rd: 8 pts

4th: 7 pts

5th: 6 pts

6th: 5 pts

7th: 4 pts

8th: 3 pts

9th: 2 pts

10th: 1 pt

By the end of the summer the creator with the most points will be crowned the winner!

You may work with a team or work on multiple entries per round, but each entry MUST specify the LEAD ANIMATOR who will get the points; this will be the project owner/author unless otherwise specified. You may only submit one entry per round as the lead animator.

The use of mixed-media is greatly encouraged though not at all a requirement. Bring your own personal brand and style in all of the works you submit or use these jams as an excuse to try something new!

Win Fabulous Prizes:

@ScarecrowArts is kicking off the event with $500 USD courtesy of @BrandyBuizel, @MalcolmSith, and @DragonCoke as well as a copy of their game The Story Goes On on the platform of your choice (Steam/Xbox One/Nintendo Switch)!

Newgrounds is tossing in another $500 to crank things up.

@SrPelo tossed in $500, @Derpixon $300, @AnonymousAlchemist and @LumpyTouch $200 each, @xskoo, @53xy83457 and @SevenOnAStick each gave $100, @tiarawhy $75, @Iggykoop, @StaggerNight, @PssychoPie, @ZaazNG, @1DarkVoid, @Butzbo and @CaperCube each gave $50, @NickSenny $30, @MKMaffo $25, @ConnorGrail $20 and an anonymous fan donated $1,500!

The winners with the most points by the end of the event will be awarded these prizes:

1st - $1,300

2nd - $900

3rd - $670

4th - $500

5th - $400

6th - $250

7th - $150

8th - $130

9th - $100

10th - $100

Each winner will also receive a copy of The Story Goes On and two copies of Frame Game, an upcoming game from @CaperCube and @stejkrobot!

If you’d like to chip in to boost the Summer Animation Jams prizes, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up that you donated towards the Summer Animation Jams!

If you’re a donor and you’re interested in discussing future rounds, themes, and judges, shoot @BrandyBuizel a PM as well. We have a lot of ideas to work with but maybe you have something great to add!

The Round One theme is STAY AWAKE!

"you've been up for five days and five nights..."

Jam Requirements:

Upload your animation to Newgrounds any time between now and the due date. There is no formal signup process, just tag your entry with “Stay-Awake-Jam” to enter.

Minimum length: 15 seconds.

Content must be original; no parodies or characters you didn't create.

Music must not present licensing / royalty issues. Good resources include the Audio Portal (see Creative Commons info or ask for permission), an original composition by a teammate or one of these many royalty-free resources. Our Advanced Search options on NG allow you to filter by song length, genre, tags and usage permissions, as well.

Your entry can be scary, funny, neither or both!

Round One Judges:

@BrandyBuizel - Representing @ScarecrowArts

@NickConter - co-creator of NEAR DEADline. A game about staying awake, animating, for five nights straight. A perfect fit for Round One’s theme.

@heyopc - everybody loves chris piche (however tall he may be), he's super funny and not afraid to spend three months organizing a shitpost collab about Animal Crossing.

@AlmightyHans - your classic Newgrounds figurehead; making live action elements a more widely accepted practice on the website

@Ellsketchlr - has been witnessed staying awake for two weeks straight in preparation for judging this event.

@Domdude111 - mixed-media artist who packs their art with style #luckyboyfilm

@ayekerik - 3D artist/animator that will offer a unique perspective since we've seen a lot more 3D on the site recently. They also created this year’s promo banner.

BrandyBuizel and other judges may participate in individual rounds for fun, however they will not be considered in the rankings and won’t be up for prizes.

Round 1 Due Date:

Sunday, June 27th, 11:59PM PST

Happy Animating!

If you need a voice actor, there's lots of talent to discover in the NG Voice Acting Collab!

Monthly Game Prizes

@SrPelo has also contributed $500 towards our ongoing Monthly Game Prize fund. Starting with the Best of June, the top-ranked game based on original material will now receive $200, with $100 each for 2nd and 3rd.

iu_322266_1.jpg

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:14:37

At 6/4/21 11:13 AM, TomFulp wrote: @BrandyBuizel recently graduated from SCAD

Congrats @BrandyBuizel

Hope you get laid later.

NG Review Moderator // Pm me for Review Abuse

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:19:11

Will update my Collabinate post soon in this case

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:24:48

yay a animation jam

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:32:29

At 6/4/21 11:14 AM, kidray76 wrote:
Congrats @BrandyBuizel

Hope you get laid later.

me too pal

Sick Dude!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:39:02

THIS IS FREAKING AWESOME!!! Solid idea Brandy/Tom! Can't wait to see what this awesome community creates!

As usual, if any of you amazing animators need help with voice acting, hit me up!!! I'll definitely be willing to lend my voice to any animation throughout the entirety of the competition! Shoot me a message!!!

You need a voice? I got plenty for ya! :D

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:41:55

If anyone needs a voice actor, I'm available. Just throwing my hat in the ring.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:42:02

Ah, yes. Nothing like putting animators to work X days in the middle of the blazing summer heat

I don't fuckin know, you tell me

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:42:58

Love that banner @ayekerik

This seems like fun, I might enter with the full intention of not winning anything. I do have an urge to make a little animation🤔

If anyone needs music Ive got some assorted stuff thats free to use on my page too

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/potatoman/sexy-potatoman

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:43:25

OOOO!! This sounds so cool! Damn I probably might attempt to enter this. Gotta put on my big boy pants.

Ms. busy bee!! <3

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:43:51

iu_322285_1091659.jpg

Sig by BlueHippo / User Icon by CosmicDeath.

BBS Signature

WOW! Animation jams!? Sounds amazing!

I've just been thinking of bringing this duo back.

iu_322290_3945050.png

This round might be a great opportunity to do it

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:47:20

Thanks Brandy & Tom for setting this up, as well as everyone else involved!

If anyone happens to need a voice actor or sound designer for your toon, please let me know. Performed in and edited a heavy handful of the skits in the Newgrounds Voice Acting Collabs.

Here’s a “””demo”” for the time being.

The knocking will not stop until they make their way to the top

Listen to the Open Door Policy

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:48:40

this is exciting I want to involve more in newgrounds events

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:54:27

Very cool!

If any amateurish animators are out there looking for a substantially more amateurish voice actor to star in their animation entry, I wouldn't mind lending a hand. As someone who sent 4 Discord messages to Brandy in the past only to immediately delete them, thereby utterly confusing him and embarrassing myself, I can guarantee that you'll get his attention one way or another!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 11:56:07

At 6/4/21 11:37 AM, XcorpzTheAlien wrote:
At 6/4/21 11:32 AM, BrandyBuizel wrote:
At 6/4/21 11:14 AM, kidray76 wrote:
Congrats @BrandyBuizel

Hope you get laid later.
me too pal
Not if I get all the laids before you!

holy shit that's possible

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:01:54

Excuse me for being a little baby who's only been present on this site for a few months, but what's TSGO?

UH OH WORM IS NO MORE!

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:02:34

why not

azerka man

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:05:44

Woowie! Congratulations to Brandy, and this looks like a great chance for me to do more stuff. Funkin Jam, Pico Day and now Summer Jam, if I do stuff for school fast maybe I can get to do something. Thanks for this amazing opportunity!

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:06:50

At 6/4/21 12:01 PM, KrashKablamBlam wrote: Excuse me for being a little baby who's only been present on this site for a few months, but what's TSGO?

A game made by me and the fellas at @ScarecrowArts we included to juice up the prizes(might inject the current prizes with some steroids later too) http://tsgogame.com/

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:06:55

Love seeing these! I'm available to help out in any animation if you need a voice actor, hit me up and we'll make something beautiful together!

A journey of a thousand miles begins with complaining

Neato.

That sock thing scared me tho.

Also i want to give birth to Brandy's children.

Also first post.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:09:23

Can't wait to see the fresh batch of participants who are stirring. You're really giving us something to do this summer, what with damned pandemic and all. Regardless, I'm incredibly excited to see the talent that'll be presented here. Razur's contest is also pretty damn hype too. To see NG flourishing really brings a tear to my eye. I know it can difficult managing such a large and vast website, but know that it won't be in vain. I was watching a stream by Dave yesterday and he recounted on the time he first joined the NG team. As he put "I had a big dumb smile on my face like a kid at a candy store". As time went on, he realized that running the website could be a bitch sometimes, but that he'd never not grow found of this place. Perhaps there's something to be said about his mentality. Never mind that, you've cemented NG in the history books lads and lasses. Don't let anyone take that away from you.

PS: Mr. Fulp, if you see this, just know that I appreciate your dedication to maintaining this site for a long ass time.

WowLookAtThisGamerRightHereHolyShit

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:10:30

SAY THE LINE BART

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:11:48

What's this talk about getting laid?

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:12:58

Is it an appropriate time to make a cock joke?

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:13:29

Can't wait for it, bud.

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:13:40

Newgrounds? More like Newhorizons.

Black Lives Matter

Response to Summer Animation Jams Round 1! 2021-06-04 12:14:02

Nothing quite beats a NG animation jam.