00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

The End of Flash

14,399 Views | 119 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 22:28:46


At 1/12/21 05:22 PM, JoeSketchConcepts-NG wrote: In a decade or two from now. This will happen all over again when HTML5 becomes obsolete.
All the content and media that is being happily created with HTML5, Will feel the same exact suffering Adobe Flash is feeling at this moment.

I really think that, flash player was still young to die as quickly as possible, and even more I think that flash player had more years to live, only that adobe has some pretty silly decisions and very much that makes you say "you could have looked for another solution "since I think that the security holes could have been closed if adobe I could have done it very well by patching instead of constantly launching it to solve the danger it had, and also I think they simply killed it because they were already tired of Flash and HTML5 already wanted it to destroy flash from its post, so I think that even though flash was insecure, because they did not convert it into HTML5 or at least leave its base code for those who want their flash games to remain , instead of simply removing they will give us at least the opportunity to fix their holes of insecurity that they had!!!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 22:46:38 (edited 2021-01-12 22:46:58)


This is so sad. I have so many fond memories with the flash games on this website since they were some of the only games I could run on my old shitty laptop and I used to think things would stay the same as I left it, but I guess things don't always work out. Thank you flash for all the happiness and memories you've brought for all of us.


Breh.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 22:52:00


I am annoyed that this is the way they handled the end of life for flash. I was working on a flash game, after getting home, I didn't expect to come back to this "error". What a pain, this is why we need emulation for all types of hardware/software to preserve these works of art. I know it's being worked on and I'm glad.


~IX II~

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 00:12:16


Mac user here (High Sierra 10.13.6) I usually use Safari but Chrome tends to handle movies and games much better. I'd be curious for a workaround to re-enable Flash for Mac users once someone gets that figured out :D

I didn't realize that today was finally the actual end of Flash, was trying to hit up some under judgment stuff only to find it blocked :(


Windmill Windmill for the land

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 00:58:03


@Sonucais recently edited his News Post and brought up another user that is supposedly a better way of bypassing the killswitch. And it works! Here: https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244


I'm quite new to programming. Am currently making a really tiny game. Play the Alpha Version Now!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 01:42:35


may sound weird, but i backed up like every old NG swf dating back to 1999 on my hard drive and a ton of flash games. i figured one day this would happen!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 02:30:54


Adobe can burn in hell. I hope their social media pages have been flooded with hate comments.


That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 02:41:31


Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.


Personally I chose to install 32.0.0.314 instead of 414, and have had no problems playing Flash games since, nor have I had to install any Windows updates.


Change the Windows Update preferences to not automatically download and install updates, this is a perfect example of why.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 02:44:54


At 1/13/21 02:41 AM, ThemePark wrote: Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.

Personally I chose to install 32.0.0.314 instead of 414, and have had no problems playing Flash games since, nor have I had to install any Windows updates.

Change the Windows Update preferences to not automatically download and install updates, this is a perfect example of why.


Guess that's true because my old desktop (which i still use) that has Win XP can still play it.


That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 03:19:40


At 1/13/21 02:41 AM, ThemePark wrote: Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.

Personally I chose to install 32.0.0.314 instead of 414, and have had no problems playing Flash games since, nor have I had to install any Windows updates.

Change the Windows Update preferences to not automatically download and install updates, this is a perfect example of why.


You can install up to 32.0.0.330

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 04:46:18


I've updated the blog entry for the people having troubles with error 1722.


https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 06:06:02


At 1/12/21 01:32 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/12/21 01:19 PM, BobbyBurt wrote: lots of stuff
I agree with all of @BobbyBurt's comments whole-heartedly!

The Microsoft block is disappointing. Brings up some feelings of frustration and powerlessness, but I am grateful for the offsetting hope provided by Ruffle.

Those who loved and continue to love Flash, rally behind Ruffle however you can! Support is growing, but they need a lot more to really kick into high-gear!


It is unfortunate- but I understand why they had to put it down. Flash was riddled with all sorts of security holes that accounted for a bajillion exploits out in the wild. Hell- even with the last security patch that was released there was a ton of zero days out there anyone could snag up if you knew where to look.


As far as Microsoft goes- that's just the way they roll. I switched over to Linux for this reason back in 2006. The challenge when you own the gorilla chunk of OS marketshare is you have to make broad stroke decisions that work and are simple, even if it pisses a lot of people off. In this case, them phasing out even having the ability to let it run was expected.


There's a big enough following of Flash enthusiasts that that will support alternatives (such as ruffle or Linux distros that make the latest flash package available for those that want it) to circumnavigate such blocks.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 06:30:43


I use an older version of flash player (32.0.0.363) to avoid the time bomb that newer versions have that block content after the 12th so I can theoretically use flash forever.

Still though, this sucks.


I'll eventually create something unique for a forum signature.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 06:47:03


I still theorize these fucks pulled Flash down jsut so they could hock their inferior spyware-ridden ´´Flash 2.0´´ shit later.I really do hope someone archive Ruffle and all of this other alternative Flash knowledge just for the sake of it.


BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:01:28


And so, a chapter of internet history comes to a close...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:19:13


petition to adobe inc. to release the source code of flash player lol


none of shit is real

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:32:10


today will be a rough day for me. all the memories...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:47:19


Rest in Peace, Flash.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:49:57


What’s weird is that despite me turning off auto updates and update checks my computer still updated overnight. Damn this sucks...


BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:07:25


At 1/13/21 02:30 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: Adobe can burn in hell. I hope their social media pages have been flooded with hate comments.


It's not just Adobe. It's Microfuck and the browsers.


Adobe is not the sole reason.


Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:08:24


At 1/13/21 02:41 AM, ThemePark wrote: Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.

Personally I chose to install 32.0.0.314 instead of 414, and have had no problems playing Flash games since, nor have I had to install any Windows updates.

Change the Windows Update preferences to not automatically download and install updates, this is a perfect example of why.


Do you mean download Flash Player? (the offline version)

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:45:12


Hi,


Why are all my animations automatically displayed in 'Ruffle'???!!! Now none of my animations work!!! I use AS3.0, and for reasons unknown to me, Ruffle is not made for AS3.0... This is where you should start... when you force to use 'Ruffle'... :/


Are you tired of simple combats? We prepare the "stick movie" project with interesting story.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:54:52


At 1/13/21 08:45 AM, Mejson wrote: Hi,

Why are all my animations automatically displayed in 'Ruffle'???!!! Now none of my animations work!!! I use AS3.0, and for reasons unknown to me, Ruffle is not made for AS3.0... This is where you should start... when you force to use 'Ruffle'... :/


We did a bulk changeover to run all movies via Ruffle, I'm manually disabling it on movies that don't work. I've disabled Ruffle on your movies and added them to this list.


Anyone else reading this - if you have content with Ruffle enabled but it isn't working in Ruffle, click the pencil icon to go to your Project Details form and uncheck the Ruffle checkbox that appears under your SWF file in the project. You can also give me a list of links I should add to the spreadsheet, so we can re-test later!


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:00:36


Thank you very much @TomFulp :) Forgive me for these emotions, but lately I'm very nervous about the situation in the world (Virus) and the pushy blocking of Flash in the system.


PS. When will 'Ruffle' support AS3.0?


At 1/13/21 08:54 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/13/21 08:45 AM, Mejson wrote: Hi,

Why are all my animations automatically displayed in 'Ruffle'???!!! Now none of my animations work!!! I use AS3.0, and for reasons unknown to me, Ruffle is not made for AS3.0... This is where you should start... when you force to use 'Ruffle'... :/
We did a bulk changeover to run all movies via Ruffle, I'm manually disabling it on movies that don't work. I've disabled Ruffle on your movies and added them to this list.

Anyone else reading this - if you have content with Ruffle enabled but it isn't working in Ruffle, click the pencil icon to go to your Project Details form and uncheck the Ruffle checkbox that appears under your SWF file in the project. You can also give me a list of links I should add to the spreadsheet, so we can re-test later!



Are you tired of simple combats? We prepare the "stick movie" project with interesting story.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:08:11


At 1/13/21 09:00 AM, Mejson wrote: Thank you very much @TomFulp :) Forgive me for these emotions, but lately I'm very nervous about the situation in the world (Virus) and the pushy blocking of Flash in the system.

PS. When will 'Ruffle' support AS3.0?


It's hard to estimate a date for AS3 and similar to AS2 it will likely be very gradual. It will be cool when there is even enough AS3 support to run AS3 movies, which mostly need things like play button and V-Cam support.


Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:14:36


Ohhh, ok I understand... well cool :) Then we'll wait :) Unfortunately, I use many elements and wonders of Flash XD Since I have the pleasure to talk to you... Did my animations ever interest you? I know you liked the new companion (music and sounds master) in my crew, @ChordC :D


At 1/13/21 09:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/13/21 09:00 AM, Mejson wrote: Thank you very much @TomFulp :) Forgive me for these emotions, but lately I'm very nervous about the situation in the world (Virus) and the pushy blocking of Flash in the system.

PS. When will 'Ruffle' support AS3.0?
It's hard to estimate a date for AS3 and similar to AS2 it will likely be very gradual. It will be cool when there is even enough AS3 support to run AS3 movies, which mostly need things like play button and V-Cam support.



Are you tired of simple combats? We prepare the "stick movie" project with interesting story.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:43:43


Jokes on you, I use Windows 7.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:57:04 (edited 2021-01-13 09:57:16)


Goodnight, sweet prince... :'(


Thoughts and prayers for a swift fix through Ruffle! <3


Wakka wakka

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 11:37:33


At 1/12/21 05:22 PM, JoeSketchConcepts-NG wrote: In a decade or two from now. This will happen all over again when HTML5 becomes obsolete.
All the content and media that is being happily created with HTML5, Will feel the same exact suffering Adobe Flash is feeling at this moment.

I don't think so. I was reading Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash letter and he makes the comparison between Flash being closed and HTML5 being open. Flash dies when Adobe, who controls the software for creating and playing the content, decides they don't want to support it. HTML5 will become obsolete, but it won't be purged in the same way.


Current project state:

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 17:52:09


At 1/13/21 01:42 AM, enigman69 wrote: may sound weird, but i backed up like every old NG swf dating back to 1999 on my hard drive and a ton of flash games. i figured one day this would happen!


Wow, really? You should consider contacting with the Ruffle team.


You could very well have a pice of lost media in your hard drive!