00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Xyphondevi just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The End of Flash

33,938 Views | 116 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 02:30:54

Adobe can burn in hell. I hope their social media pages have been flooded with hate comments.

That's right I like guns and ponies. NO NEW GUN CONTROL.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 02:41:31

Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.

Personally I chose to install 32.0.0.314 instead of 414, and have had no problems playing Flash games since, nor have I had to install any Windows updates.

Change the Windows Update preferences to not automatically download and install updates, this is a perfect example of why.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 02:44:54

At 1/13/21 02:41 AM, ThemePark wrote: Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.

Personally I chose to install 32.0.0.314 instead of 414, and have had no problems playing Flash games since, nor have I had to install any Windows updates.

Change the Windows Update preferences to not automatically download and install updates, this is a perfect example of why.

Guess that's true because my old desktop (which i still use) that has Win XP can still play it.

Politically correct is anything that leftists believe.Politically incorrect is anything common sense.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 03:19:40

At 1/13/21 02:41 AM, ThemePark wrote: Many of the comments here confuse me, to be honest. There's a lot of jumping through hoops to get Flash to work again, but the best way is simply to downgrade Flash Player.

You can install up to 32.0.0.330

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 04:46:18

I've updated the blog entry for the people having troubles with error 1722.

https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 06:06:02

At 1/12/21 01:32 PM, BoMToons wrote:
At 1/12/21 01:19 PM, BobbyBurt wrote: lots of stuff
I agree with all of @BobbyBurt's comments whole-heartedly!

The Microsoft block is disappointing. Brings up some feelings of frustration and powerlessness, but I am grateful for the offsetting hope provided by Ruffle.

Those who loved and continue to love Flash, rally behind Ruffle however you can! Support is growing, but they need a lot more to really kick into high-gear!

It is unfortunate- but I understand why they had to put it down. Flash was riddled with all sorts of security holes that accounted for a bajillion exploits out in the wild. Hell- even with the last security patch that was released there was a ton of zero days out there anyone could snag up if you knew where to look.

As far as Microsoft goes- that's just the way they roll. I switched over to Linux for this reason back in 2006. The challenge when you own the gorilla chunk of OS marketshare is you have to make broad stroke decisions that work and are simple, even if it pisses a lot of people off. In this case, them phasing out even having the ability to let it run was expected.

There's a big enough following of Flash enthusiasts that that will support alternatives (such as ruffle or Linux distros that make the latest flash package available for those that want it) to circumnavigate such blocks.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 06:30:43

I use an older version of flash player (32.0.0.363) to avoid the time bomb that newer versions have that block content after the 12th so I can theoretically use flash forever.

Still though, this sucks.

Eternally stuck in 2009.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 06:47:03

I still theorize these fucks pulled Flash down jsut so they could hock their inferior spyware-ridden ´´Flash 2.0´´ shit later.I really do hope someone archive Ruffle and all of this other alternative Flash knowledge just for the sake of it.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:01:28

And so, a chapter of internet history comes to a close...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:19:13

petition to adobe inc. to release the source code of flash player lol

none of shit is real

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:32:10

today will be a rough day for me. all the memories...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 07:47:19

Rest in Peace, Flash.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:07:25

At 1/13/21 02:30 AM, wildfire4461 wrote: Adobe can burn in hell. I hope their social media pages have been flooded with hate comments.

It's not just Adobe. It's Microfuck and the browsers.

Adobe is not the sole reason.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:08:24

Do you mean download Flash Player? (the offline version)

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:45:12

Hi,

Why are all my animations automatically displayed in 'Ruffle'???!!! Now none of my animations work!!! I use AS3.0, and for reasons unknown to me, Ruffle is not made for AS3.0... This is where you should start... when you force to use 'Ruffle'... :/

Are you tired of simple combats? We prepare the "stick movie" project with interesting story... This is where 'Reduce Saga' comes in for you! Especially 'Reduce 3' - coming kick-ass and extravagant!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 08:54:52

At 1/13/21 08:45 AM, Mejson wrote: Hi,

Why are all my animations automatically displayed in 'Ruffle'???!!! Now none of my animations work!!! I use AS3.0, and for reasons unknown to me, Ruffle is not made for AS3.0... This is where you should start... when you force to use 'Ruffle'... :/

We did a bulk changeover to run all movies via Ruffle, I'm manually disabling it on movies that don't work. I've disabled Ruffle on your movies and added them to this list.

Anyone else reading this - if you have content with Ruffle enabled but it isn't working in Ruffle, click the pencil icon to go to your Project Details form and uncheck the Ruffle checkbox that appears under your SWF file in the project. You can also give me a list of links I should add to the spreadsheet, so we can re-test later!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:00:36

Thank you very much @TomFulp :) Forgive me for these emotions, but lately I'm very nervous about the situation in the world (Virus) and the pushy blocking of Flash in the system.

PS. When will 'Ruffle' support AS3.0?

At 1/13/21 08:54 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/13/21 08:45 AM, Mejson wrote: Hi,

We did a bulk changeover to run all movies via Ruffle, I'm manually disabling it on movies that don't work. I've disabled Ruffle on your movies and added them to this list.

Anyone else reading this - if you have content with Ruffle enabled but it isn't working in Ruffle, click the pencil icon to go to your Project Details form and uncheck the Ruffle checkbox that appears under your SWF file in the project. You can also give me a list of links I should add to the spreadsheet, so we can re-test later!

Are you tired of simple combats? We prepare the "stick movie" project with interesting story... This is where 'Reduce Saga' comes in for you! Especially 'Reduce 3' - coming kick-ass and extravagant!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:08:11

At 1/13/21 09:00 AM, Mejson wrote: Thank you very much @TomFulp :) Forgive me for these emotions, but lately I'm very nervous about the situation in the world (Virus) and the pushy blocking of Flash in the system.

It's hard to estimate a date for AS3 and similar to AS2 it will likely be very gradual. It will be cool when there is even enough AS3 support to run AS3 movies, which mostly need things like play button and V-Cam support.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:14:36

Ohhh, ok I understand... well cool :) Then we'll wait :) Unfortunately, I use many elements and wonders of Flash XD Since I have the pleasure to talk to you... Did my animations ever interest you? I know you liked the new companion (music and sounds master) in my crew, @ChordC :D

At 1/13/21 09:08 AM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/13/21 09:00 AM, Mejson wrote: Thank you very much @TomFulp :) Forgive me for these emotions, but lately I'm very nervous about the situation in the world (Virus) and the pushy blocking of Flash in the system.

It's hard to estimate a date for AS3 and similar to AS2 it will likely be very gradual. It will be cool when there is even enough AS3 support to run AS3 movies, which mostly need things like play button and V-Cam support.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 09:57:04 (edited 2021-01-13 09:57:16)

Goodnight, sweet prince... :'(

Thoughts and prayers for a swift fix through Ruffle! <3

Wakka wakka

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 11:37:33

At 1/12/21 05:22 PM, JoeSketchConcepts-NG wrote: In a decade or two from now. This will happen all over again when HTML5 becomes obsolete.
All the content and media that is being happily created with HTML5, Will feel the same exact suffering Adobe Flash is feeling at this moment.

I don't think so. I was reading Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash letter and he makes the comparison between Flash being closed and HTML5 being open. Flash dies when Adobe, who controls the software for creating and playing the content, decides they don't want to support it. HTML5 will become obsolete, but it won't be purged in the same way.

Banner by @MigMoog

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 17:52:09

At 1/13/21 01:42 AM, enigman69 wrote: may sound weird, but i backed up like every old NG swf dating back to 1999 on my hard drive and a ton of flash games. i figured one day this would happen!

Wow, really? You should consider contacting with the Ruffle team.

You could very well have a pice of lost media in your hard drive!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 18:52:08 (edited 2021-01-13 18:55:01)

Rest in peace my friend, see you again!

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 22:04:02

Can SWF files be converted to another type?

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-13 23:13:10

well. i found last version of flash without build-in killswitch. Here link to download it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20200726172212/https://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/flashplayer/installers/archive/fp_32.0.0.371_archive.zip

In waterfox classic this version works.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 00:41:43

At 1/13/21 05:52 PM, GonzaloAtWork wrote:
At 1/13/21 01:42 AM, enigman69 wrote: may sound weird, but i backed up like every old NG swf dating back to 1999 on my hard drive and a ton of flash games. i figured one day this would happen!
Wow, really? You should consider contacting with the Ruffle team.

You could very well have a pice of lost media in your hard drive!

For sure! I can post a dropbox link to what i have this week.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 03:09:39

At 1/13/21 11:37 AM, BobbyBurt wrote:
At 1/12/21 05:22 PM, JoeSketchConcepts-NG wrote: In a decade or two from now. This will happen all over again when HTML5 becomes obsolete.
All the content and media that is being happily created with HTML5, Will feel the same exact suffering Adobe Flash is feeling at this moment.
I don't think so. I was reading Steve Jobs' Thoughts on Flash letter and he makes the comparison between Flash being closed and HTML5 being open. Flash dies when Adobe, who controls the software for creating and playing the content, decides they don't want to support it. HTML5 will become obsolete, but it won't be purged in the same way.

Sure, but HTML5 was horrible and didn't bring in quite as much creative content as Flash did...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 03:11:52

At 1/12/21 02:24 PM, squidly wrote: People putting so much effort into erasing Flash as if it's a bad thing we need to move beyond. I fucking hate these silicon valley types. They need to get a reality check.

Hopefully there's some military/govt system that's reliant on Flash so they immediately realize what they've done and spend millions trying to fix/update it.

well this reminds me of horrid memories of my country's military websites containing spyware ads back in 2000s....

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 03:19:16

At 1/12/21 08:06 PM, Peruraptor wrote: Is the NG Player usable on older Windows Operating systems? I clung onto Windows 7 and desktop flash still works fine (though so does the browser version since I froze updates for both Firefox and Flash Player a few years ago in preparation). Also is a OS X Version of the NG Player in the cards? On Sierra at least desktop flash player still runs fine.

One thing I've noticed as I've been downloading SWF files that no-one really talks about is how memory efficient they are compared other movie/game storage methods. A MP4 file usually takes up over 10 times the memory of a comparable SWF file even at modest pixel counts, and will generally look worse because flash scales much better with higher resolution monitors due to being vector based. It's almost like the digital media equivalent of film in that way. The largest SWF files tend to be the ones that use a lot of high resolution Bitmaps, JPEGs, and the like.

Does ruffle only work properly on more up to date browsers? I stopped running current versions of browsers a while ago to avoid the flash preventing updates but the flash player on my Macbook wasn't old enough to lack the killswitch so keeping them in that condition is probably pointless now, unless recent Firefox updates have changed how the Web Info/Inspector works/stopped recognizing SWF files altogether. On Safari (Version 12.1.2) the file plays but you can't interact with anything, while on Firefox (Version 61.0.2) it gets stuck loading until the browser says it's taking up too much memory.

WEBM works just as well as Flash for compression of videos/animation, but its underlying VP9 codec is CPU intensive. I kinda hate Youtube for moving on to VP9 years ago, it made HD videos lag on my potahto laptop. And now Youtube wants to introduce AV1 which is an even bigger resource hog than VP9.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-14 17:02:39

At 1/13/21 10:04 PM, wildfire4461 wrote: Can SWF files be converted to another type?

They can be converted to standalone EXE programs.