00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Our goal is for Newgrounds to be ad free for everyone! Become a Supporter today and help make this dream a reality!

The End of Flash

14,400 Views | 119 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 14:24:44

My day was so fine. Then boom, flash is completely dead...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 14:24:46

People putting so much effort into erasing Flash as if it's a bad thing we need to move beyond. I fucking hate these silicon valley types. They need to get a reality check.

Hopefully there's some military/govt system that's reliant on Flash so they immediately realize what they've done and spend millions trying to fix/update it.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 14:47:31

@TomFulp - You are doing the work of gods and I just want you to know it doesn't go unappreciated. My fucking hero.

It truly is incredible the efforts that you and your team have gone through in order to compete with an increasing number of challenges.

"You keep moving forward." Reminds me of that line from The Martian. "You just begin. You do the math. You solve one problem and you solve the next one, and then the next. And If you solve enough problems, you get to come home."

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 14:53:51

At 1/12/21 10:52 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the “true” End of Flash day, where Flash no longer works in browsers.

We had prepared for this with Newgrounds Player but there was a new surprise waiting for us this morning; Microsoft made several Windows updates over the past year that now block Flash completely from running on Windows.

@Sonucais shared a way to get Flash working if you want to be daring BUT since this post was made, @dclxvi-satan made a config file edit suggestion that appears to be a better alternative. We'll be looking into this with an NG Player update, as well.

There will likely be more tricks and counter-measures to come but at this point a lot of Flash content will be on a hiatus until it is supported by Ruffle, the open-source Flash emulator we’re using to already run a lot of Flash content in the browser.

Today I enabled Ruffle on more of my own games. Both Dad ‘n Me and The Room Tribute are now running via Ruffle, despite a lack of SetVolume support that will be addressed in a future update. You’ll notice music and some sounds don’t crossfade correctly at the moment.

I’ve also enabled Ruffle for Madness Accelerant, which likely runs fine on newer computers. Ruffle is currently focused on compatibility vs speed optimizations; expect things to run better and better over time.

I’ve created a Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew for people who would like to help test Flash content with Ruffle.

It seems like an insane effort is going towards erasing Flash from history, the same way an insane effort is going into preserving it. We have a path forward and progress will be steady. It will be exciting to see more and more classic content return to the web in the months to come, thanks to the efforts of the Ruffle team and everyone who helps test compatibility.

I feel like I should have more to say today but this is life; you keep moving forward.

More About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Community News

The Best of December were announced this week! $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

The top animation based on original material in January will win $250 and the top three games based on original material will each win $100.

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with almost $1,200 in prizes!

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Xinxinix made a great series of Best of 2020 Playlists.

Read this week’s edition of The Tank Tribune!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/777537

Tom it least some games with html5 still works but not flash games!

We hope Ruffle will save flash games hopefully!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 15:01:29 (edited 2021-01-12 15:10:07)

I have a Mozilla browser and flash works everywhere except Newgrounds, I don't understand.

("newgraunds player" shows nothing)

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 15:18:01

Truly an end of an era

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 15:57:22

Very disappointed to see Microsoft go the extra mile to prevent the software from being accessed. If support is being dropped, it should be a case of "run it at your own risk" and allow those who aren't keen in keeping it to able to uninstall it with ease. But to go as far as to banish it the fucking shadow realm is a little excessive... I thought Apple was bad at blocking old software. Then again, maybe Adobe held a gun to Microsoft's head and got them to comply?

I still play quite a lot of Flash content, so I'll definitely be checking out those noted workarounds when I get the energy to mess around with it.

Looks like this music video needs an update to the roster. . .

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 16:33:58

At 1/12/21 10:52 AM, TomFulp wrote: Today is the “true” End of Flash day, where Flash no longer works in browsers.

We had prepared for this with Newgrounds Player but there was a new surprise waiting for us this morning; Microsoft made several Windows updates over the past year that now block Flash completely from running on Windows.

I don't know much about anything, but flash is blocked from working now in both my browser and the NG app on my old Windows 7 PC which I have explicitly denied from being able to update for over four years now. I think the problem is to do with Flash itself.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 16:42:41

At 1/12/21 04:33 PM, EreptileArt wrote:

I don't know much about anything, but flash is blocked from working now in both my browser and the NG app on my old Windows 7 PC which I have explicitly denied from being able to update for over four years now. I think the problem is to do with Flash itself.

Windows 7 works different, as far as I know, in this case has nothing to do with Windows updates.

Please, try the following and tell us if works.

- Go to Control Panel

- Click Flash Player (32b)

- Delete every config/parameters you can (just in case)

- On the tab Playback press Peer-assisted Networking Settings by Site

- Add uploads.ungrounded.net

- Download the Flash Player Uninstaller on the bottom of this post

- Close all your browsers

- Use Flash Player Uninstaller

- Restart your computer

- Uninstall NG Flash Player (if installed)

- Download it again and reinstall it

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 16:51:15

@Sonucais shared a way to get Flash working if you want to be daring BUT since this post was made, @dclxvi-satan made a config file edit suggestion that appears to be a better alternative. We'll be looking into this with an NG Player update, as well.

There will likely be more tricks and counter-measures to come but at this point a lot of Flash content will be on a hiatus until it is supported by Ruffle, the open-source Flash emulator we’re using to already run a lot of Flash content in the browser.

Today I enabled Ruffle on more of my own games. Both Dad ‘n Me and The Room Tribute are now running via Ruffle, despite a lack of SetVolume support that will be addressed in a future update. You’ll notice music and some sounds don’t crossfade correctly at the moment.

I’ve also enabled Ruffle for Madness Accelerant, which likely runs fine on newer computers. Ruffle is currently focused on compatibility vs speed optimizations; expect things to run better and better over time.

I’ve created a Ruffle Testing / Flash Preservation Crew for people who would like to help test Flash content with Ruffle.

It seems like an insane effort is going towards erasing Flash from history, the same way an insane effort is going into preserving it. We have a path forward and progress will be steady. It will be exciting to see more and more classic content return to the web in the months to come, thanks to the efforts of the Ruffle team and everyone who helps test compatibility.

I feel like I should have more to say today but this is life; you keep moving forward.

More About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

Community News

The Best of December were announced this week! $900 in prizes were awarded and the Tankmas ADVENTure team donated theirs to our Drawing Tablet Giveaway. If you know an artist who is in need of a tablet, let them know applications are still open.

The top animation based on original material in January will win $250 and the top three games based on original material will each win $100.

Pixel Day, January 23rd, with almost $1,200 in prizes!

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

@Xinxinix is hosting a Sexiest Outfit Art Contest and Concept of Love Art Contest.

@SevenSeizeHasCookies is hosting a Valentine’s Day-Themed Writing Contest.

@Xinxinix made a great series of Best of 2020 Playlists.

Read this week’s edition of The Tank Tribune!

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/777537

I created an animation about its death

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 17:10:10 (edited 2021-01-12 17:17:49)

At 1/12/21 04:42 PM, Sonucais wrote:
At 1/12/21 04:33 PM, EreptileArt wrote: I don't know much about anything, but flash is blocked from working now in both my browser and the NG app on my old Windows 7 PC which I have explicitly denied from being able to update for over four years now. I think the problem is to do with Flash itself.
Windows 7 works different, as far as I know, in this case has nothing to do with Windows updates.

Please, try the following and tell us if works.

- Go to Control Panel
- Click Flash Player (32b)
- Delete every config/parameters you can (just in case)
- On the tab Playback press Peer-assisted Networking Settings by Site
- Add uploads.ungrounded.net
- Download the Flash Player Uninstaller on the bottom of this post
- Close all your browsers
- Use Flash Player Uninstaller
- Restart your computer
- Uninstall NG Flash Player (if installed)
- Download it again and reinstall it

Thanks for your help, the NG app now works correctly for pre-downloaded flash files. However, I cannot get it to load flash files from webpages. I tested this with Toss the Turtle on Newgrounds as well as some other websites, and all of them produced only a grey screen.

I cannot follow the initial advice anymore, either, since the config file did not reinstall.

EDIT: I can make it work by finding the .swf web address for flash files, I had assumed that the NG player did that automatically so I wouldn't need to go digging into source code, but ah well. It works, thank you!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 17:18:52 (edited 2021-01-12 17:19:01)

Lif gengeð foreward. Tómorgen biþ an nīwa dæg. ( O.E. life going forreward.Tomorrow is a new day.).

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 17:22:29

In a decade or two from now. This will happen all over again when HTML5 becomes obsolete.

All the content and media that is being happily created with HTML5, Will feel the same exact suffering Adobe Flash is feeling at this moment.

Respect is earned, NOT inherited.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 18:04:19

I didn't think it would actively be blocked :( this is quite a sad day, i feel like all my childhood friends have died

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - : : fart : : bikes: : - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 18:21:25 (edited 2021-01-12 18:23:40)

Any chance you'll make one that works for Apple Computers?

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 18:23:02

At 1/12/21 06:21 PM, JakBaronKing wrote: Any chance you'll make one that works for Apple Computers?

Probably not, given Apple's record with letting stuff work / keeping software working. Ruffle will save the day, though.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 18:37:00

So Tom a quick question, so when there will be a new update for the Newgrounds Player, regarding for it's code to function in the future (with the Window's or Apple's update, to counter-out this)?

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 18:48:55

Rest in peace Flash, I was confused when I loaded a game through Flash Player and it didn't work. I hope that Ruffle will go perfect (as people expect) and I can only wish for the best.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 19:12:07 (edited 2021-01-12 19:13:41)

I haven't been on this account in years, not since I was a kid --- I remember watching the old Madness shorts on my step-grandfather's Windows Vista PC back in the fall of 2010. My mother and I had to live with him and my grandmother after being basically homeless for a while, so it was my only access to any kind of games. So many hours spent on here... I got an Xbox 360 that Christmas, and eventually Steam, then went to college, and...

Man, time is just so incredibly terrifying... its passing, its insane ability to appear to move so quickly and so slowly, all at once...

If I drank, I'd raise a class in your honour, Flash. I'll miss you. My memories of a time that was, for me, so much easier, happier, and peaceful, even though I know nostalgia can be dangerous... I wish that I could turn back time...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 19:18:40

At 1/12/21 06:37 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: So Tom a quick question, so when there will be a new update for the Newgrounds Player, regarding for it's code to function in the future (with the Window's or Apple's update, to counter-out this)?

Update is in progress now and will release as soon as it’s ready, shouldn’t be too long.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 19:22:24

At 1/12/21 12:48 PM, dclxvi-satan wrote: There's another workaround different from https://sonucais.newgrounds.com/news/post/1137244 that suggests uninstalling updates (that's generally a bad idea) - edit Flash's config file mms.cfg.

Reference:
https://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplayer/articles/flash_player_admin_guide.html

I'm running Adobe Flash 32.0.0.465 on Windows 10 x64 (same trick works on my old PC with Windows 7 x64).
After making changes in the config - both browser's Flash plugin works (while it is still supported by the browser), as well as Newgrounds Player.

My settings in mms.cfg specific for Newgrounds:

Just to add to the conversation, this worked for me, I'm running Windows 8. DCLXVI is the MVP!

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 19:35:56

Heeee HEEEEE! I show my friends, who have little interest in animations, this thread! We used software in Flash and they all think I'm a nerdy punk who talks so much, crap, when I say, that Flash was going and it's gone and it was a big deal when the software we were using, can't be operated because it was powered by Flash. They don't understand why I use this website.

Yeah I feel a bit bad being dependent on this website for Flash news (and confirmation) because Google and other browsers, quietly removed it. I mean how they truly removed it and just told people (or the Flash followers) to stay clear from the 31st of December, just shows how much they hated Adobe's software embedded in their browser to begin with (in my opinion).

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 19:40:11

Very sad, good bye flash.

I'm your average Afro-American fetus. For example: I enjoy basketball, I'm rather good when I play too, but I'm much too busy scratching my horrific cracked skin these days.

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 19:51:42 (edited 2021-01-12 19:52:08)

At 1/12/21 07:18 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 1/12/21 06:37 PM, StickmanMarkinson wrote: So Tom a quick question, so when there will be a new update for the Newgrounds Player, regarding for it's code to function in the future (with the Window's or Apple's update, to counter-out this)?
Update is in progress now and will release as soon as it’s ready, shouldn’t be too long.

Well don't rush out on this product, the best of luck to you and the other admins working on the program itself.

SM/AMA/FAQs (Now both are ready, well sort of) My shortcuts

BBS Signature

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 20:06:15 (edited 2021-01-12 20:07:30)

Is the NG Player usable on older Windows Operating systems? I clung onto Windows 7 and desktop flash still works fine (though so does the browser version since I froze updates for both Firefox and Flash Player a few years ago in preparation). Also is a OS X Version of the NG Player in the cards? On Sierra at least desktop flash player still runs fine.

One thing I've noticed as I've been downloading SWF files that no-one really talks about is how memory efficient they are compared other movie/game storage methods. A MP4 file usually takes up over 10 times the memory of a comparable SWF file even at modest pixel counts, and will generally look worse because flash scales much better with higher resolution monitors due to being vector based. It's almost like the digital media equivalent of film in that way. The largest SWF files tend to be the ones that use a lot of high resolution Bitmaps, JPEGs, and the like.

Does ruffle only work properly on more up to date browsers? I stopped running current versions of browsers a while ago to avoid the flash preventing updates but the flash player on my Macbook wasn't old enough to lack the killswitch so keeping them in that condition is probably pointless now, unless recent Firefox updates have changed how the Web Info/Inspector works/stopped recognizing SWF files altogether. On Safari (Version 12.1.2) the file plays but you can't interact with anything, while on Firefox (Version 61.0.2) it gets stuck loading until the browser says it's taking up too much memory.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 20:18:44

I can independently confirm that, for a few other 3rd party websites like CDG for example, the recent loss of flash is having a devastating effect on them

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 20:47:01

Man, it's so sad to see Windows really going the extra mile to pour the salt in the wound. I'm sure it'll get fixed with future Ruffle / NG Player updates, but still. I had such a good time with Flash while it was around. I get that Unity's sort of poised as the general successor, but it's still sad to see such a part of web history go out like this.

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 21:04:54

it already died at the end of December...

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 22:05:32

I don't understand why Microsoft is forcing updates to get rid of Flash. Shouldn't it be up to the user itself to decide what works or doesn't work on their personal computer? Also, could Flash still work on other OS, or is it a Windows-exclusive program?

Response to The End of Flash 2021-01-12 22:14:56

At 1/12/21 11:28 AM, Little-Seven-Seize wrote:

When You Lose Something You Loved Its Hard To Move On. (GOODBYE FLASH)