00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Ryor just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year!

2,553 Views | 15 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Happy New Year!

Yesterday I posted a 2020 Newgrounds Retrospective, please give it a read.

Also read PsychoGoldfish’s Retrospective because it’s really good.

There’s a weird sort of anxiety in the air today… Like you can tell yourself it’s just another day but there’s a certain weight behind “ok 2020 is in the bag, now what are you doing for 2021 go go go go!” 

It’s also weird because all my life, 2020 was the sci-fi future date, then we got to 2020 and we had arrived in the future, but now we’re like… Continuing further into the future and it’s kind of scary.

I’m gonna keep the Daily Tablet and Featured Flash posts going to help ease us into the new year. It’s good to have some normalcy nowadays, especially with Flash likely still running in browsers until the 12th and the whole presidential transition happening on the 20th.

Community News

@Little-Rena has announced the 2020 BBS Awards Winners!

@meatcanyon is releasing Monster Lab Episode 1 this Sunday, January 3rd. 

Tankmas ADVENTure has one final surprise coming today!

We’ve extended our Double XP event through the end of January, so you can vote on at least ten items per day to log 20 XP. It would be great if you voted on more than ten, though.

Throughout December we’ve had a growing backlog of Under Judgment Movies and Under Judgment Games. If you start near the bottom of those lists, there are likely entries that only need a few votes to complete the judgment phase. It’s gotten crazy, I know.

Some good news from December is we managed to hit our 2020 goal of 4k supporters! Thank you everyone who turned up to support NG last year! We're hoping to keep this momentum going and cross 5k before the end of 2021.

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @colorsCrimsonTears.

He’s been illustrating on a six year old Nintendo 2DS…!

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

Before The Binding of Isaac, @Bluebaby (Edmund McMillen) and @Komix made Tri-achnid, a game where you play as an endangered species of exopod on the verge of extinction, in search of a safe haven for his young. Or as @MindChamber called it, “sad spider.”

This might not be the ideal game to open 2021 with because it’s pretty bleak, so apologies in advance for that. Performance isn’t great if you don’t have WebGL support but it’s actually a lot better than it was when I tested it a month ago. I’ve also enabled it for mobile, however the menu is busted on iOS. Would any Android users be down to try it and let me know how it goes for you?

Edmund is currently working on Mewgenics with @Glaiel-Gamer, while Komix is working on Squid Invaders!

January Events

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

Pixel Day will be January 23rd and there will be prizes for the best animation, games, art and music. If you are down to sponsor Pixel Day, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

Current Pixel Day sponsors are @JohnnyGuy $200, @AnonymousAlchemist $200, @SrPelo $100, @SantaSeven $100, @1DarkVoid $75, @53xy83457 $50, @Butzbo $25 and @Wegra $10, with NG tossing in $400 to bring the current prize pool to $1,160; almost triple what it was last year, with room to grow.

About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @Zombie-Pimp, @Ronald-McDonald-LoL, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this is our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 11:33:01

I have spotted that the classic portal is now loading upto 60 UJ submissions, which is good, maybe that'll help!

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 12:05:17

Happy new year to everyone!

Hopefully 2021 is a banger~

And thanks again for running the giveaway @tomfulp !

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 12:33:05

At 1/1/21 11:16 AM, TomFulp wrote: Happy New Year!

Yesterday I posted a 2020 Newgrounds Retrospective, please give it a read.

Also read PsychoGoldfish’s Retrospective because it’s really good.

There’s a weird sort of anxiety in the air today… Like you can tell yourself it’s just another day but there’s a certain weight behind “ok 2020 is in the bag, now what are you doing for 2021 go go go go!” 

It’s also weird because all my life, 2020 was the sci-fi future date, then we got to 2020 and we had arrived in the future, but now we’re like… Continuing further into the future and it’s kind of scary.

I’m gonna keep the Daily Tablet and Featured Flash posts going to help ease us into the new year. It’s good to have some normalcy nowadays, especially with Flash likely still running in browsers until the 12th and the whole presidential transition happening on the 20th.

Community News

@Little-Rena has announced the 2020 BBS Awards Winners!

@meatcanyon is releasing Monster Lab Episode 1 this Sunday, January 3rd. 

Tankmas ADVENTure has one final surprise coming today!

We’ve extended our Double XP event through the end of January, so you can vote on at least ten items per day to log 20 XP. It would be great if you voted on more than ten, though.

Throughout December we’ve had a growing backlog of Under Judgment Movies and Under Judgment Games. If you start near the bottom of those lists, there are likely entries that only need a few votes to complete the judgment phase. It’s gotten crazy, I know.

Some good news from December is we managed to hit our 2020 goal of 4k supporters! Thank you everyone who turned up to support NG last year! We're hoping to keep this momentum going and cross 5k before the end of 2021.

Today’s Drawing Tablet Recipient

Today’s tablet recipient is @colorsCrimsonTears.

https://www.newgrounds.com/art/view/colorscrimsontears/end-of-the-show

He’s been illustrating on a six year old Nintendo 2DS…!

Today’s Featured Flash (without Flash)

https://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/347467

Before The Binding of Isaac, @Bluebaby (Edmund McMillen) and @Komix made Tri-achnid, a game where you play as an endangered species of exopod on the verge of extinction, in search of a safe haven for his young. Or as @MindChamber called it, “sad spider.”

This might not be the ideal game to open 2021 with because it’s pretty bleak, so apologies in advance for that. Performance isn’t great if you don’t have WebGL support but it’s actually a lot better than it was when I tested it a month ago. I’ve also enabled it for mobile, however the menu is busted on iOS. Would any Android users be down to try it and let me know how it goes for you?

Edmund is currently working on Mewgenics with @Glaiel-Gamer, while Komix is working on Squid Invaders!

January Events

NG is hosting a Flash Forward Jam. We’re gonna surprise people with a bunch of new interactive Flash creations, running in browsers this January thanks to Ruffle, after Flash has been officially removed. Over $2,600 in prizes!

Pixel Day will be January 23rd and there will be prizes for the best animation, games, art and music. If you are down to sponsor Pixel Day, use the donation option on the Supporter page and PM me a heads up you donated towards game prizes.

Current Pixel Day sponsors are @JohnnyGuy $200, @AnonymousAlchemist $200, @SrPelo $100, @SantaSeven $100, @1DarkVoid $75, @53xy83457 $50, @Butzbo $25 and @Wegra $10, with NG tossing in $400 to bring the current prize pool to $1,160; almost triple what it was last year, with room to grow.

About Ruffle and Flash Preservation

Most of the content shared on NG nowadays isn’t Flash; you can share your HTML5 games and any sort of original animation you’ve made in video format, as well as art, music, voice reels and podcasts. As the original Flash Portal we continue to host both old and new Flash content.

Newgrounds sponsors the development of Ruffle.rs, to run Flash content in the browser without Flash. Flash will be removed from browsers at the end of the year but thanks to Ruffle, we can enjoy Flash forever! Ruffle doesn’t support everything yet, which is why we have Newgrounds Player as a desktop fallback until it does.

Ruffle was created by @Mike as an open-source alternative to the Flash plug-in, free of all the legacy problems associated with Flash. Lots of smart people have gotten involved with the project and you can sponsor it with money or help as a Rust developer.

About the Drawing Tablet Giveaway

Newgrounds is hosting a 2020 Drawing Tablet Giveaway, inviting artists to apply for the chance to receive a drawing tablet. Applications are still open, however you must be US-based (tablets are sent directly from Amazon) and your chances will greatly improve if you have examples of your art or animation here on Newgrounds.

We’ve received generous donations from @Egoraptor, @AnonymousAlchemist, @SinclairStrange, @RonDMC, @SaucySaucepan, @Afro-Ninja, @Jonas, @NCH, @Sabtastic, @Squidly, @MSGhero, @Rarykos, @Straqt, @kleinerjunge, @DevAesthetic, @NickSenny, @Zombie-Pimp, @Ronald-McDonald-LoL, @MrChambers, @53xy83457, @AKA-38CAUTION and @Wegra. As a result, this is our biggest tablet giveaway ever!

happy new year

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 17:08:08

Ok I didn't realize there were THAT many UJ entries.

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 17:09:11

At 1/1/21 11:16 AM, TomFulp wrote: Tankmas ADVENTure has one final surprise coming today!

Final Surprise is Live!!

Congrats on the tablet @colorsCrimsonTears!

Uncertainty or no, I'd say this New Year's off to a pretty good start so far. :) Seems like a good thing to maybe not take anything for granted, better keep making the best of each day you get! Time to get back to that spectacular truly-live-for-the-moment samurai mindset!!!

Nice update on the extra Classic Portal space too, aligns well with the 'Best of All Time' column and all now.

Happy New Year!

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 18:08:57

At 1/1/21 01:43 PM, MatthewMcChan wrote: I'm Sad That Adobe Flash Player Is Gone Tom!

It's still here though! ;) Not gone yet!

BBS Signature

Wick Editor is a good alternative to Flash (and it’s free). Just saying.

Happy 2021!

Jesus Christ is awesome B) and so are you (as long as you love your neighbors as you love yourself <3)

This website is my favorite place on the Internet lol

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-01 22:13:01

Ill never know what to do with a drawing tablet. Happy new year tom

I AM RAPPER ALYX I AM G EAZY I AM Z RO I AM THE KING OF THE GHETTO

ASK HOW

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-02 00:03:13

At 1/1/21 05:08 PM, MSGhero wrote: Ok I didn't realize there were THAT many UJ entries.

30 new submissions in 7 hours. Wow

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-02 00:18:10

At 1/1/21 11:16 AM, TomFulp wrote: I’ve also enabled it for mobile, however the menu is busted on iOS. Would any Android users be down to try it and let me know how it goes for you?

The menu worked fine on my phone, but the game itself was very laggy and I have no idea how to press space, ctrl or wasd while playing. Well...but the menu worked fine.

It takes a real man to cry

It takes a real woman to strive

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-02 01:47:41

I am having trouble getting pixel tool to work with animate cc. But I have been learning how to use blender. This will be a year I try to put out more things :-) **Hopefully Firefox keeps flash going!**

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-02 07:37:58

My flash player works just fine. Maybe they just left it turned on for my use only. I’ll allow it.

first post.

None

BBS Signature

At 1/2/21 12:03 AM, MSGhero wrote:
At 1/1/21 05:08 PM, MSGhero wrote: Ok I didn't realize there were THAT many UJ entries.
30 new submissions in 7 hours. Wow

It's crazy how the Portal's been flooded for maybe a month at this point and suddenly there are barely any UJ submissions at all... people must've been working like crazy trying to get things done and out just before the New Year, or for the New Year, and now suddenly it all reaaally calms down...

BBS Signature

Response to Drawing Tablet 37 and Happy New Year! 2021-01-27 05:02:00

Congrats on winning the drawing tablet number 37 colorsCrimsonTears. The last tablet of 2020.

Happy New Year to all. Hope 2021 is much better.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics

Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

BBS Signature