00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

Chan99 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

COVID-19

11,721 Views | 166 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 11:17:08

I'm gunna be getting a lot of sculpting, animating, and other artwork done. May finally start my graphic novel...

Got more music parodies I want to do too. Glad I finished this Robotnik Beatles parody last week!

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 11:21:23

Hopefully soon the media will get bored with this and we can get back to our lives.

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 12:16:50

We're just starting week 1 of closed schools here, so not quite sure how that's going to go. My daughter (who is in elementary school) got a big packet of worksheets sent home, and my youngest son (who's in high school) is just getting all his work online.

Normally I wouldn't be impacted too much since I work from home anyway, and not having to drive kids to and from school will remove a few interruptions from my typical work day. But I expect I'll have to play the role of teacher's assistant all week, so my productivity could end up being lower.

Outside of the house, it's pretty on par with everywhere else. All the stores are out of toilet paper, hand sanitizer, soap, etc. Dry good like pasta, raw beans, rice, etc, are mostly picked clean too, and canned goods are getting harder to find.

Apparently people are buying up ammo like crazy too. Gotta defend that TP after all.

I kind of saw where things where going when TP and hand sanitizer were getting hard to buy, so I already have a reasonable supply of food that should last a few weeks. Might have to venture out in the early AM when people aren't shopping yet for a few things here and there though.

On that note, most retail stores that are traditionally open all day or super late have cut hours down. Walmart, for example, is now only open from 7am to 8pm. I imagine the goal is to give them time to clean things and actually get stuff on the shelves, while encouraging more social distancing. I think they will probably just have larger crowds when people realize they can't come out during slower hours anymore.

In spite all of the insanity, you can tell people are clearly treating this time as a holiday and not a quarentine. Every park I've driven past recently is just full of kids climbing through each other's bacteria without a care in the world.

I was supposed to be in Canada over the weekend, visiting my sick grandma, but I ended up cancelling that trip last minute. Probably not the best time to visit an old lady with lung cancer. After seeing photos from how chaotic airports were this past weekend, I'm even more assured I made the right call.

I did go to the gym on Saturday, just to see what it looked like. It had about a third of the people, and they have people constantly going around disinfecting equipment. They have always had disinfecting wipes available across the facility too so you can clean anything you use. When I saw I had plenty of space to work out away from other people, I said fuck it and did my full routine. I'll probably be working out at home for a while though, just to be safe.

Oh, and my stock portfolio has dropped about 20% in the past 3 weeks, so that's awesome. My Republican relatives seem like they are getting fed up with the Trump administration during this pandemic. That may be a more shocking change than anything else that's happened so far.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 12:46:37

Didn't have any specific plans this week other than finishing some projects I've had hanging around (one of which is already finished so go me) but now that I think about it this might be a good opportunity to try and learn/practise some animation and/or coding

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 13:19:13

At 3/16/20 01:06 PM, Zymbot wrote: I hope the government is swell enough to give us our constitutional rights back after this all blows over, but you never know...

Now I'm picturing Trump using this as an excuse to suspend elections.

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 13:35:24

At 3/16/20 01:19 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/16/20 01:06 PM, Zymbot wrote: I hope the government is swell enough to give us our constitutional rights back after this all blows over, but you never know...

Trump goes full Putin and every other country starts calling the US a commie nation out of spite.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 13:57:17

At 3/15/20 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hope everyone in NG-land is staying healthy! We’re at the start of what will be at least a two week lockdown here in PA, with no school, gym, events, retail etc. Good thing there’s still the Internet!

Site-wise we have several updates coming this week, not to mention all the great stuff on the front page RIGHT NOW! You should have plenty of time this week to watch all those animations, play all the games and listen to all the music while browsing art. Remember, on any page with music you can click the thumbnail next to a song and it will play the entire list in-page.

What are YOUR plans this week? Are you staying home? Do you feel prepared?

Hey Tom, im glad i just logged in (moms place atm) cause i had 2 messages to answer but eh, im in Netherlands and believe me the hysteria is extreme here. And then i dont necessarily mean the people but the institutions. All centers, schools etc closed, probably will be upscaled to isolation in homes but not sure yet. For me personally thats a dagger in the heart since my life consists of social work and community fitness/sports etc.. and im all off the grid atm (no internet, tv or even no smartphone in my life/home) So ... pray for me. -Cal.

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:00:05

At 3/16/20 01:57 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
Hey Tom, im glad i just logged in (moms place atm) cause i had 2 messages to answer but eh, im in Netherlands and believe me the hysteria is extreme here. And then i dont necessarily mean the people but the institutions. All centers, schools etc closed, probably will be upscaled to isolation in homes but not sure yet. For me personally thats a dagger in the heart since my life consists of social work and community fitness/sports etc.. and im all off the grid atm (no internet, tv or even no smartphone in my life/home) So ... pray for me. -Cal.

Can't imagine being off-grid during all of this! Do you have a Kindle? Maybe we should come up with a reading list for people who want to get through some books this month. I'm currently reading Food Fix.

I do miss the gym the most right now.

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:05:15

At 3/15/20 04:45 PM, Tyler wrote:
At 3/15/20 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: What are YOUR plans this week? Are you staying home? Do you feel prepared?
My supplement drawer is STACKED. Sharing for others:

Based on nutraceuticals research: (source)

Woh i have had my closet full of that stuff for ages ;) Spirulina is great yeah, dont forget about kelp (iodine) ;)

Original, classical and retro videogame music composer. (No longer take project clients from newgrounds but if you need a track or two from what ive got pm me.)

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:20:29

At 3/16/20 02:00 PM, TomFulp wrote:
At 3/16/20 01:57 PM, Calamaistr wrote:
Can't imagine being off-grid during all of this! Do you have a Kindle? Maybe we should come up with a reading list for people who want to get through some books this month. I'm currently reading Food Fix.

I do miss the gym the most right now.

had to look up what kindle was lol.. no man i dont have ebooks but i have real books.. i also do alot of warhammer painting these days (huge table top in my house) and stlil play guitar but its not having little to do that is the main problem if im forced to home-isolate.. its that i cant talk to people or ..well.. get physical. I need human contact man. And thats made impossible. And yes i REALLY do miss the gym. Ive been doing some easterneuropeangym in my mothers backyard today with cinderblocks etc. lmao.. but that too is mostly the social aspect of the gym i miss.. its what motivates me by seeing people do certain workouts. Ive gotten really fit these days, doing alot of cardio through boxing, and have been concentrating on strengthening my back and chest which i prefer constructs for over doing pushups etc (which give me too much headache) , Its good to read and talk with you guys a bit atm, i wouldnt have a prob getting through half a year of isolation if i had internet getting drowned in videos and games again but my lifestyle isnt like that anymore and i really like how healthy i am now compared to my old mans bones during my work as digital composer back when. Urgh..

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:27:47

The virus has a high survival rate, theres no need to panic. I don't know why people are buying toilet paper when they can just use water and soap.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:32:44

At 3/16/20 02:27 PM, Kieran wrote: The virus has a high survival rate, theres no need to panic. I don't know why people are buying toilet paper when they can just use water and soap.

Or tree leaves! (anyway im going home so off grid again cant read and answer replies but if im still allowed to bicicle around town this week ill try to check back a bit how you guys all are doing)

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:39:41

That emoticon is what COVID-19 looks like. Be careful everyone

Coolier than thou

Best Toon

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 14:59:22

Quarantine isn't something that'd have a huge effect on me personally, since I've essentially been doing that to myself already for the past year in pursuit of my own recovery. I am hella worried about my dad and my grandpa though; their odds of survival would be much lower than my own were they to get sick. Luckily dad has a pretty robust understanding of procedure for this kind of thing, but all it takes is one person to get infected and bring it home. I'm pretty uneasy about that.

I'm pretty well-prepared in terms of consumable materials though! Got plenty of food for both myself and my cat.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 15:07:15 (edited 2020-03-16 15:07:58)

Oh, and I forgot to mention it but this is a thought that's been swirling around in my noggin lately: a mass quarantine is perhaps among the best possible situations in which to be an artist! The caloric expenditure required for our work is pretty low, assuming it's digital we need no additional materials for it, and everybody else is going to be going mad with boredom without any kinds of fresh new distractions in their lives!

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 16:05:49

They just told our county and several other surrounding counties to shelter in place. No going outside, everyone stuck in their homes until April 7th!

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 16:18:28

There's my uncle down with a fever and cough.

Last saw him on Wednesday. Pretty sure that's me fucked.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 16:48:25 (edited 2020-03-16 16:51:36)

Stay strong!

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 16:50:10 (edited 2020-03-16 16:50:49)

It sounds like everyone else in the UK and such is at least being cared for; here in the US the government is deliberately denying tests for covid-19. We only give 5 tests per 1 million people—which is the worldwide rock-bottom of the scale—and life is everything but bearable. I’m not scared, I’m angry at the government. Here in southern CA, gatherings of over 250 people are indefinitely illegal, which I guess is the one smart move they’ve made. Stay strong, everyone!

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 17:25:46

My workplace, SiriusXM, has instructed all employees that aren't involved "critical business functions" to work from home until the end of the month. Our office has turned into a ghost town with the normally full parking lot having like 15 cars in it.

Unfortunately for me, my job includes running radio shows which is pretty damn critical to a satellite radio company so I'm not going ANYWHERE. Looks like I'm not working at home for a while. At least they're paying for my meals and giving me the security of knowing that my job is safe during these trying times.

As far as my home life goes? I can say that I'm safely stocked up on essential food items like this one:

iu_101716_1658435.jpg

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 18:00:58

yeah, those are tough times, but if we will all follow the safety rules and stay indoors, while we respect all the health rules+regulations, i think that we will be fine then.

lets lay low and stay inside, and hopefully the ''storm'' will pass eventually.

personally, im gonna make some more clockcrew movies and i will voice-act for some personal projects too, so i will try to use my free time wisely, if i can.

be well, everyone, and lets try to stay strong in this mess.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 18:32:51

At 3/16/20 04:05 PM, Fro wrote: They just told our county and several other surrounding counties to shelter in place. No going outside, everyone stuck in their homes until April 7th!

I have a feeling everyone will be shutting down until after Spring break at the least, for example if kids here went back to school in two weeks, they would have like one week of school and then spring break, so might as well just go four weeks.

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 18:43:07

I wouldn't worry much. I'm just staying home for the time being and just make the most of it.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 19:10:24

At 3/16/20 01:35 PM, Urichov wrote:
At 3/16/20 01:19 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Trump goes full Putin and every other country starts calling the US a commie nation out of spite.

Maybe this was the plan all along.

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 19:18:58 (edited 2020-03-16 19:26:00)

At 3/16/20 11:06 AM, TomFulp wrote: The variety of replies have been a fascinating read so far! I'm really curious to keep hearing from more people about what it's like in their area and what their life will look like over the next few weeks.

Ditto. Way more personal than those worldwide situation maps too.

Update since last: I'm working home a couple days. Back to commuting on Friday.

Case numbers in Sweden are probably highly misleading though since anyone not within a risk group aren't allowed to get tested. They're saving on resources for those who need them. Thus, as everyday life moves on as usual, it seems somewhat plausible they'll suddenly realize that it's way worse than they expected, and this deceptive calm then makes way for that greater chaos now reflected in more Western parts of the world...

Or it's all really not as bad as the media makes it seem and it'll blow over shortly.

The world feels somewhat surreal right now.

At 3/16/20 12:00 PM, Sekhem wrote: either flatten the curve or spike so exponentially that nothing stops it -- either way, let travel fucking resume

And so the spread resumes and transcends potential containment again...

Just booked in a trip for summer though, so do hope so too. Flights are pretty cheap right now.

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 19:19:29

At 3/16/20 02:39 PM, Deity-Donkus wrote: That emoticon is what COVID-19 looks like. Be careful everyone

Worst case scenario more like ^

All the best.

BBS Signature

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 19:45:33

I’ll be staying home, animating. :/

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 20:53:49

At 3/15/20 02:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: Hope everyone in NG-land is staying healthy! We’re at the start of what will be at least a two week lockdown here in PA, with no school, gym, events, retail etc. Good thing there’s still the Internet!

Site-wise we have several updates coming this week, not to mention all the great stuff on the front page RIGHT NOW! You should have plenty of time this week to watch all those animations, play all the games and listen to all the music while browsing art. Remember, on any page with music you can click the thumbnail next to a song and it will play the entire list in-page.

stop mo in my bedroom and panini maker on my bed

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 21:31:11

Because of the two week lock down, I will be spending my time learning to make simple flash games. I do not have anything else to do.

Response to COVID-19 2020-03-16 23:19:54 (edited 2020-03-16 23:21:04)

I won't say much, Although I am stuck in Atlanta for at least another 14-20 days. Great...... I was so close buying some airline tickets to head back to California and stuff like this happens. I got soda Cans getting thrown at me, I get it but most members here didn't face the same amount of Hatred than me. It's all because I'm Asian and have a different Political view. nowadays, I just knew something fishy is going on. If some bogus Miracle happens that I can head back to LA County, People better not be violent towards me. I swear, sometimes it's tough living in a situation. I just want to move from California to Washington [State] because moving to the West Coast [California wise] was the biggest mistake I've done in my life. Yet, I am not a Fan of the East Coast either. I just hope things will get better for me, seriously because It's getting really aggravating right now. To make things clear I don't live in Burbank, I live within the SGV which means I live within one of those areas. I no longer live in the San Fernando Valley.