00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ItsJaron just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

MWC19 - April - Discussion

1,801 Views | 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Please post all questions, concerns, and comments for the April Writing Competition in this thread.

DO NOT DISCUSS THE CONTEST IN THE ENTRY THREAD. ALL QUESTIONS, CONCERNS AND COMMENTS GO IN THIS THREAD.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-06 19:55:35

Nothing comes to me immediately, but I will work on it. As usual, I expect to rough something in the next couple of weeks- probably while I travel to Scotland; travel often inspires me to write. At the moment I am trying to write a poem for a competition. I have a string of ideas for possible stories, but NO idea how to make it into a poem!

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-06 23:48:47

At 4/6/19 07:55 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Nothing comes to me immediately, but I will work on it. As usual, I expect to rough something in the next couple of weeks- probably while I travel to Scotland; travel often inspires me to write. At the moment I am trying to write a poem for a competition. I have a string of ideas for possible stories, but NO idea how to make it into a poem!

No personal experiences? I mean it is about a fool. Damn... I should just share some of my life stories and it'll give everyone a bunch of ideas.

Where are you entering the competition at? I might be interested in doing a few myself.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-07 14:01:24

Two questions:

1) When we reply to the main thread, can we only directly post our story as a reply or can we link it to a Google Doc?

2) Any restrictions on content? (i.e. no cursing/adult themes)

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-07 14:14:23

At 4/7/19 02:01 PM, spirit9871 wrote: Two questions:

1) When we reply to the main thread, can we only directly post our story as a reply or can we link it to a Google Doc?

I rather it be posted directly into the thread for a couple of reasons. Once you submit it needs to be your final draft. I dont want you to be able to edit it later on.

I also would rather it be posted directly into the post as a reply for record keeping purposes. A link to a google doc ten years from now might not be useable because of documents being deleted or moved.

Any content is allowed even including sensitive topics that usually wouldn't be allowed in other sections of the forums. Refer to the forum rules pinned at the top of the forum for specefics. Basically anything is allowed to keep your characters true to form. If a character is racist you can use appropriate language and scenarios. As long as your piece isn't some sort of hate speech in itself then you won't be limited.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-07 15:01:25

At 4/7/19 02:14 PM, Fro wrote:
At 4/7/19 02:01 PM, spirit9871 wrote: Two questions:

I rather it be posted directly into the thread for a couple of reasons. Once you submit it needs to be your final draft. I dont want you to be able to edit it later on.

I also would rather it be posted directly into the post as a reply for record keeping purposes. A link to a google doc ten years from now might not be useable because of documents being deleted or moved.

Any content is allowed even including sensitive topics that usually wouldn't be allowed in other sections of the forums. Refer to the forum rules pinned at the top of the forum for specefics. Basically anything is allowed to keep your characters true to form. If a character is racist you can use appropriate language and scenarios. As long as your piece isn't some sort of hate speech in itself then you won't be limited.

Thank you for the detailed reply.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-07 18:27:14

At 4/6/19 11:48 PM, Fro wrote:
At 4/6/19 07:55 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Nothing comes to me immediately, but I will work on it. As usual, I expect to rough something in the next couple of weeks- probably while I travel to Scotland; travel often inspires me to write. At the moment I am trying to write a poem for a competition. I have a string of ideas for possible stories, but NO idea how to make it into a poem!
No personal experiences? I mean it is about a fool. Damn... I should just share some of my life stories and it'll give everyone a bunch of ideas.

-- Oh, I have PLENTY of experiences of fools, self included. Something will turn up.

Where are you entering the competition at? I might be interested in doing a few myself.

--- Sorry, the Lamb Festival is only open to locals.

BBS Signature

At 4/7/19 06:27 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:

--- Sorry, the Lamb Festival is only open to locals.

I noticed that I just missed a local writing competition at one of the big bookstores here. I'm going to try and be ready for next years prompt. It's been a long time since I've competed in a local video or writing competition. Maybe about 14 years ago sounds about right.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-13 11:59:45

@IceDragon64 and @SevenSeize

I don't think I'll be able to judge next month's competition. (Even this month is a challenge for me) Would someone like to come up with a theme and organize the competition for the next month? Not limited to the two people that I've tagged, just tagging those who I thought may be interested.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-17 18:16:07

I wrote a cool story, but I'm over the character limit :/

Now what ?

*xin laugh*

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-17 18:17:50

At 4/17/19 06:16 PM, Xinxinix wrote: I wrote a cool story, but I'm over the character limit :/

Now what ?

How much are you over? It's generally just a time saving feature for me. If it's not much more than a couple hundred of words then that is fine.

I just don't want to be reading 10 post stories all night. :P

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-17 18:21:48

At 4/17/19 06:17 PM, Fro wrote:
At 4/17/19 06:16 PM, Xinxinix wrote: I wrote a cool story, but I'm over the character limit :/

Now what ?
How much are you over? It's generally just a time saving feature for me. If it's not much more than a couple hundred of words then that is fine.

Like for an NG post, I'm over by 4,000 characters.

I'm not over the word limit lol. It's only 2,000 words long.

So, do I just make it two separate posts ?

*xin laugh*

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-17 18:27:18

At 4/17/19 06:21 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 4/17/19 06:17 PM, Fro wrote:

Now what ?

Like for an NG post, I'm over by 4,000 characters.

I'm not over the word limit lol. It's only 2,000 words long.

So, do I just make it two separate posts ?

Ohhhhh, yeah, just post a couple of posts back to back. You shouldn't have to worry about anyone posting in between if it makes you wait a little. If somehow someone starts posting their story at the same time as you I'll be able to figure out the mix up, but it's never been a problem before.

Some take 2-4 posts, completely normal.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-17 18:52:36

At 4/17/19 06:27 PM, Fro wrote: Ohhhhh, yeah, just post a couple of posts back to back. You shouldn't have to worry about anyone posting in between if it makes you wait a little. If somehow someone starts posting their story at the same time as you I'll be able to figure out the mix up, but it's never been a problem before.

Some take 2-4 posts, completely normal.

Okay ! I wasn't sure lol.

Sorry !! I edited both my posts because I noticed some discrepancies in the tense (past tense, future tense, etc.) and also a typo. I'm no longer able to edit and they can be considered my final drafts ;o

*xin laugh*

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-20 20:13:53

At 4/1/19 11:07 AM, Fro wrote: Please post all CONCERNS.

Definitely gotta proofread more than once before you get too excited and post the damn thing :(

*xin laugh*

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-20 21:09:10

At 4/13/19 11:59 AM, Fro wrote: @IceDragon64 and @SevenSeize

I don't think I'll be able to judge next month's competition. (Even this month is a challenge for me) Would someone like to come up with a theme and organize the competition for the next month? Not limited to the two people that I've tagged, just tagging those who I thought may be interested.

-- Sorry, I've been away. OK, I can do that. What's happening to March competition? We are almost through April.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-04-24 12:41:02

I'm struggling this month. I have written the first 500 words, but I'm not sure where I'm going with this one. It is such a simple subject to write about- why do I always have to complicate it?

Hmm. I see the results have come out on our VA competition. At least I wasn't last. Not too bad for a first attempt at VA. I will do more in due course, but I am busy right now.

BBS Signature

Hope you like it, Mine's much more artsy, but it's dark and personal. If you got questions, I'll be willing to answer them...some of them. Writing here helps me stretch out my creative muscles before continuing my novel.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-02 17:52:13

At 5/1/19 04:37 PM, akoronthebastard wrote: Hope you like it, Mine's much more artsy, but it's dark and personal. If you got questions, I'll be willing to answer them...some of them. Writing here helps me stretch out my creative muscles before continuing my novel.

• Oooh, tell us about your novel. I have had a few small things published but I have been working on mine for over thirty years !

BBS Signature

Urgh ! I mis-remembered and thought I had until the Starwars Day (May the Forth...) I reread it half a dozen times, unsure of having got it right and ripped it apart to put it back together. Oh, Shoot, I forgot something....

Sorry, had to rush back and drop in a vital sentence. I had scribbled it and ringed around it on my notes, but still forgotten it. Now, to get on with NEXT MONTH I said I would do...

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-03 01:14:33

At 5/2/19 05:52 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:
At 5/1/19 04:37 PM, akoronthebastard wrote: Hope you like it, Mine's much more artsy, but it's dark and personal. If you got questions, I'll be willing to answer them...some of them. Writing here helps me stretch out my creative muscles before continuing my novel.

Thirty years?! Dang I only been working on mine for about two years. I'm very strict on my novel talk. It's relies heavily on ambiguity and I hate spoilers even the smallest one. I'm a strong believer that the less the reader knows, the better the experience.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-03 09:31:12

At 5/2/19 05:55 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Urgh ! I mis-remembered and thought I had until the Starwars Day (May the Forth...) I reread it half a dozen times, unsure of having got it right and ripped it apart to put it back together. Oh, Shoot, I forgot something....

Sorry, had to rush back and drop in a vital sentence. I had scribbled it and ringed around it on my notes, but still forgotten it. Now, to get on with NEXT MONTH I said I would do...

Sorry, I was very unsure with your message if you were going to do it or not. I don't think you ever said with certainty that you were going to, just that you would try.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-05 21:56:31

At 5/3/19 09:31 AM, RoboFrobo wrote:
At 5/2/19 05:55 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Urgh ! I mis-remembered and thought I had until the Starwars Day (May the Forth...) I reread it half a dozen times, unsure of having got it right and ripped it apart to put it back together. Oh, Shoot, I forgot something....

Sorry, I was very unsure with your message if you were going to do it or not. I don't think you ever said with certainty that you were going to, just that you would try.

• Its all fine. Am snowed under myself anyway.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-13 20:20:58

Well, I won. I wanted to win. Winning is nice.

Stupid Question- What IS a "Supporter" What does it do?

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-14 16:33:57

At 5/13/19 08:20 PM, IceDragon64 wrote: Well, I won. I wanted to win. Winning is nice.

Stupid Question- What IS a "Supporter" What does it do?

Well, basically you can give newgrounds a donation per month or per year in return to get supporter status. Supporter status gives you access to the site, ad free along with some other thing such as access to the supporter forum, animated signatures, and a few other things that you can find under you account settings like changing your username, level icon, etc...

Also, some secret games in your account settings too.

https://www.newgrounds.com/supporter

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-15 02:14:32

What...? there are secret games...? Where do they talk about these stuff..? Is there a secret forum for that as well 😅

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-15 09:24:12

At 5/15/19 02:14 AM, 123survesh wrote: What...? there are secret games...? Where do they talk about these stuff..? Is there a secret forum for that as well 😅

You can find the 2 secret games right on top of this page.

https://www.newgrounds.com/account

and your secret forum is here

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/forum/24

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-15 11:15:11

Thanks fro 🙂

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-15 12:56:28

Who were the winners ?

*xin laugh*

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-15 12:59:28

At 5/15/19 12:56 PM, Xinxinix wrote: Who were the winners ?

Hello, I should be able to judge everything this weekend. I'm behind by a week or two on all my tasks because I recently had a foster child. They are no longer placed with me so I'm catching up on everything!

I haven't read anything yet. I'll get a 6 pack of beer and read everything in my recliner this Saturday.