00:00
00:00

MWC19 - April - Discussion

613 Views | 48 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-15 17:07:10

At 5/15/19 12:59 PM, RoboFrobo wrote:
Hello, I should be able to judge everything this weekend. I'm behind by a week or two on all my tasks because I recently had a foster child. They are no longer placed with me so I'm catching up on everything!

Awesome !! Who knew Fro had a heart of gol' (-:

I haven't read anything yet. I'll get a 6 pack of beer and read everything in my recliner this Saturday.

Nice !! There aren't too, too many to read, so it should be a pretty casual Saturday for ya.

Thanks for hosting this thang, man.

Struggle a bit, and learn about yourself.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-18 14:04:29

I've read and made my decision on the top 3. I just need to sleep on what order the top 3 should be placed in. Tomorrow I will post the results.

After much debate and an average amount of sleep I've come up with my selections. They were jumbled around a bit, but at the end of the day I was overthinking it. At times I had thought my first place selection should be number 3 and that my 3 should be 2 or 1 and that my 2 should be 3 or 1. Sooooooooo here we go.

I literally switched my places again while writing this post.

1st Place: @Xinxinix

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26324316_post_text

An interesting twist on the classic zombie genre. It follows a scientist with a god complex and shows the complex nature of the human soul. Very well written, nice idea, nice flow, and nice original concept.

2nd Place: @spirit9871

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26328165_post_text

A very well written piece of a foolish man getting what's coming to him. I felt that the outcome was a bit predictable, but nicely done.

3rd Place: @IceDragon64

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26330361_post_text

Simple, but to me the best written submission out of the entire group. Sometimes it can be content over quality when it comes to writing, especially when the other two submissions also were very high quality. Nonetheless, a very good story about a Fool, a King, and a King who's a Fool, and a Fool who's a King.

----------

Overall, I think all of the entries did a great job at painting a visual. Sometimes that can be the hardest thing to do, but I could imagine each scene quite vividly.

Here's some other comments on other stories in no particular order:

@satanbrain

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26330324_post_text

You had me laughing. This was a very funny submission.

@123survesh

You are an incredibly talented and creative writer. I'd like to know what's going on in that head of yours.... well... now that I think of it maybe not.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26330278_post_text

@akoronthebastard

A true wtf story. O.o

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26327391_post_text

Don't read into it too much if I didn't make a comment about someone's entry. It doesn't mean it was a bad or that these were better. I wish I had more time to write a detailed review of each, but I just have time to make a few short comments!

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-20 17:03:35

At 5/20/19 04:42 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: After much debate and an average amount of sleep I've come up with my selections. They were jumbled around a bit, but at the end of the day I was overthinking it. At times I had thought my first place selection should be number 3 and that my 3 should be 2 or 1 and that my 2 should be 3 or 1. Sooooooooo here we go.

Congrats everyone!

@icedragon64 - you're already a supporter, is there someone you'd like to gift honorary supporter status to?

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

At 5/20/19 04:42 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: After much debate and an average amount of sleep I've come up with my selections. They were jumbled around a bit, but at the end of the day I was overthinking it.

I can tell why-- these were so well done !

Thanks Fro, Hidden Judge 1, Hidden Judge 2, and everyone who read it !

There were times where I didn't know where I was going with it...

My personal fave.

I love how the setting is-- the personalities clash in very realistic, vivid ways. It's like you can feel the atmosphere of the room as the characters' moods change and exchange.

A really good, interesting story!

The characters are easy to imagine and the dialogue is intuitive! The way its written really makes a kind of fairytale atmosphere where you're waiting to see how the protagonist pulls it off. And it was pretty convincing, too.

At 5/20/19 05:03 PM, TomFulp wrote:
Congrats everyone!

Thanks Tom!

I never write anything, but I always have the urge to. And Newgrounds finally gave me a reason to.

I'm glad there's an easily web-ccessible creative community spot to hangout at (-:

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-20 22:04:46

At 5/20/19 04:42 PM, RoboFrobo wrote:

@akoronthebastard

A true wtf story. O.o

Yup that was the intention. It's meant to be about the disconnection of texting in relationships. Wanted to make something surreal to put that point forward even more. The fool part is something you got to think about. Thanks for mentioning me though.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-20 22:14:58

At 5/20/19 10:00 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
At 5/20/19 04:42 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: After much debate and an average amount of sleep I've come up with my selections. They were jumbled around a bit, but at the end of the day I was overthinking it.

Thanks Fro, Hidden Judge 1, Hidden Judge 2, and everyone who read it !

There were times where I didn't know where I was going with it...

My personal fave.

I love how the setting is-- the personalities clash in very realistic, vivid ways. It's like you can feel the atmosphere of the room as the characters' moods change and exchange.

The characters are easy to imagine and the dialogue is intuitive! The way its written really makes a kind of fairytale atmosphere where you're waiting to see how the protagonist pulls it off. And it was pretty convincing, too.

Congrats everyone!
Thanks Tom!

I never write anything, but I always have the urge to. And Newgrounds finally gave me a reason to.

I'm glad there's an easily web-ccessible creative community spot to hangout at (-:

Hey! Congratulations dude!

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-20 22:24:24

At 5/20/19 04:42 PM, RoboFrobo wrote: After much debate and an average amount of sleep I've come up with my selections. They were jumbled around a bit, but at the end of the day I was overthinking it. At times I had thought my first place selection should be number 3 and that my 3 should be 2 or 1 and that my 2 should be 3 or 1. Sooooooooo here we go.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26324316_post_text

An interesting twist on the classic zombie genre. It follows a scientist with a god complex and shows the complex nature of the human soul. Very well written, nice idea, nice flow, and nice original concept.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26328165_post_text

A very well written piece of a foolish man getting what's coming to him. I felt that the outcome was a bit predictable, but nicely done.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26330361_post_text

Simple, but to me the best written submission out of the entire group. Sometimes it can be content over quality when it comes to writing, especially when the other two submissions also were very high quality. Nonetheless, a very good story about a Fool, a King, and a King who's a Fool, and a Fool who's a King.

----------

Overall, I think all of the entries did a great job at painting a visual. Sometimes that can be the hardest thing to do, but I could imagine each scene quite vividly.

Here's some other comments on other stories in no particular order:

@satanbrain

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26330324_post_text

You had me laughing. This was a very funny submission.

@123survesh

You are an incredibly talented and creative writer. I'd like to know what's going on in that head of yours.... well... now that I think of it maybe not.

https://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1440521#bbspost26330278_post_text

@akoronthebastard

A true wtf story. O.o

Don't read into it too much if I didn't make a comment about someone's entry. It doesn't mean it was a bad or that these were better. I wish I had more time to write a detailed review of each, but I just have time to make a few short comments!

Actually congratulations to everyone, you guys went hard and great stories came out of it.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-21 17:37:03

At 5/20/19 10:00 PM, Xinxinix wrote:

I tend not to use any sort of rubric so sometimes when the entries are so close together in terms of quality I have a difficult time. This month was really 1st place, 1st place 2, 1st place 3.

My personal fave.

I really liked it to, but there's just something about knowing what the ending is going to be halfway through the story that drives me nuts.

I would read a novel by this man. Maybe someday I will be.

Congrats everyone!
Thanks Tom!

I always feel burn out with these competitions, but comments like these keep them going. I know we don't get many entries, but sometimes just having one person say something like this is worth it.

At 5/20/19 10:04 PM, akoronthebastard wrote:
At 5/20/19 04:42 PM, RoboFrobo wrote:

@akoronthebastard

A true wtf story. O.o

Yup that was the intention. It's meant to be about the disconnection of texting in relationships. Wanted to make something surreal to put that point forward even more. The fool part is something you got to think about. Thanks for mentioning me though.

I hope that didn't come off as your entry being bad because that's not what I meant by that comment. You wrote something straight out of a B-Horror/Sci-Fi Channel movie. One of my favorite things. :P

Congrats everyone!

@icedragon64 - you're already a supporter, is there someone you'd like to gift honorary supporter status to?

---- I have consulted with RoboFrobo and we have decided that we would like https://enterthejebus.newgrounds.com/ to have it for his amusing entries- on the condition, enterthejebus, that you CONTINUE TO ENTER THE COMPETITION, as I do now you have Supporter status !

We are the Dragons & Spirits. We are friendly people. Best Wishes, Ice!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-21 18:05:59

Wow, thank you all so much for the amazing feedback! The other stories in this thread were really good too, I honestly thought I didn't stand much of a chance reading the other submissions.

I definitely appreciate the criticism as well; this was the first original piece I've written in years (I write Madness Combat fanfiction otherwise), and I wanted to pump something out by the deadline while I was in Japan for spring break. I'll definitely take the criticism you guys, as well as others outside of the forum, have taken the time to share and improve on myself. It definitely was a predictable ending in hindsight.

In any case, thanks again! This was a fun contest and props to everyone who participated/organized it!

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-21 18:27:57

Thank you for you grace in victory, Xinxinix !

---- The basic idea was simple enough, but working out how to make it plausible was the challenge and it took about ten days rewriting to achieve.

---- You will have to write more. Please do continue to enter the competitions. I look forward to challenging you in future Monthly's here !

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-21 18:40:39

I would read a novel by this man. Maybe someday I will be.

------- I'm working on it ! The trilogy The Dragon Tree Series is still a way from completion, I wrote a chapter for it for the February competition and the astute Fro sensed it to be so.

This month I wrote a completely new story from scratch as we should, but decided, as it is medieval, that I will insert it into my series of stories called Middle Europe. They are linked by a traveller, whom I inserted- the Captain of the Guard is an immortal prince, who turns up in various guises through time in each of the stories, often tinkering with destiny.

My publisher told me that she hopes to be able to publish a book of my stories in a couple of year's time, but told me to keep writing and keep entering competitions- so here I am. If y'all want to read more of my stuff go through my Page to my deviantArt acct, where all sorts of writing, including winners and other published stories are.

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-21 19:35:05

At 5/21/19 05:37 PM, RoboFrobo wrote:
I always feel burn out with these competitions, but comments like these keep them going. I know we don't get many entries, but sometimes just having one person say something like this is worth it.

I feel ya... I thought the prompt was good. It could be deciphered literally (icedragon), classically (spirit), and metaphorically (mine.)

It's almost good that we dont get too many entries. It leaves room for people who are serious about this shit (lol.)

I hope that didn't come off as your entry being bad because that's not what I meant by that comment. You wrote something straight out of a B-Horror/Sci-Fi Channel movie. One of my favorite things. :P

Same. Read it and liked how the tables turned in a very sci-fi-esque manner. It starts off getting you interested in their relationship and, as you wait for the twist, it catches you off guard with its abruptness and grotesque quality.

The questions I was instantly left with is why I love that genre.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-22 03:54:26

At 5/21/19 07:35 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
Same. Read it and liked how the tables turned in a very sci-fi-esque manner. It starts off getting you interested in their relationship and, as you wait for the twist, it catches you off guard with its abruptness and grotesque quality.

So basically, the twilight zone?

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-22 05:19:39

At 5/21/19 07:35 PM, Xinxinix wrote:
I feel ya... I thought the prompt was good. It could be deciphered literally (icedragon), classically (spirit), and metaphorically (mine.)

It's almost good that we dont get too many entries. It leaves room for people who are serious about this shit (lol.)

Also guys, if y'all have criticisms. Let me know bc I'm still a newb.

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-22 11:42:45

At 5/21/19 05:55 PM, IceDragon64 wrote:
Congrats everyone!

---- I have consulted with RoboFrobo and we have decided that we would like https://enterthejebus.newgrounds.com/ to have it for his amusing entries- on the condition, enterthejebus, that you CONTINUE TO ENTER THE COMPETITION, as I do now you have Supporter status !

Gifted!

Working on Nightmare Cops!

BBS Signature

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-05-30 10:08:23

Your story was super scary mate

Response to MWC19 - April - Discussion 2019-06-01 18:20:19

At 5/30/19 10:08 AM, 123survesh wrote: Your story was super scary mate

Haha, I'm actually a little happy to hear it. Wasn't really going for a horror aspect, but it's nice to see it gave some people some sort of an emotional response. :P

Thanks for reading and your feedback!